Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2851948 - 04/26/17 07:36 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Bluesape]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
My little Roland EX4 Cube Street gets most of my practice amp/PA use these days...I leave it set up at all times in my music room (with a mic and guitar chord at the ready), as it's such an easy grab and go! Only problem is, it's set up next to my Hot Rod 112 Deluxe and when I plug in to the tuber instead of the Cube, I keep wanting to load the tuber in the trunk too LOL! cool

GP Island
#2852002 - 04/26/17 10:26 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
In any amp that you get that has EL84's in the engine-room, when it's time to replace 'em, go with Matched sets of Ruby EL84CZ's in a GT Rating of #5, or "Average Distortion", Proper Spec, etc. (JJ EL84's are the same tubes, as well, but they're harder to find in good matched sets, easier to find for singles.) They'll last a long time, and sound very strong with well-defined lows, too.

"Vintage" NOS or ANOS EL84's probably won't last as long, will eventually fail even if they do last as long, probably won't sound siginicantly better- if at all, and WILL cost you MUCH TOO MUCH for something that will wear out before long.

Be sure to also change the Driver/Phase-Inverter tube to a fresh one, as the Output-Tubes and the Dr/PI work and wear-out together as a team.

As long as the amp is one that will benefit from it (Check with Myles Rose, or a qualified, knowledgeable tube-amp tech), go with a "Matched" or "Balanced" Phase-Inverter, preferably showing 1.1 or 1.2 ma plate-current.

I can heartily recommend a Sovtek 12AX7LPS that has been tested and found to have Matched/Balanced internal dual-triodes and healthy plate-current. (The same goes for using it with other types of Output-Tubes, such as EL-34's, 6V6's, etc.)

I bought my Matched Ruby EL84CZ's and Balanced/Matched Sovtek 12AX7LPS from Doug at Doug's Tubes, who personally tested and selected them for me. Doug was recommended to me by Myles, and both of them have done GREAT by me! Tubes that were tested and selected by Myles and Doug for me really made that proverbial "night and day difference" and have been VERY durable!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2852416 - 04/28/17 08:22 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Danzilla Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Not to undermine any of your plans, but if you're used to the Roland Blues Cube and just want to lighten the load, there is a 1x12" version listed in Baltimore:
Blues Cube 1 12 on Craigslist

#2852443 - 04/28/17 11:18 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Danzilla]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Have to say, that BC60 looks very clean, for an original? Most of them have lost the metal caps off the knobs, or at least show some serious tarnish. Doesn't look like anyone has even played that one . . .

Still, I'm going to hang onto my 310; it's served me well, and we've been together for a long time. I chose it for its sound, and its size, and for what it would cost me to get something similar now, I couldn't replace it. If I outlive it, I'm going to build a proper funeral pyre for it, out of respect.

If I were just looking to lighten the load, I wouldn't be so committed to investigating British tube amps. I'm changing up some elements of my sound, and this is part of the process. It may be a bit of a look backwards, but the sound of an SG or LP into a British Amp is a touchstone for me, whether we're talking about Live At Leeds or Inner Mounting Flame. There's also a tone that a live Tube Amp gets, when it's been driven hard, that no SS Amp can emulate. It's more than OD or Feedback, it's almost like something alive: That's the sound I'm looking for.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2852449 - 04/28/17 12:12 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
There's also a tone that a live Tube Amp gets, when it's been driven hard, that no SS Amp can emulate. It's more than OD or Feedback, it's almost like something alive: That's the sound I'm looking for.

The step-by-step interaction between fingers, strings, wood, tube-amp, harmonic-overtones, speakers, and back to fingers, etc. via acoustic feedback, subtle or extreme. Nuance and profundity both live there. One of the experiences that I really live for.

#2852945 - 05/01/17 11:46 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Quick update, and my thanks to everyone who chief in with an opinion or suggestion.

I took 'delivery' of a Laney VC30 212, this past weekend, courtesy of one of our Forum brothers, who loaded it up and drove it to where I was playing; truly a brotherly gesture. Haven't had a chance to fully drive it yet, but a preliminary test of the Clean Channel was very satisfying. I suspect that pushing the Laney with the Quantum Drive will give me the proper "roaring tone" I'm looking for. Think KC performing Red, live, and you've got the idea.

Word from Myles was that the Laney is more reliable than any of the recent Marshalls I was looking at, and more responsive than the Fender Deluxe VM. Those seemed like two very strong points in its favor.

BTW, @Bartholomew, you suggested that I look into Vox, and it turns out that the Laney is much more like a Vox, in terms of voicing, so this is me saying that you were right, after all.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2852967 - 05/01/17 01:20 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Woot!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2853039 - 05/01/17 07:02 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
+1 on the WOOT! KEEP US POSTED on how you like the Laney Winston! and, I'm so glad a forumite brother came to the rescue! like

#2853048 - 05/01/17 07:49 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Glad to hear it!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose