Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2850986 - 04/22/17 07:34 AM Marshall plan?
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Sorry, couldn't resist . . .

I'm looking to semi-retire my Roland Blues Cube, in favor of a Marshall combo, something around 40 or 50 watts. I really want a thick, creamy Clean tone, but with some serious mass behind it, something that gets along well with HB-equipped SG's & LP's. I've tried the Roland JC series amps, and they're too hi-fi sounding for me. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm really looking to down-size, a bit.

My Blues Cube pushes 75 watts RMS, through three 10-inch speakers, and weighs 75 pounds. One of the Marshall models I've been looking at pushes 40 watts, through 1 12-inch, and only weighs around 50 pounds. Here's the one I've been looking at . . . Marshall DSL40

My FLUMS also has this in stock, and I'm curious, even though I'm pretty well set on that Marshall sound . . . Fender Deluxe combo

I know that are legions of Amps out there, and many brands I haven't ever tried, or considered. That being said, I have easy access to lots of new and used Marshall and Fender Amps, near where I live, so I can grab my favorite SG, and head out to test amps, rather than taking a chance ordering online.

As always, suggestions and opinions, even contrary ones, are welcome.

Edited by Winston Psmith (04/22/17 07:35 AM)

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

GP Island
#2850995 - 04/22/17 08:01 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Between a Marshall and a Fender tuber, I'll pick the Fender every time (but that's just me LOL!)...If you compare the new Marshall to a used Fender Deluxe on Ebay, it isn't really a fair comparison. The Fender Deluxe will run just over a grand while the Marshall is just over $600...I would look at a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for just over $700 new. The Deluxe will put out 20watts while the Hot Rod will put out 40. The Hot rod weighs in about 40lbs and gets great sound...

Weight is always a major factor for tubers and SS amps. It's not easy to beat the HRD. I have a Hot Rod 410 DeVille that puts out 60watts but it weighs in at 10lbs heavier than the Hot Rod 112 Deluxe. The Hot Rod Deluxe wins in all categories IMHO...sorry, I know nothing about Marshalls other than the big time rockers like those big stacks LOL! cool

#2851018 - 04/22/17 09:20 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
To provide context to what follows, let me say I own a Fender HRD 1x12 combo that I love, and just recently got an Orange TH30 and a 2x12 cab. These are the only amps I have owned, so far.

1) that looks like a good deal on what I hear is a pretty good Marshall. Hard to go wrong.

2) bridging the Fender/Marshall tone divide is Fender's Bassbreaker line. The entire lineup is getting accolades, but for me, the 18/30 and the 45 are the best of the bunch. Not so much for the tones- they all sound good- but for their particular features.

3) the Carvin V3M is a compact, feature filled 3 channel, 50w amp that covers a lot of sonic territory. I've heard demos ranging from jazz to country to rock to high-gain metal.

4) the Quilter non-modeling solid state amps are worthy of a look. I was first turned onto them by a fellow GP forumite: they're lightweight, reliable tone machines. They take pedals like tube amps. Their main tone is kind of vintage classic rock, but I've heard guys get convincing metal tones out of them with the right pedals. I contacted them to ask for guidance as to which of their products might suit me, and Mr. Pat Quilter himself responded. I had been looking at the Aviator and the 101, but he suggested the Mach 2.

5) the discontinued Transatlantic (30w) and Royal Atlantic (100w) from Mesa were also contenders. They're pricier, but great. If you can find one, try it. Their prices in the used market have been falling lately because of their replacement in Mesa's product line.*

Those alternatives I suggested were all part of why it took me so damn long to buy my Orange. They don't sound like it, but each was good enough in its own way as to make me question whether the Orange was what I needed to buy first.

...because the others are still in my list.

* Their space in the line has currently been filled by the new Triple Crown 50w, which is @$1700, but can do just about everything except play the guitar for you. It is tonally similar to the TA & RA amps, but has even more features.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (04/22/17 09:54 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2851021 - 04/22/17 09:37 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Between a Marshall and a Fender tuber, I'll pick the Fender every time (but that's just me LOL!)...If you compare the new Marshall to a used Fender Deluxe on Ebay, it isn't really a fair comparison. The Fender Deluxe will run just over a grand while the Marshall is just over $600...I would look at a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for just over $700 new. The Deluxe will put out 20watts while the Hot Rod will put out 40. The Hot rod weighs in about 40lbs and gets great sound...

Weight is always a major factor for tubers and SS amps. It's not easy to beat the HRD. I have a Hot Rod 410 DeVille that puts out 60watts but it weighs in at 10lbs heavier than the Hot Rod 112 Deluxe. The Hot Rod Deluxe wins in all categories IMHO...sorry, I know nothing about Marshalls other than the big time rockers like those big stacks LOL! cool

@Larryz - the Fender in the ebay listing is at my FLUMS, which means I can get that particular Amp for right around $500; FWIW, it's also pushing 40 watts. They recently had one of those Marshalls, used, for right around $400, and it will switch between 20 and 40 watt operation.

No need nor use for the big Marshall stacks, personally. I rarely play anywhere where I need all the power of the the Blues Cube, which is why moving down to 40 watts and one 10 or 12-inch seems reasonable.

#2851023 - 04/22/17 09:47 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Dannyalcatraz - My FLUMS had one of those Marshalls listed on their site, for right around $400, but of course, it sold while I was considering it. $700 isn't bad, but I'm not looking to spend more than $500, less if I can manage it. Part of what's driving the change is that I'm slowly moving back to pedalboards over MFX, at least for one aspect of my sound, which means giving up the Amp Models in my MFX, as well.

I've looked at the new Blues Cubes, but that seems an overly expensive sideways move, at best. The most attractive aspect of the new Roland JC series is the Stereo In jacks, so you can finally plug your stereo effects into one bloody amp, but the FX S/R in back is still Mono Out/Stereo In!?!?!?! Also, never fell in love with the Roland JC Clean sound . . .

I'll look into some of those others, and if I see anything else that draws me, I'll post it.

Edited by Winston Psmith (04/22/17 09:47 AM)

#2851024 - 04/22/17 09:58 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Quilter 45, 101, 200, and 201 range from $150-450, and used V3Ms run @ $450-550 on Reverb. They're all heads, though.

And $400 for that Marshall? Sounds hard to beat.

#2851026 - 04/22/17 10:28 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
The Quilter 45, 101, 200, and 201 range from $150-450, and used V3Ms run @ $450-550 on Reverb. They're all heads, though.

And $400 for that Marshall? Sounds hard to beat.

Yeah, really looking for a combo. I scan the Ebay site for my FLUMS just about every day, as some stuff comes and goes very quickly. That's how I missed that Subdecay Starlight Flanger, a little while back, I thought about it for too long. The Marshall was very clean, I'm not surprised it got snatched up at that price: The Fender Deluxe VM is still there, however.

I've loved the sound of British Amps since I first heard Live At Leeds, way back when, right around the time I fell in love with the sound of the Gibson SG. The Fender Bassman was my second favorite, thus the Blues Cube. I think I paid around $200-225 for it, and I wasn't going to find a Bassman or a decent Marshall for anywhere near that money. (IIRC, Marshall was already importing cheap SS practice amps, at that time, so you could own something with the Marshall logo on it for under $200, but, still . . .)

#2851028 - 04/22/17 10:37 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
Trio (guitar, bass, drums) plus chick singer: One of the rehearsal studios we use has a 40 watt Marshall on one side of the room and a 40 watt Fender on the other. I split to each amp through a Boss CH-1 chorus and the sound with a light effect in stereo is amazing. Plus I sometimes use a Boss Blues Driver and back down my volume almost completely on the guitar...discussion for another thread.

Would be hard-pressed to make a choice but understand why you would go with the Marshall. The Fender is REALLY bright, crazy amount of treble and opens up too fast.

I have a Cube 60 COSM and have used it on small gigs. Doesn't come close to the feel and thickness of one of those tube amps mentioned so am sure you'll love it. Have also used a JC120 and find them sterile sounding with no feel - boring personality, bit of a thin sound like most of the SS amps out there.

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2851033 - 04/22/17 11:21 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Last time I was amp shopping was a very long day at the Hollywood Guitar Center. That must have been at least 15 years ago. I don't look for distortion from amps, to me that's a pedal process, so I'm really looking for great clean tone; warm & jazzy, with just enough highs for clear articulation, & enough EQ to tame the squanky midrange from humbuckers. That eliminated all the high gain contenders & it inevitably came down to Marshall vs Fender. The Hot Rod Deluxe had a broken switch & could only play in overdrive mode, and sounded thin & fizzy. I ended up going home with a 50watt JCM900 2 x 12 combo. Even though it's favored by metal guys it also has a great clean tone, plenty of tone control, headroom for days. But weighs a ton. Whatever the current 1 x 12 model of that amp is would be a great starting point.

#2851043 - 04/22/17 12:32 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I completely understand the desire for a combo. From 2005 until Christmas 2016, the HRD combo was my one & only.

What got me to buy a head & cab was my desire to:

1) have an amp that could handle heavier music than the HRD, coupled with...

2) all the nifty amps I fell in love with while shopping for said amp and...

3) the realization that while I might have the money to buy them all, I'll never have the space for all of them in combo form.

(Of course, some on my list- like Supros- only come as combos, so if I get one, I'll have no choice.)

#2851047 - 04/22/17 12:53 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
@Larryz - the Fender in the ebay listing is at my FLUMS, which means I can get that particular Amp for right around $500; FWIW, it's also pushing 40 watts. They recently had one of those Marshalls, used, for right around $400, and it will switch between 20 and 40 watt operation.

No need nor use for the big Marshall stacks, personally. I rarely play anywhere where I need all the power of the the Blues Cube, which is why moving down to 40 watts and one 10 or 12-inch seems reasonable.

30 to 40 watts is all you'll ever need, so if they still have that Fender Deluxe for $500 that's a good price for a used one (about 1/2 that of a newer one). Plus since it's not on EBAY you can test it out at your FMS and make sure you like it! Or like Bartholomew, you can get an ABY switch and run both! cool

#2851059 - 04/22/17 02:14 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Fender Deluxe is still there. They also have this Marshall and as Scott suggested, one of these!

The JCM900 looks like just the kind of thing I want, but the Dual Super Lead is a little more affordable. I'm going out tomorrow or Monday, to check them all out, and see what else is there.

#2851069 - 04/22/17 03:58 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The JCM900 looks like just the kind of thing I want, but the Dual Super Lead is a little more affordable. I'm going out tomorrow or Monday, to check them all out, and see what else is there.

Weighs too much, & 50 watts is more than most people need, but there is a 1/2 power switch. If they made this in a 1 x 12" at 25 watts it would be perfect. Check the DSL against the JCM & see if it's basically the same beast. I thought the DSL series were pretty much intended for high gain metalism.
Vox AC15?

#2851075 - 04/22/17 04:45 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (04/22/17 04:47 PM)

#2851121 - 04/22/17 09:43 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

The Fender Deluxe is still there. They also have this Marshall and as Scott suggested, one of these!

Cool! Keep us posted on the comparisons and let us know if you pull the trigger on one of them! Good Hunting! cool

#2851191 - 04/23/17 08:00 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser

Weighs too much, & 50 watts is more than most people need, but there is a 1/2 power switch. If they made this in a 1 x 12" at 25 watts it would be perfect. Check the DSL against the JCM & see if it's basically the same beast. I thought the DSL series were pretty much intended for high gain metalism.
Vox AC15?

50 pounds still drops 25 pounds off the weight of my BC-60. Same with the output wattage; even though it's called a BC-60, it puts out 75 watts RMS. (Yes, I always know to look for RMS ratings, rather than Peak.) I never turn it higher than 3 on the Clean channel. Still, can't bring myself to get rid of it.

The new Vox Amps have never called to me, for some reason? I associate them with a much brighter tone than I'm looking for, although I may be mistaken in that. While I'm not really looking for a high-gain Metal Amp, I've always said, scratch any Prog or Fusion player, and you'll find a Metalhead underneath, and I'm no exception.

If all else fails, I may just wait a while, save up some more money, and order THIS! That's the one I first saw, and missed, at around $400 used. If I'm going to wind up spending $700+/- for an Amp, I may as well get a new one.

#2851199 - 04/23/17 09:22 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Brief update: Thursday night, a blast of crazy weather took down a huge tree limb from our neighbor's Silver Maple, and dropped it into our back yard, sending a chunk right through the thick glass top of our outdoor table, among other new attractions. I went out on Friday, to clean up as best I could, and was driven back indoors by 1-inch hailstones. Yeah, that kind of day . . .

House is untouched, but there's a BIG mess back there. Chainsaw crew won't be out until sometime next week, so I'm hauling out the hand tools to do what I can while I have a sunny, pleasant day to work. Next few days look like even more rain, if not a plague of frogs, so I'll probably try to be useful today, and save my trip to check out Amps until tomorrow, or the next day.

FWIW, there's a new GC opening in my neighborhood next week, too, within walking distance. Despite her reservations, my wife was the one to tell about the Grand Opening.

#2851203 - 04/23/17 09:41 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Safety first!

In your case, that means wear eye protection, always be aware of where your axe or chainsaw is going, and don't buy any $10,000 amps at the CG Grand Opening.

#2851206 - 04/23/17 10:07 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A small herd of iguanas should control the frog plague.

#2851213 - 04/23/17 10:43 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

At least your wife will know where to find you after the backyard gets cleaned up...having a GC within walking distance may require a lot of GAS resistance LOL! cool

#2851284 - 04/23/17 07:17 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Sorry, couldn't resist . . .
I really want a thick, creamy Clean tone, but with some serious mass behind it,

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. the best selling Fender amp in today's market. The clean channel is awesome big, fat, clean, and loud as can be. And it is affordable......
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2851361 - 04/24/17 06:28 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: desertbluesman]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Dannyalcatraz - When it comes to garden tools, I'm an atavist. No chainsaw, no power tools, but I have a couple of hand saws that are sharp, and fast.

@Scott Fraser - Been debating whether a pitchfork or a coal shovel would be the best tool for clean-up after the plague of frogs. Still waiting to find out . . .

@Larryz - As you might guess, my wife isn't thrilled to have a new GC within walking distance. However, GC is manifestly NOT my FLMS: I go to them mostly for Used gear at stupid blow-out prices, or rarely, for some sale item. Even for something like strings or picks, I'm still going to go the extra mile (literally) to see the guys I've been going to for over twenty years. However, check yer PM's.

#2851380 - 04/24/17 07:18 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Vox AC15?

50 pounds still drops 25 pounds off the weight of my BC-60. Same with the output wattage; even though it's called a BC-60, it puts out 75 watts RMS. (Yes, I always know to look for RMS ratings, rather than Peak.) I never turn it higher than 3 on the Clean channel. Still, can't bring myself to get rid of it.

The new Vox Amps have never called to me, for some reason? I associate them with a much brighter tone than I'm looking for, although I may be mistaken in that. While I'm not really looking for a high-gain Metal Amp, I've always said, scratch any Prog or Fusion player, and you'll find a Metalhead underneath, and I'm no exception.

If all else fails, I may just wait a while, save up some more money, and order THIS! That's the one I first saw, and missed, at around $400 used. If I'm going to wind up spending $700+/- for an Amp, I may as well get a new one.

I guess I'm the board's resident recent Vox amp user. I use an AC15 CC1X and an AC30 CC2.

Yeah, the AC15 is bright... I have enough tone shaping things in my chain that I correct that when needed, but I mostly play indie rock, alt-country and 60s cover projects (Beatles, Monkees), where it fits. It's darker with humbuckers than single coils. I have played jazz gigs with it.

I have to say, besides JCM800s, I haven't found Marshalls to have the bottom end that the Vox does... when I've had to use one, I end up using something to goose the bottom end super big time to get me where I'm happy, and the amp alone doesn't do it.

Orange? OR15?

#2851384 - 04/24/17 07:36 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@Larryz - As you might guess, my wife isn't thrilled to have a new GC within walking distance. However, GC is manifestly NOT my FLMS: I go to them mostly for Used gear at stupid blow-out prices, or rarely, for some sale item. Even for something like strings or picks, I'm still going to go the extra mile (literally) to see the guys I've been going to for over twenty years. However, check yer PM's.

+1 Winston, I have my favorite mom and pop shop that I like going to over the big box store. Good techs on site and they don't care where the guitar comes from if you need a set up or repairs. Strings, I have to order on-line to find what I want. Everything else I can get at my FMS. It's good to keep these guys in business and they appreciate their loyal customers! thu

#2851393 - 04/24/17 08:10 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: p90jr]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@p90jr - I thought about Orange, but still looking for a combo, rather than a Head-&-Cabinet rig, ease of transport being one issue.

#2851499 - 04/24/17 01:46 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Scott Fraser]
harvey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Last time I was amp shopping was a very long day at the Hollywood Guitar Center. That must have been at least 15 years ago. I don't look for distortion from amps, to me that's a pedal process, so I'm really looking for great clean tone; warm & jazzy, with just enough highs for clear articulation, & enough EQ to tame the squanky midrange from humbuckers. That eliminated all the high gain contenders & it inevitably came down to Marshall vs Fender. The Hot Rod Deluxe had a broken switch & could only play in overdrive mode, and sounded thin & fizzy. I ended up going home with a 50watt JCM900 2 x 12 combo. Even though it's favored by metal guys it also has a great clean tone, plenty of tone control, headroom for days. But weighs a ton. Whatever the current 1 x 12 model of that amp is would be a great starting point.

I agree, the JCM900 (and I'd add the JCM2000) have a fantastic clean sound.

#2851511 - 04/24/17 02:23 PM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: harvey]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: harvey

One of the used Marshalls I'm looking at is the JCM2000, which they're also calling the Dual Super Lead. It's a good bit less expensive than the used JCM900, by about $200US, and both look fairly clean, but I'm not done looking yet . . .

Edited by Winston Psmith (04/24/17 02:24 PM)

#2851610 - 04/25/17 03:35 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
harvey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: harvey

One of the used Marshalls I'm looking at is the JCM2000, which they're also calling the Dual Super Lead. It's a good bit less expensive than the used JCM900, by about $200US, and both look fairly clean, but I'm not done looking yet . . .

Ah gotcha...a DSL is [i][/i] a 2000. Yep, great amps...never owned one but used a head version for a recording gig many years ago and loved it. A mate has owned one of the 40 Watters and it needed regular some work...not sure if he just had a funky one??

#2851693 - 04/25/17 09:03 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: harvey]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@harvey - Some Amps are kind of like fast cars; if you push them at top end all the time, parts are going to wear down more quickly. Of course, the whole point of having a fast car or a loud Amp, is just that, to push the top end, as much as you dare.

The quality of the tubes you use is also an issue, in terms of sound, and longevity. I expect to have to re-tube any used Amp I might buy, so I'm trying to figure that into the overall expense.

That's one advantage of SS Amps; I've done zero maintenance or repairs on my BC-60 in 10/15 years, other than to keep it reasonably clean. Right now, it could use some new fabric for the speaker cover, as that's looking a little shabby, but otherwise, it's a tank. Mine still has the little metal caps on all the control knobs, which most of the old ones are missing.

#2851920 - 04/26/17 05:13 AM Re: Marshall plan? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
A buddy has the same Marshall DSL40. Great amp! My Roland Cube 30x has become my main jam/small gig amp. Indestructible and sounds great. Love Tubes, but the 30x lives in the trunk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose