Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2850794 - 04/21/17 07:30 AM OT : Recording, '50's Style
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Just posted yesterday from our friends at SOS. I know plenty of us are into recording, this is a different perspective for sure.

KC Island
#2850803 - 04/21/17 08:19 AM Re: OT : Recording, '50's Style [Re: davedoerfler]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Holy s***! This is fantastic. Thanks so much for posting.

#2850811 - 04/21/17 08:50 AM Re: OT : Recording, '50's Style [Re: slowtraveler]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Cool. Thanks, I look forward to spending the time to watch it all.

#2850977 - 04/22/17 07:10 AM Re: OT : Recording, '50's Style [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
That was fun.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2851034 - 04/22/17 11:37 AM Re: OT : Recording, '50's Style [Re: DanL]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

Great post. Thanks for this Dave.

Jazz + just posted a recording by Shirley Scott that impressed me. Not sure of the date, probably early to mid 60's but similar principal.

One of my favorite early recordings is Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section on Contemporary Records. Tne alto sax sounds like it's right there in front of you. It was early 1957 and is one of the earliest stereo recordings that I am aware of. And one of the best.

There are also the examples of what Tom Dowd did at Atlantic, Rudy Van Gelder, Al Schmitt in L.A. etc etc etc.on "primitive" equipment.

#2851039 - 04/22/17 12:09 PM Re: OT : Recording, '50's Style [Re: LX88]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Really nice! Thanks for posting this. Has inspired me to try "whole room" recording myself. Recording all parts at once!

#2851056 - 04/22/17 01:50 PM Re: OT : Recording, '50's Style [Re: miden]
Theo Verelst Online   confused
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's got some of that 50s vibe, bit challenging song titles but for me that's pretty much it. Those wonderful 50s (admittedly:) "hit" songs were to my knowledge the first one to standardize mix elements and in well rendered form those 50s dances rock and dazzle through those early rock amp systems. That kind of sound design and consideration I would love to read about I don't find here.

T

#2851064 - 04/22/17 03:00 PM Re: OT : Recording, '50's Style [Re: Theo Verelst]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Fascinating video - I've read bits and pieces of these techniques over the years but this video really pulls many of the early recording concepts together. I'm in awe of the guys that do this stuff. Thanks for posting Dave. twothumbs

#2851102 - 04/22/17 07:35 PM Re: OT : Recording, '50's Style [Re: Markyboard]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Excellent and informative vid.

While I have very little experience in the art of sound recording I know from personal experience that a single source in room mic can produce some very listenable and engaging takes.

When we have put together some band demos, I have placed my Zoom H1 on a mic stand roughly in the middle of a larger rehearsal room so as to get as balanced sound as is possible. Often another band member has volunteered to individually record us into a DAW and mix it down.

To my ears the track from the Zoom sounds much more 'live' than the mixed down version.

Interestingly though, due to the wide held belief that replicating current pro recording methods has to be better than anything recorded on a low cost portable recorder, and that room ambience is a negative, I am the only one who ends up listening to both takes.

#2851236 - 04/23/17 01:12 PM Re: OT : Recording, '50's Style [Re: Markay]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
That was a really cool video. Seems like it works best to either go minimalist, or go the other extreme and isolate everything. Similar to our conversations on monitoring and PA.

Curious about a few other things regarding effects and other things around the era. They mentioned the tape based delay/slapback ans well as plate and spring reverbs. I thought I also read that they used to put a speaker and microphone into a large room for reverb and basically the speaker level would be your send and the mic was your return. Is that true? Was it common? I think I remember that from the Beatles (which would have been 60s) but don't know if that was something unique to them or common practice for the time.

Also curious when he was talking about getting it in one take - I know at least eventually with tape they did splices and overdubs. Did they do that all the way back to the beginning of tape based recording or did that come later?

Finally, he talked about a mastering EQ as opposed to the others he'd put in the channels. In the case of a single mic....1 track tape I guess...would they basically just play that back through whatever EQ and compression and record to another reel for the "mastered" version?

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner