Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2850744 - 04/20/17 11:38 PM What is the most recent song you learned, and why?
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
A simple question to start the weekend: what is the most recent song you learned, and why?

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

BP Island
#2850771 - 04/21/17 05:01 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
The band I'm working with now is an 'Originals' band and always coming up with new stuff & ideas. Telling you titles would be meaningless, but it's quite stimulating.

(Youtube 'Something Out of Nothing at the Clutha')

G.

#2850772 - 04/21/17 05:16 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: The Geoff]
lug Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: League City,TX,UNITED STATES
Gonna Have To Face It, You're Addicted To Love" because I keep trying to explain to my wife that it should be her favorite song.
I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

#2850789 - 04/21/17 06:31 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: lug]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
"Walk In My Shadows" by Joe Bonamassa & Paul Rodgers; "Fooled Around & Fell In Love" by the Winery Dogs/Elvin Bishop; and "Walkin' the Dawg" by Tony Spinner. All for an audition that never happened, as the band decided to fold rather than replace the bass player. Another member was having some health issues, which played into it. But I can't help but feel like "Geez, they'd rather not play than have me in the band. Must have heard I know Lug."

That said, I've made contact with another group that needs a bassist, that is doing original music. We'll see what happens with that.

#2851040 - 04/22/17 12:15 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: Danzilla]
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
I learned a whole bunch of religious songs which I played on Easter with a praise band at the Blossom Valley Bible Church in San Jose. I was a substitute for the regular guy.
It was my first gig with headphones, no amps, and each person with his or her own mixer so we could hear whatever we wanted. I have no idea what it sounded like to the congregation, but what I heard sounded good.

#2851062 - 04/22/17 02:25 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: jeremy c]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"Been Hurt" by Uriah Heep. Originally recorded with John Lawton, later rerecorded with John Sloman on vocals and released as a B-side. It's always been a favourite of mine and I absolutely love Trevor Bolder's funky bass line. I nailed it, too! With the exception of two notes, which I have not figured out yet.

This is purely for my own enjoyment and personal development as a bass player. Chances of ever playing this song in a band are practically nil, but I had fun figuring it out, and seeing how Bolder plays over certain chords.

#2851111 - 04/22/17 08:34 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: Danzilla]
lug Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Danzilla
"Walk In My Shadows" by Joe Bonamassa & Paul Rodgers; "Fooled Around & Fell In Love" by the Winery Dogs/Elvin Bishop; and "Walkin' the Dawg" by Tony Spinner. All for an audition that never happened, as the band decided to fold rather than replace the bass player. Another member was having some health issues, which played into it. But I can't help but feel like "Geez, they'd rather not play than have me in the band. Must have heard I know Lug."

https://app.box.com/shared/static/aemq3d9ldv.wav

#2851422 - 04/24/17 09:56 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: lug]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Python

#2851836 - 04/25/17 05:11 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: Danzilla]
butcherNburn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Onions Peppers Garlic
I didn't want to part with some old cassettes, which, because of the format, put them on the back shelf. So, last time I came across them I copied them to my computer. One side was an old jam a long recording from about 96 that I recorded while I had the flu and pretty nice fever. Hearing the coughs brought all that memory back. Toward the end was a completely improvised song that amazed me. I wish the part of the memory where I played that would have come back so easily. I'm still trying to nail it, all I need is a 103 fever and it's mine.

Edited by butcherNburn (04/25/17 06:57 PM)
Edit Reason: heads up

#2852640 - 04/29/17 01:11 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: butcherNburn]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
"So Whatcha Gone Do Now" by Public Enemy, b/c what I'm gonna do now is steal the kboard lines for a tune of my own.

[Caution: Explicit lyrics eek ]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naogoc4hyAE

#2853112 - 05/02/17 06:32 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: d]
SteveC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Grand Forks, North Dakota
A list of about 50 - starting a new band.

#2853807 - 05/05/17 04:38 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: SteveC]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm a solo singer/songwriter...last song I learned was Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home." It was supposed to be deployed at my last gig, but I was too sick to hit the highs, so it's coming out at the next one.

Edited by hurricane hugo (05/05/17 04:39 PM)

#2854528 - 05/10/17 05:34 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: hurricane hugo]
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brklyn, yo
"One in Seven" by Soulive for a band I'm in. Thx.

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

#2868885 - 07/24/17 03:35 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: SteveC]
Seamy ALB Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: SteveC
A list of about 50 - starting a new band.
Cool!!

I learnt CCR Fortunate Son, Metallica Leper Messiah, Megadeth Peace Sells for a rock night set with a bunch of buddies last week!

#2869311 - 07/26/17 12:01 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: Seamy ALB]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Just learned The Who's "The Good's Gone". Not note for note and not perfect yet, but the main structure etc. Cool song!

#2869317 - 07/26/17 01:03 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ooh! Nice obscure older Who tune.

Last three songs I learned:

Stone Temple Pilots: Plush
Porcupine Tree: shesmovedon
Gov't Mule/Allman Bros: Soulshine

Yes, all for the same band. Now if only we could get a good singer, we could start playing them live.

#2869326 - 07/26/17 02:20 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: Danzilla]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Connecticut
A list of 14, mostly originals, for a sub gig I'm doing this weekend with the band Cross Purpose. This set is kicking my butt -- they're a roots-rock-style band, but they play like jazz guys, with extra bars and odd chord changes all over the place:
1) Hallelujah
2) A Lot Of Gray Out There
3) Even Jesus Gots The Blues
4) People Get Ready
5) Can't Get There From Here
6) Waiting For The Dawn
7) Mission Temple Fireworks Stand
8) Pride
9) He Already Told Me So
10) I Think About It All The Time
11) Wade In The Water / Take Me To The River E
12) The Man My Dog Thinks I Am
13) The Man You've Made
14) Ashes And Dust

#2870338 - 08/01/17 11:43 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: jcadmus]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

j,

Is Ashes & Dust the Warren Haynes song? If so, nice!

Spent some more time learning a few tunes for the new band. Found out that Elvis' "Little Sister" has an extra C-chord in the chorus eek Also spent some more time with The Who, cos I wasn't 100% correct last time.

#2870377 - 08/02/17 06:37 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: EddiePlaysBass
j,

Is Ashes & Dust the Warren Haynes song? If so, nice!

Nope, different A&D -- an original by the band.

#2870506 - 08/02/17 05:22 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: jcadmus]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Haven't been playing bass for a while, just keys and guitar. Last one was a few weeks ago "Last Chance" by Shooting star for a fill-in gig on keys. Pretty complex arrangement to get all the parts in there since there's piano, organ, multiple synths, and violin all going on at once.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2870595 - 08/03/17 07:24 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: J. Dan]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"Last Chance" - great song! Glad to hear that some band some where is playing it.

#2870628 - 08/03/17 09:26 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: Danzilla]
lug Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

4'33"

#2870630 - 08/03/17 09:31 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: Danzilla]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: Danzilla
"Last Chance" - great song! Glad to hear that some band some where is playing it.

I think it goes over here in St. Louis partially because Shooting Star was formed out of KC and played in the area quite a bit. Also, local radio station KSHE 95 has continued to play Last Chance in fairly regular rotation.

Interesting side note, their ex-bass player (not the original one, but the one who played with them in early 90s) lives here in St. Louis and has subbed on bass in the same band that I subbed with playing Last Chance.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2871627 - 08/08/17 10:54 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: J. Dan]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Saw Shooting Star open for Robin Trower n 1980, I think. They were a good band.