Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2850749 - 04/21/17 01:31 AM Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
The guy from the local rehearsal company asked me yesterday what would be good "keyboard" to put into the rooms. He often gets the question if there are keys in the room from bands. I have not experienced keys as part of a backline in a rehearsal room. Of course I could suggest him some things, mainly stage piano's, which I think cover the most needed in rehearsals.

But I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

KC Island
#2850751 - 04/21/17 01:43 AM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: RudyS]
Bobadeath Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
A Motif 8 is a versatile and useful tool.

#2850775 - 04/21/17 05:26 AM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: Bobadeath]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Nord Lead.

Okay, with that out of the way...

It would be helpful to know if he had a budget in mind; if it has to be a single keyboard (sometimes it could be better to get two lower priced keyboards instead of one higher priced one); if he has feelings about buying new vs. used.

But for now, I'll assume that he wants just a single keyboard (at least to start), wants to spend "as little as possible", and doesn't care about new vs. used. Basically, he wants to be able to say "yes" when someone asks if he's got keys, and then have them be reasonably satisfied when they come in to play, and is looking to satisfy that requirement without spending a lot of money. A businessman's perspective rather than a player's perspective.

So I'd say you want an action that is at least reasonably playable for both piano and organ, including at least 7x keys for the piano use. Most importantly, you want something where someone can come in and instantly find any of the most commonly needed sounds, with no learning time or manual required. Front panel controls to easily manipulate the sounds in common ways would be a nice bonus.

My answer: Roland VR760 (runner up, VR700)

#2850776 - 04/21/17 05:29 AM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: Bobadeath]
SkiGuy777 Offline

Loc: Plantation FL
Interesting idea. Most rehearsal rooms are tiny with the drums in the middle, bass amp on one side, guitar amp on the other (often a Marshall stack), and a keyboard amp in front of either (should be on the bass side). Then the mics are in front with the mixer.

Honestly, if he puts one keyboard in each room on a flimsy X stand it will be knocked over, broken, or stolen. If he goes this route get something light like a Korg PS60. Then he could set it up each time someone wants to use a keyboard. That's my practice board I bring to the rehearsal when both keyboard players are there.

I'd tell him to try it in one or two rooms. The keyboard amp goes next to the bass amp along the back wall. I would tell him to have a few older model keyboards in his front office with a two keyboard stand. If people constantly show up wanting to use a keyboard, then make one room permanent with a nice setup. Otherwise I'd have a previous model Korg, Roland, Nord, Hammond, and so on.

Nice Setup - Korg Kronos or Korg Krome with a Hammond Sk1
Budget or previous used model setup - Korg Triton or Korg PS60, with a Hammond XK-3C or Hammond XK1c.

Yes, I'm a Korg and Hammond guy. But the other point I'm making is it would be nice to have two keyboards in the rig, a piano and organ.

Money no object and you want the ultimate? The practice room where I go has a
Korg Kronos 88 with a Hammond XK5 (dual manual).

You could look through the For Sale forum here, and help those people out.

Edited by SkiGuy777 (04/21/17 06:24 AM)

#2850806 - 04/21/17 08:33 AM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: SkiGuy777]
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
When GC had those Rehearsal Studios in some stores, they had Casio Privias available. I don't recall what model they were, though.

#2850815 - 04/21/17 09:02 AM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: Bone Muskeleton]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Budget? Key range? Action?

My gut feel is that a hammer 88 is the right kind of board for a rehearsal studio. It's got to be easy to choose sounds from the front panel as Scott says. Casio, Kawai or Yamaha would do fine (the new MX88 isn't a bad choice). Then clients can bring their lightweight upstairs board (workstation, VA, clonewheel, whatever) but save considerable shlep.

Alternatively, go with SkiGuy's "lightweight" advice - I would choose a Roland VR09. Alternative: Nord Electro if the budget allows, as the reliability is strong.

Cheers, Mike.

#2850880 - 04/21/17 01:55 PM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: stoken6]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
Keyboard in the rehearsal studio is a nice amenity, but only useful imo if for that particular session, you only are going to need very limited basic sounds, and pretty much one at a time, ideally if you're good with just piano for the evening. (Even simple splits won't be practical if you aren't already familiar with the specific instrument and even if that model offers quick/easy ones.) Anything more demanding, a player will likely want to use his own axe with his own stuff pre-programmed as needed. So I think anything beyond a simple dp slab where you can get to a few very obvious basic sounds with single front-panel labeled-button pushes (Piano, E.Piano, Organ, Strings, e.g.), is overkill. There's really no time at rehearsal to be hunting around through banks for patches.

Edited by richforman (04/21/17 01:56 PM)

#2850922 - 04/21/17 06:28 PM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: richforman]
BEMcCut Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I would bring my own. Another suggestion would be a controller. Keyboard player could bring his sounds on laptop or tablet.

#2850925 - 04/21/17 06:32 PM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: BEMcCut]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: BEMcCut
IAnother suggestion would be a controller. Keyboard player could bring his sounds on laptop or tablet.

You can't count on a kybd player to be setup that way, and probably most don't. A regular keyboard with sounds can function as a controller for those who work that way, but not the other way around.

#2850927 - 04/21/17 07:08 PM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: AnotherScott]
clawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Canada
I agree with the Roland VR760 / 700 route if there's a used one around. Bread & butter, easy to navigate etc.

#2850940 - 04/21/17 11:09 PM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: clawback]
dsetto Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Weighted: Yamaha MX88BK, $1000. or used Yamaha MOX8.
Fast action: Yamaha MX49

I haven't played an MX88BK, but I assume it's like an MOX8.

Or the same in Casio, Korg, or Kurzweil.

#2850944 - 04/22/17 01:20 AM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: dsetto]
MonksDream Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
In the rehearsal studios I am in which rent keys they all seem to use a Yamaha CP40, a Roland RD300/700/800 or a Roland FP. They all cover the basic keyboard sounds well and are relatively easy to get around on. The CP40 I've rented for rehearsal even has sound selection instructions taped to the top with arrows pointing at the necessary buttons. All are more than adequate for a typical rehearsal and built well enough to survive the backline experience.

#2850951 - 04/22/17 04:07 AM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: MonksDream]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
I wouldn't use a MOX8. Too difficult to navigate.

The CP40 would be a good choice. There are separate buttons for AP, Rhodes, Wurly.

Whatever you get, it should be a stage piano with a 5-pin MIDI output and preferably an aux in.
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2850952 - 04/22/17 04:09 AM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: WesG]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The CP40 would be a good choice. There are separate buttons for AP, Rhodes, Wurly...

Whatever you get, it should be a stage piano with a 5-pin MIDI output and preferably an aux in.

#2850955 - 04/22/17 04:17 AM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: RudyS]
vanderSchoot Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: RudyS
The guy from the local rehearsal company asked me yesterday what would be good "keyboard" to put into the rooms. He often gets the question if there are keys in the room from bands. I have not experienced keys as part of a backline in a rehearsal room. Of course I could suggest him some things, mainly stage piano's, which I think cover the most needed in rehearsals.

But I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

The new Roland FP-90 covers a lot of ground.
Great keybed, top piano sounds, lots of other sounds and speakers that are great for monitoring too.

#2850956 - 04/22/17 04:39 AM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: vanderSchoot]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Do the speakers stay on when you plug in the output? I really want a piano like that.

#2850974 - 04/22/17 07:09 AM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: WesG]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: WesG

Originally Posted By: MonksDream
The CP40 I've rented for rehearsal even has sound selection instructions taped to the top with arrows pointing at the necessary buttons.

I agree, as much as I like the MOX(F)8, it's not the easiest for an unfamiliar user to immediately get around on. Heck, the CP40 is simpler, and even that benefitted from the virtue of having someone tape instructions to it! (Great idea, if the guy running the room has the wherewithal/desire to do it.)

For an 88, I'd look at the Kawai MP7. It's pretty straightforward in operation, sounds good, even has something of a clonewheel built in, and has a quality piano action that isn't too bad for organ. (Even has high trigger.)

#2851048 - 04/22/17 12:58 PM Re: Piano/keyboard/synth in rehearsal room [Re: AnotherScott]
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Good suggestions.

I think, the most allround would be a stage piano with some additional sounds covering the basics. Most real synth freaks will bring their own stuff anyway I think.

Will check that Roland van de Schoot!

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner