Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2850730 - 04/20/17 09:19 PM OT - Developers: web page cache question
delmar Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, UNITED STATES
I just talked to my girlfriend about her day at work, like one does. She says her boss got into hot water today because they launched a new web site, and something was wrong that her team didn't catch because apparently everyone was looking at a cached version of the page. My gf says this happens all the time. I immediately thought that there must be an easy way to avoid this problem, and thought I'd ask you guys, so I can tell her and she can be the hero at work!
My first thought was to make the cache size 0 MB. Then I googled 'Chrome disable cache' and sure enough, it's possible. But I'm wondering whether there's another way to accomplish this. Surely anyone on the dev side of digital has to deal with this problem, yes? (They use Chrome and IE, btw.)
Thanks in advance!

KC Island
#2850731 - 04/20/17 09:22 PM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: delmar]
delmar Offline

Wanted to add that she told me that it's often the case that she can see a different version on her home computer than at work - she wonders whether there is something like a firewall affecting things.

#2850732 - 04/20/17 09:30 PM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: delmar]
mate stubb Online   content
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Yes, web devs should disable their browser caches. I used to run FF, IE, and Chrome simultaneously to test our stuff.

They should also train their sales, tech support and executive staffs to flush their cache immediately if they are not seeing what they expect to see.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2850735 - 04/20/17 09:59 PM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: mate stubb]
delmar Offline

Thanks, M.S. - Relayed this to her and she asked what she should do if she clears her cache and nothing happens.

#2850737 - 04/20/17 10:21 PM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: delmar]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: delmar
Thanks, M.S. - Relayed this to her and she asked what she should do if she clears her cache and nothing happens.

1. try a different browser
2. set the webpage timeout on the server to zero
3. if you are still not seeing the current webpage, now you have to go on a hunt. Can anybody at all see the correct page? Do we know it got posted and published correctly? Is there some proxy server in the network caching an old version? If you connect a computer directly to the server can it see the correct page then? If the server is out in the cloud, and you can't connect directly, you could try publishing the new version under a different url, or to a different server.

#2850755 - 04/21/17 02:06 AM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: mate stubb]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom
I love the fact that top quality computing advice is always to be found in this forum. smile

#2850756 - 04/21/17 02:28 AM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: xKnuckles]
Kawai James Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Try reloading the page using Shift and/or CTRL + F5.

More info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bypass_your_cache

Cheers,
James
x

#2850758 - 04/21/17 02:57 AM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: Kawai James]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Worth knowing that Chrome has an extra-super-special refresh called "Empty cache and hard reload". Open dev tools with F12 or Ctrl+Shift+I and right-click the refresh button to get to it. Really useful to have if external page resources are being cached smile

#2850759 - 04/21/17 03:01 AM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: delmar]
Markay Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: delmar
My gf says this happens all the time.

The devs should be providing clear and concise instructions to those doing end user testing.

As others have said simple solution, clear cache and cookies, 2 or 3 clicks in every browser. End user functionality testing is done by those who know how it should work, but they are often not tech experts.

Has your GF's team been trained in how to do UAT?

#2850805 - 04/21/17 08:31 AM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: Markay]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Can't you just add some B.S. at the end of the URL, like a question mark?

#2850841 - 04/21/17 11:46 AM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
delmar Offline

Thanks! She is the go-between for a few thousand teachers of kids who are supposed to be providing information about their programs and staff across the country, and the agency doing the dev work. She has no CS training but seems to be the most capable person in her department. Certainly one of the most organized. For the first two years, her coworker would mark tasks as done without actually doing them. He is no longer there thankfully.

#2850846 - 04/21/17 12:16 PM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
AnalogGuy1 Offline

Loc: Eastern US
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Can't you just add some B.S. at the end of the URL, like a question mark?

I use F5 to force a refresh, although to hard-code it, a /# at the end of the URL works too, like www.mit.edu/#

#2850883 - 04/21/17 02:34 PM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: AnalogGuy1]
WesG Online   shocked
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Wow, your GFs shop needs to hire a senior software developer. This is mickey-mouse stuff.

I disagree with Moe about running with your cache disabled (although I understand his point, and did that from IE4 through 7). Your users don't disable their caches, neither should you.

Also, you need to consider not only your browser's cache, but any caching HTTP (transparent?) proxies between your customer and your browser, and finally, you need to actually leverage your customer's cache when circumstances call for it.

Depending on your browser, shift + reload, shift + cmd + r, etc will reload the page and force a full load (i.e. no 304s).

Remember that the cache rules for static documents and documents with GET query parameters are different - and you might be surprised to find out the rules for css and js. And, of course, remember that the GET query parameter is part of the URI, which in turn is the cache index. Change an used parameter, and you have requested a different document, as far as the cache is concerned.

The place that surprises most developers is script tag loading without GET parameters from an unchanged document. I'd have to double check, but I think this results in the server not even being asked if the script has changed. We get around this particular piece of ugliness by telling our build system to put our Mercurial revision ID a) in the static HTML, and b) using it as a GET parameter when requesting scripts. Script requesting is automated via BravoJS which gives us an easy, central point to inject this, and a way to turn it off for our final production stages.

Finally, your testing folks should be testing a staging server, and testing production immediately upon roll-out. Sounds like you missed one of those steps, because the caches will not be shared across servers......

Wes
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2850885 - 04/21/17 02:38 PM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: WesG]
WesG Online   shocked
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Quote:
3. if you are still not seeing the current webpage, now you have to go on a hunt.

And my favourite place to hunt, other than high-level poking around with the dev console, is the packet sniffer. Packet sniffers (almost) never lie. Everything else does. smile

The other reason I like to hunt with packets sniffers -- and make my developers do the same -- is that a good familiarity with the wire-level protocols just seems to automatically breed developers who wind up not needing to hunt in the first place.

Wes
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2850893 - 04/21/17 03:38 PM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: xKnuckles]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: xKnuckles
I love the fact that top quality computing advice is always to be found in this forum. smile

That's the good news. The bad news is that our advice is third hand and necessarily generic as we don't know a lot of the necessary details to actually solve the problem.

#2851179 - 04/23/17 06:45 AM Re: OT - Developers: web page cache question [Re: mate stubb]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Originally Posted By: xKnuckles

That's the good news. The bad news is that our advice is third hand and necessarily generic as we don't know a lot of the necessary details to actually solve the problem.

Aha! I have often wondered how some of you guys manage the huge stacks of keyboards which you play..... idea grin

Generic is still good! It means you solve lots of people's problems all at once...
I remain impressed. smile

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner