Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2850570 - 04/20/17 05:58 AM Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially)
Musicale Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Naperville, IL
Looking to survey a few brands of keyboards in Chicago area in person. Especially Casio. Is that still possible in this day and age?

KC Island
#2850581 - 04/20/17 07:15 AM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: Musicale]
count doerflera Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
contact Mike Martin.

#2850613 - 04/20/17 09:11 AM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: count doerflera]
Dnsmo Offline

Loc: Chicago
I think your best bet in Chicago is Guitar Center.

The store on Halsted has a decent selection of Casio, Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil, and Williams. When I was last there a few months ago, that included two of the most popular boards: the Casio PX-560 and Yamaha CP4.

You could also call a Sam Ash location to see if they have what you're looking for.

Dennis

#2850618 - 04/20/17 09:40 AM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: Dnsmo]
Mike Martin Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Naperville, Ilinois
Which model are you looking for? Guitar Center stores carry the CGP-700, PX-160 in almost all stores along with one of our portable models. Some stores like Arlington Heights and downtown Chicago also carry the PX-350. I've never seen a PX-560 at a Guitar Center store but as mentioned above the Halsted store might be the only place that has one.

Cordogan's Piano and Family Piano are our Celviano Grand Hybrid dealers in the area. They should also have an assortment of Privia models and the CGP-700. The PX-560 and PX-5S are unlikely to be at either.

If you up for a drive, Cascio Interstate Music in Milwaukee should have almost everything in stock. Kraft Music is also on the way up there - they have a small showroom but I'd bet if you called them they'd get out anything you wanted to see and set it up in advance.

You could also stop by my house. wink

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

#2850635 - 04/20/17 10:57 AM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: Mike Martin]
Musicale Offline
Gold Member

Thanks Gents for a reply. I know that the internet has changed things so much relative to purchasing and seeing things in person, hence the post.

This boards is not for me but for the son of a friend who's starting out on keys and they want to get him a board. I of course suggested the Casio's based mostly on reading the praise they have gotten.

So I imagine they will just pick up on my suggestion of either the 560 or the 5S money is no issue here.

Thanks Mike - is the rumor of a PX-6S true or still in prototype ?

Perhaps we can get together sometime in Naper town.

regards
Musicale.

#2850658 - 04/20/17 12:33 PM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: Musicale]
jjo Offline

If you're willing to drive a bit, I like to go to the Kraft Music showroom in Franklin Wisconsin, which is just a bit south of Milwaukee. If you call them in advance and tell them which keyboards you're interested in, they make take some out of a box and are not normally in their showroom. Sales staff is very good. From the northern burbs where I live is under an hour, but it would be a longer drive for you.

#2850661 - 04/20/17 12:42 PM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: Dnsmo]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Originally Posted By: Dnsmo

The store on Halsted has a decent selection of Casio, Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil, and Williams.

Yep, the GC on Halsted Street seems to have the best selection of keyboards. Bring some headphones. Stop at Greek Islands a little further south on Halsted for some great food before or afterward.

#2850675 - 04/20/17 01:38 PM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: jjo]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: jjo
If you're willing to drive a bit, I like to go to the Kraft Music showroom in Franklin Wisconsin, which is just a bit south of Milwaukee. If you call them in advance and tell them which keyboards you're interested in, they make take some out of a box and are not normally in their showroom. Sales staff is very good. From the northern burbs where I live is under an hour, but it would be a longer drive for you.

I have bought from Kraft but never visited. They have always been great. I also wondered if it might be worth a drive as well.

Nice drive along the lake, too.

Edited by misterdregs (04/20/17 01:39 PM)

#2850689 - 04/20/17 03:02 PM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: misterdregs]
CEB Online   content
10k Club

Things are pretty sad after Gand shut down its retail business.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2850691 - 04/20/17 03:09 PM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: Musicale]
Bone Muskeleton Online   content
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Musicale
is the rumor of a PX-6S true or still in prototype ?
I haven't even heard rumors about rumors regarding a successor to the PX-5S. I have only heard speculation. It's a logical conclusion, especially when you look at the PX-5S vs. the PX-x50 series and the PX-3 vs. PX-x30 series. But beyond that, I suspect you'd have to have access to a lab in Japan to know much more than that, especially ship dates if the thing even exists.

#2850694 - 04/20/17 03:18 PM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: Bone Muskeleton]
aronnelson Offline
Gold Member

> Gand shut down its retail business

WOW. I have fond memories of that place. Sad.

#2850696 - 04/20/17 03:54 PM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: aronnelson]
Musicale Offline
Gold Member

I used to enjoy going to GAND. I had recollection of that shop but forgot the name (sub-senior-moment). Anyway appreciate the leads and will help my friend get the right board.

Musicale

#2850716 - 04/20/17 06:40 PM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: CEB]
Aussie_Chicago Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Originally Posted By: CEB
Things are pretty sad after Gand shut down its retail business.

Yep, got my sk2 there, walked out the door with a brand new sk2, case with gand music imprinted which I hated, but now treasure that stupid case, stand , bench, cables +tax all for less than retail of just the sk2. They had every Hammond line, every Nord line, most korg and roland lines too.

#2850717 - 04/20/17 06:43 PM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: Dnsmo]
Aussie_Chicago Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Originally Posted By: Dnsmo

The store on Halsted has a decent selection of Casio, Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil, and Williams. When I was last there a few months ago, that included two of the most popular boards: the Casio PX-560 and Yamaha CP4

Yep, have to concur, really the only place in the city that has a decent selection of boards, yes, bring your headphones, and no, don't ask the sales reps any questions, they don't know anything.....at all about anything.....

Edited by Aussie_Chicago (04/20/17 06:44 PM)

#2850727 - 04/20/17 08:51 PM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: Aussie_Chicago]
Mark Zeger Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
If you're looking for a Rhodes, Ray's Music Exchange

#2850798 - 04/21/17 07:47 AM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: Mark Zeger]
sherry Offline

GC on Halsted has Kurzweil?

#2850807 - 04/21/17 08:37 AM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: Mark Zeger]
Bone Muskeleton Online   content
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Mark Zeger
If you're looking for a Rhodes, Ray's Music Exchange
I don't think there's anything wrong with the action on this piano.

#2850812 - 04/21/17 08:51 AM Re: Best place in Chicago to see Keyboards (Casio especially) [Re: sherry]
Dnsmo Offline

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: sherry
GC on Halsted has Kurzweil?
They do, but the last time I was there in January, I believe their floor demo models were limited to a PC3K and either an Artis or Forte (can't remember which).

Since there's no telling what Kurzweil product they'll have on hand, I'd call ahead if you have a particular board you'd like to audition.

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner