Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2850498 - 04/19/17 05:03 PM Fake News. Fake Guitar News.
harvey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hey everyone,

I'm concerned that the guitar is under represented in all the 'fake news' that is going on these days.

I'm trying to remedy this;

The Fretbuzz Chronicle

GP Island
#2850504 - 04/19/17 06:32 PM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: harvey]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Heheh, that's a promising start!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2850508 - 04/19/17 06:57 PM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Quote:
“Our first Custom Custom was based on a ’64 Custom Shop Strat with a heavy relic sunburst finish”, explains Cooper. “Our Custom Custom Shop team repaired the damage caused by the Custom Shop relicing process and refinished the guitar in a nifty Seafoam Green”.

Fender Custom Custom Shop guitars start at US $10,000 and can be ordered through your local Fender dealer.

laugh roll grin

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2850535 - 04/19/17 11:03 PM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
So they are going to take a perfectly good Strat, beat the hell out of it, dip it in acid, nick it with a chain saw, screw up the fret board and God know what else...then come back later and restore it back to stock...and do it all for just $10,000 bucks! Where do we sign up? LOL! crazy

#2850552 - 04/20/17 04:22 AM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Saw something like that in some old movie once. someone charged a guy a lot of money to fix something or other "like new", but all he did was replace it WITH a new one that he stole from somewhere. wink (I think it was a radio).

I know it was just satire, but I fear that there ARE some gleeps who WOULD shell out that money for something like that. grin
Whitefang

#2850597 - 04/20/17 08:02 AM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: whitefang]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

So, lets see if I understand this. Custom Custom is better than plain old Custom because Custom Custom undoes all the work that Custom did, so your guitar looks like it did before Custom trashed it. And all this starts at only $10,000. I should call my friend Mike, a finish carpenter with many years of experience, and say "Mike, we're going to start a new business together. I'll charge people a few thousand bucks to beat the crap out of their guitar, and then you charge even more to restore it." Sounds good to me.

#2850611 - 04/20/17 09:05 AM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: Sharkman]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
You think a "relic'd" guitar is fake news? I'm an EE and there is a TON of fake myths being propagated around the guitar forums. I gave up trying to set the record straight because too many of them have accepted them as gospel.

Plenty of myths being perpetuated by recording artists too. Billy Gibbons and EVH are notorious for this, they lie about their gear to keep copycats off their trail.

#2850665 - 04/20/17 01:06 PM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: The Real MC]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I'm still waiting for the new solar-powered Sunn amps . . .

@Whitefang - as our resident old movie buff, do you remember a comedy from the late 50's/early 60's where one of the characters was an Uncle or Grandpa who made "antiques"? I recall a great scene where the old guy is inviting a young boy to help him "antique" some piece of furniture, by adding a few cigarette burns, beating it with a chain, that sort of thing . . . Give me enough scrap metal and old power tools, I'll "Customize" the hell out of something!

Edited by Winston Psmith (04/20/17 01:06 PM)

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2850701 - 04/20/17 04:42 PM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: Winston Psmith]
MP Hall of Fame Member

How about some small shotgun pellets, for that authentic "bluesman running away from jealous boyfriend/husband vibe?

#2850767 - 04/21/17 04:14 AM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Winston:

'Bout an hour after I posted that movie came to mind. Worked my way to a headache trying to remember it too! grin

But, let's try some other kind of "fake news"-----

"It was announced today the WILLIE NELSON, in conjunction with MARTIN guitars, will offer a line of "Trigger" guitars, made from repurposed wood from old barns and outhouses that are perfect replicas of his famous "Trigger" N-20 model that's become as famous as HE is. Each model will come with it's own bottle of whiskey scented spray polish that contains special corrosives to help maintain it's special "look". Nelson vows to try each one that comes out of the shop, and his hands touching them alone brings the cost of each instrument to $7550. A special "relic'd" case is available, personlly run over by Willie's own pick-up truck for an additional $500. Release date is yet to be announced."
Whitefang

#2850818 - 04/21/17 09:12 AM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: whitefang]
MP Hall of Fame Member

(...IOW, Willie got stoned at the Martin factory and ran over a crate of guitars with a forklift...)

#2850953 - 04/22/17 04:10 AM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No, just the CASES, out of the crate, on a dusty old road and with his PICK-UP. wink
Whitefang

#2850966 - 04/22/17 06:14 AM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: The Real MC]
harvey Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
You think a "relic'd" guitar is fake news? I'm an EE and there is a TON of fake myths being propagated around the guitar forums. I gave up trying to set the record straight because too many of them have accepted them as gospel.

Plenty of myths being perpetuated by recording artists too. Billy Gibbons and EVH are notorious for this, they lie about their gear to keep copycats off their trail.

hey The Real MC - what's an EE?

#2850967 - 04/22/17 06:15 AM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: harvey]
harvey Offline
Platinum Member

Thank you people!

There is a Boogie and Gibson story on there too...so far...;)

#2850973 - 04/22/17 06:59 AM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: harvey]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: harvey

"Electrical Engineer", perhaps?

#2851029 - 04/22/17 10:39 AM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
The new iMAGuitarist app; lets you answer your smartphone by playing your Guitar, and the caller can hear you play at the same time. Create ads for products that exist only in your mind, waste time at home/work/school, annoy people with your smartphone in ways you never thought possible before! Also available: iMADJ!, and iMAVocalist!*

*Caution, using this app with certain Samsung models may cause SHC. Not responsible for death/injuries/property damage resulting from use of this app. User assumes all liability, by installing and using this app. Further restrictions may apply. In short, we dare you to use it . . . go ahead, try it, see what happens.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2851044 - 04/22/17 12:34 PM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: Winston Psmith]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey, SHC happens.

#2851315 - 04/23/17 09:16 PM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: harvey]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: harvey

Electronic Engineer. I graduated with a Bachelors degree.

#2851349 - 04/24/17 05:07 AM Re: Fake News. Fake Guitar News. [Re: The Real MC]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My brother was a life long bachelor. So I guess he had the same degree! crazy (He used to joke about it like that smile )
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose