Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2851947 - 04/26/17 07:28 AM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: A String]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
That's one hell of a story and I'll bet you re-live it everyday. Sorry for your loss, especially after watching the second pile of all of your salvaged stuff go up in flames too! Hope you got back on the road, later down the road! cool

GP Island
#2851961 - 04/26/17 08:28 AM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Seriously, A String, my respect! It takes heart, and gonads, to pick back up after a loss like that!

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2851999 - 04/26/17 10:10 AM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
That is one awful, sad story, Craig. I'm sorry that you and your band-mates went through that! But I'm glad that you weren't hurt, or worse.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2852059 - 04/26/17 01:07 PM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: d]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: d
Reminds me of the tactic K Richards used when organizing the Chuck Berry documentary Hail Hail Rock & Roll.
Onstage amp & mic attenuated at the board; "real" amp under the stage.

Keef is hardly alone...

#2852082 - 04/26/17 02:42 PM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: The Real MC]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
Reminds me of the tactic K Richards used when organizing the Chuck Berry documentary Hail Hail Rock & Roll.

Keef is hardly alone...

I remember this company used to offer a handful of Rack Fillers that looked impressive, but did nothing. For those clients who insist you change something on a perfect mix, it gave them knobs to play with. Seems like they're down to one product, now - The Palindrometer

#2852087 - 04/26/17 03:09 PM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Originally Posted By: The Real MC

Keef is hardly alone...

I remember this company used to offer a handful of Rack Fillers that looked impressive, but did nothing. For those clients who insist you change something on a perfect mix, it gave them knobs to play with. Seems like they're down to one product, now - The Palindrometer

I love it!

...Rats live on no evil staR...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2852408 - 04/28/17 07:55 AM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: A String]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: A String
We ALWAYS brought our own PA and mixing board. Sound was run by the band leader, on stage. There were no amps allowed and the monitors carried the FOH mix so we could hear what the audience heard. To be honest, when I was playing bass, I like it much better as I could hear exactly where I was in the mix. It was much more like studio playing.

Here is a vid where you can see the gear we used to hual with us to every gig (sans light show as it was an outdoor, day time gig). The smaller mixing board (We used to have a full sized one), power amps and then, in the second half of the video, the PA stacks.

Like the general idea (hearing what THEY hear is best) but , uh, how'd the cat hear what the audience heard when he's onstage ?
Don't y' gotsta have somebody out onna floor ?

On the other, that's one sad but true kinda on the road story y' told abt the highway fire.
Been done & there; didn't get no T shirt !
wave

#2852925 - 05/01/17 09:43 AM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: whitefang]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Should you kill a soundman? Maybe. But NEVER piss one off...

#2852940 - 05/01/17 11:21 AM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: picker]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: picker
Should you kill a soundman? Maybe. But NEVER piss one off...

Damn straight!

#2853012 - 05/01/17 04:06 PM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: A String]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az

All we could do at this point was cancel our tour and take time of to recover and regroup.

Gawd what a terrible thing to happen to you and the band. Happily none of the band burnt up with the gear.

#2853036 - 05/01/17 06:55 PM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

All we could do at this point was cancel our tour and take time of to recover and regroup.

Gawd what a terrible thing to happen to you and the band. Happily none of the band burnt up with the gear.

+1 Astring may have burnt his hands a little, but they all lived to play another day...and that's a Godsend! thu

#2853901 - 05/06/17 12:31 PM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: d]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Like the general idea (hearing what THEY hear is best) but , uh, how'd the cat hear what the audience heard when he's onstage ?
Don't y' gotsta have somebody out onna floor ?

Surprisingly, no. Once the sound test was done, at the front of house, the onstage monitors carried the same FOH mix, minus the drum levels. There were no amps allowed on stage so basically, we got to hear what they heard. Made it amazingly easy to fit into the mix as you were playing. Much more like studio playing.
My Pics

#2853912 - 05/06/17 01:19 PM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: A String]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Doesn't the room change a bit when it's full of ppl ?

#2856368 - 05/20/17 12:58 PM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: d]
Admin
10k Club

Doesn't the room change a bit when it's full of ppl ?

Sure does. Can change quite a bit, too. But, we would always pop out , at least once, when the room was filling so he could hear and make a quick change. After MANY years (the band leader was on the road most of his adult life), he got to know the rooms and know the affects a crowd had on audio output/EQ levels.
My Pics

#2856459 - 05/21/17 04:13 AM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: A String]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Wow. No amps on the STAGE? THAT'S gotta be convenient. rolleyes

But, I don't gig so what do I know? But a buddy of mine who was in a band until a few years back told me it can be harrowing at times. Places where there's not enough ROOM on the stage for both the band AND the amps with no space off stage to place the amps, and some venues WITHOUT a stage and they had to play at floor level and try to dodge drunken dancers and crap like that. I suppose for a sound guy, those kind of inconsistencies can be annoying if he doesn't command an encyclopedic knowledge of "venue variants". eek
Whitefang

#2856483 - 05/21/17 08:02 AM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: whitefang]
Admin
10k Club

More than, "no amps on stage" it was basically "no amps". We all ran direct, into the board (well, the guitar player ran into his multi effect unit and THEN into the board. But, over all the sound was amazing.

Here is an example. This was taken from my monitor mix so my vocals and bass are slightly louder than the house mix and there are VERY little drums other than what you hear through the mics. But, you can still hear the guitar and he is ROCKIN' it.

http://string.endoftheinternet.org/music/downing/PrideandJoy.mp3
My Pics

#2856504 - 05/21/17 10:30 AM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: A String]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have a Fender Floor multi that is made for going direct to the PA which works very well for running an electric guitar to a PA. It has left and right xlr and 1/4" outs so you can run to one or two channels if you want to and it has a boat load of effects. It also has an onboard noise gate and a ground lift which comes in very handy. I do use one amp for the bass which has an xlr and volume control output, before running it to the PA. I have to mic the drums a little. But it is very cool when you run everything through the PA and then I take the recording line out and can playback what we just played during the breaks at my cabin jams. My monitors are the same as my mains so I can hear what the audience hears... cool

My little Roland EX4 Street Cube also allows me to plug in a mic and an electric or acoustic guitar. It has left and right 1/4" outs for going direct to the PA. I can premix my signals using it as a monitor (or as the PA at small solo venues) and turn the PA effects off as the reverb and delay are already added. This really allows me to use some cool dynamics and judge the level of my backup guitar and my vocal. My Fishman Solo amp will do the same thing... cool

Edited by Larryz (05/21/17 10:50 AM)

#2856622 - 05/22/17 04:50 AM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
He certainly WAS "rockin' it" Astring! Was that YOU? or..WHO?

And DEFINITELY no gripe about the SOUND! like
Whitefang

#2856636 - 05/22/17 06:54 AM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: whitefang]
Admin
10k Club

I was singing and playing the bass in that song. Both the bass and guitar were run direct into the board.
My Pics

#2856641 - 05/22/17 07:08 AM Re: Is It Ever Okay To Kill the Sound Guy? [Re: A String]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Now that's what I call some Pride and Joy Astring! My favorite SRV tune. Great job on the bass and vocals and the lead player did great too! cool

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose