Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2849829 - 04/16/17 12:40 PM Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70.
CEB Offline
10k Club

Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. He was a favorite of mine.

"I wish windshield wipers had tap tempo" Gavin Hage

GP Island
#2849834 - 04/16/17 12:49 PM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: CEB]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Dang, I always thought of him as a pretty young guy. Sorry to hear it. RIP.

#2849852 - 04/16/17 01:36 PM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
Rest in Peace Allan, the world and my world, will miss a great well respected jazz guitar player... cool

#2849916 - 04/16/17 08:32 PM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: Larryz]
02R96 Offline
Platinum Member

Wasn't he just interviewed in Guitar Player not too long ago?

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

#2849920 - 04/16/17 09:02 PM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: 02R96]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
A monster player. RIP.......
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2849950 - 04/17/17 04:38 AM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I only knew of him through his work with Jean-Luc Ponty and Tony Williams, but MAN! What great stuff!!

RIP my good man. Have fun wherever you are with Bruce. wink
Whitefang

#2849951 - 04/17/17 04:38 AM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: desertbluesman]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Totally shocked-
I was fortunate to see him live in Tokyo, around the time that `Flat Tire` was released, he had Greg Bisonette on bass.

I saw him many years ago in NY-he was with his I.O.U. band. There`s a bit of a story to that, after the show my bandmate at the time spotted a guy trying to steal one of Chad Wackerman`s drums. The police found him a short time later. We had been waiting outside to maybe say hello to Allan-we ended up with more than that. He thanked us all personally, we got tour T-shirts-mine hasn`t held up well but I still have it-and we were put on the guest list for his show the following night which, thanks to my idiot workplace telling my friends I already left I wasn`t able to attend. It was Allan AND Steve Morse AND Steve Howe.
It`s a miracle that my workplace didn`t have an `electrical problem` and burn to the ground...

RIP Mr. Holdsworth. It was truly an honor.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2849977 - 04/17/17 08:06 AM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: skipclone 1]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Sorry to hear. He was a hell of a player.

#2850019 - 04/17/17 11:00 AM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: Delta]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Seemed like a decent sort of guy, too, from what I've seen of his interviews and clinics. I attend one of his clinics in Long Island, and he was open and friendly with everyone - certainly not some arrogant jerk - which are usually the MEDIOCRE players, come to think of it.
I saw him play a couple of times. At one concert, there was some kind of problem with the sound, which he wasn't happy about. The music ended and I heard him "and THAT'S ALL I KNOW!" He then shrugged and moved on to the next tune - the show must go on and all that.
Allan is a real example of artistic integrity - he always stuck to his guns, and hated it when record companies tried to pair him with musicians he didn't want to play with and simplify his material so as to make him a "star".
So his legacy will mostly be that lots of guitarists (and others) put him on a pedestal!
Like Frank Zappa, who called him "the most interesting player on the planet", and Eddie Van Halen who said that Allan Holdsworth "is the best in my book". Robben Ford said he was a "monster", presumably in a musical and not personal sense..... And a lot of jazz players have said he was a very fine musician.
Recently I heard an interesting piece where he played with saxist Wayne Shorter (Miles Davis, Weather Report) - those interested can google "Allan Holdsworth with Wayne Shorter" on YouTube. Their sounds blended beautifully!

#2850038 - 04/17/17 12:11 PM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: Eric Iverson]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I was shocked and quite saddened to learn this morning of Allan's passing.

He was arguably the most advanced guitarist ever. No one played like him before he came around; some emulated him afterward, and no easy task, that. His was a unique personal style of playing-technique and music. He made this world a richer place and we're much poorer without him around anymore.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2850053 - 04/17/17 12:52 PM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
CEB Offline
10k Club

He thought about things in a different way.

#2850054 - 04/17/17 12:56 PM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: CEB]
CEB Offline
10k Club

#2850176 - 04/18/17 04:33 AM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: CEB]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Allan had a book out in the '80s, "Reaching For The Uncommon Chord" with transcriptions of his music and performance notes. I still have it somewhere, and may dig it out this weekend just to run through some of those things. Worth checking out.
Although I didn't hear any mention of his passing on the news, I DID see a poster "Allan Holdsworth - RIP" with his dates of birth and death, on the front of B. B. King's on 42 St. in Manhattan this morning, so at least SOME people care.......

#2851011 - 04/22/17 08:52 AM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: Eric Iverson]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/fans...ocid=spartandhp <---fans raised over 100 grand for his funeral through go fund me... cool

#2851098 - 04/22/17 07:22 PM Re: Allan Holdsworth passes away at age 70. [Re: Larryz]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose