Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2848791 - 04/12/17 04:48 AM Yamaha MX88-BK
The_Star_Guy Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Went to the local Guitar Center and came across an unexpected item on display. Yamaha appears to have joined a number of other manufacturers in the sub $1000 weighted 88 key synth arena with a newly released 88 key version of the updated MX-BK 49/61 synths. The action appears to be similar to the GHS action used on the 88 key MOXF. I played it for about 20 minutes with a MOXF8 nearby. According to labels on the MX88-BK, it also appears to directly support the FM Essentials app as well. For those without access to an 8 element Motif and in need of a weighted Yamaha 88 note action in their setups this could be worth investigating as an alternative to the Casio PX-5S and the Juno DS-88.

Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Kawai MP-6, Hammond XK-2, Rhodes MK-80; Yamaha AW-1600, Yamaha QY-100, Yamaha TX-7

KC Island
#2848798 - 04/12/17 05:21 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: The_Star_Guy]
Dockeys Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
that's weird. No sign of any announcement online nor did I see any coverage of one at Musikmesse??? Might make sense as a cutdown version of the MOXF but the MOXF is itself already a cutdown version of the XF series. If the weight was a good bit lighter then Id be interested in trying one tho I don't really enjoy the GHS action. Anyone see any information online for this?

#2848803 - 04/12/17 05:42 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: Dockeys]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Well, it makes sense, as Yamaha hasn't really had a competitor in the lightweight-88-under-a-grand category to go against the PX5S/DS88 mentioned and also the Kross. They've had the MM8, but it's really old and doesn't stack up well against it's competitors, in features or in sound. It's 10 years old already, and even when it came out, it was a low-cost repackage of Motif sounds that were already years old.

Though personally, I would have liked to see a lightweight (non hammer action) 7x key version of the MX.

#2848895 - 04/12/17 10:29 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
The_Star_Guy Offline

The MX series is based upon the Motif XS architecture and does not include an on-board sequencer like the MOXF, although it is capable of some very interesting multiple layer options when used in performance mode and edited from an external editor. The S08 and MM8 were Yamaha's earlier budget 88 note boards, based upon the S-80 and Motif ES, respectively.

Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Kawai MP-6, Hammond XK-2, Rhodes MK-80; Yamaha AW-1600, Yamaha QY-100, Yamaha TX-7

#2848910 - 04/12/17 11:13 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: The_Star_Guy]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
Star Guy, are you sure you didn't dream this last night ? wink

I Googled MX-88, and this is what came up for Yamaha's site:

Yamaha, Discontinued Product

#2848917 - 04/12/17 11:42 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: allan_evett]
The_Star_Guy Offline

Ha ha! Guess I should have taken photos! My GC had two, one on display which I played for 20 minutes, and one still in a sealed box. Since it had a marketing display label highlighting the fact that it supported FM Essentials (which is also a new app) it is definitely a new product. Do a Google search for MX88-BK, and you will find that Yamaha applied for & registered the FCC MSIP ID for the name on 1/26/2017 of this year. It was not my imagination, as I was actually in the market for a Digital Piano for my gig setup. I also played the new RD-2000 again (2nd time) as well.

#2848939 - 04/12/17 01:10 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: The_Star_Guy]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Interesting....

How did you like the MX88, as compared to other keyboards in that price range ? First impressions ?

#2848943 - 04/12/17 01:15 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: allan_evett]
CEB Offline
10k Club

#2849012 - 04/12/17 07:28 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: CEB]
The_Star_Guy Offline

Okay.....well, the saga continues...

Apparently, I was in the right place at the wrong time yesterday, as the GC where I saw this yesterday had it pulled off the floor today. The official GC release date is the 20th, but Yamaha shipped it in early and it was supposed to be "on hold" status & stored safely in the back room until then. So you get to tease me for 8 more days... laugh . I just hope that no one got in trouble over this!

As for basic sound comparisons, IMHO it beats the Kross hands down. The PX5S might have a (slightly) faster action but the MX88 BK sounds better to my ears. Only the Juno DS88 seems competitive, as it does have the pads & a number of flexible features. As a basic pro-level keyboard the Yamaha is a good value, and even if the GHS action is not to everyone's taste it is far from unplayable, & plays very well with the voices that I tried. It is a great option to add weighted keys to a stage setup for someone who is primarily synth/organ based. The real question would be if this updated model includes the full XS waveform ROM, or still uses a truncated version like the original MX? Only 8 more days to find out.....

Edited by The_Star_Guy (04/13/17 05:51 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification & spelling

#2849018 - 04/12/17 07:52 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: The_Star_Guy]
aronnelson Online   content
Gold Member

> IMHO it beats the Cross hands down

It may beat the Cross but no way does it beat the Kross!!!!
Not when the Kross has a TR-808 style step sequence, drum loop, and arpeggiator on every program. Plus a sequencer, stereo audio recorder and battery power!
:-)

#2849019 - 04/12/17 07:53 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: The_Star_Guy]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: The_Star_Guy
As for basic comparisons, IMHO it beats the Cross hands down.

Compared to MX, I think it falls out this way: Kross has better MIDI controller and sequencer functions, audio recorder, bigger (more informative) display, more on-board editing, mic input, battery operation, more simultaneous effects. But I think the Yamaha generally comes out ahead in sound, polyphony, USB/DAW integration and presumably action.

#2849026 - 04/12/17 08:22 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
So would the Kross be better than a Krome (oddly enough) or is the Krome in another market demographic again?

#2849028 - 04/12/17 08:36 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: miden]
10k Club

Kross has some advantages over Krome (lighter weight, 16 dedicated patch select buttons, step sequencer, mic/line in, battery operation, audio recording) but Kross has a lot more wave memory (especially piano/EP), more polyphony, touchscreen interface. So, it depends...

Edited by AnotherScott (04/13/17 06:13 AM)
Edit Reason: whoops!

#2849030 - 04/12/17 08:38 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Krome has some advantages over Kross (lighter weight, 16 dedicated patch select buttons, step sequencer, mic/line in, battery operation, audio recording) but Kross has a lot more wave memory (especially piano/EP), more polyphony, touchscreen interface. So, it depends...

You have that backwards smile

Krome has the touch screen, etc..etc...

#2849069 - 04/13/17 01:27 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: EscapeRocks]
Gold Member

The Kross is not supposed to be very good since it is so cheap, but on the gig -this thing spits fire! You can get crazy soloing sounds and the analog synth brass kills through a QSC. I paid for it with one gig and I love it.

It's good enough to cover a gig or jam session and it only weights around 9 pounds. The drum loops are fun to jam over and it really does sound better than it should.

The piano sound is nothing to talk about but with a band - it cuts and people like the sound of it.

#2849085 - 04/13/17 05:46 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: aronnelson]
The_Star_Guy Offline

Originally Posted By: aronnelson

It's good enough to cover a gig or jam session and it only weights around 9 pounds.

The 88 key version of the Kross is listed as having a weight of 27.3 lbs.

Allan asked for my first impressions of the MX88-BK after a brief 20 minute audition. IMHO, given the differences in both sound quality and keyboard action between the Korg Kross and the Yamaha at the same price point, I would be swayed to the Yamaha. However, the Korg Kross unquestionably has one of the most intuitive & easy to use interfaces around, and would probably excel for use in a live gig situation. I hope that clarifies my earlier statements.

#2849093 - 04/13/17 06:16 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: EscapeRocks]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
You have that backwards smile

Thanks, fixed! Hopefully it didn't throw anyone... in the context of the previous posts, it was obviously an accidental word-flip, but especially by itself... yup, whoops!

#2849095 - 04/13/17 06:28 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: aronnelson]
10k Club

The Kross is not supposed to be very good since it is so cheap, but on the gig -this thing spits fire! You can get crazy soloing sounds and the analog synth brass kills through a QSC. I paid for it with one gig and I love it.

It's good enough to cover a gig or jam session and it only weights around 9 pounds. The drum loops are fun to jam over and it really does sound better than it should.

Yeah, it's a fun little board, and especially if you're focussing on its synthier sounds. It's mostly the acoustic instrument sounds where they tend to fall behind Yamaha. And yeah, you can't beat the light weight in a 61. Out of the Roland/Yamaha/Casio competition, it's the lightest by 1-2 pounds. Though if you want more of the focus on acoustic sounds and are willing to drop to 49 keys, you can get lighter with an MX49, whose action is a bit better too.

#2849573 - 04/14/17 11:24 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
DecentJam Offline

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MX88BK-Keyboard-Production-Station/dp/B06XSRMGM8

Disappointed if that's correct. Same size as the MOXF8 and only 2 lbs lighter. Was hoping it would be more compact and compete with the PX-5S.

#2849576 - 04/15/17 12:01 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: DecentJam]
JohnH Offline
Platinum Member

Delete

Edited by JohnH (04/15/17 03:07 AM)

#2850541 - 04/20/17 12:36 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: JohnH]
The_Star_Guy Offline

Kraft Music Demos now available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT6bxnY4TRk

#2850543 - 04/20/17 01:00 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: The_Star_Guy]
Gold Member

>Though if you want more of the focus on acoustic sounds and are willing to drop to 49 keys, you can get lighter with an MX49, whose action is a bit better too.

I found the mx keyboard to be bad as well and most of the demo keys were broken which swayed me to the Kross. I like the programming power of the Kross a lot more than the MX at the time. Don't regret getting it at all.

I would assume the new MX88 to be much better.
If it has the usual GH action - it will be great! I love the Yamaha weighted action!

Edited by aronnelson (04/20/17 01:01 AM)

#2850544 - 04/20/17 01:28 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: aronnelson]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
To me, it looks better than the MOXF8. But that doesn't take much.

I hope it doesn't have the flimsy plastic that seems to be standard on current low-budget models. If a relatively small company like StudioLogic (or Arturia) can build them with better materials at low prices, surely Yamaha/Roland/Korg can make that happen with their vastly larger yields?

#2850547 - 04/20/17 02:16 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: DecentJam]
Dockeys Offline

Originally Posted By: DecentJam
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MX88BK-Keyboard-Production-Station/dp/B06XSRMGM8

Disappointed if that's correct. Same size as the MOXF8 and only 2 lbs lighter. Was hoping it would be more compact and compete with the PX-5S.

I didn't think it was going to be much lighter than the MOXF8. That's already got the plastic chassis and the keyed is nearly always the heaviest part of an 88 key keyboard. I remember taking apart my old Yamaha S90 and when I removed the keyed it felt like it weighed about 90% of the actual unit weight. And that had a metal chassis.

Still if Casio can do relatively good action with the PX5s and the PX560 and keep them around the 10/11kgs mark you got to wonder why can't Yamaha?

Looks like a pretty good entry level keyboard. You still get some great Motif sounds though it they just say "Motif" and not XS of XF so the Motif "sound" could be from an older generation and is pretty long in the tooth these days. Seems to be limited to layering only two sounds and one split point?

#2850561 - 04/20/17 05:04 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: Dockeys]
The_Star_Guy Offline

Originally Posted By: Dockeys

Looks like a pretty good entry level keyboard. You still get some great Motif sounds though it they just say "Motif" and not XS of XF so the Motif "sound" could be from an older generation and is pretty long in the tooth these days. Seems to be limited to layering only two sounds and one split point?

The original MX series is based upon the 8 element Motif XS sound set. Not sure about the split point limitations but the original MX series also had some pretty amazing performance layering capabilities...provided that you used the free external VycroMX editor. There was a limit as to what can be done directly from the front panel, but if you edited & created your performances beforehand on computer and then saved them you could have some amazing super stacked performance multi-layers. We have yet to explore as to what can be done with this updated version.

#2850563 - 04/20/17 05:16 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: Dockeys]
10k Club

>Though if you want more of the focus on acoustic sounds and are willing to drop to 49 keys, you can get lighter with an MX49, whose action is a bit better too.

I found the mx keyboard to be bad as well and most of the demo keys were broken which swayed me to the Kross. I like the programming power of the Kross a lot more than the MX at the time. Don't regret getting it at all.

I would assume the new MX88 to be much better.
If it has the usual GH action - it will be great! I love the Yamaha weighted action!

The reason I said that the MX49 action is a bit better than the Kross 61 is that the Kross action is less consistent from front to back. For the same effect, you need to use more force toward the back of the keys than you do at the front, and i's also harder to control dynamics in general when playing there. It's not so much of an issue on the Yamaha.

As for the MX88, it uses the GHS action like the MOX8, not the GH action of boards like the CP40 and P255.

Originally Posted By: zephonic
To me, it looks better than the MOXF8
I hope it doesn't have the flimsy plastic that seems to be standard on current low-budget models.

I think that squared-off looking picture is misleading, and it's actually using the same kind of chassis as the MOX8 in shape and material. The cleaner squared off look of the pic is appealing through. Kind of reminds me of the GrandStage.

Still if Casio can do relatively good action with the PX5s and the PX560 and keep them around the 10/11kgs mark you got to wonder why can't Yamaha?

"X can do it so why can't Y" sounds logical, but actually isn't. Companies are made of people, who all have different skill sets and talents... the intellectual and design resources of the companies are not interchangeable. It's like saying, pitcher X is getting everyone out, why can't pitcher Y? Or, Keith Emerson could play that, why can't you? (Though maybe you can. ;-) ) Besides that, the first company to design something a certain way often has patents. So then it's up to company Y to design something just as good, without doing it the way company X did.

But kudos to Casio for their current design. It wasn't that long ago that their lightweight piano action was worse than Yamaha's. i.e. I though the PX-130/PX-330 design felt worse than Yamaha's competitive GHS... and actually worse than some of Casio's earlier boards, for that matter. Sometimes designs that are improvements in one way--in this case, adding a third sensor--can be worse in another.

As for whether or not Yamaha is actually working one improving the design, well, who knows. It's not like no one is buying the one they have. ;-)

Assuming this is electronically identical to the non-88 versions of the MX, the soundset is from the Motif XS, though it doesn't include all the sounds that the XS did (166 mb wave data vs. 355). Correct about a front panel limit of layering two sounds and one split point, though you can go beyond that with a software editor, i.e. http://vycromx.com

#2850576 - 04/20/17 06:53 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
nickd Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UK
Forgive my ignorance, but what does this offer compared to the MOX8 Yamaha sold in 2011?

#2850579 - 04/20/17 07:03 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: nickd]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: nickd
Forgive my ignorance, but what does this offer compared to the MOX8 Yamaha sold in 2011?

About $600 more in your pocket, as I recall.

Also, simpler operation. Yeah, it's not as capable, but some people are turned off or overwhelmed by the complexity of the more Motif-like Yamahas, and don't need the other features.

#2850583 - 04/20/17 07:18 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
nickd Offline
Gold Member

Also, simpler operation.

Fair points! Just seems like Yamaha haven't progressed in 6 years...

#2850590 - 04/20/17 07:52 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: nickd]
The_Star_Guy Offline

The original MOX8 was only 64 note polyphonic, and also used an older firmware that didn't support many of the more current enhanced operational developments. It did have an on-board sequencer as well, which the MX88-BK does not have. Connected to a laptop or IOS device however, & the MX88-BK offers quite a bit of improved functionality, including the ability to play back connected IOS apps directly thru the MX88-BK's integrated USB hardware DAC connectivity. It also has a much more streamlined interface compared to the MOX8, which may be it's best feature for many non-Yamaha-types. We will need the operators manual to confirm other features, of course, whenever that becomes available.

#2850592 - 04/20/17 07:54 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: nickd]
10k Club

Well, their M.O. with this kind of thing is typically to come out with new stuff on the high end, and then let the tech trickle down in the subsequent years, so I'm not surprised to not see new tech here. Meanwhile on the high end, they did come out with the Montage, and also did a whole different thing with the Reface.

#2850593 - 04/20/17 07:55 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: nickd]
Dockeys Offline

Do you not think the recent Montage was a big leap from the Motif?

They certainly are milking the Motif range..but what company doesn't do this? I was working with another keyboard player last night who said my MOXF8 looked very intimidating! Something like the MX88 might be perfect for them? Weighted keys, pretty decent sound set, not too heavy and the potential to dig deeper if you so wanted. There must be a market for keyboard like this.

They'll probably be a Montage Lite a la the MOXF trickle down within the next year as well.

#2850594 - 04/20/17 07:56 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
Dockeys Offline

Well, their M.O. with this kind of thing is typically to come out with new stuff on the high end, and then let the tech trickle down in the subsequent years, so I'm not surprised to not see new tech here. Meanwhile on the high end, they did come out with the Montage, and also did a whole different thing with the Reface.

you beat me to it by a minute! smile

#2850595 - 04/20/17 07:57 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: nickd]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria, BC Canada

Also, simpler operation.

I'm sure they have - they're just squeezing the Motif till it's dry. You'll be paying for trickle-down Montage offspring in 2023.

Ah, you guys beat me to it too!

Edited by drawback (04/20/17 07:58 AM)

#2850596 - 04/20/17 08:00 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: drawback]
nickd Offline
Gold Member

OK, good points - I meant that Yamaha haven't progressed with this particular product (not overall), but I stand corrected anyway, as it looks to have some good new features.

And I agree that simplicity is good - I downsized from a Kurzweil PC361 to a SP4-7 for just that reason.

#2850598 - 04/20/17 08:03 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: The_Star_Guy]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: The_Star_Guy
We will need the operators manual to confirm other features, of course, whenever that becomes available.

I expect that the feature set and manual will be identical to the current MX49/61, except it's got the 88 keys.

You're right, the MX has more polyphony than the MOX did. It also has a different effects structure which is better or worse depending on what you need... up to four single insert effect on the MX, vs. three dual insert effects on the MOX. Though also, the ROM on the MX is about half the size, it does have all the MOX sounds. I'm not sure about the DAW difference you mention... it's not a feature I ever used, but both the MOX and MX did include some kind of USB/DAW integration.

#2850629 - 04/20/17 10:43 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Dammit. I still want a 76 key version of this.

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2850637 - 04/20/17 10:58 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: Dreamchilde]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You and me both, but we're a dying breed, I guess.

I've been rocking an 88 on the bottom tier with a 76 on top for years, but I'm getting ready to downsize. When the Korg Grandstage comes out, I'll probably get that with a 61 on top.

#2850651 - 04/20/17 11:48 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: zephonic]
10k Club

Yup, an MX76 or MOXF7 is what I've long wanted (and as long as I'm dreaming, sure, with aftertouch). There remains a dearth of lightweight 7x boards. But Nord has improved the situation a bit by finally going down to low E on their 73 SW boards, making it finally a "usable" 73 for me. The Electro 5D is about 20 lbs. I think that's the lightest 73 except for the Krome at about 18. But the Nord is its own animal, and while the Krome more directly competes with these Yamahas, I prefer these Yamaha's action, ergonomics, and acoustic instrument sounds to Krome's. Kurzweil has some good options in the SP4-7 and Artis7, but again, heavier. (MX61 is about 10.6 lbs compared to SP4-7's 24; MOXF6 about 15.5 compared to Artis7's 27.7 - I figure that 7x-key versions of these Yamahas would be a lot closer in weight to the 61 key versions than to those Kurzs.)

#2850670 - 04/20/17 01:17 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sweetwater has it on their website now: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MX88BK

and it's finally up on Yamaha's own site as well:

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/music_production/synthesizers/mx88/

#2850674 - 04/20/17 01:31 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
SeaGtGruff Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA

Also, simpler operation. Yeah, it's not as capable, but some people are turned off or overwhelmed by the complexity of the more Motif-like Yamahas, and don't need the other features.

Actually, that's $700 more in your pocket-- $999 versus $1699! It might not be as good as the MOXF8 as far as sounds, wave memory, and expandability, but it's nearly half the price and still has 8-element voice editing, plus the GHS keyboard, so it seems like a pretty good bargain.

#2850677 - 04/20/17 01:41 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: zephonic]
Nadroj Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally Posted By: zephonic
You and me both, but we're a dying breed, I guess.

I've been rocking an 88 on the bottom tier with a 76 on top for years, but I'm getting ready to downsize. When the Korg Grandstage comes out, I'll probably get that with a 61 on top.

+1. I feel 76 weighted is ideal for gigging and I wish more companies would go for it.

Weight of the MX88 is nice, but too long for my uses.

#2850678 - 04/20/17 01:43 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: SeaGtGruff]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
So they've put a beefed up MX/Motif and matched it to the P-45/P-115/YDP GHS action with pitch/mod and DAW control in a 30lbs package for $999.99. That's not shabby at all. If you were looking at any of the entry level stage pianos (with or without speakers) to gig with and you get on with the GHS action over the Casio or low-end Kawai and Roland Ivory Feel G - heck and if you also bring your laptop with Mainstage or Cantabile. Pretty cost effective $1k keyboard.

#2850680 - 04/20/17 01:50 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: ElmerJFudd]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah. I'm looking at this primarily as a controller/audio interface.

I've been testing my laptop setup with an Audient iD14 interface, and it's just something I don't want to deal with. I want the audio I/O integrated in one of the keyboards so I can just grab the volume knob when needed.
If I can't find a decent 76'er with aftertouch and audio I/O (only options are Montage 7 and Jupiter 80), maybe I should just replace my NordPiano with this.

#2850681 - 04/20/17 01:51 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: zephonic]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Which NP did you pick up?

#2850682 - 04/20/17 01:53 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: ElmerJFudd]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2850683 - 04/20/17 02:05 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: zephonic]
MP Hall of Fame Member

ah ha. then this will do a few things that one doesn't. especially with regard to controller for your vst rack. and you might even prefer the action.

#2850686 - 04/20/17 02:23 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: ElmerJFudd]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, the NP88 wasn't build to be a controller. And the MX88 is almost 9 lbs. lighter. On the downside, wall-wart.

But all in all, the MX88 with Keyscape seems like a neat combo.

#2850700 - 04/20/17 04:25 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: Nadroj]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Nadroj
+1. I feel 76 weighted is ideal for gigging and I wish more companies would go for it.

Oh! In my response, I was thinking about 76 unweighted! But yeah, a 76 weighted version of this would have appeal too. I think maybe part of the issue is that, when 61, 7x, and 88 versions of the same board are available, I think the 7x is usually the slowest seller of the three... but also, it looks like they were probably able to repurpose the molds for the MOX8/MOXF8 chassis. They don't have a basic 7x chassis, so there is more of an initial tooling expense, which is quite expensive in plastic.

#2850703 - 04/20/17 04:59 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I was hoping to see a 76 weighted of the MX instrument, but it seems the entry level tier for most of the majors is 61 and 88. Still, the MX88 looks to be a very strong at its price point. You essentially get the Voice soundset of a Motif XS; not shabby at all. I suspect the pianos will have more sustain in the sample than those on the Kross or Juno DS88. Those Motif pianos have stood the test of time for stage, and work well in both uptempo pieces and open, exposed ballad-style playing. I'd definitely recommend this one.

#2850705 - 04/20/17 05:11 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: allan_evett]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: allan_evett
Yeah, I was hoping to see a 76 weighted of the MX instrument, but it seems the entry level tier for most of the majors is 61 and 88. Still, the MX88 looks to be a very strong at its price point. You essentially get the Voice soundset of a Motif XS; not shabby at all. I suspect the pianos will have more sustain in the sample than those on the Kross or Juno DS88. Those Motif pianos have stood the test of time for stage, and work well in both uptempo pieces and open, exposed ballad-style playing. I'd definitely recommend this one.

It's not the complete XS soundset (about half the sample ROM), but all the sounds in it do come from the XS, so yes, it would be the XS piano. Some sounds will be different because the XS permitted two insert effects on a sound, the MX only supports one. I like the Kross but would give the Yamaha the edge for piano and most acoustic instrument sounds. I still haven't heard the Juno DS.

#2850709 - 04/20/17 06:00 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Let's be honest, the Motif library has served the keyboard playing community well since 2001. It's amazing what they've done with a tiny ROM, their compression technology was/is very good. Economics has brought it down to a just barely sub $1k price point and accessible to a lot more people. Players interested in Forte, Kronos, Nord Stage 3 are going to do that - but this is a pretty good deal. And light. Just take good care of it, because it's not going to be built like a Motifxx or S90xx at 30lbs and $1k.

#2850712 - 04/20/17 06:16 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Gold Member

Yeah, wow, only 5 pounds more than the PX-5S with probably a substantially better overall sound set. I'm not familiar with this GH action, but if it's close to the P80 I have, that would be great!

My PX-5S is really great but mostly for piano and pads. The EP is OK but not the best to me. The rest of the sounds are ok but I wouldn't put in the same league as a Motif.

I really miss the Yamaha sound lately. My friend brought an S770 to a gig and I thought it sounded pretty darn good (the EP sound).

Edited by aronnelson (04/20/17 06:17 PM)

#2850720 - 04/20/17 07:27 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: ElmerJFudd]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
It's amazing what they've done with a tiny ROM, their compression technology was/is very good.
I don't know whether they compress any better or worse than anyone else, but yes, Yamaha has tended to get a lot of quality out of relatively small sample sets... same with Kurzweil. I suspect it is not compression making the big difference... theres the quality of the original samples, and the flexibility within the architecture that determines what can be done with those samples, and the talent/ears of the people doing the sampling and programming.

#2850729 - 04/20/17 09:04 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
^^^ this I reckon.Have great samples to start with, you get great sound. If it were available now, I might have got it instead of the 560.

Speaking of which, I know its the same keybed as the PX 5 but it feels nicer somehow and the gap between the keys seems slightly (maybe 1/2 a mill??) wider which means they don't knock together like they did on my px 5 with annoying "clacking sounds" haha1

#2850736 - 04/20/17 10:15 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: aronnelson]
The_Star_Guy Offline

+1 for a 76 key weighted version!

I used to own a P-80 a while back, and the GHS action is close enough that you won't be disappointed. I played it again today, and the Concert Grand Piano along with the EP's seem very strong and eminently playable. And the control interface is streamlined enough that it would make a very flexible core 88 key gigging board, especially with the integrated IOS & VST remote control options.

#2850871 - 04/21/17 01:39 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's not the complete XS soundset (about half the sample ROM), but all the sounds in it do come from the XS, so yes, it would be the XS piano. Some sounds will be different because the XS permitted two insert effects on a sound, the MX only supports one. I like the Kross but would give the Yamaha the edge for piano and most acoustic instrument sounds. I still haven't heard the Juno DS.

I've played the Juno DS88 a fair amount. The 2nd keyboardist/guitarist on my previous church gig used one, so I was able to spend some time digging in. I still prefer basic Yamaha AWM pianos over the DS88 and PX-5S pianos (and for stage work am coming to really like Roland SN). But the pianos in the DS88 are very playable, reminding me somewhat of scaled down versions of those in the original RD700 or FP4. Meanwhile the pianos in the PX-5S have their own loyal following; they have that slightly darker vibe reminiscent of a stage mic'd Steinway (on which the sample set is based).

I like the synth engines in the Juno DS88 and PX-5S a lot. Each has a certain 'spiciness' not present in the MX series. To be fair, the 'best of Motif' sound set is solid bread-'n-butter stuff, and inspiring sometimes; but the Hex Synth in the PX-5S and sample-based library of the Juno DS are both a heck of a lot of fun, and have many inspiring moments. I'd love to see what Casio could do with a higher-end Hex Synth-only instrument. Meanwhile the Juno DS synth engine is like a trip down memory lane; very well done.

#2850877 - 04/21/17 01:48 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: allan_evett]
10k Club

I still prefer basic Yamaha AWM pianos over the DS88 and PX-5S pianos ...But the pianos in the DS88 are very playable, reminding me somewhat of scaled down versions of those in the original RD700 or FP4.

There are two optional piano sets on the axial web site that can be loaded into the DS (EXP-04 and EP-09), have you tried those? I'm curious how they would compare to the stock piano in the DS.

#2851516 - 04/24/17 02:55 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
I just played an MX 88BK at Guitar Center Emeryville this morning, for about 30 minutes or so.

I'm very impressed, and if I was in the market for this form factor I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

Hefting it off the stand - it's perceptually very light for its size. It plays very nicely. The MX sounds really acquit themselves well, and plenty of variations on the major themes (pianos, EPs, etc).

minor niggle is there is apparently still the CP4-esque sustain pedal implementation - if you plug in the wrong "normally closed / open" kinda pedal, you can't switch polarity recognition, and rebooting doesn't fit it. Sigh.

That aside, the action feels substantial but I can still play fast, the bread and butter sounds are totally gig-worthy (of course, organ purists may be drawn to another all-rounder like an Electro), and the overall package hefts lighter than it appears. Not much not to like. But I don't need another 88 key weighted board in the arsenal, so not for me. But for many, this should be worthy of a demo before making any purchase decision.

#2851519 - 04/24/17 03:09 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: timwat]
Ensenada Guide Offline

Loc: Baja Mexico Ensenada
so the actions is? a bit to stiff?
information on the twinity keyboard . smile

#2851520 - 04/24/17 03:10 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: Ensenada Guide]
Ensenada Guide Offline

Loc: Baja Mexico Ensenada
looks like you cant upload any sounds right from the yammi library?
information on the twinity keyboard . smile

#2851521 - 04/24/17 03:22 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: timwat]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: timwat
Iminor niggle is there is apparently still the CP4-esque sustain pedal implementation - if you plug in the wrong "normally closed / open" kinda pedal, you can't switch polarity recognition, and rebooting doesn't fit it. Sigh.

I don't see that changing. Yamaha makes their own pedals, they are not motivated to build in options so you can use someone else's.

#2851523 - 04/24/17 03:31 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Iminor niggle is there is apparently still the CP4-esque sustain pedal implementation - if you plug in the wrong "normally closed / open" kinda pedal, you can't switch polarity recognition, and rebooting doesn't fit it. Sigh.

I don't see that changing. Yamaha makes their own pedals, they are not motivated to build in options so you can use someone else's.

My first reaction to this is I'd disagree (edit: let me clarify: Scott you may be right that it's not changing any time soon...I just think it's the wrong logic for a manufacturer to take as it defeats some of the purpose of standardized connections) - in my way of thinking a big point of standardized connection jacks is to make life easier for the working musician. The 'modern Apple' way of looking at this would next have Yamaha developing proprietary sustain jack protocol to only use their pedals, eradicate interchangeability, and finally do away with the IEC power cord jack (okay, that last part may be a stretch). Especially as Yamaha used to support "any kind of pedal" with their old power-cycle reboot trick.

Now, all that being said, perhaps I'm just overly sensitive because I just got caught with my pants down at a gig with my CP4., and as such I note it as simply a minor niggle.

The MX88 is still quite a lot of value for the money, and my CP4 is still quite wonderful to play when the venue doesn't have a grand piano (as long as I pack the Yamaha pedal).

Now, I remember seeing somewhere on the MX forum board that you can, in fact upload "some" older Motif patches into the MX - someone has built a translator that attempts to map the appropriate MX waveforms into Motif patches (that same forum post noted the MX has fewer waveforms and inferior A/D compared to the Motif). But all that is hearsay, I don't have first-hand experience with any of this - I don't own an MX and have never owned a Motif.

Mostly just sharing my experience playing the MX88 in the store.

Edited by timwat (04/24/17 03:38 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification noted above

#2851574 - 04/24/17 07:49 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: timwat]
10k Club

Now, I remember seeing somewhere on the MX forum board that you can, in fact upload "some" older Motif patches into the MX - someone has built a translator that attempts to map the appropriate MX waveforms into Motif patches (that same forum post noted the MX has fewer waveforms and inferior A/D compared to the Motif).

I think the John Melas tools allow you to bring Motif XS sound into the MX as you suggest. Yes, some things would have to be approximations because the MX only includes a subset of the waves in the XS. Also, the XS permitted two insert effects on a voice (program), the MX only supports one.

#2851712 - 04/25/17 09:43 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
dsetto Offline

It's my loose understanding that MX series has AWM2 sound engine that's in Motif series. Difference is, for full editing, software editor is required. Stock and permanent waveforms are what they are. (Not upgradeable.)

What could be neat, is interaction with a Yamaha FM app. Not a Montage 8, but neither in cost or weight.

#2851714 - 04/25/17 09:50 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: dsetto]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

As far as I can tell, the iPad FM app runs all the computational lifting, and just uses the MX as the audio interface. And it only runs in connection with the MX - so the MX itself didn't gain any hidden or locked or otherwise FM capability - it never had any. Yamaha just created an iOS FM app and locked it into the MX for the audio.

The thing is, I'm starting to look at the MX as a soft of side-ways competitor for the Electro. yes, differences abound - but for what I'd use it for - a schlep-able bread and butter board - it's a half-the-cost option to a Nord.

The 88 doesn't interest me - I've got the CP4. But the MX61 continues to make that light in my peripheral vision blink on and off.

#2851734 - 04/25/17 10:39 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: timwat]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I have an MX61. And it is a great bread and butter board. But sometimes I wish I'd held out for the MOXF6.

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2851747 - 04/25/17 11:41 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: Dreamchilde]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
I thought about it as a replacement for my Casio Px5-s, just played the MX-88 at GC for lunch break it plays/sounds very good but it looks like the MX-88 will only split into 2 zones.. I need more than 2 with the 80's band in my bottom board...I find I have a few 3/4 way splits and some w/overlaps.

I'd also would loose the Hex-Layer synth sounds on the PX5-s which as someone mentioned are actually pretty good. I would gain an Exp. Pedal though!

I'd also gain better piano/EP's, organ (for what it's worth). The action, well I think the PX5-s is really hard to beat.
I find Yamaha sounds are worthwhile though and would have maybe bitten if the split was at least 3 way. They Yamaha gear just sounds good live and the Yamaha DP AP's sounds always hold up well in a mix. . .but I'm still digging my PX5-s/Nord E5D61 combo rig a lot these days MIDIing the Nord Piano's/EP's/Clav to the Casio action!

Edited by Legatoboy (04/25/17 01:35 PM)

#2851777 - 04/25/17 12:57 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: timwat]
Bucktunes Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Quincy, Illinois,UNITED STATES
Yamaha just created an iOS FM app and locked it into the MX for the audio.
The thing is, I'm starting to look at the MX as a soft of side-ways competitor for the Electro.

I see it more as a "poor man's" Montage. laugh But for many musical situations it's all the Montage you'd need. Bread & butter ROMpler sounds, plus a bonus real (although limited) FM synth if you already have an iPad.

I'm seriously warming up to the idea of getting one of these and letting it live at church, instead of hauling my PC3x in and out twice a week. I've gotten to where I use the PC3x about 95% as a DP driving my Motif XF7, and depending on the Motif for non-piano sounds. For less than a grand I wouldn't mind having a redundant keyboard that I wouldn't have to schlep. Then just bring in my iPad Pro and let that be my Mass rig. Hopefully I can be using the iPad as a sound module while reading charts in ForScore. cool

#2851785 - 04/25/17 01:39 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: dsetto]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: dsetto
It's my loose understanding that MX series has AWM2 sound engine that's in Motif series. Difference is, for full editing, software editor is required. Stock and permanent waveforms are what they are.

However, the MX only has a subset of the waveforms that were in the Motif XS and MOX. 166 mb vs 355 mb. Also, only one insert effect per voice (program) instead of two.

#2851786 - 04/25/17 01:50 PM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
10k Club

The thing is, I'm starting to look at the MX as a soft of side-ways competitor for the Electro. yes, differences abound - but for what I'd use it for - a schlep-able bread and butter board - it's a half-the-cost option to a Nord.

Yup, entirely different, but both arguably usable as a basic B&B board. Nord has better sounding piano (but Yamaha isn't bad), obviously much better for organ, and has the ability to load custom samples. But you can get through most typical gigs with either one.

Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
I thought about it as a replacement for my Casio Px5-s, just played the MX-88 at GC for lunch break it plays/sounds very good but it looks like the MX-88 will only split into 2 zones.. I need more than 2 with the 80's band in my bottom board...I find I have a few 3/4 way splits and some w/overlaps.

You can probably program in your 3/4 way splits offline with the free performance editor at http://vycromx.com which I assume will workon the 88 as well, if not right away, than with an update...

I'd also would loose the Hex-Layer synth sounds on the PX5-s which as someone mentioned are actually pretty good. I would gain an Exp. Pedal though!...The action, well I think the PX5-s is really hard to beat.

Yeah, each has a bunch of features the other lacks. The PX5S obviously is also smaller/lighter, runs on batteries, and is much better as a MIDI controller (despite the expression pedal deficit). Yamaha offers simpler operation and I think generally sounds better. And for synth sounds, it has a mono mode.

#2852229 - 04/27/17 10:30 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: AnotherScott]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)

AnotherScott:
You can probably program in your 3/4 way splits offline with the free performance editor at http://vycromx.com which I assume will workon the 88 as well, if not right away, than with an update...

I'd also would loose the Hex-Layer synth sounds on the PX5-s which as someone mentioned are actually pretty good. I would gain an Exp. Pedal though!...The action, well I think the PX5-s is really hard to beat.

AnotherScott:
Yeah, each has a bunch of features the other lacks. The PX5S obviously is also smaller/lighter, runs on batteries, and is much better as a MIDI controller (despite the expression pedal deficit). Yamaha offers simpler operation and I think generally sounds better. And for synth sounds, it has a mono mode.[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------
For some reason I still have Gas for the MX88.. Can't
really justify it though.....just another day with more GAS!

Edited by Legatoboy (04/27/17 11:12 AM)

#2853731 - 05/05/17 09:35 AM Re: Yamaha MX88-BK [Re: The_Star_Guy]
RockStar1950 Offline

April 12, 2017 Ha ha! Guess I should have taken photos! My (local) GC had two, one on display which I played for 20 minutes, and one still in a sealed box. Since it had a marketing display label highlighting the fact that it supported FM Essentials (which is also a new app) it is definitely a new product. Do a Google search for MX88-BK, and you will find that Yamaha applied for & registered the FCC MSIP ID for the name on 1/26/2017 of this year. It was not my imagination, as I was actually in the market for a Digital Piano for my gig setup. I also played the new RD-2000 again (2nd time) as well. Yamaha MX88-BK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner