Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2846533 - 04/02/17 08:37 PM An industry trailblazer has passed.
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2846534 - 04/02/17 08:43 PM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
RIP Ikutaro Kakehashi...You built a great company with great products. I still have fond memories of my Roland Juno 60. I use my Roland Cube Street EX4 amp just about every day! Condolences to your friends and family...

#2846571 - 04/03/17 04:33 AM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I have no personal experience with any of Roland's products, but only know I've seen that stuff EVEYWHERE for a long long time.

The man certainly WAS an important figure in music, and so his passing is definitely sad news.

RIP sir, your legacy is surely noted.
Whitefang

#2846574 - 04/03/17 05:29 AM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
My deepest respects. His work has been a huge part of my sound, for many, many years. Rest In Peace, sir, and many thanks.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2846599 - 04/03/17 07:36 AM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: Winston Psmith]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
RIP. The Cube is a nice little amp.

#2846636 - 04/03/17 09:12 AM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: DocPate]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't know if anyone noticed, but deeper into the obituary, they pointed out:

Quote:
Kakehashi also started another successful music company, Boss, which focused on effects pedals for guitars and bass.

IOW, products from at least 1 of his 2 companies has likely been in every electric guitarists rig at one point of another. That is a long shadow to cast.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (04/03/17 09:13 AM)

#2846645 - 04/03/17 09:53 AM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 Boss is another great company...quite a legacy.

#2846678 - 04/03/17 12:56 PM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
I don't know if anyone noticed, but deeper into the obituary, they pointed out:

Quote:
Kakehashi also started another successful music company, Boss, which focused on effects pedals for guitars and bass.

IOW, products from at least 1 of his 2 companies has likely been in every electric guitarists rig at one point of another. That is a long shadow to cast.

Indeed it is. Hats-off to him.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2846733 - 04/03/17 05:15 PM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
BOSS?

I have their TU-12H chromatic tuner. One of the best investments I ever made.

The name "Roland" on the box is in such small print I didn't notice.
Whitefang

#2846877 - 04/04/17 11:19 AM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
My live rig has been Boss/Roland products, for years now. Boss Guitar Processor, Roland Guitar Synth, Boss Looper, all into a Roland amp. For recording, my HDR is a Roland VS-890. This man's spirit looms large over my workspace, and he will always be welcome here.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2846940 - 04/04/17 03:45 PM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: Winston Psmith]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I had tons of Roland gear in my analog tape studio back in the mid to late 80's, many thousands of dollars worth of it. I also had many a stomp box from Boss. I also had Roland Guitar To MIDI gear back then, hooked to 4 Roland items; 2 D 550's (The first Roland Digital Synth in a rack form), a MKS 70 which was the Super JX 10 analog synth in a rack unit, and a MKS 20 Digital Piano rig in a 2 rack space unit. I could do the lushest strings with the MKS 70 that I have ever heard to this day. It was one smokin rig triggered by a Roland Gm 70 Guitar to MIDI. I had the pickup on a Philip Petillo custom made guitar with the MIDI pup set as close to the Tuneomatic bridge as possible. So it tracked like a bear following a female bear in heat.

Oh and by the way RIP
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2847194 - 04/05/17 02:40 PM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
It's good of you to remind us that many times the tools we use wouldn't exist if not for ppl who we may never've heard of or know abt.

I have, though, begun lately to wonder at the point of RIP threads at a site like this.

Yes it does communicate the news but none of those intended to be honored, nor their family/community are made aware of the honors we may intend to extend.
I'll be looking for the sites where I might let those ppl know how I feel.

#2847555 - 04/07/17 06:28 AM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Oh MAN-well count me as another longtime user-the venerable ME-33 is still part of my sound. I think the first time I plugged into a JC amp was in Taipei. The sound was instantly unlike other amps.
RIP Kakehashi-san. Guitar players rock, but you made us SOUND like we rock.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2847578 - 04/07/17 07:52 AM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: skipclone 1]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
The posting is a great service to those of us who are not linked in to all of the news or too busy to look for it. It also lets us appreciate some people that we did not realize have contributed to the music we enjoy and we learn many things from comments others post here. Please continue to post RIP threads. Jim

#2847643 - 04/07/17 11:24 AM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: jimmac]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There doesn't seem to be a site devoted to him personally or one related to family or even corporate tribute.
[Of course I didn't look on FBook rolleyes but a google search pulled nothing beyond media obits].

#2847645 - 04/07/17 11:28 AM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: d]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 Jimmac... cool

#2847689 - 04/07/17 01:04 PM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: d]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
It's good of you to remind us that many times the tools we use wouldn't exist if not for ppl who we may never've heard of or know abt.

I have, though, begun lately to wonder at the point of RIP threads at a site like this.

Yes it does communicate the news but none of those intended to be honored, nor their family/community are made aware of the honors we may intend to extend.
I'll be looking for the sites where I might let those ppl know how I feel.

IMHO, notification of people like us is the point, because otherwise, people like you might not be able to seek ways to express your condolences to their loved ones...if such means even exist.

#2847693 - 04/07/17 01:19 PM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes, don't misunderstand me. That's not a criticism.
However, it doesn't let the ppl who knew or worked with him know how much we may appreciate him (& others like him).

#2847758 - 04/07/17 05:34 PM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: d]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

But it did let you try.

If his friends & family want to keep a low profile, so be it.

#2847912 - 04/08/17 09:32 AM Re: An industry trailblazer has passed. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Japanese culture does have a premium on privacy.
& you do deserve credit for even noticing his passing.
wave

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose