Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2884543 - 10/11/17 09:32 PM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: CorpseGrinder88]
Jazzmammal Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Good stuff Bobby. This takes me back to something I hadn't thought about for years. Around 1980 or so I was living in Calgary, Alberta and was a 6 night a week full time player and all I played then was my B3. I happened to be in a big music store in a mall checking out a new very large console Technics organ with a 20K price tag on it. There were two of them sitting side by side and me and one of the salesmen who was a good player started jamming. We finally got shut down by mall security because we had a pretty big crowd filling up the store and spilling out into the mall and we were loud. I think those big consoles had 300W built in speaker systems, no Leslies.

Afterwards this lady named Irene came up to me and said she was the organist for the Calgary Flames hockey team and was looking for a replacement for herself. I went over to her house a couple of days later and she showed me some stuff that she played which I picked up ok. The problem was the schedule for me. Afternoon games, evening games, different days of the week, last minute schedule changes, didn't know if they would make the playoffs or not, etc. Of course this would be on a contract so I would be locked in. I just couldn't handle it with everything else I had going on but it sure sounded like fun. I was so tempted, I really had to think about it but in the end, no.

Bob

KC Island
#2884567 - 10/12/17 04:22 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Jazzmammal]
Bobadeath Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
That's an awesome story Jazzmammal, from the impromptu mall organ concert to the near miss with the Calgary Flames job.

Times have sure changed.

#2884631 - 10/12/17 10:00 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Bobadeath]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Sounds like the Beethoven mall scene from Bill & Ted. rawk

#2884695 - 10/12/17 07:07 PM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: MAJUSCULE]
waygetter Offline

Loc: Sausalito, CA
This is an awesome gig!

Wouldn't it be cool to just play anything you wanted? I know that's not reality, but it would be pretty fun! :-)

You could riff on some Metallica and these Oakland A's fans would love it!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner