Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2846354 - 04/01/17 08:40 PM Gig Question for Bobadohshe
CorpseGrinder88 Offline

Loc: USA
Bobby,

That must be such an incredible gig you have as organist for the Padres!

I can think of many unique aspects, and was wondering if you might answer a few questions that come to mind -- the topic is certainly fascinating to me, and might also be of interest to the rest of the forum?

1. How did you get the gig in the first place?

2. What are the ground rules for the job (pardon the pun. smile )

3. Walk up music:
a) I assume all of the Padres players are pre-established? What about new guys that show up on the same day you perform?
b) Visitors: who decides? Can you get creative and do your own thing that might make light of them in some way?

4. Between innings: Is everything pre-planned or can you play what you want that might fit a unique situation at hand (e.g. say rain in San Diego)?

5. How much leeway overall to you have to do your own thing or ad-lib? This type of gig would seem to have endless possibilities for you to create funny and entertaining musical reactions to players and situations. Are you able to do any of this, of is it constrained, being such a public event?

6. This type of gig must be such a gas, given that the main purpose is to get a reaction from 30,000+ captive listeners to whatever you play (Or I could be wrong?). What is general perspective on this?

Thanks in advance!!

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

KC Island
#2846365 - 04/01/17 10:25 PM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: CorpseGrinder88]
Bobadeath Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Whoa a direct address in a thread title!! That's a first for me.

It's 10:21 PM on a Saturday, I have a church gig in the AM, and I'm supposed to be hanging out with my wife not in my studio on the KC! So I'll defer my response to maybe tomorrow when I'll be able to dig in and answer all these questions.

It's a rad gig to be sure and I have a lot of fun with it.

#2884064 - 10/09/17 09:13 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: CorpseGrinder88]
Bobadeath Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CorpseGrinder88
Bobby,

That must be such an incredible gig you have as organist for the Padres!

I can think of many unique aspects, and was wondering if you might answer a few questions that come to mind -- the topic is certainly fascinating to me, and might also be of interest to the rest of the forum?

Sixth months later here are some answers.

Quote:
1. How did you get the gig in the first place?

A combination of luck and hustle. Short version: I heard they were looking for an organ player for the first time in years through a bass player friend. I knew that was the gig I had to have. I then got lucky with a chance encounter with the CEO and was able to give him my card. He gave the card to some woman standing close by and she said 'Give this to James about the organ player position'. I heard that name 'James' and I then hustled my ass off looking for the right 'James' in the directory for the team and then leaving him voicemail after voicemail and making a demo CD and sending it. I finally got a call back shortly before the start of the season and got an audition.

Quote:
2. What are the ground rules for the job (pardon the pun. smile )

I presume you mean 'What can I and can't I do?' in a strict sense of what the MLB rules are. You can't play when gameplay is happening ie once the batter steps into the box. As soon as he fouls a ball out of play you can play. Between innings you can play. SOMETIMES they will hit a foul and you'll think it's foul and start playing but then it ends up being caught. That's not good or legal. And I've done it once or twice. Nothing really happens that I know about except some grumbling from the control room (understandable). (Maybe the team gets fined? or could be fined? I don't hear about it).

Quote:
3. Walk up music:
a) I assume all of the Padres players are pre-established? What about new guys that show up on the same day you perform?
b) Visitors: who decides? Can you get creative and do your own thing that might make light of them in some way?

Players pick their own walk up music. The DJ plays em. When new guys show up on the day they perform the control booth guys do their best to figure out what walk up music he wants. Sometimes they can't get an answer. In that situation, sometimes the DJ will just play whatever. A couple years ago I would be the one to play some walk up music for the new player.
For visitors each stadium does it differently. Many just don't have any walk up music for the visitors including Petco Park. For some, the stadium organist plays something. In Atlanta, the organist Matthew Kaminski makes a big deal out of choosing walk up songs for the visiting players that are some kind of pun/riff on their names.

Quote:
4. Between innings: Is everything pre-planned or can you play what you want that might fit a unique situation at hand (e.g. say rain in San Diego)?

Everything is very much scripted for what goes down when in the game. Between Scoreboard operators, cameramen, people coordinating whatever shenanigans go down between innings, replay guys, PA guy, DJ, me, you have a team of about 30 people that need to work together like clockwork. We're all on headset. In terms of organ music and when I play, every team does it differently. The Cubs for instance use tons and tons of organ, up until a couple years ago on every break. With us, there are a couple inning breaks where I know I'll play. 'Okay Bobby today you take the bottom of the 2nd, the middle of the 5th, the 7th inning stretch.' - - whatever. And that can change on the fly. 'Alright we were gonna do this special segment on this player during the bottom of the 4th but the video hasn't rendered yet, we'll do kiss cam instead'. That type of thing.

Part of your question seems to be 'how much liberty do I have to pick the tunes I play'. The answer is 90%. I can play pretty much anything but I should pick something good and appropriate. Also not repeat something a ton in a short period of time. If it's rainy I for sure might play 'Raindrops keep fallin on my head, A Foggy Day' or be ironic with 'On a Clear Day' and 'Blue Skies'.

Quote:
5. How much leeway overall to you have to do your own thing or ad-lib? This type of gig would seem to have endless possibilities for you to create funny and entertaining musical reactions to players and situations. Are you able to do any of this, of is it constrained, being such a public event?

It ends up being a little more constrained which is kind of too bad but it's the nature of the beast. There's still ways to get fun with it. I can't bust the schedule open and start playing in the middle of an inning break if I decide it would be awesome, because they probably have something planned. But if there's a fight that breaks out I could in theory play 'Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting' or 'Why Can't We Be Friends' if the DJ isn't playing something. Some stuff is also too controversial which is too bad. We were playing the Red Sox last year and they always do 'Sweet Caroline'. I wanted to start playing a couple bars of SC and then Rick Roll the audience going into 'Never Gonna Give You Up' but the management at the time deemed it wouldn't be the best idea. It seems harmless but we were coming off a bad PR thing that had happened just a couple days before and they didn't want to rock the boat. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Quote:
6. This type of gig must be such a gas, given that the main purpose is to get a reaction from 30,000+ captive listeners to whatever you play (Or I could be wrong?). What is general perspective on this?

Yes it's flippin awesome. But also realize that it's hard to gauge if people are loving what you are throwing down because it's not a rock concert. Sometimes you'll play a song you thought was perfect only to realize nobody gave a @$%^. Alternatively though you'll play something and then see a ton of tweets and messages saying 'OMG the Petco Organist just played the Theme from Angry Birds and we're playing the Cardinals what genius!'. Either way though even playing a simple charge or 'Let's Go Padres' and eliciting 40,000 claps/responses is a pretty bad ass feeling. And it helps I've been cheering for this team my whole life and would be watching anyway. And there has been the cool side benefit of this being a great resume/marquee kind of gig. Sometimes when you are introduced to someone as a musician, even if you make good $ and are great at what you do, there's this kind of blasť reaction because nincompoops don't know how to react. 'Oh, you're a piano player. Lovely'. People will now introduce me as 'The guy that plays organ for the Padres' and it's totally different in peoples minds. Even if I make more $ doing other gigs, even if I play way more challenging / artistically fulfilling gigs, that's the one everyone latches on to. Fine with me! And I've gotten to meet other stadium organists and we have a secret society so that's cool. And I've gotten to have a circle that's outside the musician's circle- a circle of sports fans in SD. It's nice when all your friends aren't just musicians.

#2884065 - 10/09/17 09:23 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Bobadeath]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
What a fabulous response - thanks for that insight Bobby. What about when someone runs (or streaks) across the field? Is that strictly frowned upon or do you get to have some fun with it - assuming you're not the streaker grin

#2884068 - 10/09/17 09:27 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: DarkyLord]
count doerflera Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
yeah, great post, Bobby.
Better late than never, right? cheers

#2884074 - 10/09/17 09:39 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: count doerflera]
Nadread Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Thought the Padres were a band. Read through this post thinking "...What???" As a Scot, baseball, let alone baseball organ playing is somewhat of a foreign concept. Just spent half an hour reading about baseball organists. So interesting! Any videos of you in action Bobby?

Edited by Nadroj (10/09/17 09:39 AM)

#2884076 - 10/09/17 09:50 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Nadread]
Bobadeath Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Nadroj
Thought the Padres were a band. Read through this post thinking "...What???" As a Scot, baseball, let alone baseball organ playing is somewhat of a foreign concept. Just spent half an hour reading about baseball organists. So interesting! Any videos of you in action Bobby?

My old neighbors in Cramond will very occasionally Facebook message me when I'm playing because my game will be on Sky Sports or something. I love that.

#2884077 - 10/09/17 09:53 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Nadread]
Bobadeath Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Any videos of you in action Bobby?

Last year at the All Star Game. Dig that I play approx 3 pedal clams per minute on average:

#2884079 - 10/09/17 09:55 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: DarkyLord]
Bobadeath Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: DarkyLord
What a fabulous response - thanks for that insight Bobby. What about when someone runs (or streaks) across the field? Is that strictly frowned upon or do you get to have some fun with it - assuming you're not the streaker grin

The prevailing sentiment in baseball is to always give zero response to people who do that so as not to encourage it.

#2884080 - 10/09/17 09:56 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Bobadeath]
FJR Offline

Loc: SF Bay

Cool post!! I love anything 'behind the scenes'! Thanks!!

#2884082 - 10/09/17 10:13 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Nadread]
MaskOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California

I found this one too:

Bobby C, Padres Organist

#2884084 - 10/09/17 10:19 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: MaskOfInsects]
Nadread Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: MaskOfInsects

I found this one too:

Bobby C, Padres Organist

...F%#k.

#2884085 - 10/09/17 10:20 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: MaskOfInsects]
BurningPianoMan Offline
Gold Member

Loc: SE NC marsh
Another KC Masterclass!

Or is that a barbecue sauce?

#2884086 - 10/09/17 10:23 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: MaskOfInsects]
Bobadeath Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: MaskOfInsects

I found this one too:

Bobby C, Padres Organist

laugh

#2884087 - 10/09/17 10:27 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Bobadeath]
Nadread Offline
Gold Member

Found a few videos B. Great stuff

#2884088 - 10/09/17 10:31 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Bobadeath]
CorpseGrinder88 Offline

Awesome, Bobby!! Thanks for that!!

Hammond SK1-73

#2884092 - 10/09/17 11:30 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: CorpseGrinder88]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Was the delay of the crowd singing along something that you had to learn to tune out when you first got the gig? Seems like you would sort of have to ignore what you're hearing and just stick to your internal clock.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2884115 - 10/09/17 02:33 PM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: J. Dan]
OB Grave Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Diego CA, US
Thanks for posting this, Bobby! It's great to have insight into the gig and it sounds like so much fun.

In your list of do's and don'ts, you forgot to mention the one song no baseball organist is ever allowed to play. laugh

#2884155 - 10/09/17 08:20 PM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: OB Grave]
Cower, Boy! NQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Bobby I have to say I really enjoyed this thread and reading your responses. As a big sports fan (although not a baseball expert by any means) I had a lot of fun watching your YouTube clips too.

Thanks for sharing with us.

#2884161 - 10/09/17 10:58 PM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Cower, Boy! NQ]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Same here, thanks Bobby. Super interesting thread, always nice to hear more about that gig.

The Oilers organ position was up this year. I know several people who applied, but I couldn't. They book for all 41 home games and there is absolutely no subbing out. Pay isn't what it needs to be for that kind of commitment. That being said, I would love to do it someday.

Oh, and MOI... You're outta here!!! cop

#2884182 - 10/10/17 06:23 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: MAJUSCULE]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Fascinating, thanks Bobby! Baseball isn't played over here and the major sports (football soccer and rugby) don't have enough breaks for music except at half time so sport having musical accompaniment is completely alien - but lovely!

#2884184 - 10/10/17 06:32 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: MorayM]
Dr88s Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Great thread! Thanks to the OP for asking and to Bobby for answering in detail!

#2884320 - 10/10/17 06:03 PM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: MorayM]
Cower, Boy! NQ Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: MorayM
Fascinating, thanks Bobby! Baseball isn't played over here and the major sports (football soccer and rugby) don't have enough breaks for music except at half time so sport having musical accompaniment is completely alien - but lovely!

Wait until cricket makes it to your part of the world. Lots of musical breaks in the 20/20 format of that game, but (sadly) no live organists. That would be cool!

#2884364 - 10/11/17 05:19 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Cower, Boy! NQ]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Originally Posted By: Cower, Boy! NQ

Wait until cricket makes it to your part of the world. Lots of musical breaks in the 20/20 format of that game, but (sadly) no live organists. That would be cool!

Cricket isn't really a sport though, more an excuse to spend the day in the sun getting quietly sloshed on Pimm's wink cheers bor

#2884390 - 10/11/17 07:56 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: MorayM]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
What a sweet gig!

Have you ever played the fight music from Star Trek during a fight? That would be amazing. Or "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow" from Annie during a rain-out?

As for streakers, I know you're not supposed to encourage them, but if you ever can't help yourself...may I suggest "Sweet Transvestite" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Oh, yes, and walk on music......the next time a visitor steps up to the plate after being hit by a wild pitch, how about "Hit Me With Your Best Shot?" Okay, I'm kidding on that one.

Have you ever played, "So Long, Farewell" from the Sound of Music after a third strike? How about "Home Sweet Home" by Motley Crue after a stolen home plate?

Edited by WesG (10/11/17 07:57 AM)
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2884408 - 10/11/17 09:21 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: WesG]
Bobadeath Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

All good suggestions. Unfortunately for our particular gig, I don't as much incidental playing like that - the DJ does. Other places have different balances.

#2884409 - 10/11/17 09:31 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Bobadeath Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
The Oilers organ position was up this year. I know several people who applied, but I couldn't. They book for all 41 home games and there is absolutely no subbing out. Pay isn't what it needs to be for that kind of commitment.

This is why my situation is so perfect. We only have organ for the DAY games. That means Sundays and SOME games during the week. It amounts to between 20 and 30 games a year, more like 20. (up until 2016 I didn't do Sundays either). For the majority of the games it's just a DJ. He has some pre recorded organ prompts. We kind of make it so that when the organ is there, it's just a day game thing and a little more of a special occasion. I'm also set up outside in the bleachers so people can come hang with me. (Section 311 in case anyone wants to come visit).

The secret that I don't want anyone piecing together is that if I had to do all 81 home games, I wouldn't be able to because I'm too busy with other stuff! So far the balance has been perfect and just the right amount.

#2884410 - 10/11/17 09:36 AM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Bobadeath]
MaskOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
It's a cool gig and all props to you for the proactive way you got it. It's actually a bit of a hustle master-class for others in how to make an opportunity happen if they want it.

I particularly like the "James" part. In my alternate-universe version, some groundskeeper gets a recording of organ tunes out of the blue and thinks it's a message from a serial killer telling him he's next.

#2884489 - 10/11/17 03:03 PM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: MorayM]
Cower, Boy! NQ Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Cower, Boy! NQ

Cricket isn't really a sport though, more an excuse to spend the day in the sun getting quietly sloshed on Pimm's wink cheers bor

True that.

#2884514 - 10/11/17 06:36 PM Re: Gig Question for Bobadohshe [Re: Bobadeath]
CorpseGrinder88 Offline

Originally Posted By: Bobadeath

This is why my situation is so perfect. We only have organ for the DAY games. That means Sundays and SOME games during the week. It amounts to between 20 and 30 games a year, more like 20. (up until 2016 I didn't do Sundays either). For the majority of the games it's just a DJ. He has some pre recorded organ prompts. We kind of make it so that when the organ is there, it's just a day game thing and a little more of a special occasion. I'm also set up outside in the bleachers so people can come hang with me. (Section 311 in case anyone wants to come visit).

The secret that I don't want anyone piecing together is that if I had to do all 81 home games, I wouldn't be able to because I'm too busy with other stuff! So far the balance has been perfect and just the right amount.

That's one of the interesting differences between approaches from the various ownerships.

Just from my experience as a Giants fan from the last 10 years and as a lifelong Cubs fan...

Padres prioritize the DJ. Organ is one fourth of the home games (day only).

Giants have him play at all of the home games.

Cubs, ditto, and have the organist play and play and play and play and play and play. It's like a continuous concert.

Hammond SK1-73

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner