Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2846011 - 03/31/17 09:29 AM Looking for sheet music
Steve C. Offline

Loc: NY, USA
Good afternoon,
This is admittedly a cross post from the guitar forum, hoping to attract a different audience. My group is hoping to perform "Ain't Messin' 'Round" by Gary Clark Jr. We have a horn section (trumpet, trombone, sax) and feel we could do a great cover of this song. I've seen plenty of youtube vids of other bands covering this. Problem is we can't get a line on a single page of sheet music for ANY instrument. Our guitarists and keyboardist can play fairly well by ear but the horn guys need a little sheet music support. I know I'm speaking to mostly bass players on this forum but there's an outside chance one of you has performed this number and solved this problem. I've searched many horn chart and sheet music websites without success. Any help is appreciated.
Best regards,
Steve C.

Edited by Steve C. (03/31/17 09:35 AM)
Edit Reason: Change guitarists to bass players

BP Island
#2846057 - 03/31/17 11:31 AM Re: Looking for sheet music [Re: Steve C.]
SteveC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Grand Forks, North Dakota
Is there another SteveC here?

#2846061 - 03/31/17 12:01 PM Re: Looking for sheet music [Re: SteveC]
Steve C. Offline

smile I wouldn't be surprised if there's more than a few. But I'm the newbie spelled "Steve" <space> "C.", because I like to type?

#2846138 - 03/31/17 06:23 PM Re: Looking for sheet music [Re: Steve C.]
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
I know someone who could write out the horn parts for you. I don't know what he would charge.

#2846327 - 04/01/17 06:32 PM Re: Looking for sheet music [Re: jeremy c]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Alternatives are to find a midi chart of the song and then print out the various parts, and transpose to the needed key for various horns. You can do the same thing with Band-in-a-Box, but the harmonies might not be the original.

#2846627 - 04/03/17 08:58 AM Re: Looking for sheet music [Re: Paul K]
Steve C. Offline

Many thanks to all of you for your great suggestions. I have never transcribed anything but it would be an interesting effort. Probably take me a couple months to get up to speed and learn the ropes. But our gig is in two months so that's out of the question.
As far as paying someone to do the work, yes, coin is available. But we can pay people we already know to do this. My effort and hope on these forums was to find someone who's already done the work, or found the sheet music and would be willing to point me at it or give/ sell it to me.
It's all our fault that we're in a scheduling jam but the band is really unwilling to give up on this number. So the hunt continues.
At the risk of repeating myself, I have seen cover bands perform this tune on various youtube spots and the horn sections were using sheet music. Which means it's out there. Either someone found it or did the work. I was hoping to get a line on that and make a deal.
Best regards,
(the other) Steve C.

#2848503 - 04/11/17 07:43 AM Re: Looking for sheet music [Re: Steve C.]
Nicklab Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Jersey
Knowing some horn players in the NY/NJ area I'm a little surprised to hear that these guys aren't up to writing their own charts. A lot of the horn players in New York that I've played with are able to come up with an arrangement with basic information like the key and chords.

I know the tune you're talking about. It's not that complicated. Maybe you should exert some polite pressure on these guys to write their own charts? Especially if you've got a good personal rapport with them and you want to stick with them.