Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Viscount Legend Live demo

Something about girl drummers that keep the pocket so tight that I do enjoy! Wonderful nuanced playing.

Hee hee! Oops, getting off topic though.

I have the original Numa organ which I do like. I'm using a Kurzweil SP76 for lower board. It works. But I am longing for more drawbars and the improvements these Viscount organs bring in one unit.

Can't wait to try one out in the states. Any places or anyone in the Northeast Tristate getting one? Don't know if you can actually get your hands on it to try out before purchasing easily.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gig and gear report:

Pat Bianchi Trio at Felice 83

1593 1st Ave, NY, NY

Pat Bianchi- Key B Legend Organ, Bass Pedals, (2) Sonovox Amplifiers

Scott Kreitzer-Tenor

Jonathon Peretz-Canopus Drums, Cymbals

Pat Bianchi is the real, monstrous, righteous deal.

His left hand is an absolutely, completely seperate entity from his Right hand and feet. A living, breathing, swinging bass player lives there.

His linear playing and rhythmic sense is on another level of any "Jazz" Organist currently active and yes, that includes Joey D. (But excludes Dr. Lonnie, who is a law unto himself.)

His comping is breathing and swinging, like Freddie Green or Wes.

His timbral sensitivity is outstanding and his use of the swell pedal makes it truly deserving of its "expression" moniker.

His bandmates were excellent and they play together like a real, working band.

Gear:

He used the older Key-B Duo and it sounded AWESOME thru the two little Sonovox amps. Bass for days and I did NOT miss a Leslie, that's how good the rotary sim is, and he says the new one has been improved.

(I am seriously going to have to consider the Legend as well as the MAG/Diversi)

He was super cool and generous with his time and I'm going to email him in a couple of weeks (after he has recieved delivery of his Legend.

Thanks, Pat.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Agree!

More info about the amps:

The amps were Duo Vox. I believe they were made by Bell Duovox, an accordion manufacturer, in New Jersey during the 70's. Not sure the exact model but they looked like Super Tini-Titans: https://reverb.com/item/34799-duovox-super-tini-titan-85-ti-g-amplifier-1970-s-price-drop

There were two of them, stacked on top of each other and located right behind him.

They were connected to the KeyB Live in stereo, via the left and right outputs, no subwoofer.

I agree with you: amazing LH and pedal bass! It sounded like there was a Leslie in the room. I'm leaning towards getting a pair of speakers equivalent to those Duo Voxes. I think are about 85watts and weigh only about 23 lbs each. Pat said he got them for about 140 dollars each!

Do you recall any of the tunes they played? I remember hearing:

Nica's Dream

That's All

Without A Song

and I think:

Ceora

A Foggy Day (In London Town)

and maybe:

Always

St. Thomas

Yes, JohnnyB3, those are correct, and they also did "All of You"!

and thanks for the amp info

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Is there any info on this single manual Key B besides just the photo?

I do like the the fact that all adjustment knobs are on top, not on the side.

That was one of the plus factors on the Numa 1... the bass knob was on the right side. What that did was act sort of like a set of drawbars on the lower manual setting. All I do on a console is adjust the first and third DB for the lower manual anyway.... but it was nice to have bass adjustment and still play bass with the left hand.

This thing looks tempting. I woulld love to have single/ dual manual options. So this might be the ticket.

• 1 month later...
Is there any info on this single manual Key B besides just the photo?

I do like the the fact that all adjustment knobs are on top, not on the side.

That was one of the plus factors on the Numa 1... the bass knob was on the right side. What that did was act sort of like a set of drawbars on the lower manual setting. All I do on a console is adjust the first and third DB for the lower manual anyway.... but it was nice to have bass adjustment and still play bass with the left hand.

This thing looks tempting. I woulld love to have single/ dual manual options. So this might be the ticket.

Nothing here:

http://www.viscountinstruments.com/vintage.html

What's the source of the photo? Fan art? Photoshop alteration?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I heard Pat Bianchi with the new Legend Live last night at Felice 83 with Scott Kreitzer on Tenor and Jonathon Peretz ob Drums.

3 words:

Get

this

Organ!!!!

Pat used the Duovox amps in stereo and the Bass was INSANE! No shrill top octave, Beautiful, rich and full through the complete range. I picked up the side of the organ and its as light as the X3-2!!!! Leslie sim and C/V are spot on! Percussion has that ping!

There's a new king of the hill in the Clone Wars!

Needless to say, Pat, Scott and Jonathon KILLED IT!!!!

Robert Bosch, 1919

• 1 month later...
For what it's worth, I just switched from the Crumar Mojo to the Legend Live, and I am VERY happy I did. The Mojo had a lot of bugs and quirks, almost like it was a firmware always in beta. The Legend has been rock solid, AND it sounds better. In fact, I can't imagine an organ clone ever topping it - it's 100% there IMHO. And it has the full console layout, too - 4 sets of drawbars instead of 2. For me, that makes a HUGE difference in how I play it and the range of sonic choices at my disposal. Replacing that second drawbar set with fixed presets just isn't the same as having 2 live, dynamic drawbar sets to work with. So I would cast my vote 100% for the Legend Live is organ is your top priority. It functions well enough as a MIDI controller that you should be able to work with it (and the velocity sensitivity when controlling Rhodes or piano patches is better on the Legend than it was on the Mojo, too).

• 4 weeks later...
I've just posted this comment on another thread but I just received the Legend Solo from Music Store in Germany. They have them in stock. Great sound and features. Looks good and build quality is great as well. Analogue input is really useful - my Wurly sounds great through it with a little drive and you can also add some spin to it if you want - very 60s. Effects loop is useful as there is no delay or wah. My Wah ( Wahoo ) pedal interfaces nicely. The organ and interface is a step up from my Nord. Impressed!

I just noticed that B-3 Guys in Nashville are taking orders for the Legend Solo.

The price is $1395

It's slightly higher than the Mojo, but I would think well worth it.

I played the Legend at a shop in Eugene Oregon about a month ago and loved it. To me the keybed felt different than the Mojo, and the organ sounded just wonderful.

I liked the concept of dedicated controls for most everything you would want to control. I hated that business on the Mojo about doing everything via wifi... I like to adjust things like percussion volume and on the Legend dual manual I played you could do everything right there... no hassles.

Plus this leslie sim needs no adjustments. No " cabinet " simulation or any other such BS.

Also - the bass response from the Legend was radically different than the Mojo. In a good way.

... Legend Solo.

I liked the concept of dedicated controls for most everything you would want to control. I hated that business on the Mojo about doing everything via wifi... I like to adjust things like percussion volume and on the Legend dual manual I played you could do everything right there... no hassles.

Plus this leslie sim needs no adjustments. No " cabinet " simulation or any other such BS.

:D

Well, I can only agree,- even I didn´t play a Legend up to now.

The Legend Solo is very high on my list, even I guess it will offer 4 preset memory locations only like the Legend LIVE does (up to now).

I really wonder where it comes from.

Saving drawbar setings into preset memory should not create lots of data and today, memory is dead-on cheap.

At least 10-16 presets per manual should be possible.

Using WiFi for editing digital musical instruments is absolutely not what I want,- I don´t even use a up to date smartphone, tablet or laptop and I´d hate being forced to buy and use one.

A.C.

How many presets does it have?

The Solo has two presets for each manual.

While it's a good thing that many controls are directly accessible, the downside is that there's no (easy) way of changing anything that doesn't have a dedicated knob or button. There are already hidden (but documented) features available by holding transpose/select and pressing a key -- just like on the old KeyB.

How many presets does it have?

The Solo has two presets for each manual.

While it's a good thing that many controls are directly accessible, the downside is that there's no (easy) way of changing anything that doesn't have a dedicated knob or button. There are already hidden (but documented) features available by holding transpose/select and pressing a key -- just like on the old KeyB.

There are actually 4 presets for each manual :cool: There are only a couple of 'hidden' parameters that you might want to change on the fly. There are 3 organ models, for example, and it's a doddle to change them - just hold Transpose Select and press F5, G5 or A5 - those keys are directly under Transpose Select. A5 is the A100 model which is the one I use.

Also - the bass response from the Legend was radically different than the Mojo. In a good way.

Tell me more. I hope someone does a Mojo/Legend comparison at some point, with particular focus on jazz LHB and comping. Comparisons with a real console don't help me much as I don't have one and even if I did, I'd be unlikely to be carrying it around to gigs.

Legend Live, Leslie 251/147, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

I just noticed that B-3 Guys in Nashville are taking orders for the Legend Solo.

The price is $1395

It's slightly higher than the Mojo, but I would think well worth it.

I played the Legend at a shop in Eugene Oregon about a month ago and loved it. To me the keybed felt different than the Mojo, and the organ sounded just wonderful.

The Mojo61 is more expensive in UK/Europe - 1345. The Solo is much cheaper at 1090 - if the pound hadn't weakened so much against the Euro in the last 12 months they would have been less than £900 in the UK!

It is definitely decision and purchase time for me. I have been waffling on this all year and now I need to get my rig ready for various projects.

I am purchasing TWO keyboards to go with my Kurzweil Forte and just need to pull the trigger now on which pair better suits my objectives in my budget range.

Option #1 - Dedicated organ and synth - Viscount Legend Live and a Studiologic Sledge 2.0 Black. (and some iPad apps for extra sounds when needed)

Option #2 - Flexible choices, more features - DMC-122 & Gemini combo and a Roland FA-07

Option #1 is probably more satisfying playing experience across my 3 boards for piano/EP, organ and synth.

Option #2 is a lot more versatile for being able to do a lot more on any one board (more redundancy for sure), tons of Roland sounds for pop gigs, loops and stuff are fun.

I can't really go wrong with either, I have good prices on everything, instruments are all coming in for shipments over the next month and I need to make a buying decision now.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

It is definitely decision and purchase time for me. I have been waffling on this all year and now I need to get my rig ready for various projects.

I am purchasing TWO keyboards to go with my Kurzweil Forte and just need to pull the trigger now on which pair better suits my objectives in my budget range.

Option #1 - Dedicated organ and synth - Viscount Legend Live and a Studiologic Sledge 2.0 Black. (and some iPad apps for extra sounds when needed)

Option #2 - Flexible choices, more features - DMC-122 & Gemini combo and a Roland FA-07

Option #1 is probably more satisfying playing experience across my 3 boards for piano/EP, organ and synth.

Option #2 is a lot more versatile for being able to do a lot more on any one board (more redundancy for sure), tons of Roland sounds for pop gigs, loops and stuff are fun.

I can't really go wrong with either, I have good prices on everything, instruments are all coming in for shipments over the next month and I need to make a buying decision now.

You and I are almost in the same place. Because of switching bands, I'm ready to redo my rig and the two options I'm leaning towards right now are either a DMC-122 + Gemini (or whatever Crumar is teasing on their Facebook page... please announce soon!) or a Legend Live with a sound module or iPad.

I was just looking through the Legend/Legend Live manual and I have a question that hopefully someone with a Legend can answer: The manual states that the external audio input is processed through the Legend's EQ/Drive/Reverb/Rotary... this seems kind of crazy to me. Am I misunderstanding the reason to have this input? Can anyone confirm the manual is correct? Scottzo maybe?

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

I was just looking through the Legend/Legend Live manual and I have a question that hopefully someone with a Legend can answer: The manual states that the external audio input is processed through the Legend's EQ/Drive/Reverb/Rotary... this seems kind of crazy to me. Am I misunderstanding the reason to have this input? Can anyone confirm the manual is correct? Scottzo maybe?

No the manual is correct - the input is for running other instruments through the Leslie simulator - I've tried running a couple of different sounds from my Stage 2 through the Legend Live - and it sounds really cool! :) great for layering a vintage string pad with the lower manual, as an example. Or play the Nords organ through the Leslie sim of the Legend - it sounds way better than the Nord on it's own. :) So the line input is mono, pre effects, so it's not for connecting an iPad with backing tracks or similar.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Yes, that's correct, but it has been requested as a feature change to disable the effects chain on the audio input.

The design was to be able to use the Leslie and Reverb effects of the legend live on other inputs.

My use case would be more to play along with my iPad -- drum tracks, or learning songs through headphones on the board, which I would want to be a clean signal. I think they may be considering that as a future firmware upgrade to disable it.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Yes I can confirm the ANALOG IN is before the effects so you can add drive, reverb, leslie etc. I tried it with my Wurly using the classic drive, with leslie braked. Sounds very warm - really nice OD. The input is mono but does have trim control so I get a good level with the EP200. The effects loop is also really good and that is also applied to the analog in - great with a WAH pedal! It's very well thought out. Although the Gemini is fantastic I found the desktop little noisy for live use (had to run it balanced) and I'm not a fan of wall wart PSU either. But the Live Solo is just an organ whereas the Gemini has superb EPs, Sample Player etc etc. So you can't really compare. We will have to wait and see what GSI/Crumar come up with later in the year - possibly DMC122 crossed with a Mojo crossed with Gemini module crossed with a .....