Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2844878 - 03/27/17 08:13 AM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: Jazzmammal]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: Jazzmammal
The demise of all the independent stores is not due to the internet although that was a factor, it's mainly due to the death of decent paying gigs.

That subject has been talked about a lot here but the fact is the number of players now who are actually making a living from the live playing of instruments as opposed to DJ's and kids playing Abelton with cheap controllers is a tiny fraction of what it was 30-40 years ago.

No customers, no stores.

Bob

Edited by HammondDave (03/27/17 08:19 AM)

KC Island
#2844899 - 03/27/17 09:12 AM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: SteeVtheRipper]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: SteeVtheRipper
There's also Analog Haven in Santa Monica and if you're up for a drive Noisebug
In Pomona.

I've never been to the new Analog Haven since they split from Noisebug. Cool place?

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • Electronic Musician Magazine • Kush Audio • TK Audio

#2844902 - 03/27/17 09:18 AM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: Jazzmammal]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
The demise of all the independent stores is not due to the internet although that was a factor, it's mainly due to the death of decent paying gigs.

That subject has been talked about a lot here but the fact is the number of players now who are actually making a living from the live playing of instruments as opposed to DJ's and kids playing Abelton with cheap controllers is a tiny fraction of what it was 30-40 years ago.

No customers, no stores.

Bob

^ TRUTH

It certainly applies to my area.

Is Starving Musician in San Jose still around? Browsed there during a business trip back in 1990.

#2844906 - 03/27/17 09:28 AM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: Dave Bryce]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
Originally Posted By: SteeVtheRipper
There's also Analog Haven in Santa Monica and if you're up for a drive Noisebug
In Pomona.

I've never been to the new Analog Haven since they split from Noisebug. Cool place?

dB

Fairly certain they don't have a store front in SM. Nothing indicates otherwise on their website. I'm pretty sure I checked with Shawn about 2 years ago before heading to LA and it didn't sound like it was happening. It was a cool place to visit when they were out in Pomona.

#2844920 - 03/27/17 10:00 AM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: Jazzmammal]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES

A factor, for sure...but as the tools have gotten less expensive the amount of hobbyists home recordists has gone up, I believe, so I'm not sure this could be singled out as the main factor.

Of course, downloadable software/demo versions of same can also be cited as a factor in the decline of the brick and mortar store...and not just for the software itself, either. There are lots of software versions of hardware products, which - while arguably not a substitute for the real thing (for some) - are definitely a good way to learn/try out an interface and concept in your work environment before buying the hardware version.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • Electronic Musician Magazine • Kush Audio • TK Audio

#2844958 - 03/27/17 12:31 PM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: Dave Bryce]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Software is the biggest factor in my case: my DAW replaced my sequencer and multitrack tape recorders, Kontakt and other programs replaced my samplers, and great sample libraries and soft synths replaced any need for a keyboard workstation.

That said, I used to buy all those applications—and even my Macs—at music stores (Goodman, West LA Music, etc.); but it's become very difficult to do so now. For example, I tried to buy Keyscape at a local music store last year; but they didn't have it in stock, so I wound up ordering it online.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2844961 - 03/27/17 12:41 PM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: Geoff Grace]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

I'll add Vintage King to the list of worthwhile LA music stores. They're more focused on pro audio than keyboards, but they typically have a few nice synths in stock. I'd call first to see what they have before making the drive.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2845039 - 03/27/17 05:45 PM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: HammondDave]
Husker Offline

Loc: Alabama
Thanks all for the recommendations.

#2845071 - 03/27/17 07:39 PM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: Husker]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Found this place...

CAVEMAN

Edited by HammondDave (03/27/17 07:40 PM)

#2845076 - 03/27/17 07:51 PM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: HammondDave]
AllanH Offline

Loc: Central Coast, California, USA
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm headed to LA in few weeks and was hoping to try a few new synths. Online really doesn't cut it for an instrument.

#2845322 - 03/28/17 04:29 PM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: AllanH]
elsongs Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
I also stumbled upon Timewarp Music in Mar Vista (on Venice Blvd near Sawtelle) this past weekend. A LOT of vintage stuff, including an Oberheim Four-Voice, a Memorymoog, a Roland JX-10 with programmer, a couple Hammonds, Rhodes, Wurli A200s, a couple DX7s, a Prophet 2000 and a bunch of stuff in the back in cases.

They don't have a functioning website yet but here's the info via Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/timewarp-music-los-angeles

Edited by elsongs (03/28/17 04:30 PM)

#2845337 - 03/28/17 07:09 PM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: elsongs]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: elsongs
I also stumbled upon Timewarp Music in Mar Vista (on Venice Blvd near Sawtelle) this past weekend. A LOT of vintage stuff, including an Oberheim Four-Voice, a Memorymoog, a Roland JX-10 with programmer, a couple Hammonds, Rhodes, Wurli A200s, a couple DX7s, a Prophet 2000 and a bunch of stuff in the back in cases. los-angeles]https://www.yelp.com/biz/timewarp-music-los-angeles[/url]

Damn - nice find Elson twothumbs

#2850741 - 04/20/17 10:59 PM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: Markyboard]
Husker Offline

Loc: Alabama
Thanks all for the help. Had a great day visiting Amoeba, the Sunset GC, and Perfect Circuit Audio, where I ordered a Nord A1R.

Edited by Husker (04/21/17 12:35 PM)

#2850763 - 04/21/17 03:09 AM Re: Good Music Stores in LA Area [Re: Husker]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Nice! twothumbs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner