Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2844047 - 03/23/17 11:27 AM My Brand New CD!
Jazzooo Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
https://duotunes.hearnow.com

If you didn't already know of and appreciate my friend, the late guitarist Ken Basman who had called San Miguel de Allende his home for a couple of decades, let me tell you about him.

His musical gifts were deep--he was an incendiary and swinging improviser; any guitarist who heard him even once would tell you that Ken was a true master of jazz, funk and blues guitar. He was also the most sensitive and empathetic musical partner I'll probably ever know. For me, Ken was the single most motivating source of inspiration I'd met since I studied with bebop trombone legend Frank Rehak in my 20s. He definitely left me better than he found me.

Ken and I did lots of concerts and gigs with great bands, but our favorite musical activity was DUOTUNES, where we played improvised piano/guitar duets, a skill set we stumbled upon by accident almost 13 years ago. We talked about feeling a little guilty when someone hired us as a duo, because we worried that we got more from the music than anyone else.

With the idea of one day releasing a CD, we started casually recording our improvisations (usually based on standards or originals) a few years ago--we weren't in a hurry and in fact we would sometimes re-record songs just for the fun of doing them differently from time to time. Our final conversation in the hospital was about two new tunes to try out.

Throughout the CD, I'm playing my Kawai grand and on a couple of tracks, a Roland VR organ.

When he died, I knew I had to release at least some of what we had in the can, and then I discovered some live tracks recorded at local theaters and restaurants. The audio quality was surprisingly good enough considering they were often taped by an audience member. A little audio tweaking from a friend and package design by Ken's daughter Michaela and suddenly--we have a new CD.

DUOTUNES is now ready for you to check out and buy in either CD or digital download form. What should have been a debut is now a finale, a historical document I suppose. But it is not a morbid affair at all--in fact, the music beautifully captures the excitement joy we experienced whenever we'd hit that zone of anticipating the other's next musical move.

I invite you to visit cdbaby.com and listen to audio samples. From there, you can order the physical CD or download individual tracks or the entire 12 song album. I promise you that you don't have any music quite like this in your collection.

I could classify some tracks a 'bonus tracks' but in truth the entire thing is a big bonus. I love this music and I am so proud to present it now. I've sent it out to several jazz publications for review and I hope it turns a few heads over time. But mostly, I hope those who appreciated Ken will enjoy it, and those who had never heard him play will get the chance now.

https://duotunes.hearnow.com

Edited by Jazzooo (03/23/17 11:28 AM)

KC Island
#2844140 - 03/23/17 07:10 PM Re: My Brand New CD! [Re: Jazzooo]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Just listened to some of the samples. Wonderful playing! Very cool interaction and grooves.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

#2844247 - 03/24/17 09:06 AM Re: My Brand New CD! [Re: Bobadohshe]
Jazzooo Offline
Gold Member

Thanks and thanks.

#2844661 - 03/26/17 09:35 AM Re: My Brand New CD! [Re: Jazzooo]
Jazzooo Offline
Gold Member

Just found out that JAZZIZ Magazine is going to review it and feature a track in their summer CD sampler so they must like it.