Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2845784 - 03/30/17 12:09 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Wastrel]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I never had the Ultimate B3 (not sure if it was out at the time I was gigging) but the Proteus deserves a spot on the best-keyboard/module-for-it's-time list. That thing was just great, easy to navigate (perhaps not quickly as Wastrel says), great sounds. It had a feature that few gear has copied (though I wish it would)--the extra outputs doubled as inputs so it acted as a submixer for other keyboard. I used this for a number of gigs with my JX-10 feeding into it.

KC Island
#2845839 - 03/30/17 03:35 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Stokely]
Canoehead Offline

Loc: Belleville, Ontario, Canada
Roland VK 8 - internal sim
Vent
Vent 2

#2845856 - 03/30/17 04:50 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: lightbg]
kenheeter Offline

Wow! I gigged with one of these for years! It was the only amp that could take my highly modded Rhodes and not blow up! I also used a Yamaha YC-25 and a Clavinet. This amp rig handled it all and just kept working. Three hundred real watts! Heavy but worth the lug. The Leslie sim was amazing for its time.

Ken

#2845857 - 03/30/17 04:51 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: kenheeter]
kenheeter Offline

The above post refers to the Traynor ( Yorkville ) RVS amp system.

#2894097 - 12/05/17 11:58 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: garnermike]
To B3 Online   content
Gold Member

I never seen that Nux Roctary in person, but only found guitar demos... Have you tried it yet? How it goes?

Originally Posted By: garnermike
Like member John Tweed on this thread, I play an SK1 (since 2011), but have disliked its internal sim. Again like John, I find its slowest FAST sim speed to be still too fast, and Hammond does not allow one to slow it down below the "375" setting. Wish Hammond would put out an update to do so.

I have tried the Vent but didn't like it either (too chattery for me). Have been using the Strymon LEX rotary pedal with the SK1 for 5 years, and like it well enough.

On some tunes, I'll use the internal SK1 sim with the SLOW speed turned all the way up to max (318) as my FAST rotary speed. I do this on tunes in which I need to use a layered voice, and don't want the SK1's EXTRAVoice (harpsichord) top layer to be rotaried by the external LEX pedal. BTW, that 318 SLOW rotary speed measure is very close to the FAST rotary speed measure I wish Hammond would have allowed internally on the SK1.

I am toying with trying a new rotary sim pedal called the NUX Roctary (see http://www.nuxefx.com/show-7-209-1.html)

If any of you know about it, please let us know? Thx

#2894107 - 12/05/17 12:29 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: To B3]
Legatoboy Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Well at 1st I spun around and the speaker was stationary but that didn't seem to work well for me .... rimshot

Korg G4
H & K Rotosphere
Dynachord CLS-122
Motion Sound ProT

Edited by Legatoboy (12/05/17 01:42 PM)

#2894125 - 12/05/17 02:13 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: sagetunes]
sagetunes Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Originally Posted By: sagetunes
Ensoniq KS 32 onboard---it took me months to realize that key pressure was the speed regulator---I knew nothing at the time including not knowing what a Leslie was initially.

DX7 onboard---terrible

Voce Micro B onboard---terrible

Alesis QS6 onboard----terrible

Roland VK7 onboard---huge improvement, thought it was great

Motion Sound Pro 3 with keyboard amp---HUGE improvement, thought it was great, still do, especially with bass amp. GREAT piece.

Nord Electro 2 onboard---thought it was great, now dont

Nord Electro 3 onboard---thought it was great, now pretty good

Hammond SK1 onboard---Thought it was great, still do

Lester K---because it was so inexpensive, thought Id try it against onboard SK1. It was really good, but not any better than SK1, different, but not better to my ear. Returned it.

Nord Electro 4 onboard---my fave so far, but I would concede that the SK1 is in the same league, just a matter of taste at this level.

Caveat---Ive never tried the Vent.yet.

Also, I have a solid state 900 and 760.Im not sure I would pick either one over a Motion Sound pro 3 and good bass combo.

I have a 122---enough said.
Im responding to myself here---see Caveat---Ive never tried the Vent.yet.

Now I have tried the Vent---the original that I bought off of a forumite. And now I wont leave home without it. Sounds tremendous with my Nord NE4.

Also, recently I A/Bd a Leslie 900 vs. Original Motion Sound pro-3 with a Univox bass combo, using a Korg CX3 v2 through a Line 6 POD for OD for both. The Motion Sound/Univox is right there, not quite, but surprisingly great, more reliable.

#2894141 - 12/05/17 02:55 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: sagetunes]
sosho Offline

Loc: germany
Korg CX3 I , later with dynacord cls22
micro b with a "Tubeman" , solton and echolette clones
Motion Sound R-147
GSI Gemini

#2894217 - 12/06/17 02:32 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: sosho]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
Chronologically:
Electro Hamonix Flanger
Multi Vox Little David (I often used this with the above flanger)
Motion Sound Pro 3
Motion Sound R3 147
Ventilator (still have)
Melda Productions MVintage Rotary

#2894224 - 12/06/17 05:24 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: mcgoo]
Kelly Gibson Offline

Loc: Asheville
MXR Phase 90/ Hammond M3
Mutron phase shifter
Fender Vibratone
Leslie 145
Leslie 21h
Nord Electro 2
Motion Sound Pro 145
Nord Stage 2
Nord Electro 5

#2894225 - 12/06/17 05:26 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Moonglow]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
In the beginning (70s) was experimentation w/ phasers and flangers,- Ibanez, MXR, Schulte, EH and Musitronics,- later TC as well ...
My 1st real sim was Dynacord CLS-22 ... then,-

Dynacord CLS-222
Dynacord DLS-232 hardware upgraded to DLS-300

I added a (slightly custom modified) Chandler Tubedriver rackmount unit and a Rocktron 300A compressor/limiter/HushII already when I used the CLS-222.

After that I used only whats built in into the keyboard instruments which started w/ KURZ PC361 and KB3 which I tweaked heavily.

Meanwhile I refuse the schlep and setup of external FX.

A.C.

#2894226 - 12/06/17 05:36 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Al Coda]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Roland VR-760 with Motion Sound Pro-3T and 200S + SL
Hammond XK-1 onboard and with Motion Sound set above
Nord Stage Compact onboard (aka "Classic")
Nord Stage 2
Nord Electro 5D
Viscount Legend Live

Edited by jeffinpghpa (12/06/17 05:38 AM)

#2894227 - 12/06/17 06:01 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: jeffinpghpa]
wineandkeyz Offline
Gold Member

Loc: North Carolina
I've owned a few Leslies and a Motion Sound Pro3T/Low-Pro combo over the years, but my history with sims (as much of it as I can remember) is:

Fender Contempo organ through a Small Stone phaser
Yamaha YC-20 through that same phaser
Roland D-50 through a Rolls Rotorhorn RP147
Hammond XM-1 internal sim
Roland VK-7, VK-8, VR-760, and VR-700 internal sims
Korg CX-3 and BX-3 internal sims
Nord Electro 2 internal sim (hated those drawbuttons!)
Roland VR-700 through a GSi Burn pedal
Hammond XK-3 and XK-3C through an original vent -- never used the Hammond internal sims and still have the XK-3C and Vent
Nord Electro 4D internal sim

#2894231 - 12/06/17 06:23 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: jeffinpghpa]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
NuBiPlus Spinner
NI B4
VB3
Logic Vintage Organ
PSP L'otary
Melda Rotary
B-5 Rotary

B-5 is my current rotary Sim, PSP and Melda are good but not sufficiently better than the B-5 Rotary to warrant running a second plugin.

The Logic and B-5 sim interact really well swith the the swell pedal in the transition between clean and overdrive.

#2894232 - 12/06/17 06:35 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Markay]
teashea Offline

Mojo
Legend
Legend Live
C2D
XK5
Electro 5D
Stage 3
Dexibell Classico
Vent II
Numa Organ 2

(Leslie 3300 for comparison)

Each has its own personality. None are exactly alike. Stereo and the sound system make big differences.

#2894238 - 12/06/17 07:07 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: teashea]
JimboKeys Offline

Loc: Raleigh NC
Started in 1972 with a Leslie 21H.
1979 Got tired of hauling the Leslie (actually my bandmates did), replaced with MXR Phase 90
1986 Internal FX on DW8000 (quite usable even if it didn't really sound like a Leslie)
1991 ART SGX-II rackmount multi-FX
1995 Tried Digitech RPM1 - too noisy
1996 Motion Sound Pro-3
1998 Blew up Pro-3, replaced with Motion Sound Pro-3T which never sounded as good
2005 Pro-3T got trashed in a flooded basement, used various rompler internal sims for a while (yuck)
2014 GSi Burn that i'm currently using

- Jimbo

#2894274 - 12/06/17 10:01 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: JimboKeys]
raffkey Offline

History order:
leslie 145
VK-8 briefly
Motion Sound Pro 3
Ventilator
internal leslie(s)in Kurzweil PC

in order of favorite for sound:
Vent
Kurz

in order of favorite for weekend gigging:
Vent
Kurz

#2894314 - 12/06/17 01:04 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: raffkey]
ballatman Offline

Loc: South Lanarkshire, Scotland
My early rotary history was with a Selmer Leslie speaker driven by a 100 watt amp top. I used this for quite a few years with different organs:-Yamaha B20BR, Haven Traveller,Haven 61 and Hammond B200.
Followed by:-
CX3(Mk1)-internal sim.
L102+Korg G4.
HS XB2-internal sim.
NI B4(1).
NI B4(2).
K2661 KB3-internal sim.
PC361 KB3-internal sim.
Numa organ (Mk1)-internal sim.
HX3 module-internal sim.

Presently using Uhl Instruments X3-internal sim, (sometimes with GSI Burn),
OR
A800pro+GSI Gemini module-internal sim.

#2894382 - 12/06/17 08:45 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: ballatman]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
I've played through maybe a half-dozen internal sims, including decent ones on my Nords. Tried some pedals back in the day, total bust.

Tried a Motion Sound several years ago, not for me. Although I've seen dudes rock it on stage. Just too heavy and limited for me. PM me if you want one for short money.

Had the original Vent when it first came out. Mistakenly sold it. Got better amplification. Missed it. Had to get the Vent II. It's a thing, right? Dayummm.

Total Leslie joy. People notice. Rich creamy sound. The drummer describes it as "delicious" through a pair of high-end stereo speakers. He hears me through his IEMs, and busts out in a smile every time I dig in. Just enough dirt to make it tasty and real. Can't do the Jon Lord stuff.

Only problem? It's not patch programmable as are the sims on my new Nord Stage 3 Compact. The convenience of dialing in your leslie preferences (including distortion) on a per-patch level is not to be underestimated.

And that's turning out to be a big deal, it seems.

First world problems. I'll figure it out. I always do.

Keys: Nord Piano 2, Stage 3 Compact, other stuff
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2894453 - 12/07/17 06:33 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: cphollis]
RoadHousePiano Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
NOrd Electro 2
Nord Stage Classic
Mvintage Rotary/L'Otary (depending on patch)
Electro 5

#2894476 - 12/07/17 08:03 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: RoadHousePiano]
Iconoclast Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Yamaha S80 and S90 ... bleh

Hammond XK3c through Motion Sound KBR3D: what I'm currently using.

Kurz Forte: I've added this to my rig and the Leslie stuff is a little too overstated for me. I've test routed the KB3 through my MotionSound amp and it sounded pretty good, but I've never gigged with it that way.

Nord Stage 3: Best of all the "simulators" I've tried but I still prefer the Motion Sound for the leslie.

I haven't tried a vent yet and I think I really need to.

Forte7, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff
...and a pickup truck to haul it all

#2894550 - 12/07/17 10:54 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Iconoclast]
Shamanzarek Offline

Loc: NJ
Before I got two Leslie 147's in the early 70's I found if you set the Hammond M3 Vibrato/Chorus rocker switch in a secret in-between setting it did a pretty good fast Leslie effect. I used real Leslies on stage up until the early 80's though I did switch to a Vox Super Continental organ. In the late 70's I built a PAIA Synthespin MKII which was supposed to simulate a Leslie. It had a very choppy sound and really wasn't usable. After reading in Keyboard Mag that Tony Banks was using a Roland chorus on his Hammond I got a Boss CE-3 chorus pedal and used that on my Vox organ which I really liked though it was only good for a slow Leslie effect.

Edited by Shamanzarek (12/07/17 10:55 AM)

#2894809 - 12/09/17 08:02 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Iconoclast]
teashea Offline

I agree that the Nord Stage 3 is an excellent sim

#2894813 - 12/09/17 08:52 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: teashea]
AWkeys Offline

Started with the mod wheel on my DX-27, then paired it with a Boss Chorus pedal. Then bought a used Korg Symphony module and MIDIed it to the DX-27. At that point, the modulated DX with the straight "Jazz Organ" preset on the Korg Symphony mixed together made a really nice chorus 3 as opposed to fast Leslie.

Then got the Roland JV-80 and tried my damndest to program a usable Leslie effect to manually change speeds with the left-hand slider.

Then bought a Boss SE-70 with a very usable (at the time, early 90s) Leslie effect that I also programmed the heck out of and used for years. This with the JV-80 and some effect pedals was my gig-rig for a long time.

Then I bought a Leslie 145 and combo preamp, put Ernie Ball handles on either side and big casters on the bottom. Played my JV-80 through it, and it sounded great!

Somewhere around '99, I bought a Voce V5 and Motion Sound Pro-3T. That was a KILLER setup for the time, but I never liked the Pro-3T's ramp times (even with the internal adjustments) and had to replace the O-ring on it a couple times as well. The main issue with the MS stuff is that while it's moving air, the radius of the horn's travel is smaller than that of a real Leslie, so the sound just doesn't "travel" as far.

Then I bought the Nord Electro 2 and was very happy with the internal Leslie.

Then the Nord Stage.

Then the Ventilator I which I still have and use.

Nord Stage 2 w/ Ventilator I.

Now I have the Ventilator II, kept the I and even have an EH Lester G pedal (wanted control over ramp time for which there is no knob on the Lester K pedal).

Oh, and I own two 145s with combo preamps that haven't been fired up in 5 years. I'm a bit of a hoarder...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner