Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2844050 - 03/23/17 11:36 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Stokely]
SkiGuy777 Offline

Loc: Plantation FL
Originally Posted By: Stokely
I've never used an external one, but then I am not really an organ player per se and only play classic rock in a loud band smile

This is me basically, which is why I never got one until recently. The 8 piece horn band I'm in wanted to do a side project of 3DN. It's not complicated stuff but Jimmy Greenspoon is using the Leslie a lot. One of the other band members has a real B3 and Leslie he wanted to use but the rest of us said no way to moving all that equipment. I had known about the Vent, and once I watched Jim's YouTube videos again, I bought one.
Hammond XB-2
Hammond XK-2 (Now with the Ventilator 2)
Best box to bring an old organ to life. Even in the slow speed, it changes the sound and makes it full. Get their pedal which has a stop and slow/fast switch.

Edited by SkiGuy777 (03/23/17 11:45 AM)

KC Island
#2844053 - 03/23/17 11:40 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: SkiGuy777]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
No doubt it sounds incredible...I wonder just how much better than the VR-700's internal sim it actually is. I'm putting my head in the sand and probably don't really want to know--too many other things I need!

It would have to be a fair bit better, and in mono, since I'm leaning toward upgrading the keyboard itself in the future to possibly something that has a really nice internal sim.

#2844076 - 03/23/17 01:09 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Stokely]
engineerjoel Offline

Between 1988-1990, I had the rackmount Dynacord CLS-222. Probably the best leslie sim during that time period.

Today, I'm using the (original) Vent. Though, I really wish NEO would come out with a rack-mount VENT with independent Stereo Hi / Stereo LO balanced outputs.

#2844135 - 03/23/17 06:33 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: engineerjoel]
jpgxk3 Offline

Loc: L.I. NY.
Started in the '70s with a Farfisa and Boss chorus, then went with a Jess Oliver "Orbital" passive rotating horn; I think I used it with my old Kustom 100. Then a Leslie 120 for a while; sold all that and picked up a L101 & 147. Great rig for years. These days I am happy using an original Vent with either my sk1 or Mojo.

#2844154 - 03/23/17 08:12 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Stokely]
dougb415 Offline

Loc: Summertown TN
In the 70s I played a Farfisa VIP255 thru a 910 Leslie. In '98 I got a Roland VK-7 with a Peavey keyboard combo amp. Eventually got a Motion Sound KBR-M, which I ended up hating, but I used it for a few years. I got rid of the KBR-M and replaced it with 2 Behringer keyboard amps. I used an old PC running B4, and it sounded much better than the VK-7 and the MS. I used the VK-7 as a controller keyboard. Eventually sold that rig and used VB3 straight into the PA system. Now I use a Novation Impulse 61 controller, which has 9 sliders that can be configured as drawbars. I'm still running VB3 on an old Macbook when I do live gigs. I also had a Strymon Lex for my guitar rig.

#2844164 - 03/23/17 09:49 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: dougb415]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Speaking only about gigging rigs, not extra organs at home:

- Farfisa Combo Compact, Gibson G101, and then Farfisa Professional thru Leslie 45 with 2 speed motors added and driven from a Sunn tube head.

- Hammond B2 thru custom Crown biamped leslie with 2 15" Gauss woofers, 2 rotors, and 2" JBL horn driver. This leslie was blown up by Jan Hammer during a Mahavishnu show.

- same B2 thru rebuilt custom lowboy leslie with only 1 woofer and rotor. Has JBL woofer and horn driver.

- Korg CX-3 (1979 analog version) internal sim.

- Roland VK-1000 internal sim. Later added a MS Pro-3.

- Roland JV-80 rompler patch w/ internal leslie effect. It's hard to admit this - still traumatized.

- Nord Electro 2 internal sim. Later added a Speakeasy preamp.

- Nord Stage Classic internal sim. Added Speakeasy Roadbox. Then added Speakeasy AMA and a Roadbox Convertible.

- VB3 vst in Receptor being driven from my custom controller.

- added MiniVent. Added Crumar Mojo. Mojo -> AMA -> MiniVent works a treat.

- added Hammond XK-1C. Never used internal sim, always ran thru the MiniVent.

- added Mojo 61. I use the internal sim on this and it does the job just fine. I'm going to hook the MiniVent back up for giggles to try.

Now I'm anxious to test drive the Viscount.

Edited by mate stubb (03/23/17 11:06 PM)

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2844171 - 03/23/17 11:55 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: mate stubb]
John Tweed Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
1970 Leslie 147 paired with an L100 organ
1991 Ensoniq KS32 had an OK simulator for its time. It'd never fool anyone but it sounded OK and I really liked the fact that the speed could be switched with aftertouch
1997 Roland VK7 internal sim. Sometimes I thought it sounded OK and other times very much not so
2007 XK3 replaces VK7. Internal sim not great, but not as squirrelly sounding as the VK7
2009 Motion Sound Pro3X - a real spinner that could fill the room with sound. I didn't like the loud hum emanating from the bass output but otherwise it was OK.
2011 Hammond SK replaces XK3 but the fast speed is too fast for my liking
2012 Ventilator Mk1 - I still use this today in preference to both the Mojo and SK's internal sims
2016 Mojo, but I always use the Ventilator on gigs

#2844176 - 03/24/17 04:29 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: John Tweed]
lightbg Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Rockaway,NJ,UNITED STATES
Getting old....I knew there was something missing in my list.... how could I forget this:

Still in use - not gigged with, but set up at home.
Those crazy Canadians must have taken lessons from Laurens Hammond on how to over-engineer musical amps.

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

#2844185 - 03/24/17 05:31 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: lightbg]
DenCV Offline

Went from a C3/122 to a korg poly 61 patch using the internal chorus on high speed only, talk about a downgrade! Not including the real things at home, next "portable" was a jx8p which lasted about a week until I found an old analog CX3. Internal sim was so subtle I knew I had to do something. I tried a mutron phasor 2, big fail, then I went to a rocky road, knew that wasn't gonna cut it, so next was an RT20, which I struggled with for about 6 months. It was better than the internal but still had a long way to go. I ended up building a frankenstein leslie, which I now use for guitar, but it was just a bottom rotor, so I'd have to mic it and eq it hard, leading to wonderful feedback. THen I picked up a leslie 50C, and that combo was livable, but it was a beast to haul. Next I got a new digital Korg CX3 thinking I could live with the internal and it would be nice to just plug and go. The upper end drove me nuts. Out came the 50c again with that. I finally tried a vent, but that harsh upper end was just as bad with the vent as the internal, so I stuck with the 50c, which was the only thing that made that harshness tolerable for me. Then nwe started doing small resturaunt gigs and my CX3/50c and real wurly wasn't fitting. SO I went out and tried an SK1 for the second time, this time bringing the vent and a volume pedal to the store. Walked out with it 10 minutes later. My setup is still an SK1 or 2 through a vent (with an added Organ Grinder before the vent, and a strymon el capistan after used sparingly), except for maybe one gig a year to remind me why I don't haul the leslie all the time anymore.

#2844211 - 03/24/17 07:27 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: lightbg]
Joe P Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Valley, NJ
Originally Posted By: lightbg
Getting old....I knew there was something missing in my list.... how could I forget this:

Still in use - not gigged with, but set up at home.
Those crazy Canadians must have taken lessons from Laurens Hammond on how to over-engineer musical amps.

Jake

Question Jake:

WTF IS THAT? smile

Joe

#2844217 - 03/24/17 07:43 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Joe P]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Canada
Wow.

With the CDN inference I googled RVS Amplifiers and got... RV-ing.

Never heard of it, and I've had/used Garnet, Traynor, Lesage, Kingsley, Fury, Dingwall, Radial, and Wire gear.

Back on topic, I've only used Hammonds with a Leslie 122, Leslie 145, then onboard simulators with clones... through MotionSound and the usual configurations until Neo Ventilator and Spacestation changed the world as we know it.

Now with a Mojo61, the Vent's on local Craigslist. Any Canucks want to buy it, PM me.

Kawai KG2 | Studiologic SL88 | Mojo61 | Pianoteq 6 | Ravenscroft 275 | Korg Module

#2844229 - 03/24/17 08:16 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: drawback]
OrpheusNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted By: drawback
Wow.

With the CDN inference I googled RVS Amplifiers and got... RV-ing

Always look within first:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2422647/Any_info_on_Traynor_RVS_Model_

#2844244 - 03/24/17 09:04 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: OrpheusNY]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Canada
thu

Kawai KG2 | Studiologic SL88 | Mojo61 | Pianoteq 6 | Ravenscroft 275 | Korg Module

#2844256 - 03/24/17 09:35 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Joe P]
lightbg Offline
Gold Member

Question Jake:

WTF IS THAT? smile

Joe [/quote]

Joe

As pointed out above,

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2422647/Any_info_on_Traynor_RVS_Model_

The most bulletproof amp I've ever owned. For it's time the rotary sim was the best.
RVS = Rotating Vibrato Synthesis
It's wouldn't fool anyone today, but it's still usable
- definitely not chirpy, and with a blend control on each channel you automatically get a type of chorus..... made by Traynor, but marketed for keyboard players.

Edited by lightbg (03/24/17 11:02 AM)

"It needs a Hammond"

#2844257 - 03/24/17 09:44 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: drawback]
garnermike Offline

Loc: Garner NC
Like member John Tweed on this thread, I play an SK1 (since 2011), but have disliked its internal sim. Again like John, I find its slowest FAST sim speed to be still too fast, and Hammond does not allow one to slow it down below the "375" setting. Wish Hammond would put out an update to do so.

I have tried the Vent but didn't like it either (too chattery for me). Have been using the Strymon LEX rotary pedal with the SK1 for 5 years, and like it well enough.

On some tunes, I'll use the internal SK1 sim with the SLOW speed turned all the way up to max (318) as my FAST rotary speed. I do this on tunes in which I need to use a layered voice, and don't want the SK1's EXTRAVoice (harpsichord) top layer to be rotaried by the external LEX pedal. BTW, that 318 SLOW rotary speed measure is very close to the FAST rotary speed measure I wish Hammond would have allowed internally on the SK1.

I am toying with trying a new rotary sim pedal called the NUX Roctary (see http://www.nuxefx.com/show-7-209-1.html)

If any of you know about it, please let us know? Thx

Edited by garnermike (03/24/17 09:59 AM)
Bass KB amp: G-K MB800 (various cabinets)

www.mikemickxer.com
www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

#2844279 - 03/24/17 11:21 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: garnermike]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
As I showed above, my first sim was the ol' Maestro Phase Shifter. Totally stupid sim, sounded nothing like a Leslie... but I used it to "approximate" the sound. And for late 70's music, it worked pretty well.

Went back to real Leslie's until I started to gig regularly in Dallas. That's when I used a Motion Sound Pro 3T on top of a (wait for it).... Roland KC500 Chainsaw Amp! Yes, the Pro 3T took care of all the highs, leaving the KC500 to do what it does best, fart away the bass frequencies...

Soon decent sims started to come onto the market. Went through the whole Hammond clone lineup with each sim getting marginally better.

When I moved to LA I kept the Motion Sound and ran a VK7 through it. Sounded pretty good for the classic rock we were playing. Finally sold it when I was "satisfied with the sim in the XK3. But when the Vent came out, it changed everything. Owned both the Vent I and Vent II. Still love the overdrive in it. When I bought my Mojo I sold the Vent II. I just feel that the Mojo is 95% as good, and who needs all that real estate and three more cords to lug around?

My question about sims... after all their musical technological achievements, why can't Yamaha create a better rotary sim? Is it just not in their DNA?

#2844331 - 03/24/17 02:11 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: HammondDave]
lightbg Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: HammondDave
As I showed above, my first sim was the ol' Maestro Phase Shifter. Totally stupid sim, sounded nothing like a Leslie... but I used it to "approximate" the sound. And for late 70's music, it worked pretty well.

Went back to real Leslie's until I started to gig regularly in Dallas. That's when I used a Motion Sound Pro 3T on top of a (wait for it).... Roland KC500 Chainsaw Amp! Yes, the Pro 3T took care of all the highs, leaving the KC500 to do what it does best, fart away the bass frequencies...

Soon decent sims started to come onto the market. Went through the whole Hammond clone lineup with each sim getting marginally better.

When I moved to LA I kept the Motion Sound and ran a VK7 through it. Sounded pretty good for the classic rock we were playing. Finally sold it when I was "satisfied with the sim in the XK3. But when the Vent came out, it changed everything. Owned both the Vent I and Vent II. Still love the overdrive in it. When I bought my Mojo I sold the Vent II. I just feel that the Mojo is 95% as good, and who needs all that real estate and three more cords to lug around?

My question about sims... after all their musical technological achievements, why can't Yamaha create a better rotary sim? Is it just not in their DNA?

It wasn't until the reface YC that they had a decent tonewheel sim, and now you want a Leslie?.......maybe 2027.

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

#2844462 - 03/25/17 09:53 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: lightbg]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I found this photo from a gig I was playing in Dallas in 1997. It pretty much shows my rig with my trusty Pro3T on top of my Roland JV 1080 module. By the way, that's a Roland A90EX controller on top of the piano. This rig actually sounded pretty good (for back then)... It's also nice to see myself with dark hair.

Edited by HammondDave (03/25/17 10:08 AM)

#2844750 - 03/26/17 07:26 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: garnermike]
DenCV Offline

Mike,
Seriously, get the 8 pin cable for your SK, it automatically sends the organ to your sim, and the extra voices to the regular outs. It's what sold me on the SK series to begin with. ALso, if we all make enough noise maybe HS will adjust the code so we can get a slower fast speed. I can't live with that fast either, every leslie I own is on the top pully.

Originally Posted By: garnermike

On some tunes, I'll use the internal SK1 sim with the SLOW speed turned all the way up to max (318) as my FAST rotary speed. I do this on tunes in which I need to use a layered voice, and don't want the SK1's EXTRAVoice (harpsichord) top layer to be rotaried by the external LEX pedal. BTW, that 318 SLOW rotary speed measure is very close to the FAST rotary speed measure I wish Hammond would have allowed internally on the SK1.

#2845346 - 03/28/17 07:34 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: DenCV]
garnermike Offline

Loc: Garner NC
Thx!
I may try the 8-pin thingie.
Bass KB amp: G-K MB800 (various cabinets)

www.mikemickxer.com
www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

#2845357 - 03/28/17 08:47 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: garnermike]
yamarolorg Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
GSI Burn.

#2845378 - 03/28/17 10:26 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Stokely]
FreshTrooperXBL Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
First I started with Roland Vk-7 in 2011.

Then I played a stock M-103 w/o a Leslie in late 2011.

Used a Boss PH-3 phaser pedal as a very lame Leslie few months later.

Bought a DLS RotoSim in 2012 after playing a 201 EP at Caveman in LA. It's not great at all, but it sounds good on EP's just like the EHX Lester pedals.

Now an SK-1 plain jane starting in early 2015.

#2845500 - 03/29/17 09:48 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: FreshTrooperXBL]
sagetunes Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Ensoniq KS 32 onboard---it took me months to realize that key pressure was the speed regulator---I knew nothing at the time including not knowing what a Leslie was initially.

DX7 onboard---terrible

Voce Micro B onboard---terrible

Alesis QS6 onboard----terrible

Roland VK7 onboard---huge improvement, thought it was great

Motion Sound Pro 3 with keyboard amp---HUGE improvement, thought it was great, still do, especially with bass amp. GREAT piece.

Nord Electro 2 onboard---thought it was great, now donít

Nord Electro 3 onboard---thought it was great, now pretty good

Hammond SK1 onboard---Thought it was great, still do

Lester K---because it was so inexpensive, thought Iíd try it against onboard SK1. It was really good, but not any better than SK1, different, but not better to my ear. Returned it.

Nord Electro 4 onboard---my fave so far, but I would concede that the SK1 is in the same league, just a matter of taste at this level.

Caveat---Iíve never tried the VentÖ.yet.

Also, I have a solid state 900 and 760Ö.Iím not sure I would pick either one over a Motion Sound pro 3 and good bass combo.

I have a 122---enough said.

#2845518 - 03/29/17 10:43 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: HammondDave]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: HammondDave

This is a super-good question, one I've wondered about since I owned the Motif 6. They kept improving the Motif line yet kept the same lame leslie in there from what I could tell. At this point you could say they might be the only major "rompler" manufacturer that doesn't have a dedicated organ engine:
Korg - cx3
Roland - vk/vr engine
Kurzweil - (forgot the name of it, and I own one!)
Nord - 'nuff said

Granted, these guys don't put those engines in everything, which is annoying! grin
Considering how old some of the above are, it doesn't seem like it would take much to jump in the game.

A mox with a nice b3 engine? Take my money, I'll buy two of them.

#2845538 - 03/29/17 12:00 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Stokely]
rockinredeye Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA
In an earlier life I had a Leslie, a 142 I think, paired with a red Yamaha YC-20. Then I got a B3 but never played out with it. In the current band, I had a Hammond XK2. Since the sim wasn't to my liking, I found a Motion Sound R-147. Barryjam mentioned having this in a earlier post. It's rack mountable, 6U tall, has a rotating horn with mics, bass rotor sim, all fully enclosed. It doesn't sound out into the room at all. It sounds absolutely authentic to me, but compared to a Vent, who'd want to lug it around? Now I just play the KB3 in my Kurzweil PC3 and love it.

#2845540 - 03/29/17 12:19 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: Moonglow]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Moonglow
Around 1980, I had a Farfisa V.I.P. 345... until I obtained an (analog) Korg CX-3

My first portable organ was also the VIP 345! After that, the Hammond X2, with an MXR phase shifter, before getting a "real" Hammond chop with a Leslie 122. Used that until I got the analog Korg CX3 when it came out. Action sucked (broke keys all the time), but I finally had a portable I was content playing.

#2845550 - 03/29/17 12:48 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: sagetunes]
StickMan393 Offline

Originally Posted By: sagetunes

:

Roland VK7 onboard---huge improvement, thought it was great

:

Lester K---because it was so inexpensive, thought Iíd try it against onboard SK1. It was really good, but not any better than SK1, different, but not better to my ear. Returned it.

I actually ordered a Lester K this week to try it out with my Roland VK-8. My experience is very similar to yours. I liked the VK-8's onboard rotary but was not happy with the way it interacted with the onboard COSM amp modelling.

So I tried hooking up the Lester K and turning off the on-board FX (i.e. turning the COSM Amp to minimum distortion) and to be honest, the rotary effect is not better than the VK-8. It is different.

The way the rotary and "Drive" work together is also different, but I haven't nailed down a perfect sound with it either.

It definitely gives me more options. I wish there was a way to "insert" an overdrive between the keys and the onboard rotary on the VK-8...

As for the Lester K, I haven't made up my mind about returning it yet.

#2845555 - 03/29/17 01:09 PM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: StickMan393]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Leslie Sim History.

April 2015 - Mini Vent (Only Vent available at the Time.)

That is it ...... Before that only the real thing baby.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2845760 - 03/30/17 10:26 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: CEB]
vanderSchoot Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I had an EMU B3 that i used for very long.
It was purely sampled and the crossfading was strange and also the percussion, chorus and overdrive was nothing like the current top clones.

However on fast it made a great sound i thought was missing in all the other clones at the time (VK-7, Electro, XK-2)
When you listen to the fast settings it seems the sound gains momentum whereas many clones (even current ones) seem to have an effect glued to the basic sound.

Can any leslie specialist comment on this ??
Into 0:35-0:40 sec. of the video below......still many modern simulators don't have this organic screaming sound on fast....

Edited by vanderSchoot (03/30/17 10:27 AM)

#2845769 - 03/30/17 11:15 AM Re: Your Leslie simulator history [Re: vanderSchoot]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Oh. I'd forgotten about that one. I had a Proteus with the Ultimate B3 ROM in it (which is basically the same thing). My band used to beg me to bring it to gigs because they loved the sound. My problem was that I found it hard to get at the patches I wanted on the fly without a dedicated MIDI controller.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner