Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer OB-Xa

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And also if they're going to remake an OB poly why not the OBX? Isn't it considered more desirable than the XA what with the SEM architecture at its core? Even looking on eBay you can find XA's for half the price as an X, if you can find an X at all. I'd like to see them try and remake a Prophet 5 and see if Dave takes that lying down.
1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

By my reading nothing that Mary Curtis said above and what Uli Behringer has said (here) contradict each other. I'm sure there's no question of the legality of what Uli is doing and it IS fully in the spirit of patent law, as Mighty Ferguson says.

Now, whether you have an ethical objection to it is a personal choice. Similarly, whether you think that Behringer can make a reliable product or not (notice that I didn't actually state a position on that in this thread). You are free to vote your conscience and your opinion on those issues with your pocket book.

Now, whether you have an ethical objection to it is a personal choice.

Could not agree more.

My personal belief is there is a way to conduct business. Here's an example - the caption attached to a photograph of a new DSI synth, from the Curtis Electromusic Specialities' Facebook page:

"A photo from NAMM 2017: some years ago Dave Smith asked for the familys blessing to use the Curtis name on the filter module which contains chips designed by Doug and manufactured by OnChip Systems, the successor company to Curtis Electromusic. We are so happy to have Dave extending Dougs technology for new generations of musicians."

And I remember when it was announced (as in this

article ), that Yamaha graciously granted the Sequential Circuits name back to Dave Smith - first line of the story:

"In an unprecedented gesture of good will, Yamaha Corporation and its President, Takuya Nakata, have granted possession of the Sequential brand back to its original owner and company founder, Dave Smith. To say that Im grateful would be putting it mildly, said Smith. Generosity at this level is almost unheard of in todays corporate climate.

These kinds of things matter to me, and they become part of my purchase decision choices.

Everyone gets to decide what matters most to them; but I think it's worth talking about the occasions when people do what I consider to be the highest and best thing. Now, full disclosure, I teach classes on business ethics, the role of ethical stakeholders, and that sort of thing. Maybe that's why I think about this stuff in a particular way.

I want to be careful not to point fingers at anyone else's purchase decision - but I do think we are all better off when people of influence and power make the highest and best ethical business decisions.

Just my 0.02.

Tim

So Tim, out of curiosity (especially with your teaching business ethics), is there a way that Behringer could do a less expensive version of these classic synths that you feel would be in line with common business ethics? I would have to assume they would not get any sort of blessing from Moog/Oberheim/Curtis. To be clear, I'm not trying to make any point with this question, just genuinely curious about how black and white this area is, or if it's a gray area at all given how old some of these designs are.
"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

That's a great question, and not saying I have the right answer, or any kind of corner on the market on business ethics. I mean, there's a reason we now have to teach an ethics component in virtually EVERY class in the common business curricula - the same reason we have Sarbannes Oxley - because "business ethics" is often an oxymoron.

That being said, I resonate with the comments that Tom Oberheim is still alive, and Dave Curtis' widow and daughters are still alive. Dave Smith took the initiative to reach out to them. Mary Curtis could have said "no". Tom Oberheim could have said "not interested". And for that matter, Takuya Nakata could have replied, "Certainly, if you pay us $xxxxxx..."

In other words, OnChip is hearing about this from alarmed customers. I'm assuming (from sheer ignorance) that neither Coolaudio nor Uli Behringer reached out to them (inferred from the tone of the OnChip / Mary Curtis statement).

Has Uli Behringer spoken to Tom Oberheim about any of the above...since Tom is still alive, and easily reachable?

To be clear, I'm certainly NOT saying that Behringer, et.al., have any LEGAL obligation per se, reason for patents and IP and such, etc. Which I don't disagree with.

But I suppose my thoughts, and what I try to teach (to both my sons and my students) - is this how you would teach your children to conduct themselves in business?

Perhaps an antiquated, parochial measuring stick. But that's my measuring stick. All the old outdated sentiments about being able to look yourself in the eye in the mirror when you're 75, that kind of thing.

No, it doesn't appear to me that Behringer is doing any illegal here, with the very little I have read here and elsewhere. But legal and ethical are always two related, though distinct, topics of exploration.

I know this doesn't answer your question very satisfactorily., sorry for that. But I do think the conversation is very much worth having - as long as we can remain civil and human in all this.

Tim

This is interesting. The patents have expired and everyone involved knew that would happen eventually. They all participated knowing this.

If recreating an OBX was so important to Tom, he could have done this long ago but he didn't. Now the ARP 2600 - I am not sure about that one. It will be interesting to see the talk between Behringer and Korg.

I'm guessing the keyboards might be a "clone" but only in the same say that Studio Electronics made minimoog-like modules etc...

I really doubt it's going to look like an OB-X at all. I may be way off base though.

For me, unless it's laid out the same and looks similar it loses a lot for me.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Remember the DM-12 started its life as a Juno 106 clone and migrated from there. I think it's safe to say that it is a keyboard all its own and not a clone of anything at this point. If it ends up "cloning" the filters or the oscillators, how is that any different from the hundreds of synths over the years that offer multiple filter emulations to mimic certain filters?

If it is an exact replica including the name, offering no new features, that's a different story - though as mentioned, Tom Oberheim has had many decades to re-release an OBXa if he wanted to. Since when is it unethical to fill an open market space? We aren't talking about undercutting a CURRENT product with a copy made with cheaper parts and labor, as Chinese knockoff companies do every day. We're talking about a space that's been open for, what - 35 years?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

because "business ethics" is often an oxymoron.

Interestingly enough I was thinking exactly this when I read your previous post, Tim, then I kept reading the thread and you brought it up yourself in your next post.

:nopity:

Patents and copyrights create a legal monopoly for the owner. The owner is granted, for a length of time established by law, exclusivity as to the market and pricing of the product, presumably long enough to recoup development costs and provide sufficient profit from his/her creation. But the expiration is designed to protect the consumer, who ultimately should pay market, not monopoly, prices. So when the patent for a drug expires, the generic drug companies come in and sell the same product at a fraction of the previous price--THAT'S A GOOD THING. Same is true with the many store brands and knockoffs you see everywhere. If someone happens to infringe, then it's up to the patent/copyright owner to take necessary action. But as a consumer it should be of no concern. Why fret about legal phantoms that dont involve you?

I knew an importer of microphones who said a principal from Neumann would plop a cease and desist letter at every trade show booth that marketed anything thing resembling a Neumann product. The letter was impotent, but was their way of bullying/threatening. In Neumanns view, those large diaphragm mics should cost $3,000, not $300.

I notice people dont seem as concerned when some startup/kick starter comes out with a cloned Mini Moog, ARP 2600, CS80, etc, but when Behringer does it, suddenly theres gnashing of teeth. A feel good, Samson v. Goliath-based ethics is groundless, IMO.

Heres a Moog Prodigy recreation that just hit.

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2017/03/ensure-sound-released-prodigy-er-16.html

Busch.

Interestingly enough I was thinking exactly this when I read your previous post, Tim, then I kept reading the thread and you brought it up yourself in your next post.

Yup, Dave. It appears I'm clearly a minority opinion on this one, which isn't surprising.

Tim

> Maybe Behringer will remake a Chroma someday... always wanted one

If you are serious, I think that there's a place in the SF bay area with lots of them. They approached me once about it and said they had a bunch of them lying around I guess.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

I am really confused about the application of business ethics to the MI industry.

When discussing semi-conductors, replicating circuit designs that have long been in the public domain raises serious ethical issues, while in the organ world there is wide ranging support for any one who can best clone the original.

Never once have I read that anyone has ethical issues in buying something that replicates a B3 nor has anyone suggested Nord, Korg, Roland, Crumar et al should politely ask Hammond Suzuki for permission to clone their IP, which has also long been in the public domain.

Do some refuse to buy a DP that clones the sound of a C7 unless the manufacturer has written permission from Yamaha?

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Good point Mark. My feeling is using new/different technology from the original is fair game; duplicating an existing schematic part for part, or gate for gate in an IC chip/ASIC or line for line if we're talking code isn't. Of course there's everything in between and thus the gray area. A digital version of a true tonewheel organ is OK as is a VST. But copy someone's VST code, not too good.

One thing that stuck from my annual mandatory ethics training is to listen to your gut; if it feels wrong or slightly questionable, it probably is.

> Maybe Behringer will remake a Chroma someday... always wanted one

I auditioned a Chroma 2-3 months before the DX-7 came out. Bought the DX, and it did me great service, but I really regret not having spent the $5k or so to get the Chroma.

My favorite synth of all time. Mine went up in flames when the music store my band was practicing in burned down. Hell, I'd be happy if someone created a good VST copy with accurate programs.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It appears I'm clearly a minority opinion on this one, which isn't surprising.

Perhaps, but certainly not alone. It's tough to apply universally, though, or else you spend all your time researching companies and product design, and not enough time living. It's a delicate balance, but I'm with you. The world would be a better place if this mattered to more people.

That's MY $.02!! :-)

~ That guy

• 9 months later...
Not sure if this has been shared elsewhere (my search only turned up this thread) but Behringer has announced the UB-Xa

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Not sure if this has been shared elsewhere (my search only turned up this thread) but Behringer has announced the UB-Xa

Yes ! :drool:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Fascinating. :boing:

http://www.synthanatomy.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/UB-Xa_P0XXX_Top-Front.jpg

A) That mockup photo was posted by another user, not Behringer.

B) They are at the initial stages of development, this is going to take a while.

C) Uli is starting to sound more like Elon Musk.

Busch.