Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2843303 - 03/20/17 10:30 PM play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac?
Ensenada Guide Offline

Loc: Baja Mexico Ensenada
I have played with a PC most of the Time as a Sound Module way, way ,way before people were using Main stage .
I m alone at it ?
what do you use and what platform?
I was using Pro tools,sample tank and soundfonts at the time.

Edited by Ensenada Guide (03/21/17 06:32 AM)
information on the twinity keyboard . smile

KC Island
#2843323 - 03/21/17 12:16 AM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: Ensenada Guide]
aronnelson Offline
Gold Member

A long time ago, I wrote a MIDI->Macro app (where did it go????). It maps program changes to macros and I used that to run Logic with soft synths. It worked until MainStage blew it away. I am trying MainStage now, but I could see how a small PC computer could be really great and not as $$$$ as a MacBook.

#2843330 - 03/21/17 02:51 AM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: aronnelson]
kwyn Offline

Kontakt on a surface pro 2 works for me.

#2843331 - 03/21/17 03:17 AM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: kwyn]
hardware Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
Gigastudio + Scope DSP Cards + 1ghz Coppermine
Still sounds great using Miraslav/Scarbee/East West

Now I use XITE-1 DSP + various 1U/4U PCs.
Kontakt PLAY Keyscape PianoTew u-He

But always used SE-1s FS1r and since 2011 Solaris.
No more VB3 but HX-3......

#2843360 - 03/21/17 06:33 AM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: hardware]
wd8dky Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicagoland
Win7 laptop (EliteBook 2560p upgraded with a quad core CPU, 16Gb RAN, and two SSDs). It only touches the Internet to activate new purchases. I've optimized it for audio applications, and it's been rock solid for me.

#2843406 - 03/21/17 08:33 AM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: aronnelson]
miden Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: aronnelson
.....I am trying MainStage now, but I could see how a small PC computer could be really great and not as $$$$ as a MacBook.

Ahhh, I thought development of UnrealBook had slowed a bit, apart from bug fixes. wink poke

#2843436 - 03/21/17 10:43 AM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: miden]
aronnelson Offline
Gold Member

Hahaha Miden, unrealBook has been working well for me for years. Most of the changes have been for multi-user wifi and the addition of the playBar.
Still working on it more than you might know. On beta version 1102!
But back to topic - got MainStage working - but so much easier to plug in one keyboard like the Kronos.

#2843474 - 03/21/17 01:09 PM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: aronnelson]
Pat Azzarello Offline
Gold Member

Loc: WA,UNITED STATES
Cantabile on a Lenovo X1 Carbon (i7)
Mainly us:
Kontakt (piano, clav and strings/brass)
Mostly Arturia stuff for synths
Lounge Lizard EP's
VB3 for organ

Almost have my rehearsal rig down to one trip to the car (I leave one keyboard, rack, cables and amps there, but bring my MOXF8 from home and have my laptop bag).

#2843486 - 03/21/17 02:17 PM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: Pat Azzarello]
3dog Offline

MacBook, Kontakt & Reaper

#2843517 - 03/21/17 04:15 PM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: 3dog]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
I like the experience using a Mac/MacBook Pro for this stuff. Hardware wise the onboard audio functions well as a low latency audio io with Mac OSX's core audio out of the box. You can pair it with a good DI box like the Radial ProAV1 - which will take your 3.5mm input and give you balanced outs to FOH. All the usual audio midi boxes work well with OSX if you need more professional connectors and feel they'll provide better latency or better ADDA. The Apogee stuff sounds great and is integrated nicely in Logic/Mainstage and OSX. The Duet will give you a pair of balanced outs. And obviously, can do double duty for recording with logic. If you really want to get into low latency audio on a Mac Book Pro it's time to look into the latest Thunderbolt interfaces - the Clarett range from Focusrite https://us.focusrite.com/clarett-range is looking pretty serious boasting 1.67ms latency (Logic Pro, Mac Pro, 32 buffer @ 96k). Will you be able to go 32 buffer on a multi gigabyte piano sample library with high polyphony and heavy pedal use? Shit, I dunno. But I am stoked to try! wink

Logic/MainStage is pretty compelling and cost friendly (well, of course, you just bought a Apple Mac and Apogee Duet) for live play and production. They come packed with instruments, sample libraries, loops, and FX. And most plugins you'd be interested to add to the setup come in all major formats anyway (VST, AU, AAX). Some nice mentions already....

A few I have my eye on.
B5 - https://www.acousticsamples.net/B5
NeoSoulKeys - http://gospelmusicians.com/neo-soul-keys-studio.html
and these two category wise are already covered in Logic/Mainstage - but if you are looking for something with a little more "character".
The stock acoustic pianos are nothing to write home about unforunately. So for sure you would want to supplement that.
Garritan CFX is really nice - https://www.garritan.com/products/

I have a mobile recording setup based around a Lenovo W7 series laptop (i7, 8gb RAM, Win7 64bit). But I have never used this rig for hosting virtual instruments live. It functions really well as a host for ProTools 11/12 and Adobe Premiere. Onboard audio card works pretty well with ASIO4ALL - http://www.asio4all.com when I'm editing. But when capturing I use a MOTU 828MkIII with USB. It does the job pretty stably. I definitely spent more setup time on this rig, working out little niggles, getting into DPC Latency checker to narrow down a wonky BlueTooth radio driver (which I disable when recording). Installing the MOTU driver took a few tries till I got it working right, but it's all good now and I do not mess with this rig. It's working and done. I recommend that for any machine you have working well and need reliable stable use! Ha ha.

#2843522 - 03/21/17 04:54 PM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: aronnelson]
miden Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: aronnelson
Hahaha Miden, unrealBook has been working well for me for years. Most of the changes have been for multi-user wifi and the addition of the playBar.
Still working on it more than you might know. On beta version 1102!
But back to topic - got MainStage working - but so much easier to plug in one keyboard like the Kronos.

haha yeah all good additions too Aron! Glad you took it in the spirit intended grin

#2843559 - 03/21/17 09:12 PM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: miden]
aronnelson Offline
Gold Member

Miden, I also found out that with my older MacBook 2010, although it doesn't have Bluetooth, I can use ADHOC wifi to control MainStage from unrealBook on the iPad. Very cool!

#2843560 - 03/21/17 09:47 PM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: aronnelson]
miden Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Cool - I have been thinking about trying a small macbook (yeah I know traitorous words) as it seems many folks swear by them for not only live work but also as a dedicated studio machine.

So, then keeping the windows desktop for just general computing games and internet.

#2843599 - 03/22/17 06:23 AM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: miden]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
I've done it with both. My business is computer networking and service.
Either PC or Mac can be made to work well. The advantage of Mac OS is that things have much more of a tendency to "just work." This doesn't seem important at first - like "why spend the extra $$ for Mac," but I just plain got really tired on my Windows DAW(s) of getting everything working just right, then adding an additional VST - and all of a sudden a number of things which had been working well quit, and it was necessary to spend time finding out just what broke it.

That is the thing I love about using an iPad as a Sound Module. Buy iPad, buy software, buy needed cables - plug it together - works (there are some adjustments but the ease is outstanding.

Also, if one does not need full DAW capability (as in use as a sound module), there is nothing in the Windows market that even begins to compete with the $29 plus tax price of MainStage. If you go Mac, before even considering buying any other software, get MainStage and explore to see just which parts are "good enough" for what you want to do. (Actually, when I consider the price of a competitive Windows notebook PLUS the software needed to get pro level emulation of a number of instruments VS the cost of Macbook Pro and MainStage, plus maybe a FEW other software items - the difference becomes considerably more narrow.

I got into Mac the "cheap" way with a 2011 Mini used, and using my existing PC keyboard, mouse, and display. Since then, I've added a 2011 Macbook Pro. Oh - did I mention that I did not have to buy a second copy of MainStage? Apple licenses most of their (their own, not third party) software for use on up to 5 computers.
Jim

#2843621 - 03/22/17 07:47 AM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
CaptainUnderpant Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Long Beach, CA
PC, Win 10 and Cantabile 3.0. The new version of Cantabile is awesome, can't say enough good stuff about it. Infinitely flexible and capable.

System: Small form factor mini-itx board with 10" touch screen, Core i7 CPU, 32GB Ram, Samsung 960 M.2 SSD. RME Fireface UCX interface.
Favorite VST's: Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, Omnishpere, OPX-II, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, Pianoteq, Zebra

#2843630 - 03/22/17 08:17 AM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: CaptainUnderpant]
hardware Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
I've got Cantabile but never get enough down time to rebuild projects.
D.Robinson is sure fast to answer questions so I'm looking forward to migrating from 10 years of satisfaction from Bidule.
Main reason is my audio interface is having issues with Windows 10/ASIO/port audio 64.
I'm fine with Windows 7 since they released NVMe drivers once they made billions.
But Windows 10 has features I want.
I'm years behind the curve.
With that comes stability though...

Looking forward to Cantabile 3.0.

#2843665 - 03/22/17 11:21 AM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: hardware]
aronnelson Offline
Gold Member

Things are even better with the $329 new iPad. I wonder how it well it works as a module?

#2844144 - 03/23/17 07:28 PM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: aronnelson]
Ensenada Guide Offline

Loc: Baja Mexico Ensenada
Yes !! i have that same question!!
information on the twinity keyboard . smile

#2844155 - 03/23/17 08:17 PM Re: play Live computer as a sound module do you use PC or Mac? [Re: Ensenada Guide]
dougb415 Offline

Loc: Summertown TN
I have been using the same 13" Macbook since 2009, but it might be time to upgrade to something newer / 64 bit.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner