Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2843290 - 03/20/17 09:47 PM MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern
engineerjoel Offline

I am now a proud owner a new MOJO 61. The build quality is incredibly awesome. I love the wooden side panels and the way they are cut. Very easy to grip and pick up. The weight is just right. You can really dig into the keyboard without feeling you’re going push it off the back of the stand. The keybed is the BEST! Feels natural playing the organ and then switching of the E.P. or Wurly or even the A.P.

Anyway, the real reason I’m posting is to get some feedback on two areas that I’m concerned about:
(1) all the notes in the top octave C-C are a bit louder than the rest of the keyboard and tend to be shreekish sounding. As I play a chromatically starting for the lowest C, all the notes are very smooth sounding up until I hit the 5th “C” and then, the last octave of notes jump up in volume. Not to be confused…I’m not saying each note is getting louder then the next…all the notes jump up in volume evenly for the last octave. Grabbing any 3-to-4 note chord within this octave, you better have your left hand on the volume control to ride the level. It’s seems that the key scaling is out of calibration. Would this issue be fixable? My Studiologic Numa Organ is very smooth sounding the entire 5-octave range and no shreeeky sounding on the top end.

(2). It seems that the middle section of drawbars (in particular drawbars 4,5,6,7) don’t ‘speak’ as loudly as all the rest of drawbars. For instance, I’ll push in all the drawbars and hold a C-Chord. Starting with the 16’ drawbar, I pull each one out. Once I get the 16’, 5-1/3’, and 8’ pulled out, I don’t hear any sensible audio change for the 4’, 2-2/3, 2’ or 1-3/5’ until each drawbar is about 80% pulled out. Again, this seems like a calibration issue. Hopefully this can be corrected. And again, all the drawbars on the NUMA respond extremely accurately…very musical sounding.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Edited by engineerjoel (03/20/17 09:49 PM)

KC Island
#2843308 - 03/20/17 11:00 PM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: engineerjoel]
mate stubb Online   content
10k Club

All that is adjustable. Hook up an iPad to it.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2843309 - 03/20/17 11:11 PM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: mate stubb]
Barryjam Offline

Loc: Auburn, Northern CA
Hmmm. I kept on reading reports that the Mojo sounded close to perfect, right out of the box.

Home: Steinway L, Bob Schleicher A100 chop, 142 Leslie.

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Nord Electro 4D 61, Ventilator II. Sound System: A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 speakers

#2843310 - 03/20/17 11:16 PM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Barryjam]
10k Club

Define perfect. Your "too shrill on the top octave" might be my "cuts thru nicely on the top octave."

If you are not playing with your foot on the swell pedal, you are not playing organ with any dynamics.

#2843314 - 03/20/17 11:32 PM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: mate stubb]
Barryjam Offline

Loc: Auburn, Northern CA
I think my Electro 4D is too shrill in the top octave (bandmates and I cringe), and I never experience this on my A100. Same player and same expression technique. Reviewers and players kept saying that the Mojo had a more warm analog satisfying sound right out of the box. I'm tempted to get a Mojo61. OP's remarks were a little surprising to me.

Home: Steinway L, Bob Schleicher A100 chop, 142 Leslie.

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Nord Electro 4D 61, Ventilator II. Sound System: A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 speakers

#2843319 - 03/20/17 11:50 PM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Barryjam]
10k Club

I don't disagree that the Mojo 61s might be coming in the box a little hot at the top. It really varies with amplification wildly although I have to admit mine was the same.

There are several ways to tame that, but Mojo is a tweaker's playground. You may or may not enjoy that I guess!

#2843326 - 03/21/17 12:46 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: mate stubb]
John Tweed Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
The Mojo rotary effect tends to make some notes in the top octave scream a bit. Try turning the simulation off and see if you still have the same problem. I went back to using the Vent with my dual manual Mojo for this reason.

#2843352 - 03/21/17 05:58 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: John Tweed]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
I had a similar experience as you with the Gemini module (Mojo in a table top module). Here is what I noticed:

• I don’t get that last octave scream nearly as much when I run it through my Motion sound LowPro/Pro3T, so I attributed it to the internal leslie
• In the effects section I adjusted the leslie ‘balance’ more towards the low rotor (i.e. less horn). Adjust to taste to get the top octave more mellow
• I adjusted the Horn “EQ”. For me this was the Ah Hah!

For the drawbars, in the edit engine section:

• In the drawbar trimming section I mapped the loudness of each drawbar (pulled full out) with my B3’s loudness. I noticed that the 5 1/3’ drawbar was louder on the Gemini than my B3’s 5 1/3 but the 1’ drawbar wasn’t as loud as my B3. So I adjusted the trim of each drawbar so that they matched drawbar to drawbar running the Gemini into its internal leslie. So the comparison for adjustment was my B3/122 against my Gemini w/ internal leslie. I did this because I knew that was how I was going to use the Gemini module (i.e. not use the Vent nor Motion Sound during a gig).

• I did the same thing above but ran the Gemini through the Vent and made the drawbar trimming adjustments. I then saved two versions, one for when I use the internal leslie and one for when I use the Vent.

The other thing you might try is:

In the edit engine, try a different generator. There are 22 different organs, each one has drawbar trimmings and scream factors that are different than the other. The Mojo is defaulted to #1, but perhaps you don’t like that generator. Try a different generator (I’m using a ’61 A-101?). I picked that one because it had a warm tone, then adjusted the drawbars and leslie to my taste. Perfect out of the box is one person’s perception of the sound. Perhaps perfect out of the box for you is an early 70’s generator in which I would say is too bright for my ears. My B3 is a ’57 so it is warmer sounding than a late 60’s/early 70’s. Try the adjustments and I think you’ll be more than satisfied.

#2843355 - 03/21/17 06:20 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: mate stubb]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Define perfect. Your "too shrill on the top octave" might be my "cuts thru nicely on the top octave."

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
It really varies with amplification wildly

...as is the case with any instrument. You can be using a small combo amp, single powered cab or a state of the art PA - the sound is going to be way different. JBLs do not sound like EVs. Even someone with a QSC K8 is going to get a different sound than someone with a K12.

There's also where you out the amp in the room and the room itself - the latter two are one of the reasons that I check sound design on headphones.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • TK Audio • Electronic Musician

#2843374 - 03/21/17 07:12 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Dave Bryce]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Is it possible something can be less than perfect with a Mojo?

noblevibes.com

#2843383 - 03/21/17 07:24 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Outkaster]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Outkaster

A better question might be is it possible anything can be perfect with any instrument What does "perfect" mean, anyway? confused

There are sounds I love that others hate. There are interfaces that are intuitive and simple to me that others find confusing. There are keybeds I think rock that others find unplayable.

How can anyone be "wrong" about any of these things? idk

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • TK Audio • Electronic Musician

#2843387 - 03/21/17 07:33 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Dave Bryce]
drawback Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria, BC Canada
The OP might like Mitch's tonewheel set.

#2843412 - 03/21/17 08:54 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Dave Bryce]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce

A better question might be is it possible anything can be perfect with any instrument What does "perfect" mean, anyway?

He's busting balls. That's his poke back for all of the Hammond haters. After all, anything else is just a clone.

#2843416 - 03/21/17 09:06 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Delaware Dave]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
I made similar observation here with my evaluation of the HX3.

Personally I wouldn't consider a clone that doesn't allow for these kind of adjustments - whether you need it or not.

#2843417 - 03/21/17 09:06 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: John Tweed]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: John Tweed
The Mojo rotary effect tends to make some notes in the top octave scream a bit.

You say that like it's a bad thing. idk

#2843429 - 03/21/17 10:24 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Outkaster]
Mitch Towne Offline
Gold Member

Is it possible for you to just not comment when you have nothing of value to add?

#2843431 - 03/21/17 10:29 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Mitch Towne]
Mitch Towne Offline
Gold Member

For the original poster, here are two big pieces of advice:

1. Try different tonewheel sets. There are 22 modeled organs in the Mojo and they really are different. Some are very full and cut (like the default setting), others are more mellow. Some are fuller in the bass, some have a bit of a midrange scoop. For me, this is one of the best features of the Mojo. I use different sets for different gigs and amplification systems.

2. Definitely try the different "Tonewheel Scaling" settings. There are theee boosts and three cuts. Try cut 3.

#2843432 - 03/21/17 10:30 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Delaware Dave]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I love my Mojo 61 out of the box, much better than SK-1 was. Better clarity and saxophone like legato, better C/V, Rotary, etc.
Better to be too hot than too dull at the top. I like it that way because it's easier to subtract and harder to boost with EQ. Of course Every speaker/amp and environment will behave differently.
An easy panel adjustment would be to decrease the Treble and boost the Low and Mid EQ. I think the top end is fine as is with my powered EV Sxa360 speakers.
The only edit I've wanted to make was to swap the Phaser for the Chorus modeled after the great Roland RD 1000/MKS 20 Chorus for EP. I find the Chorus on EP more sublime than the Phaser, which sounds dated to me.

Seek perfect imperfection.

#2843437 - 03/21/17 10:43 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Mitch Towne]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

smile
Which tone wheel set does 1958 "The Sermon" the best?

#2843451 - 03/21/17 11:41 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Jazz+]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: Jazz+
I think the top end is fine as is with my powered EV Sxa360 speakers.

and how much do you want for those? Another poor equipment related mistake selling my pair. Best speakers I have ever played through.

#2843456 - 03/21/17 11:59 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: HammondDave]
engineerjoel Offline

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions.

I have only had the MOJO for two days and did not realize that there were so many cool edible parameters..via the software. I've yet to have time to use my iPad to log into the MOJO to snoop around to see what changes are possible.

My original post was not intended to be a slash/cut against the MOJO as I really do believe its a great sounding beast. If anyone is even considering the MOJO, I would say go-for-it. OH...wait..not yet! I I'm selling my NUMA on EBay. Maybe you'll like that organ as well! smile

Because the engine is sofware-driven (1's and 0's) if figured there had to be a way to agitate a few bits-&-bytes to personalize the sound.

Though, hopefully before my Numa sells, I'm planning to post an A/B comparison video between the MOJO and NUMA.

#2843548 - 03/21/17 06:59 PM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: engineerjoel]
jeffnkrn Offline

I have the Numa. Funny when I bought it, I thought it had the VB3 engine in it. I was disappointed at first to find out it did not have it, but once I starting playing it I really enjoyed it. That was two - three years ago and I still have it. I know the Mojo has the updated software.
I would love to see a video comparing the Numa (original) and Mojo! Bring it on!

#2843595 - 03/22/17 06:08 AM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Mitch Towne]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Mitch Towne

Is it possible for you to just not comment when you have nothing of value to add?

Sorry Mitch I was just busting balls..

noblevibes.com

#2843679 - 03/22/17 12:15 PM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: Outkaster]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I always did like the smoothness of the top octave on the Numa 1. After all the years of people trying to tame shrillness by using outboard preamps etc.etc., it was nice to have something sound good right out of the box.

I never had problems cutting through a mix or any of that. In reality the Mojo may sound more like a Hammond / Leslie combination becauuse many tonewheel organs really do cut in the upper register. I often find myself backing off on the expression pedal up there,whereas to me the Numa has always been nicely balanced - no need to tweak.

#2843681 - 03/22/17 12:48 PM Re: MOJO61-- Two Areas Of Concern [Re: LX88]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Is it just me or is the high B the brightest one up there?

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner