Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2843091 - 03/20/17 10:42 AM I just got some new stuff
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

Over the weekend, I picked up a package deal from a friend. I bought an Alvarez model PD80SC acoustic/electric guitar; a 1982 American made Fender Strat with a Kahler tremelo, EMG pickups, and a Fender Squire C shape neck; and a Line 6 Spider IV 2x12 120 watts amp. The amp is one of those solid state amps loaded with all kinds of goodies like effects, amp and cabinet simulators, and enough features to make it sound like almost any amp out there.

The Fender Strat doesn't do a thing for me. I played it for maybe two minutes total before putting it down and going back to the Alvarez. The Alvarez is a really nice looking and sounding guitar, and although I really have no need for it, I think I'm going to keep it. And that brings me to the important part. I paid $800 for everything, and I'm thinking I should be able to get $800 for the Strat and the Line 6 amp, thus making the Alvarez a free guitar. I like free.

Since the headstock clearly says Fender Squire, how do I show people that the body really is an American made Fender Stratocaster? It has a cream white colored body that now has a slight yellowish tint to it after 35 years. The EMG pickups have no individual pole pieces, and are black, sitting in a three layer (white black white) pickguard with eleven screw holes. Your comments and suggestions are very welcome.

GP Island
#2843093 - 03/20/17 10:45 AM Re: I just got some new stuff [Re: Sharkman]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

Oh, one more thing. No, I do not have the original neck. The original owner lost it after replacing it with the Squire neck that fit his hand better.

#2843118 - 03/20/17 12:24 PM Re: I just got some new stuff [Re: Sharkman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
Sounds like you made a great deal Sharkman! Free is always fun! thu

Edited by Larryz (03/20/17 12:30 PM)

#2843131 - 03/20/17 01:36 PM Re: I just got some new stuff [Re: Sharkman]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Sharkman
Over the weekend, I picked up a package deal from a friend. I bought an Alvarez model PD80SC acoustic/electric guitar; a 1982 American made Fender Strat with a Kahler tremelo, EMG pickups, and a Fender Squire C shape neck; and a Line 6 Spider IV 2x12 120 watts amp. The amp is one of those solid state amps loaded with all kinds of goodies like effects, amp and cabinet simulators, and enough features to make it sound like almost any amp out there.

Nice haul...

The Fender Strat doesn't do a thing for me. I played it for maybe two minutes total before putting it down and going back to the Alvarez. The Alvarez is a really nice looking and sounding guitar, and although I really have no need for it, I think I'm going to keep it. And that brings me to the important part....

OK, glad that you like the Alvarez flat-top acoustic; I presume that you can take-or-leave the Line 6 Spider IV, then... ?

The Fender Strat doesn't do a thing for me. I played it for maybe two minutes total before putting it down...

I paid $800 for everything, and I'm thinking I should be able to get $800 for the Strat and the Line 6 amp, thus making the Alvarez a free guitar. I like free.

Yes, Free is good, and Free Guitars are particularly good, right? twothumbs

Since the headstock clearly says Fender Squire, how do I show people that the body really is an American made Fender Stratocaster? It has a cream white colored body that now has a slight yellowish tint to it after 35 years. The EMG pickups have no individual pole pieces, and are black, sitting in a three layer (white black white) pickguard with eleven screw holes. Your comments and suggestions are very welcome.

How did the seller convince you of his veracity and the validity of this being an American made Fender Stratocaster model, albeit with a Squire neck swapped for the original Fender neck?

Did the seller show you any provenance such as an owner's manual, receipts, tags, etc? Or the inside of neck-pocket and any clues stamped there, etc?

Bear in mind that if this guitar made such a mediocre impression on YOU to start with, it probably will for any other prospective buyers. Though perhaps a good set-up and a set of fresh strings might improve that...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2843142 - 03/20/17 02:13 PM Re: I just got some new stuff [Re: Sharkman]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
@Sharkman - Can't really help resolve the Fender issue for you, unless there's a mark inside the neck cavity to show that it's a Fender body? Might be worth checking for a date & initials, I think they were still signing them in '82 . . .

I can tell you that the Alvarez is well worth hanging on to. I used to sell this line of Alvarez Guitars, and liked them enough to get a 12-string for myself. You've got a solid back & top, and it should play in nicely over time. FWIW, they're nice-looking Guitars, too.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2843225 - 03/20/17 05:27 PM Re: I just got some new stuff [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A receipt would be God on the American Fender Strat body as somebody had to buy the guitar to begin with! I would never put a Squire neck on a USA made Fender unless it came from Japan a few decades ago (and that info will show up if you research the serial numbers on the neck). I would have gone with a Warmoth neck with an ebony or maple fretboard if I wanted to upgrade the neck. The only logical excuse for the swap would be a totally warped neck on the MIA that just needed replacing and the guy got a great deal on the Squire replacement IMHO. Maybe there are ways to tell if it was MIA, by taking it to one of those collector techs as there are books on the parts subject...The neck numbers are not going to match the body (even if there are any). cool

Edited by Larryz (03/20/17 05:35 PM)

#2843277 - 03/20/17 08:59 PM Re: I just got some new stuff [Re: Larryz]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

I bought the guitars and amp from a friend of mine whom I've known for years, so I know I can trust him completely. He bought the guitars and amp from some professional musician he knew. By the way, I also got a couple soft guitar cases, straps, guitar to amp cables, picks, string winder, Snark tuner, and two guitar stands. So it was a nice package deal.

I'll have to take the neck off and see what I can see in the pocket. I know, I wish I had the original neck, but it's not going to show up in the foreseeable future. Still, if you like Fender Strats, it's a really nice guitar.

I wish I didn't like that Alvarez, though. I really don't need a second six string acoustic guitar, but it looks and sounds so nice, I'm going to have to keep this one.

#2843325 - 03/21/17 12:41 AM Re: I just got some new stuff [Re: Sharkman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@ Sharkman, I'm full up on Strats (still have 3 black and white USA's with EMG setups with Ebony, Maple and Rosewood fretboards). I'll have to get them out of the closet and change the batteries now! If you were going to keep it, it would be nice to go with a Warmoth neck. I have a buddy that put one on a Nasville Tele and it plays sweeeeeet! Anyway, it sounds like you made a pretty good haul. You'll have to open a guitar shop LOL! cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose