Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2843250 - 03/20/17 07:33 PM This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon
CEB Offline
10k Club

Radio station wants us to play on a float in a a State Fair parade. I want to go super bowl and lip sync to some if our live recordings. We record audio at every gig. Illinois roads suck.

KC Island
#2843252 - 03/20/17 07:42 PM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: CEB]
FJR Online   content

Loc: SF Bay

That should be exciting!

The closest I had to that was on a HornBlower cruise in the SF Bay! Fortunately I was in a corner, and could lean against a beam! crazy

#2843255 - 03/20/17 07:55 PM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: FJR]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Let us know how they handle sounds.
Battery operated PA?
Gas powered generator?
Will you lip sync and mine to a recording of yourselves?
Curious how this one will go.

#2843256 - 03/20/17 07:58 PM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: CEB]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: CEB
I want to go super bowl

Yes. Yes you do. cool

Jethro Tull

#2843257 - 03/20/17 07:59 PM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: ElmerJFudd]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
I do a lot of gigs like that, except it's the opposite: I play in one place, and a bunch of people immediately drive away.

#2843291 - 03/20/17 09:47 PM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: MathOfInsects]
FunkKeyStuff Offline
Platinum Member

Dude. I've played on parade floats in New Orleans. If you don't know what that means in terms of road conditions, then clearly you've never been here. You'll be fine.

#2843301 - 03/20/17 10:25 PM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Columbia River Gorge, US
Rodeos and fairs usually know how to do this, and provide adequate onboard generators. Bring power conditioners, and run laptops (if any) off batteries.

I've done this. Last time was about six years ago on a float sponsored by a club we were playing. Smiling and pretending you're having a good time is as important as playing - and it can be difficult as you're hanging onto your equipment for dear life. Floats tend to lurch around - especially when they make an unplanned stop. And that happens all the time on a parade route.

#2843324 - 03/21/17 12:25 AM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: Bill H.]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Ed, I was supposed to play the Cottleville St. pat's parade on a float March 11. With the 30 deg temps and for casts of snow, they backed out, and I have to say I'm a bit relieved they did. Believe it or not, I've played on floats before....dating back to my college days in Rolla at St. Pats (hmmm, now that I'm typing this, a theme seems to be developing).

Just make sure you have a stable stand, they have an adequate generator, and don't forget to bring your UPS.

As for the bumps, I've had worse on stationary stages with a lot of bounce.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2843376 - 03/21/17 07:13 AM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: J. Dan]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Thanks guys!

#2843377 - 03/21/17 07:17 AM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: J. Dan]
Shamanzarek Offline

Loc: NJ
My first adventure playing on a float - actually a trailer behind a truck with a loud intermittently working gas generator - was in 1970 for the Dory Days Parade in Pacific City, Oregon. This was when I first started playing keys in a band and my parents let me take out our Wurlitzer home organ. The band was promoting a concert later that evening at a popular teen dance club in a quonset hut called The Dunes by the Sea. Our drummer forgot his cymbals and had to drive back to Salem to get them. Our singer filled in on drums as we played the solo section of "Light My Fire" over and over minus cymbals. Then as we circled back to town on a curvy road through a forested area we narrowly missed and witnessed a head on collision. One car flew through the air and landed upside down in a ravine and a lady was killed in the other. The Dory Days Parade continues to this day but the Dunes is long gone.

In the early 2000"s I did several Q104 Cruise Around Manhattan gigs hosted by DJ Maria Molito. The band got lots of free advertising on the station. A fun gig but takes a while to get your sea legs on a rocking boat.

Then there was the Princeton University Homecoming where we represented the Class of 69 cruising around the campus on the back of a flatbed truck playing Woodstock era music.

#2843384 - 03/21/17 07:30 AM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: Shamanzarek]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria, BC Canada
I did a parade when I was 16 - ragtime piano on an ancient upright. On the way back to the we hit a pothole and I hit my head on the piano when the old stool spun me around. I guess no concussion 'cause I can still recall coming to.

#2843391 - 03/21/17 07:47 AM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: drawback]
tnelson Offline

Loc: Northern California
Here's a link to a fun video taken from a flatbed truck on which the band Moonalice is rolling and playing in the Mill Valley CA Memorial Day Parade last year. Nice view of the band, the folks lining the road, and many interesting sites and Marin County characters along the way. It's a trip in both senses of the word.
http://www.moonalice.com/tour/2016-05-30/mill-valley-memorial-day-parade

#2843397 - 03/21/17 08:25 AM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: tnelson]
hatricklov Offline

Loc: CO
I did this two different years in college, both were solo gigs with just me (music-wise) playing my keyboard on our fraternity's float for the homecoming parade. We were on a flatbed pulled by a semi, and used a gas-powered generator, creatively hidden by other float decorations.

One year was a western theme, we built a saloon and a shell for my keyboard to look like an old upright to play ragtime music. The other year was an island theme and the shell was made to look like steel drums, so I played steel drum music.

I was in college, so I'm guessing I felt bulletproof and didn't worry any about risks to my gear. I don't recall having any issues either year.

#2843418 - 03/21/17 09:09 AM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: hatricklov]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Do NOT bring a tonewheel organ. Unless you want to hear it moooo.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2843424 - 03/21/17 09:54 AM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: mate stubb]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Don't forget to Velcro the bottom of the keyboard to the top of the stand.

#2843426 - 03/21/17 10:10 AM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: MathOfInsects]
BluMunk Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Burlington, VT
Been there and done that. With a loud gas generator near by, crowds shouting (for the parade, not for us specifically), and limited space on the float for adequate monitoring (and all PA stuff pointing out and away), it was pretty impossible for me to hear what I was playing/singing. So, a sub-optimal set-up for sound (and, at least in my situation, we didn't really have much/any time to set-up in advance and do some real-world sound checking. And once the parade was going, all you could do was play).

Make sure you don't have speakers mounted up on poles (or on anything) without the whole thing being secured to the rig somehow. Also make sure that you have every piece of your set-up in sight and within reach at all times, in case you have to steady/catch anything.

Tape anything down that you don't want to move.

#2843435 - 03/21/17 10:42 AM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: CEB]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Loc: MN, U.S.
That isn't as bad as it could be. I live in Minnesota in a town with REALLY bad paved roads (there is no excuse for this). My church had a Bluegrass Festival float in the Fourth of July parade about some years ago. It was basically an old hay wagon with a lot of hay bales and an amp or two (for vocals?). They had an entire 7-piece(?) bluegrass band up there performing for two hours in 86F humid weather. Keep in mind, everyone basically sat on hay bales and tried to stay steady while they played as the truck went around turns, etc.. The trailer had hay bales all around the outside perimeter as well and most of the band was up against the vertical back panel, so I suppose that helped. I was only one of the people who hands out flyers and freezes, so I got to watch everything that happened.

As I mentioned, the roads here are terrible, even though my town supposedly has one of the largest Fourth of July celebrations in the entire Midwest. Potholes everywhere some years, and this last year a section of one of the main streets was starting to cave in right before the parade.

Anyway, I agree with the poster who said to fasten everything down.

Have fun.

Titano Virtuoso Converter accordion, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370. Kimball Valencia/Broadway organs-late 70's/early 80's, Shure SM-57.

#2843438 - 03/21/17 10:44 AM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: hatricklov]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Originally Posted By: hatricklov

... an island theme and the shell was made to look like steel drums, so I played steel drum music...

How did they make a steel drum keyboard shell???? shocked shocked

Titano Virtuoso Converter accordion, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370. Kimball Valencia/Broadway organs-late 70's/early 80's, Shure SM-57.

#2843470 - 03/21/17 12:55 PM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
hatricklov Offline

Loc: CO
Originally Posted By: Mighty Motif Max

... an island theme and the shell was made to look like steel drums, so I played steel drum music...

It was more of a box, painted to look like steel drums from the outside... just to create the illusion.

#2843495 - 03/21/17 02:47 PM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: hatricklov]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
It worked for the Stones!

#2843505 - 03/21/17 03:05 PM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: Joe Muscara]
Shamanzarek Offline

Loc: NJ
And AC/DC:

#2843512 - 03/21/17 03:55 PM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: Shamanzarek]
CowboyNQ Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
And The Oils, although this is cheating because the truck's not moving...

Disclaimer: Posted for flatbed truck content, not political content!

#2843516 - 03/21/17 04:09 PM Re: This gig may be a first. Playing on a moving wagon [Re: hatricklov]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Originally Posted By: Mighty Motif Max

It was more of a box, painted to look like steel drums from the outside... just to create the illusion.

Neat. cool

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner