Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2843125 - 03/20/17 01:07 PM 500K Volume pedals?
CEB Offline
10k Club

My guitar volume pedal is an Ernie Ball VP Jr. It uses a 250k pot. With the changes in music I've went to a guitar with a high output humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck position. Now when I back off the volume pedal the tone gets dark on the guitar. I never noticed this with my Telecasters.

My first thought was to replace the pot with the Goodrich 120 replacement pot I installed in my pedal steel volume pedal. BUT... The EB uses a mini pot and drilling out the EB and getting the new pot installed is going to be a serious PIA. Neither me nor my tech wants to do it.

I am looking for a Volume pedal with a 500K pot. No larger than the EB VP Jr. Preferably $70-100.

So far it appears the Dunlops and the Fender is 250K.

Any ideas?

Thanks

GP Island
#2843145 - 03/20/17 02:22 PM Re: 500K Volume pedals? [Re: CEB]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Only thing I'm seeing with a 500K pot is an EB Stereo Volume pedal, nearly twice as much as you want to spend.

Boss/Roland offers a couple of high-impedance Volume pedals, right around $100, but I'm unsure about the pot values?

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2843156 - 03/20/17 02:41 PM Re: 500K Volume pedals? [Re: Winston Psmith]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Doesn't seem like it should be too hard to find a 500k pot that fits. Have you tried sites like digikey.com? They have 100's of 500k pots of various sizes even after filtering all of the criteria I knew to filter - like carbon, panel mount, single turn, etc. If you filter further by shaft diameter, length and type (slotted/flat/knurled) and mounting hole size, you'll likely find what you need.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2843166 - 03/20/17 02:57 PM Re: 500K Volume pedals? [Re: J. Dan]
Caevan O'Shite Online   content
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
You might try installing a very inexpensive "treble-bypass-cap-and-resistor" or "treble bleed" circuit across the existing volume pot, to keep more highs from being shunted to ground as you reduce the volume? Try installing it temporarily with little alligator-clips instead of soldering at first, to find out if you like the resulting sound and taper-alteration, and perhaps experiment with various cap and resistor values...

For example:

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2843171 - 03/20/17 03:03 PM Re: 500K Volume pedals? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Thanks. You would think I could find a pot that fits. Tom Bradshaw and my local amp guy says there isn't one. Maybe they just say Ernie Ball doesn't have one and they don't feel like hunting.

The treble bleed circuit sounds like a good idea. I will have to see what Ernie Ball has in the circuit.

Edited by CEB (03/20/17 03:04 PM)

#2843226 - 03/20/17 05:30 PM Re: 500K Volume pedals? [Re: CEB]
20k Club

Come to think of it, if I understand correctly, you can also simply add resistors to the ground leg or hot leg to increase the resistance value to what you want... as long as you have room, as well... Though I think that you can get by with pretty small/low-watt resistors...

A combination of added serial resistor(s) and a "treble-bleed" cap & resistor could let you really custom-tailor your volume-pedal... !

#2843280 - 03/20/17 09:09 PM Re: 500K Volume pedals? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...CFQyffgodM9cOvA <--- Here's a 500K mini volume pedal by DOD...$99.00 cool

Edited by Larryz (03/20/17 09:10 PM)

#2843378 - 03/21/17 07:17 AM Re: 500K Volume pedals? [Re: Larryz]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Thanks That little DOD looks cool. If nothing else I can just pull the Ernie Ball off my board and set my Goodrich L120 beside my board and use that until the DOD is available. I'm not playing and steel gigs right now. The Goodrich is too big to fit in the pedal case and since it is designed for steel all the jacks are on the right side of the pedal. But it works well.

Edited by CEB (03/21/17 07:20 AM)

#2843381 - 03/21/17 07:21 AM Re: 500K Volume pedals? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
Come to think of it, if I understand correctly, you can also simply add resistors to the ground leg or hot leg to increase the resistance value to what you want... as long as you have room, as well... Though I think that you can get by with pretty small/low-watt resistors...

A combination of added serial resistor(s) and a "treble-bleed" cap & resistor could let you really custom-tailor your volume-pedal... !

Thanks Kevin.

Edited by CEB (03/21/17 07:21 AM)

#2843392 - 03/21/17 07:48 AM Re: 500K Volume pedals? [Re: CEB]
20k Club

Originally Posted By: CEB
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite

Thanks Kevin.

You're most welcome!

Now, is there any reason- such as fuzz-pedals or somethin'- that you wouldn't want an active, optical volume-pedal?

Besides their usual transparency and scratchiness-free clarity, I ask because I have and love LOVE love a Rockman RV-1 Volume (Michalik design/Czech republic, nothing to do with Tom Scholz' co. or products), which uses an optical circuit instead of a potentiometer.

These can sometimes be found and bought quite cheaply.

It is about as solidly built as ANY effects-pedal I have ever seen (I got mine around six years ago for a mere ten-spot, and it's still going strong without a hitch!), and is a very smooth, clean, quiet, transparent, unobtrusive volume-pedal. It is fairly compact, as well, particularly for a volume-pedal.

This make and model is long out of production; but the good news is that they can be found dirt cheap- when you find one, their going-rate seems to be around forty or fifty bucks. (They may be turning up less and less often now, but they're out there.)

_____________ (Here's one wrapped in plastic)

The bad news (that's really not so bad) is that it uses an oddball sized jack for external 9v power-supplies, which is also pin-positive. It wouldn't be too hard to replace the jack and reverse its polarity by one means or 'nother, but I simply used a 9v battery snap-cap adapter with a standard PS jack on the other end, fed through the hole where the oddball jack was, which is now taped-off and secured inside the case.

#2843610 - 03/22/17 07:14 AM Re: 500K Volume pedals? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I have no problems using optical. The Volume pedal is the last pedal on my board so there is no issues with it changing the character of the sound by being pre-dirt boxes.

The biggest limitation is board space. I don't want to have to get a bigger pedal case. I have some 9v battery snap-cap adapters for my supply I don't use.

#2843645 - 03/22/17 09:24 AM Re: 500K Volume pedals? [Re: CEB]
20k Club

Originally Posted By: CEB
The biggest limitation is board space. I don't want to have to get a bigger pedal case. I have some 9v battery snap-cap adapters for my supply I don't use.

Including the treadle-bolts and hardware for the In and Out jacks, my Rockman RV-1 is about 4" wide by 9.5" long by 2" high.

Good hunting! I hope you can find one- I'm sure it'd serve you well, but they aren't turning up for sale in searches like they were not long ago. If you find one, it will probably be a GREAT bargain for an excellent optical volume-pedal! I love mine, I can work it VERY rapidly and deftly for intricate volume-swell action!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose