Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2843192 - 03/20/17 03:49 PM Kurzweil PC361
smanzella Offline

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
I just traded my Yamaha DX7IIFD with Grey Matter E! Kit for a Kurzweil PC361 in Perfect Condition. I put the DX7 up for sale on Craigslist and someone offered to trade their PC361 for it. My original intent was to liquidate the DX7 and some other pieces in order to buy a Mojo 61. I have not played the DX7 in ages but I did change the battery and reload the E! software. This offer came along and I thought it might be a good idea to take advantage of it. I can still buy the Mojo 61 as money is not the issue so much as space is. Did I get a good deal? Where does the PC361 sit in the Kurzweil hierarchy? Would you have done the same? The last Kurzweil board I bought was a PC1SE which I still have and play daily.

Scott

KC Island
#2843193 - 03/20/17 03:52 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: smanzella]
aronnelson Offline
Gold Member

The PC361 is a really good keyboard. It's been replaced by the PC3K which can add samples. I really liked playing mine.

#2843211 - 03/20/17 04:45 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: aronnelson]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
snax

wink

#2843213 - 03/20/17 04:49 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: aronnelson]
davedoerfler Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: aronnelson
The PC361 is a really good keyboard.

As long as it stays working. I understand replacement parts are impossible to get.

Jethro Tull

#2843229 - 03/20/17 05:55 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: davedoerfler]
raffkey Offline

Love mine and prefer the KB organ voices and leslie sim over my Roland VR 09 and Vent..

#2843261 - 03/20/17 08:03 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: raffkey]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Great pick... fantastic all around board that really exemplifies how much ground you can cover with sample libraries and creative programming. Funny how you traded off the very board- Yamaha DX7IIFD with Grey Matter E! - that was the topic of a recent nostalgia thread. It's like picking a wife, the timing has to be just right. Enjoy your time together and my best to you both! smile

#2843262 - 03/20/17 08:05 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: davedoerfler]
aronnelson Offline
Gold Member

I wasn't aware that parts were hard to come by. Bummer.

#2843265 - 03/20/17 08:22 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: smanzella]
Crazyfoo Offline

You made out like a bandit with that trade.
I have the PC3X, same keyboard just 88 weighted keys.
I wouldn't trade mine for half a dozen DX7's.

#2843268 - 03/20/17 08:32 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: Crazyfoo]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
When you get your Pc361 (if you don't already have it), first thing you might want to do is check the pitch bend wheel.

Play any patch that has pitch bend enabled, and make sure after you bend pitch (and the wheel returns to zero) that the resulting pitch of the keyboard actually returns to zero as well.

One of the recurring issues with this board (which is still unfixed on mine) is failure to return to zero pitch. I believe there's a pot that goes bad, needs to be replaced, but I haven't been motivated to take it across the bay for repairs since I don't gig it anymore.

#2843271 - 03/20/17 08:40 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: smanzella]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
PC1SE and PC361 should be a nice combination. My church rig is a PC2 and PC3 (or PC361).
Parts should not be a huge problem - the PC3 series was produced after Kurzweil's close to death experience, during which most of the parts for older models disappeared. Although the circuit boards are a bit different, the current PC3K series is the direct descendant of the PC3 series.
There are even some factory patches that cover some of the signature (stock) DX7 sounds, should you desire to use them.
Jim

#2843448 - 03/21/17 11:39 AM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
aellison62 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Still love my PC361 and yes, I had the pitch/mod wheel assembly replaced because it was causing error on bootup. Haven't had problem with it until just recently the bootup became a problem again. After running the diagnostic mode (push 4,5 and 6 simultaneously) it showed slider 3 and slider 7 acting up. Gonna try some contact cleaner/lubricant and see if helps. I still wouldn't part with this keyboard.

#2843454 - 03/21/17 11:54 AM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: davedoerfler]
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Originally Posted By: aronnelson
The PC361 is a really good keyboard.

As long as it stays working. I understand replacement parts are impossible to get.

Where did you hear that? I've had mine in for repair, and the shop never said anything about parts being "impossible" to get?

#2843477 - 03/21/17 01:30 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: Rusty Mike]
synthizen2 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
I just laid down some tracks in the studio with the country band I currently tour with, using the PC3 for some nice "Hammond" sounds (using the double-leslie effect), and the band LOVED it! Listening to playbacks with the Kurzweil in the mix... "Sounds like a real Hammond to me," said the band. Yes, it does!

#2843488 - 03/21/17 02:20 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: synthizen2]
aronnelson Offline
Gold Member

I never had problems with the pitch wheel but you will want to check out the transformer connections. It's heavy and can come loose after years of bouncing around. The ground wire on mine came loose as well. The screws go into a channel so they can come loose easily.

#2843683 - 03/22/17 01:13 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: smanzella]
Michiel Offline

Loc: NETHERLANDS
Originally Posted By: smanzella
I just traded my Yamaha DX7IIFD with Grey Matter E! Kit for a Kurzweil PC361 in Perfect Condition. I put the DX7 up for sale on Craigslist and someone offered to trade their PC361 for it.

Be sure to check out DLN sounds for clever programming so that you can still enjoy fm smile

http://www.dlnsound.com/products.htm#kfmcollection

#2843686 - 03/22/17 01:44 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: Michiel]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Verrry interesting. I wonder if one/some of these issues have caused mine to act up.

First, I love the keyboard. It is an incredible jack-of-all-trades that can't be beat (maybe) unless you go way, way up in price (Kronos, Nord Stage etc).

That said, the screen on mine has flickered for quite a while now, meaning it goes dark then immediately comes back on, either by itself or with a tap. I normally use two boards so I figured I'd deal with it until things got worse. Well, they got worse...it went haywire during a gig and then refused to boot normally (it would boot into one of 4-5 different states and screens, all with what looked like machine code showing, all garbled.). I went into the safe mode (or whatever it's called) and was about to try a system reset, when I figured I'd try to boot from there once...it worked and has been working ever since. The screen still occasionally does the flicker thing though.

I will say this, perhaps a coincidence: that gig was one of the few times I didn't use the Furman rackmount power strip by our mixer. The stage was really nice and had power plugs everywhere, so I just used the closest. That Furman isn't a high-end voltage-regulating unit or anything, but it does make me wonder if the power wasn't so hot in that place.

I had a guy look at it but he couldn't find any loose connections or problems...he has owned a lot of Kurzweils and said sooner or later the screen would need replacing...we'll see...so I'm riding it out for now. It's done a lot of gigs and while it wasn't dirt cheap, it's certainly paid for itself ($875). I wouldn't feel right selling it honestly unless it was for much less and with the problems known.

Edited by Stokely (03/22/17 01:47 PM)

#2843689 - 03/22/17 01:48 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: Stokely]
aronnelson Offline
Gold Member

>I had a guy look at it but he couldn't find any loose connections or problems..

Check the green ground wire. I had that same problem.
Unfortunately the screen went out on mine and it's expensive. Even if I wanted to fix it myself - I looked inside and it's the last thing buried deep within. I had to sell my board for a low cost and I bought the Korg Kross. (Not even a fair comparison even though I love the Kross for what it is).

#2843774 - 03/22/17 05:29 PM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: Rusty Mike]
davedoerfler Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: Rusty Mike
Where did you hear that? I've had mine in for repair, and the shop never said anything about parts being "impossible" to get?

Hey Mike -
I honestly don't remember and I hope I wasn't spreading fake news. If I can come across anything (I know I won't just remember) I'll post it. I can say for sure that something made me make that post. Sorry if I caused any confusion. This info (real or not) kept me from buying a demo model from Washington Music center a few years ago.

Jethro Tull

#2844473 - 03/25/17 10:51 AM Re: Kurzweil PC361 [Re: davedoerfler]
Sundown Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
You've got a hell of a board. I bought one used a year or two ago, and it's my main instrument (alongside my MP-11). It's largely on par with their current offerings (same basic synth engine and OS).

There is a depth to it that you won't find with other instruments. It's in a different stratosphere in terms of programming and customization. Korg, Yamaha, and Roland all have synths that sound great, but Kurzweil is in a different league in terms of playability and customization.

From a presets perspective, the orchestral and brass/string sounds are the best, there are some great choirs, fantastic pipe organs, some great synth sounds, and great drums (be sure to turn on the General MIDI compatibility setting in the System dialog). I don't like the EP's at all. They all sound like busted, dirty instruments. I didn't originally like the KB3 organ sounds, but now I do. They are wonderfully playable.

Be sure to check out the multi-part Geoffrey Gee training videos on YouTube. They are well worth the time, and you'll be blown away with how intuitive the interface is (and how deep the synth engine is).

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner