Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2843153 - 03/20/17 02:38 PM Using a 12 bar click for live use - how hard can it be.
Lee T Offline

Loc: North West UK
So, we've got a drummer who has the timing of a broken watch. That's a bit unfair, he plays okay but everything is too fast. In order to pull him back I've been using a click in SetList Maker that gives a 12 bar click he can start and stop with a footswitch. Seems to be working, he still speeds up a bit but at least I don't have to unknot my fingers after some songs.
Works great but I'm now using a Mac and can't find any simple way to replicate this functionality in Gig Performer or MainStage.
I've managed to trigger a 12 bar click sample in Kontakt using a script that translates the footswitch to a note on. Works, but with one big problem. In SLM the foot switch turns the click on and off, in Kontakt it re-triggers the loop with the existing loop also playing.
Would rather not have to use the Mac and an iPad but might have to. Does no-one make a simple metronome plugin that can be operated with an assignable foot switch input and lets the user decide on which sound to use?

KC Island
#2843160 - 03/20/17 02:48 PM Re: Using a 12 bar click for live use - how hard can it be. [Re: Lee T]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Wow. I presume you and your band has an attachment to this drummer for other reasons.

Because this sounds like an awful lot of work on your part to compensate for the fact that, frankly, your drummer has poor time. Which be definition I take to mean, you have a bad drummer.

In the spirit of "teach a man to fish..." it seems like the best solution is to leave it up to Mr. Russian to find a way to short-term fix his issues (in other words, he needs to figure out how to send himself a click), and in the long-term needs to develop a usable sense of time.

Now, having just typed that I realize that's probably NOT going to be the route you all end up taking...or you would have already done that and he'd be practicing correctly at home.

In that case, wouldn't a Boss DR3 Dr. Rhythm work (footswitchable on/off)?

#2843165 - 03/20/17 02:56 PM Re: Using a 12 bar click for live use - how hard can it be. [Re: timwat]
Lee T Offline

I've been with the band for less than a year, he started the band, runs the website, gets bookings etc. You get the idea. Thing is they get well paying, regular gigs and some of the other members are excellent musicians.
The reason I've set up the click is that I change patches for the set list and it's easier to have one reference point. So currently I run a foot switch into my PC3, midi out into SetList Maker and it starts/stops the click. Simple. He did talk about getting the Tama Rhythm Watch, but as he seems to have trouble reading the order of a written set, it's an accident waiting to happen.
Seems bizarre that I've moved from a 10 app to a few grands worth of Mac and software and can't easily achieve the same thing.

Edited by Lee T (03/20/17 03:05 PM)

#2843174 - 03/20/17 03:14 PM Re: Using a 12 bar click for live use - how hard can it be. [Re: Lee T]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: Lee T
I don't have to unknot my fingers after some songs.

Oh brother... played with a drummer like that. One of my few solo spots was Sweet Home Alabama, and he gradually sped the tempo up enough that the piano solo was unplayable. I was p!ssed at him ever since.

#2843181 - 03/20/17 03:24 PM Re: Using a 12 bar click for live use - how hard can it be. [Re: The Real MC]
aronnelson Offline
Gold Member

I don't understand. What doesn't Mainstage allow you to do? There's a click plugin right on the default concert? It should be trivial to route it anywhere you want and to have a footswitch assigned to it.

#2843183 - 03/20/17 03:25 PM Re: Using a 12 bar click for live use - how hard can it be. [Re: Lee T]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Lee....

You use the metronome in Mainstage, and send ot to your output.

Here's a vid I found that easily explains how to set it up.

I use this in my setup

#2843185 - 03/20/17 03:26 PM Re: Using a 12 bar click for live use - how hard can it be. [Re: The Real MC]
Lee T Offline

Yep, I have the same 'discussions' with him. This is a soul/funk band and a) it loses the groove when played too fast and b) playing the brass/piano/synth parts split across a couple of boards on songs such as 'Boogie Wonderland' is no fun when too fast.

#2843186 - 03/20/17 03:28 PM Re: Using a 12 bar click for live use - how hard can it be. [Re: Lee T]
Lee T Offline

Thanks David. Looks like MS for now. Wanted to use Gig Performer but unfortunately it doesn't have that functionality yet. Going to try one more Kontakt script before giving up.
Bit annoying as I've set everything up in Gig Performer and it's this one thing that's stymied me from using it.

Edited by Lee T (03/20/17 03:30 PM)

#2843239 - 03/20/17 06:57 PM Re: Using a 12 bar click for live use - how hard can it be. [Re: Lee T]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Lee T
Thanks David. Looks like MS for now. Wanted to use Gig Performer but unfortunately it doesn't have that functionality yet. Going to try one more Kontakt script before giving up.
Bit annoying as I've set everything up in Gig Performer and it's this one thing that's stymied me from using it.

Lee, I was just messing around online and did a google search.

There's a couple free VST click track plug ins out there that would most likely work in the Gig Performer world.

Here's just one of many I found. I have no idea how good they are..but there's stuff out there

clickety clack

#2843320 - 03/20/17 11:53 PM Re: Using a 12 bar click for live use - how hard can it be. [Re: EscapeRocks]
Lee T Offline

Thanks David, I'll have a look at it. I've managed to get something working using Kontakt. I created a click in Logic, bounced it down to audio. Load it in to Kontakt, set it as a one shot playback and run this little script:

on init
declare $id := -1
declare const $NOTE := 60 { This sets the note to C3 }
declare const $VELOCITY := 100 { Whatever velocity you want }
end on

on controller
if ($id = -1 and %CC[64]>64+5) { play note when pedal is pressed- CC is set for 64 which is the sustain pedal}
$id := play_note($NOTE, $VELOCITY, 0, -1)
else
if ($id # -1 and %CC[64]>64+5)
note_off($id) {next time pedal is pressed then stop note }
$id := -1
end if
end if
end on

Works a treat. Press sustain pedal (or whatever controller you specify) to start, press again to stop. Few years since I've done any coding!

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner