Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2843000 - 03/20/17 06:37 AM Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
You know how something sticks in your mind until it gets resolved? Years ago I watched a PBS documentary about the Carpenters, and remembered a scene where the band was rehearsing and Richard had an ARP synth onstage. Thing is, I don't recall any Carpenters song with a synth.

This came to mind again yesterday so I did some digging online. It turns out that Richard did indeed own an ARP Odyssey and it's featured in this song... one that I've certainly never heard before:

KC Island
#2843008 - 03/20/17 07:09 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Synthoid]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Don't think I have heard that one though I'm limited to greatest hits collections. I do remember him having an Arp Omni II on stage at one point. At the time it was an "I have one of those" moments. Thinking back, it was a bit strange since he usually had a real string section available.

#2843020 - 03/20/17 07:34 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: RABid]
Bob L Offline

Really distinctive Arp sound at 3:10. I do remember this song. She had the most amazing voice!

#2843026 - 03/20/17 07:51 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: RABid]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: RABid
Don't think I have heard that one though I'm limited to greatest hits collections.

Me too... I have "The Singles" CD around here somewhere, which covers 1969-1973 material. The Happy song is from their 1975 "Horizon" LP. I remembered the single "Only Yesterday" from it but that's all.

#2843038 - 03/20/17 08:26 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Bob L]
Uncle Jam Offline

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC USA
Originally Posted By: Bob L
Really distinctive Arp sound at 3:10. I do remember this song. She had the most amazing voice!

I heard her voice once in a mall parking lot, coming over one of those crummy horn speakers that would make anyone else's voice sound like garbage. And yet her voice sounded as angelic as ever, seemingly as big as the sky over the entire parking lot. I don't think it's humanly possible to make her voice sound bad--it's like she has extra goose bump frequencies in there.

#2843069 - 03/20/17 09:41 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Uncle Jam]
dongna Offline

Is anyone else here using Google Chrome and not seeing embedded YouTubes all of a sudden? (I assume that's what was supposed to be in the big white space in Synthoid's post?) This is the third or fourth one recently that has not displayed for me.

#2843070 - 03/20/17 09:43 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: dongna]
Uncle Jam Offline

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC USA
I can't see anything other than a big white space either, and I'm using Safari.

#2843073 - 03/20/17 09:49 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Uncle Jam]
Throbert Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Colorado
Working on the fox

#2843074 - 03/20/17 09:51 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Throbert]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Works on Chrome (Mac).

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2843077 - 03/20/17 09:55 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: mate stubb]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
He is a pretty good piano player. A lot of people didn't like him after she died. I can't remember but remember reading something about it.

noblevibes.com

#2843078 - 03/20/17 09:58 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Outkaster]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Didn't Contemporary Keyboard or ? do a feature article on him way back when?

#2843109 - 03/20/17 11:47 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Wastrel]
Kl285528 Offline

Thanks for causing a tear while I'm eating lunch. Wow, what a voice!

#2843113 - 03/20/17 12:04 PM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Kl285528]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Using IE 11 here. I can see the video but there is a message "The YouTube Flash API was officially deprecated on January 27, 2015. The forum is using an old API that is no longer supported.

#2843116 - 03/20/17 12:13 PM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: RABid]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
I just did Richard Carpenter for a couple of tour dates with a Carpenters tribute act (last month).

Wonderfully, the "Karen" sounded just like the original. I kid you not.

For better or worse, it seems the Richard has continued to release new versions of the original recordings, at times simply bringing keys more to the front, and a few occasions replacing key sections with more keyboard-centric stuff. As you might guess, this is often not-well-received by fans of their music who are emotionally tied to the songs they grew up with on the radio.

I guess I can see why, as it's just as much Richard's legacy as Karen's, but if there's a lesson to be learned it's simply that you mess with someone's cherished memories at your own peril.

All in all, I found doing the tribute was an interesting experience. The songs were more musically interesting and satisfying than I thought they would be going in, and I was able to bring more to the table than I initially thought I would (I was just subbing for the regular guy, who happens to be the MD and a killer player).

Bottom line is playing for sold-out, big name venues with fans weeping with joy, singing along to every lyric, and standing ovations for encores...yeah, there are worse ways for a gig to go over.

#2843123 - 03/20/17 12:50 PM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: timwat]
cedar Offline
Gold Member

Loc: New York
Pretty catchy tune. Surprised it didn't become at least a minor hit.

#2843149 - 03/20/17 02:29 PM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: cedar]
Michiel Offline

Loc: NETHERLANDS
Beautiful song!

#2843266 - 03/20/17 08:23 PM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Michiel]
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NJ, USA
It's really amazing how her voice stayed so sweet and in tune at the bottom end of her range. Especially when you consider the lack of technology that existed to fix things in that pre-autotune era.

#2843293 - 03/20/17 09:54 PM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: harmonizer]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
They were a great live band, and she was a damn fine drummer, especially when you consider what an amazing and effortless voice she had while playing the drums.

This appears to be live, disinterested crowd and all. There are a few other YouTube vids of their Bacharach medley, and they all sound pretty great..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECEBexCwGwM

I interfaced a bit with Richard when he was supervising surround mixes of the hits album about 10 years ago. He's actually a nice guy with really great ears. I think he tinkers with the songs mostly because of boredom. Whenever there's a reissue or repacking or whatever, he's on it. He remembers everything about the recordings, various versions of each song, even what tape box to look for when pulling masters.

#2843386 - 03/21/17 07:33 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Shamanzarek Offline

Loc: NJ
Several musicians I occasionally work with do a Carpenter and King show with two female vocalists alternating between Carole King and Carpenters songs. The Karen Carpenter singer is good but few singers are truly able to nail that voice. She does play drums while she sings. I suggested they do this song and none of them had heard of it:

#2843388 - 03/21/17 07:36 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Synthoid]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Now that is an obscure Carpenters song. But I do remember hearing it a couple times back in the day.

#2843393 - 03/21/17 07:55 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Shamanzarek]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Shamanzarek
Several musicians I occasionally work with do a Carpenter and King show with two female vocalists alternating between Carole King and Carpenters songs. The Karen Carpenter singer is good but few singers are truly able to nail that voice. She does play drums while she sings. I suggested they do this song and none of them had heard of it:

I just played that. The Tribute act actually uses that as a staple of their set. I had never heard it before, they told me it began life as a Klaatu song the Carpenters covered.

#2843402 - 03/21/17 08:30 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: timwat]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: timwat
I just played that. The Tribute act actually uses that as a staple of their set. I had never heard it before, they told me it began life as a Klaatu song

Now there's a band name I have heard for decades. The girl I was dating back then was a huge fan.

#2843445 - 03/21/17 11:33 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Synthoid]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Great song... great voice... great arrangement.

#2843458 - 03/21/17 12:11 PM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: HammondDave]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My sister started working in the eating disorders field a couple years after Karen passed in 1983. A lot of people talked about her in that clinic that were struggling with the same thing as she was a popular figure that died because of it...even then the treatments were in their infancy. I guess I donít understand why people back then didnít really notice how close to dying she was at the time but maybe not that much was known about the disorder? I was watching a documentary the other day on the Carpenters and it is very sad. She was a good drummer and very talented.

noblevibes.com

#2843589 - 03/22/17 05:16 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Outkaster]
marczellm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Budapest, Hungary
The rhythm of the vocal melody in the B section is very reminiscent of some other pop standard, but I can't put my finger on which. The part where she sings "You can deal me in this time around".
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G

#2843607 - 03/22/17 06:58 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Outkaster]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Outkaster
My sister started working in the eating disorders field a couple years after Karen passed in 1983. A lot of people talked about her in that clinic that were struggling with the same thing as she was a popular figure that died because of it...even then the treatments were in their infancy. I guess I donít understand why people back then didnít really notice how close to dying she was at the time but maybe not that much was known about the disorder? I was watching a documentary the other day on the Carpenters and it is very sad. She was a good drummer and very talented.

I was startled by her appearance in the photographs shown on this thread. She doesn't look well. I don't remember noticing at the time.

#2843608 - 03/22/17 07:03 AM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Wastrel]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That's just it I mean it was obvious but from a couple things I have seen people were oblivious to it.

noblevibes.com

#2843717 - 03/22/17 02:50 PM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Synthoid]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And now for something completely different. An instrumental Carpenters song written back in the mid-60's.

#2843752 - 03/22/17 04:17 PM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: dongna]
Desert Rat Offline

Loc: Arizona, U.S.
Originally Posted By: dongna
Is anyone else here using Google Chrome and not seeing embedded YouTubes all of a sudden? (I assume that's what was supposed to be in the big white space in Synthoid's post?) This is the third or fourth one recently that has not displayed for me.

I wonder who owns YouTube? ;-) They are doing some serious editing these days. Unsubscribing users, deleting videos, etc. The YouTube police are out there.

Edited by Desert Rat (03/22/17 04:18 PM)

#2843811 - 03/22/17 08:14 PM Re: Bit OT: Obscure Carpenters Song [Re: Desert Rat]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Thanks for sharing. I never was a Carpenter's fan, but always blown away by their musicianship and production values. Very, very talented duo. And the music has held up quite well over the years.

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosie 200 Klimt Model
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, MG06, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner