Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2842957 - 03/19/17 11:40 PM Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff....
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Well I'm pretty excited and thought I should share it all with my KB Corner brethren.

Tomorrow I'm going into the studio to record what will technically be my first album. I've recorded plenty over the years on hundreds of different things for different people and I've written plenty of music for various purposes, but tomorrow is the first time I'm cutting a handful of tunes for ME.

I turned 35 in August and, well damn, I think it's finally time. There are plenty of things that have prevented me from doing this up to now. Maybe you can relate to some of them:

-Didn't think I was good enough yet.

-Didn't have time.

-Way too much work.

-Didn't have enough $$ to make it happen the way it needed to.

-Didn't have enough tunes.

-Was paralyzed by the fact that I like too many styles of music. Love playing straight ahead jazz piano. Love playing pop. Love playing reggae. Love playing Latin Jazz. Love playing wanky fusion. Love playing Richard Tee style Stuff grooves. Love producing music for commercial purposes. (starting to) love playing organ. Love playing classical music. Love playing ballpark organ. If I were to release an album what style would I do?!?!

Over the course of the past couple years I realize I've evolved to meet each of these objections.

-Doesn't matter if I'm still not 'good enough'. If my voice is "imperfect" or short of Cory Henry brilliance then it's cool. I'm not the natural genius that level of player is and I never will be!

-I'll never have months and months to write, but I did have a kind of slow Feb / March and was able to bring this vision together pretty quickly to take advantage of this relative 'slow period'.

-It IS a ton of work but it's fun work. (Easy to say when it's not even recorded yet)

-Playing in a solid corporate band for the past 3 years coupled with my wife finishing grad school and joining the work force and some smart steady budgeting means that I've been able to set aside some $$. Now I can pay everybody what I want with a smile on my face.

-I've been writing steadily over the past couple months and the tunes have come. I have enough faith in my ability to write now so that once I defined the parameters of the vibe I was going for with this album I could conjure up and flesh out some ideas that I thought were worthy (though not without plenty of plateaus, moments of frustration and doubt and heavy revisions).

And to answer the last point, I settled on a concept that isn't all that common and yet seemed fun to me. A funky organ album with horns. This means that my jazz piano album is gonna have to wait. Even the straight ahead organ album will have to wait. The 'Bobby plays classical' album (never gonna happen actually) will have to wait. The solo piano disc will have to wait. The 'Bobby's EDM creations' has to wait. But zeroing in on the idea of an organ with a larger horn section (5 horns on average) gave me focus.

And lastly I was inspired by this: I wanted to get all the killer players I know in town from different scenes to be able to get together and play on tunes that showcased their abilities best. So I've written tunes for ensembles of different players that they will shine on. That is tremendously inspiring AND it gives the album variety. I have a Cha Cha. I have some a dark Lonnie Smith style tune with Horace Silvery changes. I have a Tower of Power tribute tune (!!). There's a reggae tune. There's a wanky 80s fusion tune called 'Muy Shreddings'. Why the hell not it's MY ALBUM.

So here's hoping tomorrow and the next day goes well. There are plenty of things that could go wrong. The sound could just kind of suck at this studio. The arrangements might not come together when everyone plays them. The horn parts could be crappy in real life. I could have a shitty day of playing. The lead trumpet player could get into an accident on the way to the studio. But frankly it's cool - - - even if stuff DOES go wrong --- this will be a great experience.

Thanks for reading y'all. So much of what I've learned here goes into every note I play - it's unquantifiable at this point.

-BC

KC Island
#2842960 - 03/20/17 12:14 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: Bobadohshe]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I was 38 when I finally felt ready to do my first (all original) in '91 at Chick 's old Mad Hatter studio. I used his engineer, Bernie Kirsh ($$$$).

I paid the guys - sax, bass & drums - not a lot but what I could afford. Thankfully they dug the music.

It was the era before Pro Tools and I couldn't afford to multi- track so we went live to 2 track. 72 minutes of music in back to back days of 4 hour sessions.

Luckily the rhythm section was well rehearsed and I had Bob Sheppard on sax. And again we had Bernie Kirsh at the helm.

Getting it mastered by Bernie Grundman was a lot, and then paying for the artwork and getting copies made... cry I think it was around 10K when all was said and done.

Aside from the Steinway D, the best money I've probably ever spent in my life in music. Once it's over and you have the finished product in your hands…well the feeling is indescribable. In fact I can still recall the high 25 and a half years ago. It's no one else's vision or thing but all YOU. thu

I'm sure it will go great. Just get enough sleep tonight and try to stay focused but relaxed during the tracking. A loose , relaxed vibe during the session brings out the best in everyone. cool

Wishing you all the best with it . smile thu

Edited by Dave Ferris (03/20/17 05:50 PM)
Edit Reason: added thoughts

#2842964 - 03/20/17 01:00 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: Dave Ferris]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
You'll be great, man. Looking forward to hearing it. I remember you were saying in September that you'd never really recorded your own tunes. Time to grip it and rip it!

#2842965 - 03/20/17 01:10 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: MAJUSCULE]
midinut Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: North Carolina
Best of luck to you. I'm sure it'll be great. Can't wait to hear it when it's done!

#2842968 - 03/20/17 01:29 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: midinut]
stillplaying Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Perth, Scotland
Good luck on your latest adventure. Sounds great.

#2842969 - 03/20/17 01:45 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: stillplaying]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
More power to you Bobby - congratulations and best wishes.

#2842982 - 03/20/17 04:22 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: CowboyNQ]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Have fun! thu

#2842985 - 03/20/17 04:42 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: Michael Wright]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Can't wait to hear the end result. Best of skills is already in your hands. Best of luck never hurts!

#2842986 - 03/20/17 04:46 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: Markyboard]
UnderGroundH Offline

Loc: Keratsini, Hellas
Good luck !!!

#2843002 - 03/20/17 06:47 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: UnderGroundH]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
Good for you, Bobby!
Rest well tonight and ENJOY the session.
Jim

#2843005 - 03/20/17 07:04 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Congrats. Looking forward to hearing the end result. Based on music you've posted previously I'm sure it will be awesome. Enjoy!

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2843049 - 03/20/17 08:44 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: Al Quinn]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Tear it up, Bobby!

#2843055 - 03/20/17 09:15 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: MathOfInsects]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2843060 - 03/20/17 09:27 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: mate stubb]
bennyray Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
Be yourself and you will be just fine! Looking forward to hearing the finished product.

#2843102 - 03/20/17 11:23 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: bennyray]
David R Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, QC
Yeah man! Can't wait to hear the record.

Logic 9, Mainstage 2, Kontakt 5, AAS & Arturia stuff, fingers, pencil, paper.

#2843200 - 03/20/17 04:20 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: David R]
RichieP_MechE Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Awesome Bobby! Consider this a pre-order, can't wait to hear it!

#2843202 - 03/20/17 04:26 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: RichieP_MechE]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Mmmm...studio.... boing

Enjoy, brother! twothumbs

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • TK Audio • Electronic Musician

#2843212 - 03/20/17 04:48 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: Dave Bryce]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
twothumbs Awesome, Bobby! Are you going to record any video behind the scenes?

#2843215 - 03/20/17 04:51 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: Joe Muscara]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
excellent post, Bobby. Hope it was a great day in the studio. twothumbs
'88 Kawai 52" Upright,'61 Hammond A100,'81 Rhodes 88 Mark II Stage,'71 Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet E7, Moog Voyager, Leslies 142/Studio 12, Yamaha CP70, DSI Prophet 08, Arp Solina, Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo

#2843227 - 03/20/17 05:30 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: davedoerfler]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

He was just live on Facebook y'all! Horns are sounding legit. rawk

#2843254 - 03/20/17 07:46 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: MAJUSCULE]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
He was just live on Facebook y'all! Horns are sounding legit. rawk

Those be powerful horns Bobby ... can't wait to hear the complete track with all the instruments. cool

#2843296 - 03/20/17 10:13 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: JerryA]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Great day today. Five and six horn arrangements. We kept moving and had time for everything. In a bit of a daze and will need a week before coming back to listen with fresh ears. Will need some editing love for sure. Day 2 will be easier.

#2843318 - 03/20/17 11:49 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: Bobadohshe]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Go, Bobster! thu

#2843494 - 03/21/17 02:46 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: zephonic]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Bobby, congrats in moving forward with your own project. thu

It is easy to set cruise control as a hired gun. Just a matter of being ready for the gig and comfortable with how much it pays. Sometimes, there is an added bonus of digging the music you're playing.

IMO, musically, there is nothing like the freedom of composing, playing and recording your own music. Sure, everybody might not dig it. But, that's not the point.

Being able to express your own vision and creativity from the tunes to arrangements and hiring the musicians is rewarding in itself.

Of course, it is not easy at all. There is a reason not everyone is and/or wants to be a bandleader. It is actually harder than being a hired gun.

Now, someone else is looking to your for direction, instruction and getting paid. At the end of it all, you have to deliver a product.

It is huge step forward. But, I certainly believe you have done enough time in the trenches playing a variety of musical styles which in turn afford you the knowledge, skills and abilities to make this happen.

Brotha Bobby, I'm truly happy that you have chosen to do this now. There is no doubt in my mind that you will emerge with an excellent record. thu cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2843510 - 03/21/17 03:33 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: ProfD]
cedar Offline
Gold Member

Loc: New York
Best of luck! I've recently decided to do the same thing - jazz album with my own compositions - and given myself about a year to perfect arrangements, identify and recruit sideman and then head into the studio. I'm hoping that, with sufficient prep, the actual studio time won't be too much.

Anyway, it's inspiring to see a fellow forum-member where I hope to be within a year.

#2843546 - 03/21/17 06:47 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: cedar]
New&Improv Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Corvallis, OR
Go, man, go!

I know it's a pretty antiquated idea in the current music environment, but there are few things I love more than making records.
-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

#2843564 - 03/21/17 10:57 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: New&Improv]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: New&Improv
I know it's a pretty antiquated idea in the current music environment, but there are few things I love more than making records.

Woooooooorrrrrrrd.

#2843580 - 03/22/17 04:30 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Mark Zeger Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
If the Padres let you set up a merch table, you're going to need a lot of copies to sell!

#2843675 - 03/22/17 11:51 AM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: Mark Zeger]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Two of the coolest days of my life. Still coming down from it. I will share some highlights soon.

#2843680 - 03/22/17 12:46 PM Re: Going into the studio tomorrow to record MY stuff.... [Re: Bobadohshe]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Excellent. rockit
'88 Kawai 52" Upright,'61 Hammond A100,'81 Rhodes 88 Mark II Stage,'71 Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet E7, Moog Voyager, Leslies 142/Studio 12, Yamaha CP70, DSI Prophet 08, Arp Solina, Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner