Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2842952 - 03/19/17 10:43 PM Down to five cables!
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Wow! I have successfully shrunk my gig rig to five cables! In and out in minutes!

Power plug for Mojo
Power plug for EV Powered Monitor
1/4 inch from Mojo to EV
1/8 inch from iPad to EV
USB from Mojo to iPad

Plus three pedals (sustain, swell, and leslie speed)...

DONE!

KC Island
#2842962 - 03/20/17 12:36 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: HammondDave]
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Cool. That's a lot easier than my current pop rig......

Aren't you worried about the 1/8 inch cable in the Ipad?

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2842963 - 03/20/17 12:47 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: RudyS]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: RudyS

No... should I be? Never had a problem with that...

#2842967 - 03/20/17 01:17 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: HammondDave]
midinut Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: North Carolina
Not quite there, but getting close:

Power cable to MOXF6
Power cable to MacBook Pro running MainStage
Power cable to SSv3
Stereo 1/4" cables to SSv3 from MOXF6 (that counts as two)
USB cable from MOXF6 to MBP
USB cable from KeyLab 61 to MBP

1/4" cable from sub out on SSv3 to DI and/or Mains (if necessary)

Plus 2 sustain pedals

#2842981 - 03/20/17 04:01 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: HammondDave]
John Tweed Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: HammondDave

USB from Mojo to iPad

Don't you mean midi cable from Mojo to iPad?

#2842988 - 03/20/17 05:09 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: John Tweed]
bjosko Offline

Loc: Denmark
I miss that part of a real Hammond VS clone. Power & Leslie cable - done.
A local guy put this one up a while ago : https://www.facebook.com/kjeld.lauritsen/posts/10209102910072311?notif_t=like

#2842994 - 03/20/17 06:00 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: bjosko]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
5 cables, that IS pretty good.

I do like rolling into a jam with an organ and a Leslie. Fastest setup time of any of my rigs! Like bjosko says, two cables: perfect!

Ignoring general PA, I'm currently at..
- organ power
- leslie
- CP4 power
- CP4 output
- NX55p power
- two pedals
- top rotor mic
- bottom rotor mic
- vocal mic

Grr. No wonder it takes me so long to setup. At least I have managed to eliminate the VR09 from my rig, which saves 3 cords and a bunch of dicking around with balancing it just-so.
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2842996 - 03/20/17 06:18 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: WesG]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
Not down quite that far but I have definitely been able to streamline my rig since getting my Kronos 61 and realizing that it can cover my gigs as the sole sound source (eliminating the need for a mixer and the extra cables that entails). So I have power plugs for my Kronos, my S80 (just used as a controller midi'd into the K), and my EV powered speaker; two sustain pedals and two volume pedals; short midi cable; audio from Kronos to DI and from the DI to the EV; and that's it. Occassionally I use an additional foot switch to change the Leslie speed on my Kronos organ patches but usually am okay just using the joystick.

#2843018 - 03/20/17 07:28 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: richforman]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I have arrived to the promise land. Not counting pedals and power cables I can hook my rig up with 1 cable or 2 cables If I'm playing my XK3c.... If you count my Redco fan to fan snake as 1 cord.

The snake connects the keyboards to the rack. I have a custom cable Bruce at Ashby made me that connects the 11 pin Leslie socket to Blue and purple inputs that run to the Vent in the rack. The Vent hits Channel 8 on the mixer. Each channel feeds a Monitor send jack in the rear of the mixer that runs to Channel 2 on the Shure PSM300 transmitter that I run in Mix Mode. The sound guys plug my monitor feed into the unlabeled silver XLR input. The sound guys plug into the red and blue XLR outputs on the right to get my keyboard. If I would ever want to feed any powered speakers the gray 1/4" outputs are still active.

My only worry is if something goes wrong there are 16 patch cable plus two power supplies and 2 AC cables, Mini Vent and a stereo DI in the back of the rack. It is a jam packed mess. Sorting out any problems will suck. I used in some cases short cables I had around the house. There is a bunch of excess cabling adding to the mess. I need to custom cut some custom cabling for the inside of the rack. I hate to touch it because everything is working. laugh

The Samson SM10 is not the absolute finest in pristine audio chains. It is no SSL but for a compact mixer with I/O out the wazoo I can't find anything better. The amount of I/O and flexibility is what makes it killer.

Edited by CEB (03/20/17 07:36 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2843021 - 03/20/17 07:35 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: CEB]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
I'm looking at doing a similar thing. If I purchase an Electro 5 and pair it with my PC3 I need one midi cable; two power cords, three line outs, expression, sustain and rotary on/off; done..... Still would need a tiny mixer for the three 1/4" outputs; really trying to get the outputs down to 2 so that the mixer would be eliminated as well. I wish my ELX112P had three inputs that would send to FOH.

#2843031 - 03/20/17 08:08 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: Delaware Dave]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Guess I'll count the cable that goes from my submixer to my IEM pack as one.

Other than that, I'm trying out a "3 snake approach" using plastic flex cable (split).

One mini-snake containing power, audio and a pedal that goes to each keyboard of my two. The flex snakes make it very quick to run them up the guides of my spider pro. I had redco.com make a couple of 5' right-angle cables and each snake is the right length for either the top or bottom board. Looks very tidy with no effort. So that's 2 'cables' grin

Then a bigger flex snake that carries my mixer output, my mic cable and a return monitor signal to FOH (we run sound from stage.). The flex portion is 20', while the cables are either 25' or 30' (mic cable, it has to go further to my mic.)

I have a loose power extension with 3 plugs for my 2 keyboards and my submixer cable; the mixer power adapter along with the mixer itself is velcroed to a board--stays plugged in-- and fits inside my gear tub after packing all the other snakes/cables/mic boom inside. I'm very happy that I have no loose items to forget and set up is very quick. My only annoyance is that I still haven't gotten my mic boom adapter to work well with my spider pro--the boom keeps grabbing the threaded adapter when I take it off, so then you risk having the bolt fall down inside the spider as there is only a gasket holding it up (this has happened twice to me, once right before a show and I had to gaffers-tape a small floor mic stand for a kick drum on top of the stand razz...I need to start bringing a backup boom....)

I've started using my rock-n-roller cart even for short load-ins and I've found my set up time goes down even more.

edit: the band in general has a very short setup/teardown time compared to when we started. Part of it is using less crap (overboard lights and too big of a PA...most places don't like loud these days...). A big thing is creating snakes for power and audio and lights. No more uncoiling and coiling cables before and after shows. You have these big corrugated plastic snakes (rigid, unlike my flex stuff) to coil up and it takes very little time. The other thing is carts like the rock-n-rollers to save our backs and reduce the number of loads. I used to dread teardown--and it aint fun for sure--but now it's over so quick that it's no biggie.

Edited by Stokely (03/20/17 08:16 AM)

#2843034 - 03/20/17 08:20 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: Stokely]
nickd Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UK
3 cables is the minimum I think? My compact gig rig:
- power for SP4-7 or Kawai ES100, depending on the gig
- power for JBL powered monitor
- audio cable from SP4-7 or ES100 to JBL monitor

Plus sustain and expression pedals.

Anyone running their keyboard on batteries want to get us down to 2?!

#2843040 - 03/20/17 08:34 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: nickd]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I have my rig on a battery backup. grin

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2843098 - 03/20/17 11:02 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: CEB]
roygBoo! Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
Using a similar approach to CEB, I've got my system down to essentially one moving part.

The system is built around a Numark DJ case.

All my keyboard and pedal power supplies are plugged into an power extension cable, and taped underneath an upside down rack shelf. This is placed into the Numark case.

On top of that, I have the Samson S10 mixer. On top of the S10 mixer I then have an Original vent (left side), and a Korg Kaoss 3+ effects unit.

Everything is all plugged in and ready to go.

Set up time involves:

1. placing Case on top of shelf that sits above my two other keyboards (Roland RD64 and VR09).

2. Taking lid off, and putting it next to Spacestation for extra reflection.

3. Pulling out power supply and audio cables for each keyboard. These are tied together in a zippered sleeve that are tied together for that "OCD keyboard player" look.

4. Send 1/4" stereo cable from back of Samson S10 mixer to Spacestation SS3.

5. Send mono 1/4" cable from back of SS3 to sound man.

Total setup time is less than 5 min (imp when we play gigs with other bands and have to get on/off stage in a hurry).

BONUS aspects of this approach:

1. The little door-thingy on the front of the case folds down, giving easy access to the S10 controls. Since the case is on a top shelf of my keyboard stand, very easy to look at/control.

2. Having the Korg Kaoss 3+ effects thingy right in front of you enables real-time manipulation of the sound effects, and tweaking with the X-Y pad.

3. The case format gives me a slight bit of "young guy hipster cred", as it is the kind of thing EDM guys use, not middle age doods like me. This advantage might in fact all be in my head, with the opposite impression just as likely)

4. Tear down time is very fast - unplug, loosely wrap up cables in the Numark case, put lid back in, close, all done.

#2843138 - 03/20/17 02:03 PM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: roygBoo!]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Back in my 80s band, I had a single snake to a rack similar to CEB. Since then I've changed rigs and have don't a lot of different types of shows, but I've pretty well settled down to a pretty compact setup.

If you count only the keyboard portion of my rig:
2 power cables
1 midi cable
1 audio cable
Pedals:
2 sustain
1 swell

Now monitoring can vary depending on what kind of mix I get, etc. If I use IEM's that's pretty straightforward. If I use my K10 but get my own mix, then I just have one additional power cable and FOH runs a line to my K10, and I use an iPhone app to mix. If I DON'T get my own mix, then that's where things start getting messy again. I loop my vocal through Ch1 of the K10 through to FOH, my keys and guitar go into my ProD2 DI, loop out of there into a small behringer mixer, then into Ch2 of my K10. So then I'm back to a mess of short cables going between the DI, mixer, and K10 just for monitoring.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2843188 - 03/20/17 03:37 PM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: J. Dan]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
CEB - I think my Behringer RX1202FX will beat your Samson on I/O ...but it is a 3U mixer. The Samson really is unbeatable in a 1U form factor.
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2843349 - 03/21/17 05:45 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: HammondDave]
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

Well, I don't know. It just doesn't feel so robust to me for live usage. But there are a lot of people who just use their headphones out on their macbooks as well, so probably I am just nitpicking.

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2843359 - 03/21/17 06:31 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: RudyS]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Well, I don't know. It just doesn't feel so robust to me for live usage.

I've used keyboards with 1/8" out, and did have problems (i.e.if they get bumped) which were solved by going to a plug that had a 90 degree angle.

#2843364 - 03/21/17 06:44 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: Delaware Dave]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
I'm looking at doing a similar thing. If I purchase an Electro 5 and pair it with my PC3 I need one midi cable; two power cords, three line outs, expression, sustain and rotary on/off; done..... Still would need a tiny mixer for the three 1/4" outputs; really trying to get the outputs down to 2 so that the mixer would be eliminated as well. I wish my ELX112P had three inputs that would send to FOH.

What 3 outputs?
www.echoesrocks.com

#2843365 - 03/21/17 06:46 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: DanL]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My single board rig:

3 power cables (2 speakers, Electro
2 audio cables to run stereo
expression pedal
sustain/leslie pedal
www.echoesrocks.com

#2843370 - 03/21/17 07:08 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: DanL]
vonnor Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Centreville, VA USA
Two keyboards; pedalboard with 2-exp, 2-sustain & 1 rotary stomp; and rack.

4 cables (2 multi-chan snakes and 2 power cables).

One snake has a twist-lock multi-pin connector on one end that snaps onto the pedalboard and runs up the stand to various length fan-tails for vol/exp, damper, and the Nord leslie speed.

One snake carries audio to, and midi to/from, the rack. Has similar fan-tails at keyboard end.

Stereo DI in rack ready for FOH plug-up.

#2843503 - 03/21/17 03:00 PM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: roygBoo!]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

My "Eureka" moment was looming cables into snakes, and colour-coding the connectors. My top board has five connections (expression, sustain, audio to FoH, audio to personal monitor, MIDI from controller) - but it "feels like one cable", in that there's basically the same amount of brain effort required whether it's one cable or five.

So that's "one" for my top board, "one more" downstairs, and "a third one" for my personal monitor.

Power makes four (I've got a multiway cable that splits into three), and a single Y-cable takes audio to the desk and returns a monitor mix to me. So it feels like five cables, despite there being about fifteen separate connectors there.

Originally Posted By: roygbiv
I've got my system down to essentially one moving part.

I loved this analogy. My moving part is my pedalboard - all the cables drop down to there, and back up. The pedals are pre-loomed into their appropriate snakes. A TRS socket acts as the "airlock" between my rig and the desk, carrying fresh monitor send in, and waste product - I mean keys audio - back out.

Cheers, Mike.

#2843565 - 03/21/17 11:00 PM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: stoken6]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
C'mon.....pictures!!!!

#2843568 - 03/22/17 12:00 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Bill Spencer Offline

Loc: Northern California
You guys make me sick. : )

I have, for pop gigs:

Laptop
USB Hub
MIDI Patch Changer
Vocal Mic
iPad
49 key USB controller
PC3K7
2 dual axis foot controller pedals
2 sustain pedals
In Ear Monitors
XAir 18 digital mixer
Spacestation amp
Bass amp
ambient mic
cat 5 cable to connect xAir to main mixer
Keyboard stand
Music stand
laptop stand
Mic stand
Throne
Garment bag with nice clothes

and everything is stereo.

I allow an hour for setup, usually takes about :35

I may be sick, but I kind of like setting it all up (I must 'cause I do it 3-5 times a week). It reminds me of the erector set I had when I was a kid.

I'll take a pic if anyone cares

Edited by Bill Spencer (03/22/17 12:06 AM)

#2843569 - 03/22/17 01:05 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: Bill Spencer]
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

when I use my own monitoring (worst case) it is:

6x power cable (Px5, Nord E3, DSI mopho, Mixer, K10, eventide timefactor)
6x Jack (E3 mono, PX mono, DSI to eventide, eventide to mixer, mixer to DI, DI to K10)
1x midi (mopho to eventide)
2x expression, 2x sustain, leslie switch

Sometimes, when I have a really good soundguy and a big show, I will go stereo, so then it is even worse. Those cases I don't connect my K10 though.

#2843570 - 03/22/17 01:06 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: Bill Spencer]
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Bill Spencer

Please do!

#2843586 - 03/22/17 04:56 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: Bill Spencer]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Bill Spencer

I have, for pop gigs:

Laptop
USB Hub
MIDI Patch Changer
Vocal Mic
iPad
49 key USB controller
PC3K7
2 dual axis foot controller pedals
2 sustain pedals
In Ear Monitors
XAir 18 digital mixer
Spacestation amp
Bass amp
ambient mic
cat 5 cable to connect xAir to main mixer
Keyboard stand
Music stand
laptop stand
Mic stand
Throne
Garment bag with nice clothes

and everything is stereo.

I allow an hour for setup, usually takes about :35

I may be sick, but I kind of like setting it all up (I must 'cause I do it 3-5 times a week). It reminds me of the erector set I had when I was a kid.

I have an easy setup and a more complex one, but even my complex one doesn't take much time because anything that can be prewired is prewired.
For my Floyd band:
3 keyboards all in stereo, power cords for all of them.
midi cables to connect keys together
2 expression pedals, 2 sustain pedals, 1 pedal for leslie speed
6 space rack with a Furman, 16ch stereo mixer,stereo DI and stereo EQ. All the audio cables for my keys are attached in a snake that feed the keyboards. The mixer runs into the DI and out to the EQ, and out of the EQ runs to my JBL powered monitors. I also have IEM's that plug right into the front panel of the board if I want to use them.
I run separate stereo line out from the sub out of my FA08 to a 2nd small stereo mixer to control sound effect samples. This connects to a house provided stereo DI and then back thru the house monitors, or I can tap into it and run separate lines into the 2nd input of my monitors.

My biggest headache is the foot controllers. Because I have 3 different rig configurations (Electro only, Electro and FA08 for my regular setup, and 3 boards for the Floyd band) I don't have the pedals mounted to a board with any cable management. I don't want to haul a big pedal board to an electro only gig, and I don't want to spend the $$ on duplicate pedals.

It probably takes me 30 mins to set this rig up and that's because I like to route the cables along the stand so they aren't hanging all over the place.

My 2 board rig doesn't use the rack. I have a little Behringer mixer that sits on my FA08 and the 2 boards connect with short cables. I run the main outs to the PA, and the "control room" outs go to my powered monitors. I run a line from the monitor send on the board into the 2nd input of one of my monitors to get vocals. If I use IEMs, I bring along the little mixer I use for the FX in the Floyd band, and run control room out of the Behringer into an input on the little mixer, and run the monitor feed into a 2nd channel. Sometimes I run a 3rd channel that is guitar only so I can adjust that when they turn up as the night goes on. I plug my iem's right into the front of the little mixer. The foot pedal configuration is the same as the Floyd band.I also run a mic stand that attaches to my keyboard stand, and I have a mic for vocoder sounds zip tied to that stand, and that plugs into the external input of the FA08.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2843597 - 03/22/17 06:17 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: DanL]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Oh man, my Floyd rig has ballooned since I started! I started with two boards and three pedals, now it's three boards, two stands, a (small) rack, a laptop and a ton of cables. But still only three pedals!

#2843605 - 03/22/17 06:41 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: DanL]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: DanL
My biggest headache is the foot controllers. Because I have 3 different rig configurations (Electro only, Electro and FA08 for my regular setup, and 3 boards for the Floyd band) I don't have the pedals mounted to a board with any cable management.

Do I understand that you need sustain+expression for the FA08 and sustain+expression+leslie for the Electro? (Nothing for the Lead?). If so two individual pedalboards could be appropriate - just take one when you're running the Electro solo. You could loom in a midi cable to the FA08 pedalboard cables to connect the Electro - or indeed multiple MIDI cables for your three boards, and maybe the audio snake as well (or is that permanently in the rack?). That would start saving you quite a lot of set-up time if you colour-code all the connectors and sockets, as I mentioned above.

I must admit you seem to have a hell of a lot of individual bits of gear. You have a 16ch rackmount mixer and a "2nd small stereo mixer" and "a little Behringer mixer". Are the 2nd mixer and the Behringer the same?

Cheers, Mike.

Edited by stoken6 (03/22/17 06:41 AM)

#2843615 - 03/22/17 07:27 AM Re: Down to five cables! [Re: stoken6]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've thought of the idea of the 2 separate pedal boards, the reason that doesn't work is the expression for the Electro is at the far right and the leslie/sustain for it are at the far left. The FA pedals are in the middle.

It's 3 separate mixers. The 16ch is in the rack which is only used for the Floyd band. I mainly use the Behringer for the party band to mix the FA and Electro and have separate stereo outs to both the house and my speakers. The little mixer is a Ross 3 ch stereo that is my utility mixer. Used for controlling the sound fx samples for the floyd band, or for running a house monitor mix and my keys into for an IEM mixer.
www.echoesrocks.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner