Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2842900 - 03/19/17 04:22 PM CME
3dog Offline

Didn't find much about this line of keyboards on this forum so I thought I would start a thread. I am about 6 months into learning the keyboard after years of playing a wind controller and interfacing with iOS and Mac devices. I had an 88 key fully weighted keyboard that I started out on but I found it fatiguing practicing for hours so I got a QuNexus and found that I was practicing more as I could sit in my lounge chair and play. I was practicing even more with no back pain or fatigue. As the Qu was limited to 2 octaves of keys I ordered the CME 37 Air. I am finding that is just the right size and the iOS device and the CME fits nicely on my lap with no wires except for headphones. I am finding the key action allows me to play faster along with practing more. Glad I joined this forum and discovered the CME from a fellow member. [/img]

Edited by 3dog (03/20/17 06:17 AM)

KC Island
#2842901 - 03/19/17 04:30 PM Re: CME [Re: 3dog]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
I have a 25. I think Kawai James might have one of the newer blue tooth models. Great portable keyboard, I like it for synth sounds with its aftertouch sensor and other controllers. I also use it with Sibelius for step entry. It's compact, and light, and matches Apple design. It's playable, I can pull off some stuff on it, but it's not going to rank very high on best actions out there. Haha. But that's not what it's meant for. Enjoy!

#2842930 - 03/19/17 07:50 PM Re: CME [Re: ElmerJFudd]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: In a swamp due to GPS error
I've praised the Xkey before and will again. Its very hardy in use and the oddball tiny key-throw is a real boon to my aging hands. I have 2 standard AGO-type keyboards when I need a more serious pitch-bender or modulation means, but its earned its place as a robust tool. BTW, the free editor software for it is as basic as it gets, but you can customize the heck out of it to taste. The g/f was amused the first time I hit a chord and a pipe organ came out. Science is transmogrifying. shocked

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

#2842931 - 03/19/17 07:51 PM Re: CME [Re: ElmerJFudd]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Will it accept some form of sustain pedal? Over USB or Bluetooth?

#2842937 - 03/19/17 08:21 PM Re: CME [Re: miden]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

The 37-key version comes with a breakout capsule sporting MIDI and pedal jacks. I'm love having pedal sustain again, but I also advise something like my cheap fix of vinyl tape for cord strain relief. Fold a loop and tape 'er to the bottom, as MicroUSB jacks are muy delicate. I rarely travel for music purposes, but I recently hauled it all along in an oddball resin-based tool box I found that suits the gear well. Talk about night and day, when measured against a wheel-less flight case containing a 40-pound workstation.... OW!

#2842953 - 03/19/17 10:43 PM Re: CME [Re: David Emm]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

cool, thanks!

#2842995 - 03/20/17 06:15 AM Re: CME [Re: miden]
3dog Offline

In reference to cases, I purchased the CME upgrade case and I can put both the CME 37 Air in one and my QuNexus in the other part plus the charging cable and the other cable and camera connection adapter with room for more. Well worth the extra cost. The CME is a different animal from the Qu and doesn't really replace it so I am finding I still use both for different reasons.

#2842997 - 03/20/17 06:20 AM Re: CME [Re: David Emm]
3dog Offline

Originally Posted By: David Emm
The 37-key version comes with a breakout capsule sporting MIDI and pedal jacks. I'm love having pedal sustain again, but I also advise something like my cheap fix of vinyl tape for cord strain relief. Fold a loop and tape 'er to the bottom, as MicroUSB jacks are muy delicate. I rarely travel for music purposes, but I recently hauled it all along in an oddball resin-based tool box I found that suits the gear well. Talk about night and day, when measured against a wheel-less flight case containing a 40-pound workstation.... OW!
The 37 wireless version does not come with the breakout capsule.

#2842999 - 03/20/17 06:35 AM Re: CME [Re: 3dog]
tfort Offline

We have the XKey Air 37. It's great for travelling. My son uses it with GarageBand during car trips to noodle around or sketch out song ideas. We actually took it on a week long river trip last week instead of a ukelele we normally bring.

The owner/CEO responds personally to forum posts in a day or so at http://www.cme-pro.com/forums/. I've requested they make a 49 or 61 key version. Others want a model with no left-side buttons so they can place two side by side.

#2843006 - 03/20/17 07:06 AM Re: CME [Re: tfort]
3dog Offline

So far the air version is the only keyboard that will get me close to my goal of putting it on the top of my head and playing Amazing Grace in a church setting to out do Jordan Rudess. About 1:50 into this video Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=joS22XH-G3g

Edited by 3dog (03/20/17 07:07 AM)

#2843072 - 03/20/17 09:48 AM Re: CME [Re: 3dog]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: 3dog
Originally Posted By: David Emm
The 37 wireless version does not come with the breakout capsule.

? wich version does have this acapbility then? And don't you miss havng a sustain/expression option?

#2843080 - 03/20/17 10:02 AM Re: CME [Re: miden]
3dog Offline

There are two versions of the 37 and the differences are on the CME site. I hate wires and have iOS and Mac devices so Bluetooth Le is the way I roll. There is a sustain control so for me I don't see the need for a peddle interface but I am a beginner.

#2843232 - 03/20/17 06:09 PM Re: CME [Re: 3dog]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

oky dokes thanks smile

#2843248 - 03/20/17 07:28 PM Re: CME [Re: 3dog]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

[/quote] The 37 wireless version does not come with the breakout capsule. [/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that. I'm such a desktop adherent that Bluetooth doesn't address any of *my* real-world needs, but I shouldn't gloss over the merits of pads. CME was smart to offer Bluetooth; it seems like a natural partner for the left-field XKey position in the market. Of course, being a neo-relic who got to see The Strawbs and Blue Oyster Cult do a double-bill show (weird match, there), I get all sniffy if you haven't dripped some sweat, woodshedding over a *real* keyboard. grin I will never be invited to head a NAMM booth for Keith McMillen.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner