Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2842887 - 03/19/17 02:16 PM So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio)
drockfresh Offline

Finally! The 147 is up and running! laugh

I want to put a permanent mic setup on it and I'm no tracking engineer.

* will have to be close-miced (don't have the space to pull it back in the room)

* would prefer to use *two mics and *not three because of available preamp channels. *one mic would be even better.

The back is open (no covers on the top and bottom vents) and I can't really turn it around in the room because I need access to the volume control (and custom "stop switch!" on the preamp).

I have a few dynamics: SM57(x2), SM7B, MD421

And an AT4050 Condenser

I'm willing to sell some or all of my mics to get ones that work the best. Smaller mics would be even better (small diaphram condenser).

This is a permanent setup for my little production studio

Where do I get started? shocked

Edited by drockfresh (03/19/17 10:03 PM)

KC Island
#2842889 - 03/19/17 02:41 PM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: drockfresh]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Might be worth taking a look at this article.

#2842891 - 03/19/17 02:47 PM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: timwat]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
For a close sound, 2x57 in an xy pattern (90 degrees) centered on the middle of the upper rotor. 421 on the bass baffle.

OR, if you don't really need stereo, point the AT at the Center of the cab...move up or down, depending on how loud you want the bass.

#2842894 - 03/19/17 02:54 PM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: ABECK]
drockfresh Offline

Originally Posted By: ABECK
For a close sound, 2x57 in an xy pattern (90 degrees) centered on the middle of the upper rotor. 421 on the bass baffle.

OR, if you don't really need stereo, point the AT at the Center of the cab...move up or down, depending on how loud you want the bass.

AT at the center of the cab it is. Don't need stereo. Actually prefer mono (and only having one channel on mixdown). Bam! This is done. Thank you like

#2842897 - 03/19/17 03:21 PM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: drockfresh]
drockfresh Offline

Getting way too much room noise (key clicking etc) on the AT4050

Gonna have to put up some baffles

Edited by drockfresh (03/19/17 03:22 PM)

#2842908 - 03/19/17 05:05 PM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: drockfresh]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Try a 57 on the horn and the MD421 on the woofer, set all the way to M. Getting close enough might eliminate room noise.

Btw you should try the XY setup. It's soooo good.
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2842921 - 03/19/17 07:15 PM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: WesG]
CEB Offline
10k Club

How much money do you want to spend on mics? Seriously. This can get really expensive if you want it to.

You need two mics on the horn else you are just wasting your time reaching out to old Hammond guys because that is how it is done. Best result I ever heard was a 122 in a large isolated room with a pair of Neumann condensers on the top rotor and some expensive flat ribbon lookin mic of the bottom rotor. But if you need to close proximity mic it then that is overkill. You change mic placements to change the sound of the Leslie..... How much chop do you want etc....

My old set of road mics aren't bad for the money if you have to close mic. A pair of EV Co 4s and a AKG D112 on the bottom rotor. Not my choice for studio mics ...., but it is all about budget.

If the room situation is bad enough maybe a Vent would work best.

Edited by CEB (03/19/17 07:37 PM)

#2842935 - 03/19/17 07:58 PM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: CEB]
drockfresh Offline

Originally Posted By: CEB
How much money do you want to spend on mics? Seriously. This can get really expensive if you want it to.

You need two mics on the horn else you are just wasting your time reaching out to old Hammond guys because that is how it is done. Best result I ever heard was a 122 in a large isolated room with a pair of Neumann condensers on the top rotor and some expensive flat ribbon lookin mic of the bottom rotor. But if you need to close proximity mic it then that is overkill. You change mic placements to change the sound of the Leslie..... How much chop do you want etc....

My old set of road mics aren't bad for the money if you have to close mic. A pair of EV Co 4s and a AKG D112 on the bottom rotor. Not my choice for studio mics ...., but it is all about budget.

If the room situation is bad enough maybe a Vent would work best.

Yup. The room situation is terrible. It's very small.
The only hope is trying to surround the mic with baffles.
I'm trying to use the Leslie because it is *fun* and inspiring

I'll try two mics on the horn. X/Y and straight in.

The 147 is also a little *noisy* even though it just got fixed up. Recapped and such.
The tech said a little noise is normal. I know the vent would be easier but I'm trying not to be lazy.

#2842943 - 03/19/17 08:49 PM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: drockfresh]
B3Nut Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Mount Horeb, WI USA
I usually record with an XY pair of Audix i5's on the horn, but have gotten fine live tracks with single mic top and bottom. If the desired result is a mono track you don't need two horn mics, two can actually work against you in mono especially on fast. This is why I like XY for stereo...collapses to mono without phase issues or turkey-gobble effects. Single-mic techniques can be really effective too. Sometimes less really is more.

TP
http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

#2842948 - 03/19/17 09:37 PM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: B3Nut]
Ross Ward Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK
My go-to setup is Shure SM57s on top and Electro-Voice RE20 on bottom. But, that's three mics, so might not be what you're looking for. I'm positive there are any number of higher end mics you could put on the Leslie, especially on bottom (Neumann U47, anyone?), but as far as inexpensive mics go, I really like where the RE20 sits in the mix with a band on the low end. The only other mics I've tried on top were Shure SM81s, and they were too clean, so I switched to SM57s and never looked back.

#2842955 - 03/19/17 11:30 PM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: Ross Ward]
Analogaddict Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By: Ross Ward
My go-to setup is Shure SM57s on top and Electro-Voice RE20 on bottom. But, that's three mics, so might not be what you're looking for. I'm positive there are any number of higher end mics you could put on the Leslie, especially on bottom (Neumann U47, anyone?), but as far as inexpensive mics go, I really like where the RE20 sits in the mix with a band on the low end. The only other mics I've tried on top were Shure SM81s, and they were too clean, so I switched to SM57s and never looked back.

I use an RE-20 on the bass drum too and either 2 x SM57 or a pair of Royer R-101. I think both rigs sit well in a mix. The Royers are outstanding IMO but the SM57:s don't pick up as much noise from other instruments. I have a very good room though, that helps a lot!

#2843011 - 03/20/17 07:13 AM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: Analogaddict]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Being obviously obvious but you need 3 mics to capture a sense of movement through panning. There is no fast hard rule though on how hard you pan the upper rotor. Different settings sound better for different stuff. In rock band you close mic'd everything because you had to but in a isolated recording environment mic placements and panning is an art and a huge part of the recorded Leslie sound. Close mic placement is cool also. There are no rules.

#2843041 - 03/20/17 08:34 AM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: CEB]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Micing a Leslie cabinet is very subjective, no single solution works for everybody.

The Shure article leaves a lot to be desired. There is no mention of other factors that contribute to the sound of a mic'd Leslie.

1) Distance of cabinet from a stationary wall. I prefer the Leslie placed right against a wall. This produces reflections that I don't hear with the cabinet in the middle of open space.

2) Mic distance from the rotors. The closer you place the mic to the rotors, the more of a tremolo effect you hear and the more wind noise at fast rotor speed. Wind screens don't always work, and I never liked mics internally placed inside the cabinet - see below. Move the mic further back to reduce the wind noise and get more of the complex chorus effect with the combination of the rotor and the ambient reflections.

I use a 760 and I get a good sound placing the mic on the side of the cabinet furthest from the rotor. That works for studio and gigging. Move it too far away and you start getting bleed from the other amps in the room.

3) Mic choice. Years ago I experimented with micing my 760 in isolation using different mics. The choice of mic on the top rotor makes a HUGE impact on the sound. I tried condensers, '57s, 58s, other ones. The mic I settled on is an AKG D321 dynamic. This is a very subjective choice, as everybody has a sound they want.

Bass rotor is less critical. My mic choice was an old Radio Shack condenser (!) that I heard contained reject capsules from Shure SM81s. Knowing that a lot of electronic and audio components from Radio Shack were reject parts, this may not be too far from the truth.

This is why I don't like mics internally mounted in the cabinet - it really limits the options for choice of mics. The sound with an internally mounted mic produces too much tremolo for my taste.

Using two mics on top rotor... I don't have anything to offer as I haven't done it.

#2843046 - 03/20/17 08:37 AM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: The Real MC]
CEB Offline
10k Club

For live sound, Leslies love to sit in corners.

#2843059 - 03/20/17 09:27 AM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: CEB]
mate stubb Online   content
10k Club

Don't cut your diffusers off. Been there, done that. Whap whap whap!

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2843086 - 03/20/17 10:29 AM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: mate stubb]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Don't cut your diffusers off. Been there, done that. Whap whap whap!

I never thought of that. It is painfully obvious now that you mention it. I didn't cut mine off, they self-destructed at a gig and went flying out as shrapnel into the crowd on the dance floor!

#2843089 - 03/20/17 10:30 AM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: Wastrel]
CEB Offline
10k Club

That would sound harsher than a mother hubbard.

#2843101 - 03/20/17 11:15 AM Re: So.. I have to mic a leslie (in the studio) [Re: CEB]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
I think you're starting to see that there really is no one, magic way to best mic a Leslie. Even after you think you've got the right distance, angles, volume, balance, etc...then you still have to put the track up in a mix against everything else. What you thought was perfection might be total crap in context with the song, band, mix, etc.....
Fun stuff, am I right?!

Footnote: Only once did I try mic'ing the top rotors from opposite sides of the cab. Utter failure.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner