Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

db,

Earlier in the thread, you had mentioned v5 seemed to have better LF output than v3. Is that still the case after your A/B shootout?

What I was talking about is that you have to plug the sub out on the v3 to get it to not fart. Once you do that, the LF on the V3 is just fine. We did do that today with the older unit.

Overall though, I'd say the v3 was the one with the more full low end. When I hit low piano notes on the v3, they sounded more alive. Maybe it was just another artifact of the "compression" thing - I dunno. DId Aspen say he changed the internal amps? I don;t recall, and I don't want to go picking back through the thread to try and find it... :eek:

Now that I have both here, I can test a bit more.

And...except for that possible improvement (and the schlep factor), it sounds like v5 has some noticeable disadvantages vis a vis v3:

1. MR congestion

2. "compressed" dynamics

3. lower apparent SPL

Yup. Only v5 advantages I see so far are the lower weight and the fact that the jacks are now sealed.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

And...except for that possible improvement (and the schlep factor), it sounds like v5 has some noticeable disadvantages vis a vis v3:

1. MR congestion

2. "compressed" dynamics

3. lower apparent SPL

Yup. Only v5 advantages I see so far are the lower weight and the fact that the jacks are now sealed.

dB

So if you had to do it again, would you

a) stick with the v3 at the higher weight

b) go with the v5 anyway because, to you, the advantages of the v3 are not worth the extra weight

c) skip the SS entirely, because the v3 is too heavy for you, and the v5 is too sonically compromised for you?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

So if you had to do it again, would you

a) stick with the v3 at the higher weight

b) go with the v5 anyway because, to you, the advantages of the v3 are not worth the extra weight

c) skip the SS entirely, because the v3 is too heavy for you, and the v5 is too sonically compromised for you?

I love the v3 to bits. May be my favorite combo amp ever. It was not too heavy for me - was less than my Motion Sound - although it was certainly more than one would expect from something that size.

I got the v5 because I blew a driver on my v3, so Aspen took the opportunity to give me a new one. I admit - I jumped at the opportunity to get a lighter unit (why not, right?), but if I had any idea of the difference in sound, I most likely would not have taken the v5.

So how long are you gonna let your amp live in TO?

Hopefully until after my next gig. :D

dB

My personal take on the weight of the v3 unit is, while it is kind of a heavy little bugger, it's such small package that it's less of an issue because of the ergonomics. When I carry mine, my arm holding it is pretty close to my body. At least for me, that feels like less of a strain than something bigger and more cumbersome. YMMV...

I'll leave the unit with dB for a week or so if any other local peeps are interested A/Bing them together. And if that's OK with dB of course.....

I'll leave the unit with dB for a week or so if any other local peeps are interested A/Bing them together. And if that's OK with dB of course.....

So, how far away does Aspen live? ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My personal take on the weight of the v3 unit is, while it is kind of a heavy little bugger, it's such small package that it's less of an issue because of the ergonomics. When I carry mine, my arm holding it is pretty close to my body. At least for me, that feels like less of a strain than something bigger and more cumbersome. YMMV...

I carry mine in a rolling case for an 8 channel PA head, so - as previously mentioned - the weight wasn't that big a deal to me.

Sure... :thu:

dB

I believe there have been two different revisions since the v3 was released. One took the weight down a few pounds - I'm not sure of the specifics, or of any other changes to the electronics or drivers. The latest version took the weight down a bunch more - again, not sure of the specifics of other changes to any electronics or drivers, if any. The v3's output jack weren't sealed, so it has an issue with air coming through it with high volume/low frequency program material. That has been fixed in the current rev.

While there has been no official name change, we've been referring to them that way to keep straight which one we're talking about.

dB

so the experts are advising that improvements to the v3 made it ... worse? huh. that is a thickening plot indeed!

I dont know about "experts", but I definitely prefer the v3. In no way do I claim to speak for everyone, though. YMMV... :idk:

I'm not sure too many people will even get the opportunity to compare the two, so I imagine it won't be much of an issue. As I've said a few times - the v5 still sounds like a Space Station. :thu:

dB

My old Behringer packed in after 5 years of faithful service. I'm not gigging as much now, but I still need a monitor and something to go through at home when I'm not plugged into headphones.

The SSv3 (or 5, whatever!) would be perfect, but with my buying a Kronos at the end of the month, I'm not sure I can afford it. Are there any alternatives similar to the V3 that could get me by for the next year or so? I got on fine with my tiny Behringer, but would like something with a bit more oomph. Due to space issues, carrying around 2 PA speakers for monitoring simply isn't an option. Any thoughts?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

So I haz a question. If v3 is considered the first generation, v4 the second with slightly less weight, and v5 the current, any ideas where the serial numbers break so we know which one we have? I'm pretty sure mine is a v3 but am curious. I suppose I could slap it on the scales and check the weight.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

So I haz a question. If v3 is considered the first generation, v4 the second with slightly less weight, and v5 the current, any ideas where the serial numbers break so we know which one we have? I'm pretty sure mine is a v3 but am curious. I suppose I could slap it on the scales and check the weight.

Get on a scale with and without it. Based on an earlier post from Aspen:

first gen of the v3 = approx 41 lbs

2nd gen of the v3 ("v4") approx 39 lbs

3rd gen of the v3 ("v5") approx 32 lbs

In a post on 12/22/16, Aspen said that production run #9 of the SS3 was the first to incorporate the new digital switching power supply and plywood cabinet construction that characterize what we now call v.5. I don't think he mentioned the exact dates of production run #9, but his last post on KC (dated 2/3/17) offered this guidance regarding dates and serial numbers:

Hi Aspen,

Could you let us know please how we would identify the 'new' SSv3s (the lighter ones) for when they appear in retail chains...e.g. is there a serial number run to be looking out for?

The last 4 digits of the serial number tell you the month and year of it's production; so Run #10 made in October of last year will read '1016'.

I've had my SS3 for two years now, and it's served me well during that time. Unfortunately the sub out has stopped working. It's not a showstopper for me, as there are other ways, but it'd be handy neverthlees.

As I recall someone posted instructions as to how to get the amp out of the box, somewhere in the last 176 pages. Could somone repost that info if possible - save me the effort of trawling thru the thread. Many thanks in advance.

Legend Live, Leslie 251/147, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

Take heart folks, Aspen might be banned but he's still watching over us! He contacted me outside of the forum after seeing my post and sent me the instructions I was asking for. He also pointed out that the schematics for all his designs are available at https://aspenandassoc.com/schematics/

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh639/johntweed88/CPS%20chassis%20exchange%20instructions_zpsmng9ntui.jpg

Legend Live, Leslie 251/147, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

Hey, Dave.

If you go back to the original post that started this thread (Page #1, June 2014), you see that it was mine. I haven't been on KC for a long time (long story).

Anyway, I just saw that you had to ban Aspen. That's too bad. But rules are rules.

Just wanted to reinforce your comment that Aspen is "easy to find." He certainly is, and I have always found him accessible via direct email and phone calls.

Thanks for moderating this site, and also for contributing to this humungous SpaceStation thread!

Garnermike

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

hard for me to believe that I have had my CPS SS3 for 2 years now. Time passes quickly for me. Guess mine is the original v3.

Same here. Solid unit, no complaints.

Same. I got mine from Aspen's shop that Jan '15 just after NAMM. They were back-ordered in delivering to SW, so I imagine that makes mine one of the first dozen or two deployed. Just lent it out yesterday to a guitarist/singer who came back raving about the sound, and the familiar report that FOH pulled him out completely for the second set because it was doing such a nice job filling the large space on its own. I tend to buy early and "niche" with the intent for long miles, and this speaker has rewarded that tendency in spades.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Are you guys still talking about this?...

I guess I will check back in another year....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I'm still kind of hesitant on the XL. Yeah, I get the concept, and lord knows I'm a huge fan of the SSv3.

But I'm not sure the concept scales, especially vs. other alternatives. There's a high-fidelity thing that sort of matters at that price point vs. sheer volume.

We'll see. Aspen has proven me wrong before, let's see if he can do it again.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

In case any European friends are wondering, I enquired directly with Thomann and they said the ones they have in stock are all from August 2016, so on this basis it doesn't sound like they have any of the 'v5s'.