Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2842860 - 03/19/17 11:21 AM Cp40 vs krome
earl the pearl Offline

Every time I get to the store I love the AP Sounds of the korg.. However,I don't need a workstation
Because I'm playing in a Classic rock cover band.in that price range am I better valued with the Korg or would a stage piano better suit me such as the C40 or even the Roland rd800. Only Ap sounds are the issue here. Thanks

Nord E5D, EV ZLX12P,YMaha CP40

KC Island
#2842861 - 03/19/17 11:36 AM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: earl the pearl]
lvercaut Offline

Loc: Antwerp Belgium
Upcoming Korg Grandstage should be your keyboard then.
After owning almost every Yamaha ,Nord and Roland stagepiano's, i just purchased a Kronos 2.I like the Berlin(Bechstein)and the German D (Hamburg Steinway)so much more vs Yamaha CFX and CFIIIs.
But this is very personal...
Just me.

Edited by lvercaut (03/19/17 11:41 AM)

#2842863 - 03/19/17 11:57 AM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: lvercaut]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Kawai MP-7 should be on your short list.

I would spend the extra coin and get the CP-4 over the CP-40. It is way better feel. I would personally prefer the MOXF8 over the CP-40 regardless of whether or not I wanted workstation. The 40 is OK but nothing about it makes me want one.

RD-800 is fine. One of the few slabs I like right away out of the box.

Have you played a Korg RH-3 action yet? You should test drive one before you buy. It is very graded. It is OK. I play one. Not my favorite but it doesn't suck. If the Grandstage has the RH-3 I would probably pass on it personally.

I would get a MP-7 before getting either the CP-40 or Krome. If you absolutely have to buy one of those two .... I hated the Krome but didn't hate the CP-40. I thought the 88 key Kross played better than the Krome.

Edited by CEB (03/19/17 12:05 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2842865 - 03/19/17 12:09 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: CEB]
earl the pearl Offline

Mp7 not in the mix due to weight! I'll look at the grad stage and more at the Yamaha but nobody has one near here to test!

#2842867 - 03/19/17 12:27 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: earl the pearl]
CEB Offline
10k Club

The thing about the RH-3 is it heavy in the bass keys. Come to think about I liked it a lot in the Korg SV-1. I like playing the SV-1 a lot.

I don't like the bass keys being that firm on my Kronos because Kronos is primarily a synth running a bunch of splits and not a stage piano.

I don't know what a SV-1 weighs but it is a cool board.

#2842898 - 03/19/17 03:30 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: CEB]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
If I were only after AP I think I'd give the Krome 88 a miss. The action is not much fun to play (says me, you might disagree), and as good a keyboard as the Krome is, you'd be paying for a lot of features you're not using.

#2842902 - 03/19/17 04:40 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: CowboyNQ]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
I'll support your assertion that the Krome 88's action is not fun to play and add that it is a terrible action that Korg may need to rethink, YMMV. It does sound pretty good-looking however.

For AP sounds there are lots of stage pianos to look at:
Kawai ES-100 or 110
Yamaha P-255 or 115 in a pinch
Casio gives you a lot on the PX-5S or PX-560 at friendly price points
Even a PX-360
Roland DS8 has a just ok action, better than the Krome but quite packed with PCM sounds like the Krome.
Just some ideas.
The CP-40 is ok, if I could muster it, the CP-4 is a lot better all around and surprisingly light.

#2842912 - 03/19/17 05:26 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: ElmerJFudd]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
I own the Krome 73 and its basic sounds have really won me over. I imagine the 88 is better, because it doesn't have the crappy Fisher Price keyboard that hampers the 61 and 73.

If you can live with the wall-wart and el cheapo construction, it is a great deal.

#2842920 - 03/19/17 07:04 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: earl the pearl]
JB Sherry Offline

Loc: Saugerties, NY
Originally Posted By: earl the pearl

Because I'm playing in a Classic rock cover band

The Casio PX5s is perfect for that application. A very comfortable action married to a solid piano sound in an ultra-light and affordable package. If you don't care about splits/layers, you could go for a px350 for $300 less. Same piano sound and action.

Mind you, I would not choose Casio for a Jazz trio, but I'd happily opt for it for rock n' roll

#2842972 - 03/20/17 01:57 AM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: zephonic]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: zephonic
I own the Krome 73 and its basic sounds have really won me over. I imagine the 88 is better, because it doesn't have the crappy Fisher Price keyboard that hampers the 61 and 73.

If you can live with the wall-wart and el cheapo construction, it is a great deal.

Sadly, the 88 is not better. It's different, but not better. I'll add, again, my view only. I would not enjoy playing it if it were my "stage piano".

I should also add that I own a Krome 61 and LOVE it. But I don't love the action.

#2842973 - 03/20/17 02:04 AM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: CowboyNQ]
Lee T Offline

Loc: North West UK
Got to agree with the PX5-S recommendations. Get hold of Dave Weiser's gig piano patches to cut through the mix. Used the PX-5S in both a classic rock and roll and rock band and it does the job well.

#2843068 - 03/20/17 09:37 AM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: earl the pearl]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Every time I get to the store I love the AP Sounds of the korg.. However,I don't need a workstation
Because I'm playing in a Classic rock cover band.in that price range am I better valued with the Korg or would a stage piano better suit me such as the C40 or even the Roland rd800. Only Ap sounds are the issue here. Thanks

If the Krome speaks to you when playing AP in a way that other boards in the price range don't, then you might as well just get the Krome and ignore the other parts of the board. If all you care about is piano, pretty much everything does more than you need... the fact that the Krome does even more that you don't need than the CP40 and RD800 do is kind of irrelevant IMO.

That said, I'm among those unimpressed with the Krome action. You might check out the SV1 that CEB mentioned... it's not the exact same piano sound, but I think Korgs generally share a "korgishness" (maybe they're even different implementations of samples of the same pianos?), and I think the action is notably better, though the board is also heavier (38.5 lbs for the 73).

But if there are others in the price range that you haven't checked out, it's worth trying to play them as well to see if anything surprised you. Elmer provided a good list there. If I was buying a board for nothing but piano and wanted to keep the cost and weight down, personally, I'd probably lean toward the Kawai ES100/ES110 (though I haven't played the 110 yet).

#2843088 - 03/20/17 10:29 AM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: AnotherScott]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I liked the SV-1 pianos better than the pianos in the Kronos 2.

#2843090 - 03/20/17 10:37 AM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: CEB]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: CEB
I liked the SV-1 pianos better than the pianos in the Kronos 2.

Interesting! I've never directly compared them. I have a Kronos 61 which I've used for lots of things but not piano. I've used the SV-1, and at least for live purposes, I'm fine with its piano sound.

#2843104 - 03/20/17 11:30 AM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: AnotherScott]
CEB Offline
10k Club

The SV-1 is very punchy. It is what you want in a rock band. Maybe not as detailed as the Kronos but the SV-1 has a lot of punchy mids.

#2843114 - 03/20/17 12:04 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: CEB]
tucktronix Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: CEB
The SV-1 is very punchy. It is what you want in a rock band. Maybe not as detailed as the Kronos but the SV-1 has a lot of punchy mids.

Oddly enough, I wasn't very pleased with the SV-1's piano. For starters, it would not cut through very well in the mix. I'll have both the volume knob and QSC K12 cranked all the way up and it would still be barely audible. It also sounded very thin to me around middle C. I ended up selling mine a year later.

Me & The Boyz
Chris Beard Band

#2843124 - 03/20/17 01:04 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: tucktronix]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: tucktronix

Oddly enough, I wasn't very pleased with the SV-1's piano. For starters, it would not cut through very well in the mix

I haven't had that issue, but also, I haven't used it all that much, and I've been using it at rehearsal where it doesn't have to fill as large a space. One thing that's nice about the SV1 of course is all the direct knobby control. Did you try playing with the EQ, compressor, and touch curbes? Those are the typical go-to's for cutting through. Also, if you use the editor app, you can further experiment by changing the frequency assigned to the mid EQ knob. Anyway, I see your current rig includes PX5S and NE5D... what have you settled on for your go-to piano sound?

#2843130 - 03/20/17 01:27 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: AnotherScott]
tucktronix Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Originally Posted By: tucktronix

Oddly enough, I wasn't very pleased with the SV-1's piano. For starters, it would not cut through very well in the mix

I haven't had that issue, but also, I haven't used it all that much, and I've been using it at rehearsal where it doesn't have to fill as large a space. One thing that's nice about the SV1 of course is all the direct knobby control. Did you try playing with the EQ, compressor, and touch curbes? Those are the typical go-to's for cutting through. Also, if you use the editor app, you can further experiment by changing the frequency assigned to the mid EQ knob. Anyway, I see your current rig includes PX5S and NE5D... what have you settled on for your go-to piano sound?

It's been quite a while since I've sold my SV-1, so I can't remember all that I've tried. I do remember using the editor at some point in time.

First replaced it with a demo MOX8 and it started acting squirelly after 2 yrs of use.. finally bought the PX5S afterward. LayerRockPno has been my go-to piano, especially for all of my blues gigs.. very bright, cuts through very well.

Edited by tucktronix (03/20/17 01:28 PM)

Me & The Boyz
Chris Beard Band

#2843133 - 03/20/17 01:48 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: AnotherScott]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

I'm among those unimpressed with the Krome action. You might check out the SV1 that CEB mentioned... it's not the exact same piano sound, but I think Korgs generally share a "korgishness" (maybe they're even different implementations of samples of the same pianos?), and I think the action is notably better, though the board is also heavier (38.5 lbs for the 73).

This pretty much sums up my attitude to the SV-1 as well.

I gig mine regularly, and think the RH3 action in it is excellent for piano playing, although again, it's not universally loved so you'd want to make your own judgement there.

Like CEB and Scott, I like the AP sounds fine for live use, although I did need to EQ them a bit to get them to shine in the mix. The EP sounds are incredible, although appreciate that's not what you want it for.

The darn thing is VERY heavy though! Then add the weight of a road case and its unusual shape into the mix and it's probably the most unwieldy keyboard I've ever owned.

#2843194 - 03/20/17 03:53 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: AnotherScott]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
You might check out the SV1 that CEB mentioned... it's not the exact same piano sound, but I think Korgs generally share a "korgishness" (maybe they're even different implementations of samples of the same pianos?), and I think the action is notably better, though the board is also heavier (38.5 lbs for the 73).

To my ears, the Kronos/Krome piano sounds different from what came before (SV1/M3/SP etc.). I never much liked the older models, but I'm on board with the newer ones.

#2843446 - 03/21/17 11:34 AM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: earl the pearl]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Loc: MN, U.S.
I've played all three of the keyboards mentioned. I would say again that piano sounds are VERY subjective. No two people have the exact same preference in tone.

That being said, from what I remember, my order of preference would be:

1. Roland RD-800
2. Yamaha CP40
3. Korg Krome

I am traditionally a Yamaha guy, but I did not care for the CP40 as much as some. I would go for the CP4 if you can afford it. HOWEVER: if you can't justify it, in my opinion, get the RD-800. It has a graded action, I believe. My only thing with that keyboard was the textured black keys - not my thing.

The Korg Krome is one of those keyboards that you either hate or love. it has Korg's Natural Weighted Hammer Action. I personally do not like the keybed, as many others have said as well. If you were more synth-oriented, I would say the Korg would work fine.

Another option would be the Yamaha MOXF. The 88-key model retails at almost the same price as the Krome 88. Everyone will have a different taste. Mine personally was for the Yamaha Motif XF piano, but that is also basically in the MOXF. The MOXF8 only weighs something like 32.8 lbs. You can also expand the memory up to 1GB with a Yamaha brand flash board or even 2GB with the MuTec-brand board. This way you can add more piano sounds, etc. to the MOXF. A few are free, and there are many that can be purchased as well. it also has the Graded Hammer Standard action on the 88.

Another thing: the CP40 and the CP4 both use some physical modeling technology in the pianos, called "Spectral Component Modeling".

The best value in this group in my opinion would by far be the Yamaha MOXF. It is similar to the Korg in functionality too. :-)

IMPORTANT: If you like the piano sound on the Korg enough, just get that. It took me three years to finally decide on my main keyboard.

-Max

Titano Virtuoso Converter accordion, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370. Kimball Valencia/Broadway organs, Shure SM-57

#2843782 - 03/22/17 05:54 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: earl the pearl]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I'll look at the grad stage and more at the Yamaha but nobody has one near here to test!

Grandstage isn't out yet, no date announced, they just demonstrated a prototype so far. My guess is that it will not be in the price range you're looking in, though.

#2843947 - 03/23/17 07:24 AM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: AnotherScott]
earl the pearl Offline

Think its between the CP 40 and the RD800. Thanks for all the feedback

#2843950 - 03/23/17 07:36 AM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: earl the pearl]
CEB Offline
10k Club

The RD800 is just as heavy as the MP7. I don't know about the CP40.

I like the RD800. I just remember you said the MP7 was too heavy.

#2843993 - 03/23/17 09:23 AM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: CEB]
earl the pearl Offline

On second check CEB you are correct and that's an important factor for me.Thanks for the double check

#2844136 - 03/23/17 06:52 PM Re: Cp40 vs krome [Re: earl the pearl]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I have never even seen a Yamaha CP40 much less played one.

That being said, I have been more than satisfied with the Yamaha P120 that I got for 50 dollars last summer.

As far as pre CP4 Yamahas go, the ones I like are - the P120, the Motif XS8 " Glasgow" sample and a real underdog, the P-35.

The P-35 sounds very much like the Motif XS Glasgow or Full Concert Grand. The P120 has the edge for me because of the dedicated brightness control and thetouch sensitivity button.

I like the EP's in the P 120 too. The Wurli is really nice (though it lacks good tremelo) but the Rhodes is not bad particularly in Phaser mode. The only issue is that I am constantly adjusting the touch or the bark.

I kept the P 120 and sold a CP33 on garage sale. I haven't felt the need for a CP4, as I am OK with the older classic Yamaha action.

Also ... the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about , of course. More Pokey but not too Hokey.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner