Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2842787 - 03/18/17 11:51 PM Korg CX series still worth it?
SteeVtheRipper Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone. I was wondering if the newer Korg CX/BX series clones still hold their own against the modern bunch. I've had a Mojo on my radar for a while but I've always liked the Korg models. EPs on the Mojo aside, do you think the old Korgs are still worth the purchase? Used you can get them under $1000 but very often I see them at a grand. I wonder if the extra $500 bucks for the Mojo is really worth it. Anyone who's had both or currently has both care to chime in?

Ugh I saw a BX3 for $800 not too long ago, didn't have the cash. I also saw an A100 for $200, again no cash. I just don't know what to get!

KC Island
#2842806 - 03/19/17 05:51 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: SteeVtheRipper]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
I have a ver 2 CX-3. I wont sell it, still use it occasionally for gigs..they are still pretty good but the new Mojo probably has a bit more going on because of the new tech...they really have gotten better, a bunch of them. I'm a multi-keyboardist type player, not an organist, so keep that in mind!
But then again if I were in a whole for $500-700...an old Korg CX-3 ver 2 for $800 ain't to shabby for gigging.... I think Larry Goldings may still use his for touring (vids with James Taylor etc..) so that may give you some perspective...this was 2009 - 8 years ago....Larry's solo kicks in about 3:04 or so!
For ensemble playing it still holds it's own in a multi-keyboard rig I feel....you can't really go wrong with it...it's not perfect though....it's percussion is not the greatest...

vid didn't open from the forum...try this link directly by copy/paste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhCuKvbXx9E

Edited by Legatoboy (03/19/17 06:05 AM)

#2842817 - 03/19/17 07:16 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Legatoboy]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
I believe in the video above the Korg is running through a leslie. You won't obtain that total sound through the internal leslie of the CX3. Guy Allison used a CX3 through a leslie on the Doobies World Gone Crazy tour; it sounded pretty good alot of it due to the leslie. The technology is 17 years old, older than an XK3. For $500 more you can get today's technology, and can get away with using an internal leslie. I guess it depends on your passion for the sound. No non-musician in the crowd will notice the difference

#2842819 - 03/19/17 07:30 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Delaware Dave]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've owned and performed with both. Get the Mojo. Better sound, better keyboard, and much lighter.

#2842837 - 03/19/17 09:03 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: HammondDave]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

The (digital) CX3 had two keyboards... I thought that the original version with the lipped keys felt better than the later version with the waterfall (and I did not find the small, curved lip to be an impediment itself). The double set of drawbars is nice. Rotary shortcoming can be easily addressed with Ventilator if need be. But yeah, at that point, you're up in mojo price territory and that CX3 is up there at 37.5 lbs, the Mojo 61 is 25.35. I'm actually a little surprised that the Mojo 61 is even as heavy as it is, with the Hammond SK1 being just 16 lbs, and with other lighter-than Mojos in the Numa Organ and Nord Electro 5D, even in their 73-key configs.

#2842839 - 03/19/17 09:09 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: HammondDave]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: HammondDave
I've owned and performed with both. Get the Mojo. Better sound, better keyboard, and much lighter.

Despite the fact that I work with Crumar.... idea

I currently have a Mojo61 sitting under a Kronos in my studio. I've been trying to set them up as kind of an upper/lower manual kind of thing in the hopes of getting them closer to each other, sound-wise. For the life of me, I simply cannot get the Kronos' CX3 engine to sound as good (to me) as the Mojo. Most of that seems to do with the attack/click/percussion - the Mojo just has more bite - but even the body of the Mojo's sound is more raw, aggressive and full to my ear. I went through the entire CX3 bank - none of the sounds there get me to where the Mojo does, even after tweaking. The Kronos is just too damn nice...or maybe too polished would be more accurate, I dunno... idk

The drag is that I can't justify taking the Mojo to gigs. I need the synthesizers in the Kronos, so I keep hoping I'll be able to tweak the Kronos organ to get it closer to what I want.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2842840 - 03/19/17 09:14 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Dave Bryce]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
I went through the entire CX3 bank - none of the sounds there get me to where the Mojo does, even after tweaking. The Kronos is just too damn nice. idk

The drag is that I can't justify taking the Mojo to gigs. I need the synthesizers in the Kronos, so I keep hoping I'll be able to tweak the Kronos to get it closer to what I want.

Have you tried Kronos CX3 through Ventilator? The separate outs of the Kronos would really help there, in terms of not having to worry about switching it in or out, or having other non-organ sounds inadvertently sent through it.

#2842845 - 03/19/17 09:31 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: AnotherScott]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Have you tried Kronos CX3 through Ventilator?

How would that help me with the overall bite, specifically the attack/click/percussion?

To be clearer, I think the overall sound of the Kronos is more focused on what an organ should sound like when it comes out of speakers in a studio....that's what I mean by too much polish. I'm not sure if running that through a rotary sim will solve my problem. I actually suspect it has more to do with stripping away the effects on the Kronos and treating it more like a raw unprocessed live instrument.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2842846 - 03/19/17 09:32 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: AnotherScott]
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
For the life of me, I simply cannot get the Kronos' CX3 engine to sound as good (to me) as the Mojo.

Have you tried Kronos CX3 through Ventilator? The separate outs of the Kronos would really help there, in terms of not having to worry about switching it in or out, or having other non-organ sounds inadvertently sent through it.

I think these two quotes above sum it up perfectly. I have both a CX-3 and Kronos. Both desperately need a Vent as the Leslie sim is their weakest link. I believe the CX-3 engine in the Kronos has been tweaked a bit since the v2 CX-3 itself, but I haven't compared them that closely. With the Vent they're decent, but definitely not as good as the Mojo.

The bottom line for me: If I was starting fresh, and I couldn't get a CX-3 plus Ventilator substantially cheaper than the Mojo 61, it's a no brainer... the Mojo all day.

#2842856 - 03/19/17 11:03 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: AnotherScott]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana

Exactly how I do it. I also killed all of the effects in the Kronos. Still had to tweak numerous parameters in the Kronos and Vent to get it in the ballpark.

#2842864 - 03/19/17 12:02 PM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Dave Bryce]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Have you tried Kronos CX3 through Ventilator?

How would that help me with the overall bite, specifically the attack/click/percussion?

Although you might not expect it, I have found that sometimes putting an organ sound through rotary can really alter the sound/impact of these things as well.

(I don't expect you'll be able to exactly duplicate the sound of the Mojo, but you might get it closer.)

Edited by AnotherScott (03/19/17 04:53 PM)

#2842873 - 03/19/17 01:01 PM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: AnotherScott]
Nadroj Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
How adjustable is the rotary on the CX3? Specifically the Kronos. When I was ABing it in a store, the organ tone itself sounded fine (though it WAS a bit clean, now that you've put the thought in my head, Dave) but the one turn off was the rotary speed. Specifically the accelaration.

#2842888 - 03/19/17 02:37 PM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Nadroj]
bennyray Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
They are many to tweak the organ on the Kronos.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjRsvDUxOPSAhXL7IMKHcRhDQUQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.korgforums.com%2Fforum%2FphpBB2%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D92199&usg=AFQjCNHHb8bcj5b3QRhV9fWKWgnwEga9ZA

Edited by bennyray (03/19/17 02:45 PM)

#2842905 - 03/19/17 05:03 PM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Dave Bryce]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
...The drag is that I can't justify taking the Mojo to gigs. I need the synthesizers in the Kronos, so I keep hoping I'll be able to tweak the Kronos organ to get it closer to what I want.

dB

Heck, yes! And one of the reasons they need to do a single manual 73/76k with pitch/mod wheels and the full Gemini sound engines - especially the GVA-1, and commission a few patch libraries from the usual suspects maybe.

#2843001 - 03/20/17 06:41 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here are two video shoots I did with a CX-3 and it's internal sim..
Why on the Kerry Kearney band video the organ does not sound as digital as it does on the the Hooch and the Bluesicians video I'm not 100% sure as both vids were recorded at the same studio a few years apart...must have just been the engineer's channel set up for each recording: (tunes start after some intro and talking eventually, fast forward)

I was a bit shocked how good sim sounded in the KKB video... I was going to take a Leslie but didn't that shoot so I decided to try it again on the Hooch shoot but that one the organ sounded more digital...I wasn't as happy with the organ's recording on that one..

lb

Edited by Legatoboy (03/20/17 06:45 AM)

#2843004 - 03/20/17 06:56 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Legatoboy]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
Hey Legato, when I saw you mentioned Kerry Kearney I figured you were a fellow Long Islander, then I saw that we're practically neighbors, I live in Huntington Station too.

#2843063 - 03/20/17 09:30 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: richforman]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I owned a cx3 (version 2) for less than a month, but returned it to guitar center (I bought it used). I liked the sound, the feel and the wood(ish) mojo--no pun intended!--but the double-triggering was too obnoxious. There was a "deep" setting that helped you avoid it, but then you wouldn't have the shallow waterfall action that was a primary reason for me to get it.

I ended up with a Roland VR700 for a bit more than the cx3. It sounds very different from the cx3, but I liked both of them...just different. The cx3, at least how I had it configured, was a thinner sound than the Roland, which is kind of "wooley" if that makes sense. I suspect it's not authentic but in a rock setting sounds good to me. The Roland feel is my favorite organ action of all, and I get pretty good use out of the non-organ sounds too. I have a friend who gigs with a mojo and Kronos (AND laptop!) ask me "what was making those horns and strings? They sounded great! The organ too." All the VR700. On the minus side, it's big and heavy and doesn't look as cool IMO with the gray back and sides.

Edited by Stokely (03/20/17 09:34 AM)

#2843071 - 03/20/17 09:47 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Stokely]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
A CX-3 sounding thinner than a Roland?

noblevibes.com

#2843100 - 03/20/17 11:15 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Outkaster]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Yes, at least through my friend's speakers. He had the older v-combo and I brought over the cx3. "Thin" sounds negative, "clear" could also be used, just brighter in general with the same drawbar settings on both. I liked it, and liked the v-combo sound as well, but they were quite different.

#2843108 - 03/20/17 11:45 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Outkaster]
tucktronix Offline
Platinum Member

I've gigged with a CX3/Vent combo for several years and have briefly played a Mojo61, here's my 2 cents..

If you can get a CX3 and Vent for less than a Mojo61(and if weight isn't an issue), I'd say go for it. The Vent more than makes up for the CX3's weak internal sim. What I can tell you from my brief encounter with Outkaster's Mojo61, I liked the action a bit better than than the CX3(similar to my Electro 5D.. just my observation). The internal sim was very good, obviously an exponential upgrade from my CX3's. I almost got one early last year(sold my Vent to get it.. the dough was paid to SW), but later after several shipment delays I backed out of the purchase to get an iMac and a Lester K pedal. Oddly enough, the Rhodes is what really blew me away about the Mojo. The tone is stellar.. similar to my Stage 73! I haven't used my CX3 in several months ever since I got my E5D, much to the happiness of my lower back smile.

The CX3 sounds killer when paired with a used 1st gen Ventilator. However, unless you can snag a used ver 2 CX3 and Vent for less scratch, the Mojo61 is the way to go.

Edited by tucktronix (03/20/17 11:52 AM)

Me & The Boyz
Chris Beard Band

#2843332 - 03/21/17 03:49 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: richforman]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: richforman
Hey Legato, when I saw you mentioned Kerry Kearney I figured you were a fellow Long Islander, then I saw that we're practically neighbors, I live in Huntington Station too.

Holy Cow Rich... come on over for a hang!

#2843443 - 03/21/17 11:23 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Legatoboy]
Joe P Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Valley, NJ
Great playing Tony - all-pro! thu

#2843457 - 03/21/17 12:06 PM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Joe P]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe P
Great playing Tony - all-pro! thu

Thanks Joe blush

#2843493 - 03/21/17 02:35 PM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Legatoboy]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Legatoboy

Maybe next time I visit my mom's place (in Centerport, where I grew up) the three of us can have a hang!

#2843530 - 03/21/17 05:28 PM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
SteeVtheRipper Offline

I definitely like the sound of the CX3 through the real Leslie in the first video. The other two sound good too, but they don't have the fullness of the Mojo. I think unless I found a screaming deal on a CX it makes more sense to get the Mojo. I do wish the Mojo 61 had 2 sets of drawbars. I want to start learning organ technique and it seems like most organ players feel like 2 sets is the minimum. I get why. But I like the idea of being able to expand the 61 into a dual manual, though o prefer the look of the full sized Mojo better with the B3 style cheek blocks. But I like the updated pianos and effects of the 61. Hmm decisions decisions. If they released a Mojo 61 with dual drawbar sets I'd grab that easy.

#2843534 - 03/21/17 05:34 PM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara

Maybe next time I visit my mom's place (in Centerport, where I grew up) the three of us can have a hang!

If you want to make it four, let me know!

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2843558 - 03/21/17 09:08 PM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Al Quinn]
Macsaint777 Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I owned a CX-3 version 2 for about 8 years. When I bought a Nord Electro 4D and then a 5D, I couldn't believe how much better the organ in the Nord sounded. I have noticed with the CX-3 in the Kronos as well as the hardware instrument, Korg seems to have been going for the sound of their old BX-3 more than a pure hammond emulation. It is still a very good simulation, but the Leslie effect is where it falls apart very quickly. As much as I enjoy the Nord, I really liked the dedicated clone feel of the CX-3. The Mojo sounds like a B3, and the Nord sounds like a cleaner B3. The CX-3 sounds like a high definition BX-3 (original not the new version)

Cheers.

#2843582 - 03/22/17 04:41 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara

Sounds like a plan Joe.... twothumbs

#2843584 - 03/22/17 04:48 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Legatoboy]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've been looking for Billy Payne using his Kronos(s) for organ using the CX-3 engines ...it's fairly recent 2016/17 on You Tube on a Live show...maybe 'Jamaica 2017'...I was watching it recently and he had a long stretch where he used the Kronos instead of his Hammond XK-3c....it sounded pretty full....I was surprised how good it sounded in the band mix ....

Edited by Legatoboy (03/22/17 10:01 AM)

#2843588 - 03/22/17 05:15 AM Re: Korg CX series still worth it? [Re: Legatoboy]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah he is amazing with whatever he does.

noblevibes.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner