Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#2850364 - 04/19/17 04:23 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I'm actually kinda ashamed I know any of this.

But "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy" WASN'T a Tommy Roe song. Was done by a group called THE OHIO EXPRESS.

And The Archies WEREN'T an actual band. Just a bunch of ( and probably reluctant) studio guys earning "day job" pay. wink

Wanna talk "bubble gum"? Well, my ex( who was my "steady" through that period) was BIG on it. I too, had my fill of --

The 1910 Fruitgum Company

The Cowsills

Andy Kim

The DiFranco Family

ECHH!

But, how can ANYONE forget Roe's "Jam Up and Jelly Tight"? grin

Or the "Dynamic Duo" of bubble gum, DONNY AND MARIE? wink
Whitefang

GP Island
#2850391 - 04/19/17 07:21 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
Some of those songs are shaking my brain so much dust is coming out my ears Ha Ha. For some reason it made me think of some other odd songs from that era that I likely dont remember the real titles. One about Fighting the british - we fired our guns but the british kept a comin there wasnt quite as many etc., and one about purple people eaters. My brother had the Tiny Tim album that had tip toe through the tuliups. Plus one with Larry on Petula Clark Downtown. Brain won't stop. Lots of Roger Miller songs and ???Jim Stafford (I don't like spiders and snakes). Dang Me etc. Great thread. Jim

#2850392 - 04/19/17 07:24 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: jimmac]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
By the way MY DING A LING was popular with the crouds when we played it at wedding receptions in the late 70's.

#2850395 - 04/19/17 07:40 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwzxRoNdFPE <----Here'sssss Tommy LOL! Yes, it was a cover of Ohio Express, but he did do a better job on the song (if that's even possible LOL!), and it was played on the radio,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4aQiFaCod8 <---and the Ohio original version is the one that really sucks and drives me even more nuts! Check out that bass! Looks like it has more than 4 strings...Sweet Pea was really bad but Dizzy was the topper for me LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWUafVsDlKQ <---Tommy Roe not doing the song is kind of like saying Johnny Rivers didn't do Memphis, it was Chuck Berry (I actually like Johnny's version better!). I have to give Tommy credit though for writing Sheila a tribute to Buddy Holly...covered by The Beatles, live in Hamburg. cool

Edited by Larryz (04/19/17 07:55 AM)

#2850566 - 04/20/17 05:20 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

JIM--You're thinking of Johnny Horton's "Battle Of New Orleans".

Those years were RIPE with that kind of stuff!

"Purple People Eater"
"The Witch Doctor"
"My Boomerang Won't Come Back"

Ray Stevens made a CAREER out of them! ("Ahab The Arab", "Jerimiah Peabody's etc. etc.", "Harry The Hairy Ape"). But...

"Bubble Gum" and novelty songs aren't one and the same. A friend of mine once likened it to OTHER pre-teen concepts by calling it "training rock" grin (likening it to pre-teen girl's "training bra's" grin )

Here's an interesting take on Tommy's "Sheila"--

"The ABC recording of the song is done in the style of the Lubbock sound, made popular by Buddy Holly and the Crickets in the late 1950s"

??? yeah, well, we ALL thought it was Tommy's "tribute" to Holly, and I'm sure Tommy MEANT it to be. But it looks like some aren't willing to GIVE it that due. WIKI strikes again! grin
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (04/20/17 05:21 AM)

#2850567 - 04/20/17 05:33 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: whitefang
And The Archies WEREN'T an actual band. Just a bunch of ( and probably reluctant) studio guys earning "day job" pay. wink

Please see the excellent film, The Wrecking Crew (2008/2014, directed by Denny Tedesco). You will find that musicians behind "The Archies" (and many others) were not reluctant, and often were making DAMN GOOD pay! AND- I am sure that you will really, really enjoy the film!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2850587 - 04/20/17 07:48 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RRXJdERku4 <---here's a song that sounds a lot like Elvis by Terry Stafford...it sounded so much like him, I thought it was him when it came out...when I was a little boy, I thought Carl Perkins doing Blue Suede Shoes was Elvis too LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Ll2frWOB4 <---same thing happened when Tommy Roe did his Sheila, I thought Buddy Holly came back to life!

Cue the Twilight Zone theme... cool

Edited by Larryz (04/20/17 07:57 AM)

#2850603 - 04/20/17 08:25 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: whitefang
Those years were RIPE with that kind of stuff!
"Purple People Eater"
"The Witch Doctor"
"My Boomerang Won't Come Back"

Don't forget "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"

#2850668 - 04/20/17 01:09 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And lest we not forget ye old Irish ditty: The Unicorn Song with the green alligators and long necked geese! sick

and, my favorite Halloween song: The Monster Mash! evil

and, I'll throw in Running Bear...loved little White Dove! mad

and, My Baby Does The Hanky Panky! facepalm

I think a whole thread on goofy songs would have been in order... cool

Edited by Larryz (04/20/17 01:23 PM)

#2850770 - 04/21/17 04:55 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Larry--

"Suspicion" by Terry Stafford won me a free lunch! Second only to that free joint I won on that "Move It On Over" bet.

A guy at the engine plant I worked in during that last of the '80's had his radio on the oldies station, and it came on. A lady asked him if it was Elvis, and he said "yes" with what HE thought was autority. I was working next to the lady, and chirped up, "No, it isn't. It's a guy named Terry Stafford." He was annoyed enough at the challenge to his "authority" that while the song was still playing, made the lunch bet. Not a FULL MINUTE went by when the song ended and the station's DJ announced, "That's TERRY STAFFORD with "Suspicion" from 1964!" grin

Yeah, I too thought at first it was Elvis. But I liked it enough to buy the 45 back in '64 when it came out. smile

Now, I'd say "Hanky Panky" is more "bubble gum" than novelty, as Tommy James and his Shondells were often thought of as "bubble gum" than a serious rock band. Even so, they did do a couple I liked. But of course, they WEREN'T "Crimson And Clover" or "Crystal Blue Persuasion". grin

I don't think "Running Bear" is or was even intended to be thought of as a novelty song. It did great on BOTH the country charts and pop charts. It was written by Jiles Richardson (The "Big Bopper") and came out a half year or so after his death in that infamous plane crash. Big joke at the time was, since the song was SO popular, someone would ask, "Do you like RUNNING BEAR?" and due to it's BEING so well liked, people would of course answer, "Yes." And completing the pun, the first person would THEN ask, "Don't you get COLD?" rolleyes

@Scott:

I LIKED "Itsy Bitsy, Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini". But I liked the "B" side,"Don't Dilly dally Sally" even BETTER!

But then, I WAS only 9years old at the time wink

And too, let's not overlook "Mr. Custer" by Larry Verne. Verne's voice to many of us sounded so much like Dennis Weaver's( Chester on Gunsmoke) we at first thought it WAS "Chester" doing it! grin
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (04/21/17 05:05 AM)

#2851051 - 04/22/17 01:15 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
HeadPop

All very entertaining but meanwhile C Berry remains the King of R&R for those basing their evaluation on musical achievement, skill level & commitment.
Elvis is the King for trivialists 'n' such.

Of course when some won't even let him be the King Of This Thread [ poke ], I guess the lesson is facepalm

#2851066 - 04/22/17 03:20 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: d
HeadPop

All very entertaining but meanwhile C Berry remains the King of R&R for those basing their evaluation on musical achievement, skill level & commitment.
Elvis is the King for trivialists 'n' such.

Of course when some won't even let him be the King Of This Thread [ poke ], I guess the lesson is facepalm

Yeah, and I gave in and meandered around here, myself... guilty as charged... blush

Think of the topically sideways-veering discussion on this thread as being similar to chattin' about the good ol' days and related memories and topics at a reception after calling-hours...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2851137 - 04/22/17 11:23 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Chuck Berry is the King of this thread...I made it so. Even you acknowledged "From One King to Another" in your 1st post D (see your YouTube clip of Elvis doing Johnny B. Goode)...

The real trivia is to keep worrying about the King issue. I appreciate all of the small talk and do not mind the many segues. +1 on Caevan's describing this chatter as bringing back the good old days. That is what I would be doing if I was attending a reception for Chuck Berry... cool

ps. I also love to see the thread come back to talking about Chuck Berry as much as possible. I truly miss him and feel very fortunate to have grown up with him during my early days of rock and roll...

Edited by Larryz (04/22/17 11:28 PM)
Edit Reason: ps.

#2851158 - 04/23/17 04:58 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Another way to look at it is that mentioning and acknowledging Chuck Berry's death, and all the "side-lining" that followed proves that Chuck dying DIDN'T mean that rock'n'roll too, died WITH him.

It was all sort of like being downstairs at a funeral home. You know, the place in many funeral homes where there's coffee and stuff where people gather and talk about all the old days and chatter about all the good times they all had when the deceased was alive. smile
Whitefang

#2851218 - 04/23/17 11:15 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sometimes the "side-lining" leads us back into the topic as it did with Tommy Roe being the King of Bubblegum and Scott wanting the crown to go to the Archies LOL! Which lead to a lot of songs that sold lots of records even though they were weird to say the least (as record sales were not a good measure of the King title)...but Tommy Roe writing Sheila in honor of Buddy Holly brought out my YT post of Fang pointing out he did a cover of Chuck Berry's Carol... cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luvIg2MOQ1Y <---I'll post it again for those that missed it. I think he did a great job on the cover.

Also, in talking about bubblegum music, I think it was one of the Keys to Chuck's writing success. He wrote about his high school days in his later years and could relate to what would get the kids rocking...his songs always had a little story that kids who were sweet little 16 could get into with coolerators full of ginger ale...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ECqL51SRUk <---I remember at 16 we all had our own cars in high school and lived many of the moments Chuck sang about from his hits like School Days...

Edited by Larryz (04/23/17 11:21 AM)

#2851232 - 04/23/17 01:01 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
IT WAS 30 YEARS AGO, uh, TODAY

Chuck Berry on Tonight show : cool perf & extended interview plus 2nd perf... & then Carson sends the other guests home & has CB do a 3rd tune !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdnFsSiUFjk

Release date for full CHUCK alb remains June 16.

#2851355 - 04/24/17 05:17 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks. I'm circling the date on my calendar once Im outta here.
Whitefang

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose