Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2848353 - 04/10/17 11:21 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Larryz
And BTW for D, even though you think he never created anything, Elvis is officially credited as a co-writer on All Shook Up, Heartbreak Hotel, Don't Be Cruel and Love Me Tender on this album... cool

I've always heard that Colonel Parker's demand for any song submissions being considered to record was that Elvis get co-writing credit. If a songwriter didn't agree, the song was instantly rejected.

GP Island
#2848421 - 04/10/17 06:22 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
HMMmmmm.......

Makes you kinda wonder what GEMS we all missed out on...

Whitefang

#2848454 - 04/10/17 11:16 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
And BTW for D, even though you think he never created anything, Elvis is officially credited as a co-writer on All Shook Up, Heartbreak Hotel, Don't Be Cruel and Love Me Tender on this album... cool

I've always heard that Colonel Parker's demand for any song submissions being considered to record was that Elvis get co-writing credit. If a songwriter didn't agree, the song was instantly rejected.

I've heard many stories like this, but if this was true, one must ask why only 4 songs out of 20 on this gold records album from 1958 have Elvis credited as the co-writer? Also, most artists do not write their own material. What is special about their songs is what they put into them. Pick Whitney Houston or Nat King Cole or Frank Sinatra or just insert name...Elvis co-wrote every song he ever recorded that had his special take on it. He also sold the most records of any individual, over twice that of Frank Sinatra and many other greats. The only ones that ever beat him were the Beatles LOL! And that was as a group none of them came within being mentioned as an individual and the same is true of Chuck Berry. He sold a ton of records but never got to the 75 million mark. Elvis had well over 200 million records sold. The writing credits were rarely shared with him...cool

Edited by Larryz (04/10/17 11:25 PM)

#2848475 - 04/11/17 04:47 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Whoa there, Calhoun! grin

Millions of people bought PET ROCKS too.

So what does ANY of that mean? wink

Millions of people re-elected George W Bush and Bill Clinton, but there's plenty out there that would say both were bad choices. wink

Take a deep breath and try to keep it all in perspective. Whether or not Elvis was actually a co-writer of some of his songs in their CREATION, or by what he PUT INTO their performances isn't the point here. What he did with a song REGARDLESS of who the composer was is what mattered. Same with Frank, Nat, Whitney or whomever. smile
Whitefang

#2848525 - 04/11/17 08:17 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Whoa there, Calhoun! grin

Millions of people bought PET ROCKS too.

So what does ANY of that mean? wink

Millions of people re-elected George W Bush and Bill Clinton, but there's plenty out there that would say both were bad choices. wink

Take a deep breath and try to keep it all in perspective. Whether or not Elvis was actually a co-writer of some of his songs in their CREATION, or by what he PUT INTO their performances isn't the point here. What he did with a song REGARDLESS of who the composer was is what mattered. Same with Frank, Nat, Whitney or whomever. smile
Whitefang

I believe that creation quote is repeating what I said LOL! I was mainly addressing Scott's comment with regard to the Colonel having the writers allow Elvis to be a co-writer if they wanted the job...only 4 songs out of 20 would indicate that would not be the case...so I looked at his Gold Records volumes 2 3 and 4 as well:

volume 2: 1 song with Otis Blackwell out of 20
volume 3: 0 out of 12
volume 4: 0 out of 18

so if that was part of the contract, you would think he would have got more credits as a co-writer...

The fact that Elvis sold more rock and roll records (or any of the other genres) than any human on earth here in the USA, may not mean anything to you but I think it makes him the KING with his fans! The title of Volume 2 is "50,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong". You can vote for any President you want for free. It costs money to buy records...or you can buy a pet rock if it makes your point. At least you'll have some rock in your collection LOL! cool

Edited by Larryz (04/11/17 09:46 AM)
Edit Reason: sp.

#2848551 - 04/11/17 09:14 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I was mainly addressing Scott's comment with regard to the Colonel having the writers allow Elvis to be a co-writer if they wanted the job...only 4 songs out of 20 would indicate that would not be the case...so I looked at his Gold Records volumes 2 3 and 4 as well:
volume 2: 1 song with Otis Blackwell out of 20
volume 3: 0 out of 12
volume 4: 0 our of 18
so if that was part of the contract, you would think he would have got more credits as a co-writer...

OK, that evidence would suggest it was not a policy in effect 100% of the time. As to the 5 co-writes in that record set, I won't speculate. I have no horse in that race. Still, the notion of Parker's demand for co-writing credit is a story I've heard more than once from various sources. But that's the nature of rumors once they get into circulation, just like Lennon's supposed statement about Ringo not being the best drummer in the Beatles, which never happened, but gets repeated all the time.

#2848565 - 04/11/17 09:46 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 Scott, there were only 4 writers on 4 of his Golden Hits albums that I know of that shared writing credits with Elvis: Otis Blackwell, Mae Axton, Tommy Durden and Vera Matson on those 5 songs. But, that rumor that you heard may have some validity as there was a ton of crap (mostly movie crap), that could have been co-written that I have never paid any attention to LOL! +1,000 I have no doubt that we can bury that rumor about Ringo! thu

#2848684 - 04/11/17 03:48 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Let's move it over to Chuck(since it's a Chuck Berry thread) there's THIS concerning co-writing "credit"---

In the 1950s, some record companies assigned publishing credits to disc jockeys and others who helped to promote a record, a form of payola by means of composer royalties. For this reason, the disc jockey Alan Freed received credit as a co-writer of "Maybellene". Russ Fratto, who had loaned money to Chess, also received credit.[8] (Some Chess insiders have said that Chess owed money to Fratto, a printer and stationer, for producing record labels.) The Freed and Fratto credits, which do not appear on the original Chess single (see the photograph above), were withdrawn in 1986.[9] However, as of 2014, these credits still appear on some reissues of Berry's recordings.--from WIKI

And I've never heard that Ringo rumor. And rumors do abound in the "biz". Like the reason BOB SEEGER's voice sounded like it did was because he had throat cancer. He didn't of course, and the same tripe circulated about MITCH RYDER too. Or how about the one in which ROD STEWART was rushed to a hospital after reacting violently to a bellyfull of SEMEN? Oy!
Whitefang

#2848694 - 04/11/17 04:27 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Surfing USA was released in '63 with Brian Wilson as the sole composer. After Berry's lawsuit wanting writing credits from his song Sweet Little Sixteen (the song the Beach Boys admitted they wrote the lyrics over) the record labels were re-labeled to C. Berry. Later on the Surfing USA album in '66 the co-writing credits are Brian Wilson/Chuck Berry. The song was later given to Arc Music, Berry's publishing company. Mike Love claimed he helped write Surfing USA too LOL! Berry told the Beach Boys he liked their version of the song. (according to Wiki). cool

#2848748 - 04/11/17 09:01 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Surfing USA was released in '63 with Brian Wilson as the sole composer. After Berry's lawsuit wanting writing credits from his song Sweet Little Sixteen (the song the Beach Boys admitted they wrote the lyrics over) the record labels were re-labeled to C. Berry as the writer. Later on the Surfing USA album in '66 the co-writing credits are Brian Wilson/Chuck Berry. The song was later given to Arc Music, Berry's publishing company. Mike Love claimed he helped write Surfing USA too LOL! Chuck Berry told the Beach Boys he liked their version of the song. (according to Wiki). cool

Edited by Larryz (04/11/17 09:02 PM)

#2848801 - 04/12/17 05:35 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

grin grin

Yeah, I learned early on( after asking the guy at Town&Country records) that the name under the band's or artist's name in parenthesis on the label was that of the songwriter. I still laugh now when I recall that knowing that fact, I for a while wondered who that "R.PENNIMAN" dude was that wrote all them Little Richard tunes! grin Well, he never DID use his full name professionally. blush
Whitefang

#2849626 - 04/15/17 08:33 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...

Thanks, SF.
That's, sadly not a situation that existed in those instances. Even today some producers will edge in on submissions.

Anywhat, the point of this is, as so often the case here, blurred by irrelevancies.

I quess it doesn't matter whether somebody on a relatively minor website wants to consider Elvis or anyone in particular "the King of TakeYerPick" but we are here in a forum for guitarists & in a thread meant to honor Chuck Berry so the idea that he carries greater weight than E the P bears defending.

Some are just stuck in their opinions without regard to logic or other devil tricks so I doubt this will convince them but consider these points...
/ Chuck wrote an almost non-ending great songs that had terrific music & lyrics that basically defined the emergent attitudes of young ppl in the 1950s. Elvis ? None.
/ Berry's recording of "J B Goode" was 1 of 27 musical recordings (3 from USA) selected to represent Earth on the Voyager 1 intergalactic space mission launched 1977.
/ While there's at least 1 bottom shelf track in CB's history (My Dingaling) there's a multi-level stack of Presley tracks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58z-eRUFt_E
where Elvis proves he had no allegiance to rock'n'roll.
Now Elvis's ability to turn in a convincing, affecting perf in many styles from show biz tripe to deep gospel was a true talent but hardly garners him the honor some accord him.

/ Berry's career was crimped by his arrests; Presley's, not by his oft-cited stint in the army but by his decade-long prostitution of his talent in over 2 dozen movies (of which maybe 3 + 2 halves had anything more than the tired repetition of "poor boy hasta prove his worth to get the girl").
/ The point that John Lennnon (& others) at some point cited EP as an early influence is countered by his (& many others) later deciding that Presley had let the flag drag in the dirt.
Presley was the 1st exposure many had to nascent rock&roll but he had no real long-term depth.
Presley descended into a life of lazy, repetitive offerings & personal hubris tinged with paranoia. Can y' imagine Chuck Berry tryna get Tricky Dick Nixon to gives him Secret DEA agent status so he could bust other musicians ?!

Of course, none of that's gonna convince some but I think it sets a sense of balanced value...so go ahead, take the last word here but that won't prove anything.

#2849668 - 04/15/17 10:15 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

If you're wanting me to have the last word D, I never take that opportunity but I will provide you with a comment now and then. If you go back to my post on 4/9/17, you will find that I totally agree with you on the crap Elvis did in his movies. On the Elvis side of that coin, he signed the contracts which took away his input on the music and he still honored those contracts. In my further discussion with Scott, I also pointed out that the rumor of Elvis sharing co-writing contracts negotiated by the Colonel could have been true in the movie tunes, as I never followed that later crap...

If you go into the history of Elvis on Heartbreak Hotel, one of his most famous entries into the world of selling hit records, you'll find that the Colonel was fighting for co-writing credits on E's behalf with RCA. I guess there are more royalties involved with writing credits and this may be where the rumor got started. Elvis did fight with RCA on the song recording and they didn't want to record or release the song. E got his way and it became his biggest hit...to which Keith Richards, George Harrison and others list as their biggest inspiration tune for rock and roll music when wanting to learn and play the guitar...Elvis was responsible for the recording techniques used in the studio and RCA found themselves with a true money maker. The same thing happened when Elvis had to fight for his Gospel album and his country album.

I didn't really want to keep on the topic comparing Elvis and Chuck, but will follow the discussion wherever it leads us. I would like to have just left MY RIP Chuck Berry thread, on that particular topic. But, it seems like someone wanted to pick on E a little bit more by comparing him to Chuck. I feel compelled to come to E's defense as "now and then, there's a fool such as I." LOL! So much for the Nixon, Secret Agent, DEA, Flag in the Dirt conspiracy theories for which there may be some truth...and I'm glad Jonny B got in the space archives even though Chuck borrowed the intro! May they both RIP. cool

ps. and interesting tidbit I discovered on the Clam song in the YT you posted...you'll find it comes directly from the marching cadence songs we sang in the Army...maybe Elvis did have a little say in that song material from his Army days..."Look to your right and what do you see? A bunch of maggots watching me...am I right or wrong, your right, tell me if I'm wrong, your right, sound off, one two three four."

Edited by Larryz (04/15/17 10:43 AM)
Edit Reason: ps.

#2849682 - 04/15/17 11:01 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

In many ways I agree with most of d's assessment of Elvis concerning his particular rock'n'roll tenure in entirety. But I never let those facts sway me from giving him full credit for quickly moving the music from dismissive racist epithets to it's recognition as a viable commercial music genre. But while writing credits are important, they don't make the whole case for any mantle. Sure, Chuck Berry wrote almost all of the tunes he's famous for, and was able to do them in a way that pleased his listeners. But that too, was uncommon in those times.

In another instance, many wouldn't argue over how GREAT a playwrite William Shakespeare was. But that doesn't make Laurence Olivier any less a thespian. And he's still considered one of the best Shakespearean actors who ever lived even though he wrote not ONE LINE of any of those plays. So, by THAT formulae, Elvis didn't WRITE any "great" rock'n'roll tunes, but the way he PERFORMED them is what MADE them great. Just listen to any other cover of a song he made "great" done by someone else, and you'll hear what I mean.

I mean, really....How many times have you HEARD what you thought was a "great" song, and have your first thought be, "WOW! Who wrote THAT one?" another example:

For the longest time, until Carol King released her "Tapestry" LP, just about EVERYBODY thought JAMES TAYLOR wrote "You've Got A Friend". But, once discovering the FACT, nobody liked James Taylor any LESS. smile
Whitefang

#2849708 - 04/15/17 01:13 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
I find it hard to imagine rock and roll without Elvis. After all, there were recordings that most consider rock and roll before Elvis. But it took Elvis to help create legitimacy.

#2849712 - 04/15/17 01:32 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: DocPate]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
As we slip still further from any valid points (who sold more records determines validity ? BTW, chk some facts, whatever amount of sales EP had has been surpassed by others), this discussion wanders around evading the plain fact that when one examines the talent of any rock & roll founders, Berry stands far above the others in every respect other than mellifluousness of vox.
Elvis was talented & got a lotta fame & attention, esp with the mainstream of listeners but that's really the only claim that can be made to support his place in history.

To be honest, to keep flogging that distortion, esp here in this thread, supposedly honoring Berry, is a demonstration that some can't honestly evaluate their heroes.
Worse, it's an insult to the "honor" that one imagines the thread's point to be.

Guess it was really all abt what most of the RIPs here turn out to be---be 1st to post & then we pile on w/ little examination of the reason someone should be remembered.

As the other primary candidate for "King of RocknRoll" (the aforementioned R Penniman rockit ) might say, "Shut up! Peach out, y'all!"

Richard says it for Chuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCKKPy6WX24

#2849745 - 04/15/17 10:52 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

http://list25.com/25-top-selling-music-artists-of-all-time/ <---I checked the fact D. No individual has surpassed Elvis in record sales and you can look up those facts on several sites besides Wiki. The only ones to surpass him are The Beatles... cool

#2849772 - 04/16/17 05:53 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think d's point in that( and I DO agree) goes into what we often agree on in the TCM forum....

That BOX OFFICE reciepts are NOT an indicator of any movie's quality. And that would be true of any song as well.

MILLIONS of girlies bought BEATLES records mostly BECAUSE they were Beatles records, and they too, ran the gamut from "great" songs to rather ordinary. Elvis too. Nobody will deny that his version of "Hound Dog" is an "iconic" rock'n'roll song, but I CAN'T say the same for "Wild In The Country". But because it too, was an Elvis tune, tons of girlies bought it too.

I'll go on record that I believe MUCH more guys got kicked in the ass to pick up a guitar and play by Chuck's inspiration than from Elvis. And that more guys got inspired to grow SIDEBURNS from Elvis than they did to play the guitar. wink
Whitefang

#2849786 - 04/16/17 08:00 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

It's good that you'll go on record Fang, you just won't reach 200 million like The King of rock and roll did LOL! The Beatles surpassed his record and I think it proves that they both had a ton of fans that loved them. Whether it was mop heads or sideburns is really not that important. People loved their music and proved it by buying it. Elvis inspired some of our favorite guitar players like Keith and George along with many others, as did The Beatles. I know many of my guitar playing buddies bought their song books (to include myself) when we were learning how to play the guitar. We still do when it comes to Stevie Ray. The biggest influences for E & B were a decade apart (Elvis 54's, Beatles 64's +/-). Chuck Berry no doubt inspired many too and his fans bought a ton of his records.

I always give singer song writers like Chuck, Paul, John and George, the extra credit they deserve, but you don't have to write music to be a big star like Frank Sinatra, Barbara Streisand, Michael Buble, Ray Charles, Joe Cocker, Elvis Presley, [insert name], etc. People have to buy into what you do in order for you to claim your role in rock and roll history, pop, jazz, blues, country, etc. Chuck Berry definitely claimed his historic role along with all those other guys and gals like Jim Croce, James Taylor, Carol King, John Fogerty, The Stones, The Eagles, Bob Dylan, etc... cool

Edited by Larryz (04/16/17 01:53 PM)

#2849954 - 04/17/17 05:40 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The misfortune in all of this is that you're so "locked in" on the record sales thing that you don't seem to recognize that I'm AGREEING with you! But then again...

d makes some strong points too. Like, when both Elvis and Chuck BOTH faded somewhat in the rock'n'roll charts, they were replaced on the playlists by others like The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones and others, how many of THEM did "covers" of old Elvis "hits"?

NONE as far as I know. Look on many of their early LPs and you'll find "covers" of old Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly and Bo Diddly tunes. But what matter?

It's odd to see two people who are RIGHT butt heads over it all.

But, IF you're gonna go with record sales, then it might seem like Elvis and The Beatles are fighting for the "King"/"Kings" of rock'n'roll title, but if you're gonna go by the SONGWRITING route, then hands down, LEIBER and STOLLER take the crown. wink

But I also have the feeling that all of them, Elvis, Chuck and anyone else you want to mention, would think this whole debate is ridiculous. If there IS a "Rock and Roll Heaven" like The Righteous Brothers sang about, I picture Elvis and Chuck sitting next to each other, poking each other in the ribs and laughing like CRAZY over all these posts. grin
Whitefang

#2849973 - 04/17/17 07:41 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

It's no misfortune, it's just stating a fact. A fact you and D may not agree with. But that doesn't make the comment into a debate or into butting heads. I have recognized the points you both bring up and have agreed where possible. My comments are just my comments and nothing more. That is what forums are all about. The fact that Elvis sold more records than Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, Bo Diddly, twice as many as Sinatra, along with all others except the Beatles, should tell you something...not that it would matter LOL!

Being well rounded you know the story of covering Carl Perkins when the boys told him he was playing it wrong as they were note for note copy cats. Carl explained he liked the Elvis intro better than his on Blue Suede Shoes...the Beatles definitely liked Honey Don't and even let Ringo Sing it. I'm not a fan of Buddy Holly (although I truly recognize his talent) so I'm not sure of which songs may have been covered by the Stones or the Beatles etc.? I do know the Animals (not mentioned) were the big cover artists on Bo Diddly tunes/style. Bo even came out to hear them play it when they came to his town...I would say the reason the Fab Four and the Stones didn't have time to cover Elvis (and that is a brand new and an unusual criteria for the King title) is that they were too busy writing their own material. Also, there were few records going back across the big pond for them to copy in their early days..."But what matter?"

As I have already said, I really appreciate the singer song writers like Chuck Berry, but there is no reason to write your own hits in order to be the King or to be a big recording star/artist...I really don't agree with the King of this or the King of that moniker as in "the King of Pop", etc. Elvis did not ask for or agree with the title but I'm sure it grew on him. Others, are more into arguing about it like Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis getting in a fight over it LOL! (Chuck won by the way!) Now BB King being the King, I like that one! You just can't write Elvis out of the history lesson...I have tried to agree with both you and D and I appreciate the discussion. I would like to leave Elvis out and just concentrate on Chuck Berry (if possible) but I don't want to mother hen this thread LOL! +1 If there is a rock and roll heaven, Chuck and Elvis are probably having a great time together playing rock and roll and not bothering to read these posts LOL! I hope... cool

Edited by Larryz (04/17/17 07:57 AM)

#2850132 - 04/17/17 06:01 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wow. I don't ever recall saying anything about NOT agreeing with you as to the fact of who sold more whatever. Just that huge record sales isn't any indication of a song's "greatness". I mean, Herman's Hermits "I'm Henry The VIII I Am" reached No.1 on the charts for a few weeks at least. I'd say that proves MY point! LOL wink

Incidentally, a "cover" of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away" was the Stones' first U.S. single release. As for Elvis not asking for or even agreeing with the "King" thing, it may well be. Bob Dylan hated it when he was kept being referred to as "The voice of a generation".

As for why none of them covered any Elvis during the "British Invasion", we'd have to ask Mick, Keith, Paul or Ringo the reason, as Elvis singles DID make their way over to England. ("Blue Suede Shoes" charting better there than here)

Maybe in "rock'n'roll heaven" both Chuck and Elvis, along with Johnny Cash( as I understand Cash and Elvis were both part of the same tour in the early days) are waitin' on Jerry Lee to get there so they can have fun givin' him a hard time! grin He was part of that same tour too, I think.
Whitefang

#2850149 - 04/17/17 08:27 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

We could do a whole thread on lousy chart toppers that sold a ton of records (somebody must like them!). For Chuck, it has to be My Ding a Ling LOL! Cute, by not a favorite of mine! The Bird is the Word always takes numero uno IMHO! Better yet, anything by Tommy Roe other than Wild Thing, as Jimi saved that one! Or then again, there's Tip Toe Through The Tulips! I mean Henry The VIII is almost a good song in comparison LOL! cool

Edited by Larryz (04/17/17 08:55 PM)
Edit Reason: sp

#2850177 - 04/18/17 04:45 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

grin

I've never HEARD a Tommy Roe version of "Wild Thing". grin Can't( and DON'T) even want to IMAGINE it! Liked it when The Troggs put it out, but tired of it quick. +1 on Jimi saving it.

I do remember however, in '64 he DID try a cover of Chuck Berry's( and he's still in this) "Carol". Sheila must've been pissed! wink

Now, on "The Bird Is The Word". Are you referring to The Rivington's original, or The Trashmen's "send up" cover, "Surfin' Bird"? Liked them both, but now just mostly for nostalgic laughs. And BTW---

That Herman's Hermits song, "Henry The VIII" is also a cover of an old music hall song that dates back to 1910!

Back to Chuck----

I always thought his "My Ding-A-Ling" was his little joke. That he wasn't REALLY referring to what everybody took to THINKING he was, but being aware of his public rep, figured people would TAKE it to mean that when he really never did specify, and figured THAT'S what would make it a hit! wink Seems like the man knew us better than we knew OURSELVES! grin

A few years or so ago I started a thread about novelty tunes. "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" was on that list, as well mentioning ANY song by Tiny Tim. The dude was a "novelty" himself! wink Remember HIS cover of "Great Balls Of Fire"? grin

So was "Lover's Concerto" by Mrs. Miller. And it TOO, hit #1! grin
Whitefang

#2850213 - 04/18/17 08:51 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

You're right, it was the Troggs that I had in mind with Wild Thing but it was Tommy Roe that I had on the brain LOL! Tommy was the King of Bubblegum! He drove me up a wall with Dizzy, Yummy Yummy Yummy and Sweet Pea! He did do a decent version of Stagger Lee...and yes, the title of the Bird I'm referring to was Surfin Bird! It's numero uno on my list...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luvIg2MOQ1Y&index=56&list=PLSfZH2XbMaIdr2Od-YX_bXKromF73LEHX <---Tommy did a good job on Carol, the guy was actually pretty good, He also covered Lawdy Miss Clawdy Elvis style, but I'm not going to mention the E-word LOL!

I've heard Tiny Tim also played guitar pretty well... cool

#2850230 - 04/18/17 10:10 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Tommy was the King of Bubblegum!

What!!?? Blasphemy!! Tommy Roe can't hold a candle to the true King(s) of Bubblegum, The Archies.

#2850231 - 04/18/17 10:16 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That Herman's Hermits song, "Henry The VIII" is also a cover of an old music hall song that dates back to 1910!

I had no idea. Now I need to do some Googling. I always liked Herman's pop sensibility, & hearing this just increases my respect.

Quote:
Whitefang

As was her version of "Downtown". That was an era we'll never have back, when novelty tunes were Top 40 hits. My favorites were "They're Coming To Take Me Away, HaHa" & "Tie Me Kangaroo Down". It could never happen today.

#2850252 - 04/18/17 12:13 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...

I had no idea. Now I need to do some Googling. I always liked Herman's pop sensibility, & hearing this just increases my respect.

Quote:
Whitefang

As was her version of "Downtown". That was an era we'll never have back, when novelty tunes were Top 40 hits. My favorites were "They're Coming To Take Me Away, HaHa" & "Tie Me Kangaroo Down". It could never happen today.

I have glowingly fond memories of that song, "Downtown", and others playing over the AM radio when I was very little, riding at night in the back-seat of my Dad's Buick muscle car (speaking of bygone eras!), often fading in and out with weird distortion, delayed doubling and effective echo, flanging-like sounds, phase and ring modulation...

The melodies, as well as those effects of interference, affected and impacted me to this day. Much of my sense of melody and phrasing and my love for distortion, ring-modulation, tremolo, echo, all manner of signal-degradation, etc. etc. etc. can be traced back to that.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2850334 - 04/18/17 07:03 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Downtown by Petula Clark YES! by Mrs. Miller, NO WAY! cool

#2850335 - 04/18/17 07:04 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Tommy was the King of Bubblegum!

What!!?? Blasphemy!! Tommy Roe can't hold a candle to the true King(s) of Bubblegum, The Archies.

LOL! roll

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose