Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2847305 - 04/06/17 05:05 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
You might want( if you haven't yet got it) to check out his documentary "Hail, Hail Rock an Roll".

Got ALL them tunes on it, most done by him, but several done by guests, or with guests accompanying him. Great line up too.

It was a filmed concert in celebration of his 60th birthday in 1986. LOTS of good stuff in it.

Although, I can't imagine ANY DVD of Chuck's that "isn't all that great". wink
Whitefang

GP Island
#2847358 - 04/06/17 09:01 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
Thanks Fang, I saved it on Netflix...all of the copies are farmed out right now but hopefully it will come home to roost soon... cool

#2847400 - 04/06/17 11:23 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm sure you must have seen it before(would surprise me if you didn't) but among all the performances, one of my favorite parts is the interview footage with Jerry Lee Lewis.
Whitefang

#2847459 - 04/06/17 03:04 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I probably have seen it, but if so, it's been so long ago, that I really don't remember. I saw a Jerry Lee Lewis interview clip where Jerry said he got in a fight with Chuck Berry. He said Chuck really kicked his butt LOL! The interviewer asked what the fight was about and Jerry said they were fighting over which one of them was the King of Rock and Roll! laugh

I saw another interview re: Chuck, with Keith Richards. He confirmed the story where he was punched in the face by Chuck Berry...when asked what the fight was about, Keith said it was because I had touched Chuck's guitar..."nobody touches my guitar!" cool

#2847535 - 04/07/17 03:44 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, the bit I'm talkin' of is when Jerry Lee comes on and says, "Chuck Berry is the KING of rock'n'roll. My MAMA said that..." and what follows is kind of funny. I'll let you see it without any "spoiler alert". wink
Whitefang

#2847615 - 04/07/17 09:55 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
FWIW, CB smacked KR b/c he sauntered onstage, pligged in & started blasting loudly,
Berry had no idea who it was.

As far as JLL paying some homage to CB, let's remember that those 2 original 1950s rockers once had a dispute abt who'd close one of Alan FReed's shows & when Berry won the slot JJL set his piano on fire (allegedly sayin', "Let that ****** follow THAT !").... so let's not dismiss the potential that JJL carried a grudge.

Kinda puts perspective on the later similar dispute between Hendrix & Pete Townshend at Monterrey Pop, eh ?

#2847627 - 04/07/17 10:25 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I remember all that mess about what Jerry Lee said and done, but it's clear by Jerry Lee's comments in the film that he's long since got past that. He's actually very magnanimous and complimentary.

On Hendrix and Townshend I found this----

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pete-townshend-jimi-hendrix-negotiating-monterey/

Whitefang

#2847647 - 04/07/17 11:37 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: d]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
FWIW, CB smacked KR b/c he sauntered onstage, pligged in & started blasting loudly,
Berry had no idea who it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Occyx3Z3vIU <---nope, not according to KR which I think is the best source of info. The story starts at 1:35 and he tells it the same way I did. Happened in the dressing room... cool

#2847655 - 04/07/17 11:49 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sorry, got it mixed up with this...
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chuck-berry-kicks-off-keith-richards/
...which is kinda sorta similar.

I think it's likely that there'd been further mahem had Berry known abt the "secret under-stage amp trick".

#2847669 - 04/07/17 12:14 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: d]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't think Chuck would put up with Richards and made no bones about not caring for Kieth's little surprises LOL! Keith would be around Berry too much for it to be purely a chance meeting leading to a little spat. I think Keith liked to taunt Chuck because he thought he could get away with it LOL! +1 There are probably more stories to come about their little feud... cool

Edited by Larryz (04/07/17 12:15 PM)

#2847675 - 04/07/17 12:24 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sometimes I wonder what woulda happened had the Yoko Ono interjection in the Lennon X Berry jam posted above had happened at the Fillmore or some place off camera

#2847709 - 04/07/17 02:02 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: d]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm not a fan of Yoko interjections LOL! She sounded really bad and her drumming could have been left out too! Chuck was singing the high parts over John's low parts, and though it was fun to watch, it didn't sound that good. The boys in the band were having fun and so was Chuck! I would have preferred Keith's loud amp over that take if I was Chuck LOL! I guess it's OK to touch his guitar if he hands it to you! cool

#2847720 - 04/07/17 02:37 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
So, can we now vote? Who was "King" of Rock and Roll?

#2847730 - 04/07/17 03:06 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
I don't think Chuck would put up with Richards and made no bones about not caring for Kieth's little surprises LOL! Keith would be around Berry too much for it to be purely a chance meeting leading to a little spat. I think Keith liked to taunt Chuck because he thought he could get away with it LOL! +1 There are probably more stories to come about their little feud... cool

Um, Keith Richards was one of the producers of the documentary, and worked with Chuck in both the rehearsals and arrangements and order of the songs played at the concert. They do get into a "spat" of sorts when Chuck takes exception to how Keith tries to tell Chuck Berry how to play Chuck Berry songs. But it all works out. So it didn't really look like Chuck disliked Keith all that much for real cool
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (04/07/17 03:08 PM)

#2847813 - 04/07/17 11:03 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

That's funny, I had a bass player buddy that would try to tell me how to play my songs/leads/chords/guitar/etc., and that would cause a little spat from time to time LOL! I would play his songs his way and expect him to reciprocate. I no longer play with him as I like to live a life sans stress and have fun playing my music my way. I vote with my feet sometimes and just walk-on... cool

#2847832 - 04/08/17 04:54 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

grin
"Vote with my feet"! I like that...;)

So, would that bass player buddy try telling you how to play songs YOU wrote? THAT'S gall! I mean, it's OK to offer a suggestion here or there, but not DICTATE. There were some bands I was in and I'd come up with a song or two of my own, and the other guitarist, who NEVER came up with his own tunes, would sometimes offer an idea, we'd ry it and if it worked, we kept it, and if not, it'd be dropped. But, he NEVER insisted. He'd kindly ASK "perhaps maybe we could try...."
He's a good musician, so I had no qualms.
Whitefang

#2847891 - 04/08/17 08:49 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I remember my jazz standard teacher referring to a break up when talking about former band mates as "we had to split the sheets" referring to the music sheets with a double entendre to the bedroom sheets in divorce cases...

I played with this buddy for 5 years +/- and he was a good guy. I have played with him a couple of times after moving on and I still treat him nice. He was a play it like the record guy and had a great memory but sometimes it got in the way of having a good time, especially when he would tell me and my old drummer how to play our instruments. He played guitar and drums and would tell us how to play ours. I finally told him to stop until he could play as good, then he could tell us how to play LOL! I do appreciate suggestions and I try to get along at all costs, but when there is one too many stories to tell, it's time to move on... cool

#2847902 - 04/08/17 09:10 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: DocPate]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: DocPate
So, can we now vote? Who was "King" of Rock and Roll?

Elections over; CB by a landslide.

#2847914 - 04/08/17 09:36 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: d]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm sticking with Elvis...although I have no objection to Chuck Berry sharing that title! as in one of The Kings of Rock and Roll. cool

#2847928 - 04/08/17 10:11 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, OK. That'll work for me too. Or maybe for those who don't wish to have them share, we could maybe say Elvis was the "king", and Chuck was the AMBASSADOR". Or vice-versa for some. whistle

But ya gotta prepare for those(and I know some) who would bestow the "King" crown on Buddy Holly. And others who'd argue for BILL HALEY. wink
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (04/08/17 10:12 AM)

#2847930 - 04/08/17 10:27 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Elvis was cool but he never wrote a song.
Berry wrote music & lyrix & in both cases he expressed the feelings of young ppl across the nation & the world.
No comparison.

#2847952 - 04/08/17 01:02 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: d]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

There were 3 Kings of the Orient and none of them wrote the song...I give Chuck Berry a ton of credit and mentioned him writing rock and roll in other threads and Elvis re-writing and arranging 40's R&B which also played a major part in the creation of rock and roll as well. I prefer Elvis over Chuck Berry as far as my record purchasing goes along with many other record purchasers. But, that really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, you just need to vote on who you like best...

+1 on Buddy Holly and Bill Haley getting in on the vote but they really are not going to get mine as there are many others I would list that I like better like Fats Domino, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc. We all have our preferences. cool

#2848051 - 04/09/17 04:07 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And it looks like that takes care of THAT! thu
Whitefang

#2848169 - 04/09/17 02:00 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The world's biggest Elvis fan had this [:15~:20] to say abt Chuck Berry.

Also listen to the interview segment between the perfs & consider what's saud there.

Like I said, E wuz cool but he never really created anything.
He imitated...but like 's been said, preferences win out over truth sometimes.

#2848190 - 04/09/17 05:07 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: d]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have seen that intro before by John for Chuck Berry. A real classic John Lennon quote can also be found all over the net: "Before Elvis, there was nothing"...consider what's said there...Elvis didn't imitate or try to sound like the original artists, he created his own vibe using his voice, his heart and his soul...and, they called it rock and roll... cool

Edited by Larryz (04/09/17 05:11 PM)

#2848206 - 04/09/17 06:11 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think there were some who called it that before Elvis came along. But no matter...

On all the made-for-TV bios made soon after he died, and in the newer "Sun Records" TV show, and in a few old interviews with Sam Phillips I've managed to read, they all include the same instance....

When Elvis came into the Sun studio, Sam, already weary of a lot of guys coming in sounding like, or TRYING to sound like someone already well known or famous, asked Evis, "And who do YOU sound like?" And Elvis' answer, "I don't sound like nobody". grin

As far as Elvis not writing anything?

A lot of early rockers didn't. The EVERLY BROTHERS earliest "hits" weren't from their pens. Bill Haley's first biggest "hits" were someone else's tunes as well. I'm not as big an Elvis fan as Larry, in fact, never much of an overall fan at all. But I cannot deny.....

Rock'n'Roll might have languished "underground" for years, or maybe just chugged along dismissed as "race" music for that long without ever possibly springing to the surface WITHOUT Elvis' appeal to give it the kick in the sss it needed to move to the forefront.

Chuck Berry, with his songs that more or less chronicled the lives and activities of the teen aged audience that was spending most of the time and money on rock'n'roll records was close on his heels and managed to move up only after Elvis went into the army and had little significant output. And coming out and going into the movie studio to make GI BLUES and releasing a soundtrack of mostly tepid showtunes sort of slowed down his rock status too. But we'll always be grateful for what he's done for the music in his early years.
Whitefang

#2848223 - 04/09/17 06:52 PM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

The only Elvis movie soundtrack worth a crap is King Creole IMHO. The other movies you might come up with one cool song like the Hawaiian Wedding Song, Loving You, Return to Sender, Love Me Tender, It's Now Or Never...

The best Elvis album is Elvis' Golden Records Volume I. It has 20 of his gold record million dollar sellers and it's the one I could spend hours listening to back in my early teens. My kind of old rock and roll. I like some of Elvis' other tunes but this album is mostly what I'm into. I'm not a real fan of his later stuff...

For Chuck, there are about 5 or 6 songs that would fit in with this list that I truly love. Not saying there are not more that I like, but again these are the ones I'm really into (Roll Over Beethoven, Rock and Roll Music, Johnny B. Goode, Memphis, You Never Can Tell, etc.)...I also like the Beatles version of Roll Over Beethoven and Jonny Rivers version of Memphis...

for Elvis, the songs on the album mentioned above are:
Hound Dog, Loving You, All Shook Up, Heartbreak Hotel, Jailhouse Rock, Love Me, Too Much, Don't Be Cruel, That's When Your Heartaches Begin, Teddy Bear, Love Me Tender, Treat Me Nice, Any Way You Want Me, I Want You I Need You I Love You, My Baby Left Me, I Was The One, That's Alright, Baby Let's Play House, Mystery Train and Blue Sued Shoes...

Pretty hard to leave these out of the rock and roll creative history IMHO.

Roy Orbison is another one of my favorite "Kings" and he wrote most of his own songs...so for me, the 3 Kings of the Rock and Roll are Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison and Chuck Berry! cool

Edited by Larryz (04/09/17 10:10 PM)

#2848260 - 04/10/17 05:12 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like THAT trio alright! Good marketing angle for some kind of rock'n'roll anthology box set. grin Call it, "We Three Kings of Rock'n'Roll". wink

Or maybe add Little Richard and call it, "The REAL Fab Four" grin

"Elvis' Golden Records" was I think, put together and released while he was in the Army to keep his name out and up there. My best friend's older sister had it and played it until you could hear both sides at once! grin (not really, but I came up with that analogy years ago to describe the practice of someone who'd play an album OBSESSIVELY!) She moped the entire time he was in and had more photos of Elvis on her wall than PAINT! I heard her Dad complain, "If she doesn't take some of them damned ELVIS pictures down they're gonna pull the PLASTER off!" grin

Y'know, you sometimes get a feeling of victory when you discover some PARENT of a friend is also a fan of some music man YOU like. Like when I found out that 7th grade buddy of mine's MOM was also a Chuck Berry fan! Or later, while in high school, I met a guy I became friends with and found out HIS Mom was ALSO a Bob Dylan fan! Me and her would sit for HOURS talkin' about him and his music.
Whitefang

#2848265 - 04/10/17 05:32 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: whitefang]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: whitefang

Or maybe add Little Richard and call it, "The REAL Fab Four" grin

Whitefang

Or throw in Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, The Platters, and Johnny Cash for good measure...

Those were great days in music IMHO

#2848292 - 04/10/17 07:55 AM Re: RIP CHUCK BERRY [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Real Fab 4 would be cool with a little Little Richard added LOL! I find it cool when my kids grow up liking the music from my high school days better than theirs! My mom and dad grew to like it too...so it must be good! cool

Elvis went into the Army in March 1958. The Golden Hits Volume I was released the same month. The original vinyl record had 14 songs of which me and my buddy knew every song by heart in 1962! I would stop at his house on the way home from school and help him wear that record out as we both loved singing along with it. Hell, we even got one of those hair dye combs and dyed our hair black one day LOL! Luckily it washed out or my mother was going to kill me...I remember kids wondering why I still liked that "old Elvis music" when the Beatles came out in '63 or so...they didn't know I had been a fan when I was about 5 or 6 years old in '55 or so... LOL! cool

The remake of the album on CD has 20 songs on it.

And BTW for D, even though you think he never created anything, Elvis is officially credited as a co-writer on All Shook Up, Heartbreak Hotel, Don't Be Cruel and Love Me Tender on this album... cool

Edited by Larryz (04/10/17 09:15 AM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose