Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2842583 - 03/18/17 06:51 AM Way OT: Exotic fruit
Synthoid Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Over the years I've seen and sampled various imported fruits from the grocery store and local produce markets including lychee, star fruit and dragon fruit. However, one I haven't come across yet is durian.

From what I've read online, the durian has an unusual odor which has been compared to rotten onions or stinky gym socks. Not exactly motivation to buy one... so I wanted to ask if anyone has tasted this bizarre marvel of nature and what is your opinion?

KC Island
#2842593 - 03/18/17 08:50 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil
I've heard of it but never had the urge to try, I'm not sure why grin

Lots of fruits here in Brazil that most people find exotic cool Dragon fruit is called Pitaya in most latin america countries, and quite tasty. There's a large market that I love taking foreigners here that has just about every fruit you can think of.

Lychee and star fruit are fairly common place here.

Another that I enjoy is atemoya. Açaí has been popular for decades here and I see Americans mention it more and more...

#2842637 - 03/18/17 11:09 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Rod S]
Shamanzarek Offline

Loc: NJ
I had Sapodilla on a visit to Yucatan Mexico in the 80's. It looks something like a small potato but has a sweet orange flesh. Have never seen these for sale in the US.

#2842656 - 03/18/17 12:44 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I found this video for those not familiar with durian:

#2842663 - 03/18/17 01:26 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
I have experienced durian, in Bangkok many years ago.

It smells like garbage and tastes like heaven. The hotel would not allow us to cut it open inside - we had to take it outside to a park table.

The odor when cut is fetid, pungent and impossible to ignore. The person who originally dared to taste durian after first cutting it open was indeed a brave man.

But tasting the ripe inner fruit is nirvana. It will make you believe in the goodness of man and the quixotic ecstasies of nature and the promise of a new hope and the destruction of the next Death Star by the plucky rebel alliance and the wonder of green eyes on a beautiful redhead and the supple, proud yet delicate rise of her.....

Oh, sorry.

Durian's good. Just trust me on this.

#2842668 - 03/18/17 01:55 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: timwat]
Phnymiboy Offline

Loc: Miami

#2842700 - 03/18/17 05:21 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: timwat]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: timwat
The hotel would not allow us to cut it open inside

Yep - this wasn't just your hotel, Tim. It's a very popular fruit across south east Asia and hotels thereabouts generally have a policy against bringing them inside.

#2842749 - 03/18/17 07:40 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Interesting description there, Tim. If I ever find one I'll just have to hold my breath. sick

#2842825 - 03/19/17 08:00 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
Doc Tonewheel Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Downingtown, PA
Originally Posted By: Synthoid
Interesting description there, Tim. If I ever find one I'll just have to hold my breath. sick

They sell dorian at an Asian market up where I work near North Wales.

http://www.assiplaza.net/northwales.php

#2842841 - 03/19/17 09:15 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Looks like an interesting store, Doc. It would be a bit of a road trip, but maybe after all the snow melts.

#2842913 - 03/19/17 05:30 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: timwat]
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
Originally Posted By: timwat
I have experienced durian, in Bangkok many years ago.

It smells like garbage and tastes like heaven.

I ate durian in Singapore, back when I worked for Creative Labs. At first smell, it was not good. In his broken English, my Singaporean host told me what it was and I thought he said urine. My first reaction? I froze... and then asked for some clarification.

It all worked out just fine.

#2842917 - 03/19/17 06:08 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: SteveCoscia]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Exotic Fruit?

Katarina Witt.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2842918 - 03/19/17 06:10 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom

No need to hold your breath Synthoid. The inside of the Durian fruit is really just a lot of AIR... idea

#2843012 - 03/20/17 07:19 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: xKnuckles]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I was down in Baja, Mx somewhere years ago and stopped to gas up at Pemex. An old desert rat looking guy wandered up dragging a burlap sack and asked me in Spanish if I wanted some "tuna". Thinking that the middle of the desert was an unlikely place to be buying fish, I turned him down. He just smiled and held out his hand with something that looked kind of like a small pomegranate. He carved it open with his jack knife and held out this luscious looking fruit. I guess I had had enough tequila to figure I was bulletproof and tried it. Exquisite! Turns out it was the fruit of the Nopal cactus, known in English as prickly pear. I bought several and found that they varied from an orange, almost mango color to a deep purple, but they were all sweet, juicy and delicious.

#2843051 - 03/20/17 08:51 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Wastrel]
tarkus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: MIAMI, Fl
Figi d'india = prickly pears. It was a nice summertime treat and a staple in every sicilian household.
don't eat too many though, stomach pain is unbearable.

Made some nice cocktails with them.

My favorite citris is nespoli or commonly referred to in the US as Loquat.

I miss the Mediterranean plums that we had as kids. superior to the common plum, but the tree was highly susceptible to diseases.

#2843057 - 03/20/17 09:20 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: tarkus]
Mills Dude Offline

Loc: New York
For the last 2 years I spend about 50% of my time in China, Shenzhen PRC, on the other side of Hong Kong.

Many experiences with Durian. For me a Westerner, I just can't tolerate the smell. My girlfriend and her kids go nuts over durian, and in the spring when it starts appearing she buys it frequently.

The smell is so powerful, that if I have a bit in my refrigerator and open the door, my hotel room will smell of Durian for hours.

It's a hard smell to describe, but for me like a cross between rotting eggs mixed with bananas.

I don't particularly care to eat it either. The taste is not nearly as powerful, more like very strong banana. However, the texture puts me off, again sort of like banana, but bigger, more mushy.

And my goodness, if you don't know how to handle it, then don't. The spines on the skin can be very sharp and it's not difficult to hurt yourself on it.

In southern China, you can find durian in many cakes and sweets, even pizza -- yes durian pizza is popular with the young crowd.

It is a staple fruit of Southeast Asia, beloved by almost a billion people. For my western tastebuds, I prefer the lychees or loquats.

<Derail Alert />
My girlfriend likes to take me to big wholesale fruit/vegetable/herb markets in Shenzhen. Big warehouse, 3 floors full of any vegetable or fruit you can imagine, almost any time of year.

One night in December, after 11 pm, she asks if I want her to bring me fruit. I text back that I would love some cherries, thinking no possible way to find those anywhere especially late at night. She texts me back a picture, these? That woman is a keeper for me!

#2843087 - 03/20/17 10:29 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Mills Dude]
Shamanzarek Offline

Loc: NJ
A friend in California had a Loquat tree. These are in the Rose family and produce yellow plum-shaped fruits that grow in clusters. The flavor reminds me most of a very juicy Cherry. Cherries and several other popular fruits are also in the Rose family.

My friend also had a Kumquat tree. These are a citrus fruit resembling a small Orange but with a bitter taste. They are not related to Loquats other than both originated in China.

#2843147 - 03/20/17 02:25 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Shamanzarek]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Re: Durian

Makes me wonder about the first person in human history to step up and say 'Hey I think I will eat that'. Must have been really hungry or lost a bet.

Edited by CEB (03/20/17 02:25 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2843151 - 03/20/17 02:37 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: CEB]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: CEB
Makes me wonder about the first person in human history to step up and say 'Hey I think I will eat that'. Must have been really hungry or lost a bet.

Well that also makes me wonder about first time with:

lobster and crab (yeah the meat inside this oversized sea spider will be scrumptious)
caviar
haggis
coffee (extract the pit of the cherry, roast it, grind it up, then steep it in water)
the common egg
tripe
"rocky mountain oysters"
casa marzu (cheese with maggots - yum)
kopi luwak (after that animal poops out the coffee cherry, THEN we'll collect it and brew it)

#2843218 - 03/20/17 05:06 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
MP Hall of Fame Member

sick

#2843662 - 03/22/17 10:59 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
Lindaru Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Idaho
One that I do not see any more living here but used to see a lot of and enjoyed growing up in the central part of the U.S. was ugli fruit:

Ugli Fruit - Wikipedia

None of my friends really ate any of it or knew much about what it was, so if they came over to my house, they would leave that fruit alone due to its appearance and choose something more standard out of the fruit bowl, leaving me to enjoy the "ugli".

smile

#2843663 - 03/22/17 11:04 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Lindaru]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
That's actually a fairly pretti one. I've seen some that looked like dead aliens.

#2843678 - 03/22/17 12:09 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Wastrel]
Legatoboy Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)

#2843927 - 03/23/17 06:44 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Legatoboy]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
See if you can find Long Yan (Dragon's Eye)

And Hong Mao Dan, which well, the translation is "Red Hairy Balls":

Both are awesome.

..Joe

#2843940 - 03/23/17 07:16 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Reminds me of lychee. laugh

#2844031 - 03/23/17 10:41 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Wastrel]
Lindaru Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: Wastrel
That's actually a fairly pretti one. I've seen some that looked like dead aliens.

How do we know they are not?

whistle

#2844074 - 03/23/17 01:00 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Ugli fruit reminds me of an Osage orange... also known as "monkey balls." Never saw anyone eat them though. laugh

#2844099 - 03/23/17 03:28 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
Way interesting thread Synthoid.

I grew up loving durian, but even then there were those who loved it and those who hated it. My grandfather would send large gunny sacks and crates of the fruit from the countryside to the capital city by train. The railway station-master would personally call my mom ... imploring her to "come and get it quickly. This place is smelling!!"

Once home, the fruit were stored in a garage detached from the house ... so as not to offend visitors. When I met my wife she turned my world upside down by saying she could "take it or leave it." This attitude didn't fit with the binary world I grew up in where people either loved or hated the fruit. Perhaps she just said that just to play with me ... ? She's good at that.

The odorants in durian are I believe complex amines, which explains why Somerset Maugham is said to have likened it to "eating rasberry blancmange in a smelly toilet." Anytime a smell approaches the smell of something decaying you are likely to set off the body's alarm bells, which is why (imo) with durian and blue cheese you should start as a kid and never stop.

I live in a medium sized city in New England. A local asian grocery store carries both whole fruit and the pulp, which is convenient...

I should bet the suburbs around Philly and the Burgh would have sizable asian markets. You wouldn't even have to drive into Chinatown. I bought a box so I could take a picture for you... but then I found this link to a picture online.

I just called my playful wife and reminded her that she could "take or leave" durian ... and I had a box which her son and I were about to consume. She asked me to please set some aside for her. Which goes to show .... wink

#2844120 - 03/23/17 04:35 PM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: JerryA]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: JerryA

I should bet the suburbs around Philly and the Burgh would have sizable asian markets. You wouldn't even have to drive into Chinatown. I bought a box so I could take a picture for you... but then I found this link to a picture online.

Thanks... there's an Asian market here in Lancaster. I'll have to check their frozen food section. smile

#2844222 - 03/24/17 08:06 AM Re: Way OT: Exotic fruit [Re: Synthoid]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I found this video for those not familiar with durian:

the power of ginger compelled me to watch this clip.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner