Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2842461 - 03/17/17 10:52 AM I'm finally part of THAT club.
scottasin Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Fort Collins CO
http://i.imgur.com/hLrDWr9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sAh6BRy.jpg

A Moog with full polyphony? Yes please. I never understood why paraphonics weren't more popular. I've been forever regretful of selling my Korg Delta, and this essentially better version thereof (minus the CV input) popped up on Craigslist yesterday. The guy was super slow and flaky, but at around midnight he finally got here and everything appeared to be working enough for me. There's a couple minor issues, but nothing that seems like it'd get in the way of playing.

Never thought I'd have a Moog, let alone one I could play chords on... and in at less than $500.

Edited by scottasin (03/17/17 10:53 AM)

KC Island
#2842464 - 03/17/17 10:54 AM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: scottasin]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You fool!! Turn back while you still can! poke

#2842468 - 03/17/17 11:05 AM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: Michael Wright]
scottasin Offline
Gold Member

I passed the point of no return a long time ago. Off the top of my head I have at least 13 instruments, but I know I'm forgetting some.

#2842486 - 03/17/17 12:18 PM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: scottasin]
ClavAnother Offline

I love this stuff. I still consider my Liberation to be the third manual of my Hammond. It sounds fantastic rough a pair of leslies!

#2842495 - 03/17/17 01:18 PM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: ClavAnother]
scottasin Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: ClavAnother
I love this stuff. I still consider my Liberation to be the third manual of my Hammond. It sounds fantastic rough a pair of leslies!
When I had my old Korg Delta I always wanted a leslie sim to run it through, if only for the timbre of the distortion. I very well may grab a mini vent or an organ grinder in the future. I'm much more of an organ playe than a synth player, so full poly works great for me.

#2842828 - 03/19/17 08:15 AM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: scottasin]
Doc Tonewheel Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Downingtown, PA

#2842871 - 03/19/17 12:52 PM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: Doc Tonewheel]
ksoper Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Murfreesboro,TN,UNITED STATES
I liked my Opus 3. Got a lot out of that thing. Enjoy!

#2842907 - 03/19/17 05:04 PM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: scottasin]
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
I loved my Delta - it was a workhorse. See it here - under the MOOG Prodigy. Two great synths.

Those were the days.

#2842934 - 03/19/17 07:55 PM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: SteveCoscia]
scottasin Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Doc Tonewheel
Beware the foam!
https://www.retrolinear.com/new-stuff/dreaded-foam.aspx
only heard about this after I got it. Gonna have to find out. Everything works as it is currently, but there's not much telling whats under the hood. Have any of you here dealt with it? Is it fixable? Is there anything safe to use (a la Goo Gone, although I'm sure that's not circuit safe) to help get it off or is it a 100% slow and careful and horrible cleaning process? I'm in for it either way, but I want to be safe and efficient if need be. Hopefully I'm free from issues, but i'd really doubt that if its standard on these things.
Originally Posted By: SteveCoscia
I loved my Delta - it was a workhorse. See it here - under the MOOG Prodigy. Two great synths.

Those were the days.

I see you're rocking the same vintage for your profile picture razz Loved my Delta, but I had a guitar player who was never able to get used to the tone and was broke and jobless at the point I sold it. The one thing it had that I miss on the Opus 3 is the option for a keyboard following filter, other than that I find the Opus superior in every way. (I never used the CV input, nor do I know how I would)

I posted a couple quick videos to facebook if you guys are into that.

Edited by scottasin (03/19/17 08:03 PM)

#2843230 - 03/20/17 05:57 PM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: scottasin]
Doc Tonewheel Offline
Gold Member

Foam can be removed. The sooner, the better especially if it's gotten sticky.

#2843286 - 03/20/17 09:38 PM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: Doc Tonewheel]
scottasin Offline
Gold Member

hopefully I can get it in this weekend. If not then, than next. I see the linked page mentions using solvent, what would I use that's circuitry safe?

Got to use it at a band rehearsal today with a band that I thought I really wouldn't be able to use it with effectively (pretty much folk music that leans pretty hard on a few other genres) and really loved what I was able to get it to do. Bringing a no preset synth back into a sound will be interesting, its tough to get things back right to how they were, or even remember what I did at all a lot of the time.

Edited by scottasin (03/20/17 09:40 PM)

#2843343 - 03/21/17 05:10 AM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: scottasin]
Doc Tonewheel Offline
Gold Member

If it is dry and crumbly, I've seen people gently scrape and vacuum off what they can off of he sliders, then use 91% rubbing alcohol and Q-tips.

Check out https://preservethesound.com/category/moog/opus-3/

Edited by Doc Tonewheel (03/21/17 12:34 PM)

#2843661 - 03/22/17 10:56 AM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: scottasin]
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: scottasin
I see you're rocking the same vintage for your profile picture

I don't look like that anymore. That was the only photo I had of the Delta.

Back then, I was on the fence between buying the Delta and the Moog Opus. I don't remember why I bought the Delta - there must have been a good reason. Jeez, it was almost 40 years ago.

Wouldn't mind messing with an Opus now.

#2843707 - 03/22/17 02:32 PM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: SteveCoscia]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Still have my opus 3 in storage. Years ago I cleaned out all the gooey foam, cleaned and lubed all the scratchy sliders, and got it working tip top. The end caps and screws are all still in a little box, lol. The divorce came along 7 years ago and it's been sitting like that in storage ever since. I should probably pull it out, put it back together, takes some pics, and put it up for sale. There was one modification I was going to do before I put it back together Thant I never got to - you can add an insert to run external audio through the filter.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2843721 - 03/22/17 03:09 PM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: J. Dan]
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: J. Dan
There was one modification I was going to do before I put it back together that I never got to - you can add an insert to run external audio through the filter.

There's often a story behind our old synthesizers.

My Delta WAS modified and it was a killer. It had an additional waveform knob, modulation intensity knob, a pulse width modulation knob and who knows what else. I worked at Unicord (later to be KORG USA) back then. Tom Imperato was the bench tech and he drilled new holes, added the knobs and did the whole modification.

Years later, when I started writing, I needed an Imagewriter printer which cost about $350. So, I sold the Delta for $350 and bought a printer. I'd love to get my hands on that beast again.

#2843775 - 03/22/17 05:38 PM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: J. Dan]
scottasin Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: J. Dan
Still have my opus 3 in storage. Years ago I cleaned out all the gooey foam, cleaned and lubed all the scratchy sliders, and got it working tip top. The end caps and screws are all still in a little box, lol. The divorce came along 7 years ago and it's been sitting like that in storage ever since. I should probably pull it out, put it back together, takes some pics, and put it up for sale. There was one modification I was going to do before I put it back together Thant I never got to - you can add an insert to run external audio through the filter.
Well I 100% want to do that. It was really the one thing I felt was missing from this synth, and goodness do I want to play with all my other toys through a moog lowpass.

#2843781 - 03/22/17 05:53 PM Re: I'm finally part of THAT club. [Re: scottasin]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
The schematic I had was on a computer that crashed, but I think it was on a separate drive. I've been meaning to pull that drive and put it in my other computer to see if my data is all still there.

The one caveat I recall was that you had to hold down a key for the audio to come out. But I'd imagine a switch could fix that.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner