Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2842541 - 03/17/17 06:31 PM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: hurricane hugo]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

My girlfriend has been a fan of Brandi Carlisle and for a long time and we've seen her twice recently. That the band is named for her is a bit misleading as the "twins" are equal partners and musical collaborators. If they come to your town make an effort to see them. High energy, great musicians and fabulous songwriting.

KC Island
#2842546 - 03/17/17 08:15 PM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: misterdregs]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

I think this is from the Red Rocks show we saw. Piano player is prominent in the mix and gets some screen time in the video!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DSMuEpLQuUQ

#2842573 - 03/18/17 05:05 AM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: misterdregs]
Phil B Offline
Gold Member

Loc: New York
Some recent favorites:
Wilco
Dawes
My Morning Jacket
Flaming Lips

#2842595 - 03/18/17 09:03 AM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: RudyS]
Husker Offline

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: RudyS
I haven't been there myself, but I heard a lot of good things about Muse. Don't know if they are big in the US though.

+1 from my side on Snarky Puppy. Going to see them again in June.

Love Muse. Drove from Alabama to St. Louis to see them a few years ago. They are touring again in the US now. Believe they are bigger in Europe than the States though...

#2842599 - 03/18/17 09:23 AM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: Husker]
bennyray Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
Dave Matthews last year in Atlanta, Ga.

#2842661 - 03/18/17 01:25 PM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: midinut]
Doc Tonewheel Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Downingtown, PA
Originally Posted By: midinut
No love here for Umphrey's McGee?

Love here for Umphrey's. Saw them at the Filmore in Philly as well. Great players no doubt, great show, but more of a pure listening experience than a get up and dance party band. Galactic (and Robert Randolph Band opening) had the place rockin' Just a different type of music.

Edited by Doc Tonewheel (03/18/17 01:26 PM)

#2842716 - 03/18/17 06:13 PM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: HammondDave]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: HammondDave
The Pretenders - After so many years, still one of the most aggressive bands I have ever heard live

Good to hear. I haven't seen them since the late 80's. Am passing on seeing them locally however due to scheduling conflicts. Oh well.
'88 Kawai 52" Upright,'61 Hammond A100,'81 Rhodes 88 Mark II Stage,'71 Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet E7, Moog Voyager, Leslies 142/Studio 12, Yamaha CP70, DSI Prophet 08, Arp Solina, Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo

#2842874 - 03/19/17 01:06 PM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: davedoerfler]
Iconclast Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Don't get me wrong, I loved ARW and would go see them again; BUT I saw Steven Wilson a week before I saw ARW in the same venue and Steven Wilson blew them (and most other groups I've seen) away. Very powerful stuff. Hands down best concert I've seen in years.

I love Muse's music but I have very little desire to see a band with 10,000 of my friends. Just as soon watch them on TV as their live performances are all over cable.

In contrast, I flew to Burbank last week to see a rare appearance of Cosmosquad at the Baked Potato. Place can't even hold much more than 100 people unless the Fire Marshall is paid off. No keyboard content but what an amazing show. That's my kind of concert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9hI_syUX5I

I might try to sneak out to see Wilco though, based on what you guys are saying.

Forte7, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff
...and a pickup truck to haul it all

#2842880 - 03/19/17 01:32 PM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: Iconclast]
wineandkeyz Offline
Gold Member

Loc: North Carolina
Blackberry Smoke.

#2842884 - 03/19/17 01:47 PM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: Bottom End]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Bottom End

Lake Street Dive

+1. Seen them several times. Top notch musicians playing sublime pop songs and having a blast doing it. I have tickets to see Bridgett's solo project in a couple weeks..should be interesting.

#2842899 - 03/19/17 03:55 PM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: Sam Mullins]
Canoehead Offline

Loc: Belleville, Ontario, Canada
Toto.

#2842915 - 03/19/17 06:05 PM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: Canoehead]
jcazzy Offline

Loc: Rural Tennessee USA
Kansas.

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

#2843028 - 03/20/17 08:00 AM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: Husker]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Originally Posted By: Husker
I haven't been there myself, but I heard a lot of good things about Muse. Don't know if they are big in the US though.

Love Muse. Drove from Alabama to St. Louis to see them a few years ago. They are touring again in the US now. Believe they are bigger in Europe than the States though...

I always see Muse when I can, they always do something spectacular. Every tour is a step up with the theatricals and concept. And I love the music too, which helps!

Love The Aristocrats live too, proper intelligent shred. It wasn't really my kind of music until we toured with them - I saw their show every night for 3 weeks and wasn't bored once. Every show they're experimenting and having a laugh, they never go through the motions.

#2843037 - 03/20/17 08:24 AM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: MorayM]
NoahZark Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Maryland, USA
The few times I've seen Springsteen & The E Street Band I come away thinking that's what a live rock show is supposed to be. They're just ridiculously entertaining and they sound GREAT live.

As for whose "best" currently, I don't know, but I do know I'm looking forward to seeing Midnight Oil, Iron Maiden, and Fleet Foxes in the next couple of months. I also know that Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls were awesome when I saw them kick off their latest US tour in late January.

#2843107 - 03/20/17 11:42 AM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: MorayM]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: MorayM
Originally Posted By: Husker

I always see Muse when I can, they always do something spectacular. Every tour is a step up with the theatricals and concept. And I love the music too, which helps!

Love The Aristocrats live too, proper intelligent shred. It wasn't really my kind of music until we toured with them - I saw their show every night for 3 weeks and wasn't bored once. Every show they're experimenting and having a laugh, they never go through the motions.

Wish this was in better quality. I don't think all their shows involve giant video pillars for each member (except the lowly extra keys/guitar/percussion player who stays at the bottom LOL), but this one does grin
(couldn't get the place-in-time link to work, band kicks in around 2 minutes)

Edited by Stokely (03/20/17 11:44 AM)

#2843422 - 03/21/17 09:34 AM Re: Best current live touring bands... Wilco? [Re: Stokely]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Yeah, they only did that for one tour. The one after that they had a tower block:

After that they had a bit of a Pink Floyd tribute:

The towers shoot fire, because of course they do. I liked that one as they also had lots of live actors in various parts of the stadium interacting with the filmed stuff.

Then they decided that attaching lights to scaffolding was boring and a mug's game so they decided to make them fly:

As I said, always worth a watch...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner