Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2842081 - 03/15/17 10:08 PM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: cphollis]
Ledbetter Offline

Loc: California
Add one: screwing up the beginning to "Sweet Child of Mine" every single time. Every. Single. Time. A name-dropper, as well.

KC Island
#2842087 - 03/15/17 10:59 PM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: Ledbetter]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Loc: West Virginia
I learned this lesson around 1992.

Front-lady (the star): "My husband will be running sound."

Translation: "I get two shares, and my talentless husband gets one share, and the rest of you gullible fools get one share each for making me sound good."
===
Multiple guitarists don't scare me -- I worked a couple of years with a band that had 3 guitarists. When they set up a song with a double lead (other guy on rhythm) I pulled out my AX-1 (driving an Ensoniq SQ32) and made it into a triple lead. The band and the audience loved it.
===
Current red flag:

"Let's record this nice original song."
"Okay," says I, "are we gonna lay down a reference track and then add our parts in a deliberate fashion, correcting takes as necessary?"
"Oh, no," says the guitarist, "We'll record it all at once, just like Tom Petty."
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61, Boss RT-20

#2842094 - 03/16/17 12:33 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: Tom Williams]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Let's play "Mustang Sally!"

#2842105 - 03/16/17 02:32 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: HammondDave]
Lee T Offline

Loc: North West UK
Originally Posted By: HammondDave

This, plus Summer of 69.

#2842106 - 03/16/17 02:34 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: HammondDave]
RobP2 Offline

Loc: Bedford, UK
Two recent ones -

a singer who has no PA and asked if the band could all chip together to buy one. Sure, when you chip in for my £2k worth of keyboards....

And, in an add "we expect 110% commitment and for you not to be involved in any other music projects." Great, I take it you will be paying me a full time salary then?

www.robpoyton.co.uk

#2842114 - 03/16/17 04:26 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: RobP2]
Nadroj Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Quote:
"we expect 110% commitment and for you not to be involved in any other music projects."

Bloody hell, I'd be out of there like a shot.

#2842123 - 03/16/17 04:52 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: JerryA]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Originally Posted By: JerryA

"Can we gig every weekend, and practice maybe once a month? We are so good."

If you play every weekend, why do you need to practice? Once a month to learn new tunes is plenty if you are playing the rest of the show every weekend... at least that's how it works in my band.

Quote:
Front-lady (the star): "My husband will be running sound."

lol. there is a woman singer in this area whose husband is part of the package for that same reason. His job is to turn her up louder than anyone in the band. After being asked to leave the last band she was in for this reason, she now "gigs" with a karaoke app and her husband runs "sound" for her. Which means, I'm guessing, pressing play on the next song and adjusting her vocal to be louder than the backing tracks. Her schtick is "the 1st woman rock singer from India" except she was born and raised in a white collar suburban neighborhood, and just happens to be of Indian descent.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2842142 - 03/16/17 06:48 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: DanL]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Any husband wife teams. At least in my experience.

#2842143 - 03/16/17 06:55 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: DanL]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: DanL

If you play every weekend, why do you need to practice? Once a month to learn new tunes is plenty if you are playing the rest of the show every weekend... at least that's how it works in my band.

Yeah, if anything constant practicing after we reach gigging song volume would be a reason for me not to join. With two kids at home my time is limited, and I've found that we can often play certain songs for the first time at certain gigs (not higher-profile ones) with no practice at all. Obviously some songs may not work well like this smile

If everyone learns their parts--a big IF going by my last 5 bands--no reason you can't knock out five or more new tunes in a practice. Again, depending on what they are...we are classic rock oldies where some tunes if you say the key we can figure it out from memory...if you were a Yes tribute band, not so much grin

#2842146 - 03/16/17 07:01 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: Michael Wright]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Michael Wright
Any husband wife teams. At least in my experience.

To include boyfriend girlfriend teams. Marriage isn't necessarily the only prerequisite for disaster.

#2842148 - 03/16/17 07:04 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: Stokely]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: cphollis
Tonight I introduced a decent guitarist to the whole concept of "amp stand". I brought one for him. He was blown away, and thanked me deeply. A revelation to him. Glad I could help.
Congratulations. That's almost precisely the definition of "decent" guitarist. The opposite of this is the guy who says "no, it has to be on the floor, my tone sounds wrong on the stand".

Yeah, overplayed, but... try playing it "properly". Slower, with pocket and a decent groove. I don't mind playing MS if we take it seriously. But it is overplayed, I grant you.

Originally Posted By: Stokely
If everyone learns their parts--a big IF going by my last 5 bands--no reason you can't knock out five or more new tunes in a practice.
This. I worked in a band where Guitar 2 expected to be told what to play, and to be handed a chart. I haven't got time for that any more. I don't mind doing charts, but to have someone gaze at it and incredulously ask "gee MINOR seventh?". He's now left, and Guitar 1 and I are putting together an old-school soul band with horns. Which means (thread derail) I'm learning all about horn arrangements - which it turns out I love.

Cheers, Mike.

Edited by stoken6 (03/16/17 07:05 AM)

#2842154 - 03/16/17 07:14 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: DanL]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: DanL

Absolutely. I should have clarified. This was a red flag to me ... a comment made in a new band coming together, not an established band with a developed setlist.

#2842155 - 03/16/17 07:16 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: stoken6]
tarkus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: MIAMI, Fl
"we tune down a half step because the singer can't hit the high notes... you might wanna tune down your KB a 1/2 step..."

#2842181 - 03/16/17 08:48 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: tarkus]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: tarkus
"we tune down a half step because the singer can't hit the high notes... you might wanna tune down your KB a 1/2 step..."

We tune down, but not so much that the singer(s) can't hit the notes...they gig so much between an acoustic duo and the full band--4 gigs in a weekend isn't that uncommon--that it really helps with endurance. I just globally transpose each keyboard at the start of the show, though once when I lost power I forgot to do one of them....surprise! "That was a jazz chord!"

#2842186 - 03/16/17 09:39 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: Stokely]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

wife is vocals and keys player (very good) and husband is ... the drummer

#2842189 - 03/16/17 09:46 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: El Lobo]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: El Lobo
wife is vocals and keys player (very good) and husband is ... the drummer

Run away! crazy

#2842192 - 03/16/17 09:51 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: RobP2]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: RobP2
"we expect 110% commitment and for you not to be involved in any other music projects."
This would be fine, assuming it means they have 2-3 gigs a week lined up for the next 6 months of the gig calendar or are preparing for a tour that's already booked. But this kind of thing is usually said by a band that's just getting together, has no gigs, and hasn't rehearsed yet or even settled on who the members are.

#2842197 - 03/16/17 09:59 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: DanL]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
"We don't want to take the band out till we're perfect...."

All well and good and should be strived for, I agree, but please define 'perfect' for me once again!
.....then the 1st gig is 8-9 months in the future.
Never again....covers present their own set of problemas don't they!

#2842199 - 03/16/17 10:06 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: Legatoboy]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Yeah....."This isn't going to be just a normal bar band.....we're going to rehearse for AT LEAST A YEAR and record a CD before we do any gigs".......I've already lived WAY longer than I was anticipating, don't think I should look that far ahead....

#2842200 - 03/16/17 10:08 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: Legatoboy]
marczellm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Budapest, Hungary
Bad grammar and spelling in written communication is not a show stopper in itself, but can be a red flag.
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G

#2842206 - 03/16/17 10:42 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: marczellm]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"Bad grammar and spelling in written communication is not a show stopper in itself, but can be a red flag."

Defn: 'Problema' cop taz cheers
( See also:
problemática, problemático, problematizar, probable)

(Guess I just hail from a different era!)

Marczell that's American slang, we use a Spanish word here and there..

Edited by Legatoboy (03/16/17 10:52 AM)

#2842208 - 03/16/17 10:50 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: Legatoboy]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
"Bad grammar and spelling in written communication is not a show stopper in itself, but can be a red flag."

( See also:

Guess I just hail from a different era!

The one that gets me is when some idiot "corrects" me and says "it's problemo" (hint: it isn't)

#2842214 - 03/16/17 11:01 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: Wastrel]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Wastrel

( See also:

Guess I just hail from a different era!

The one that gets me is when some idiot "corrects" me and says "it's problemo" (hint: it isn't)

Problemo Defn. is a Problema .... like

#2842215 - 03/16/17 11:05 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: Legatoboy]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
"We don't want to take the band out till we're perfect...."

All well and good and should be strived for, I agree, but please define 'perfect' for me once again!
.....then the 1st gig is 8-9 months in the future.
Never again....covers present their own set of problemas don't they!

Normally this is a red flag for me, for a bar/cover band. We honestly waited with our Floyd tribute for almost a year to work our show up and get it as good as possible. When you expect people to pay $20+ for tickets, you have to be good.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2842225 - 03/16/17 11:46 AM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: RobP2]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Ledbetter
5. Lead singer has a cowbell.
If it's this band I take the gig! (Though the keyboard player plays rings around me. wink )

Originally Posted By: RobP2
we expect 110% commitment and for you not to be involved in any other music projects
Pretty much anything where they're talking about how I run *my* business or who I am such as age, whether I have a "reliable" car (it worked today...), what kind of gear I have or that they have, etc. is a red flag. That's because they clearly already have baggage.

#2842235 - 03/16/17 12:22 PM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: Joe Muscara]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

My favorite overall red flag is something I call the "Angry Craigslist Band ad".

Thankfully I'm not looking these days, but there was a time...

first sign of this is a giant long bunch of text. Ok, let's read it.
These ads start off nice, and might even get you interested based on the type of music etc.

Then the anger starts to build as the ad writer starts in on the things they *don't* want.
"Please don't think about joining this band if you can't show up on time."

The longer the ad goes, the angrier it gets, and more details start creeping in:
"If you have a crazy girlfriend who is going to yell at the band because she doesn't see you enough, you're not man enough to be in this band."

I know what causes this, because I've been on the other side: endless auditions causing the band to never leave the ground. But ad dude: keep it short, keep it positive, and don't scare away people!

#2842238 - 03/16/17 12:44 PM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: HammondDave]
lerber3 Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Let's rehearse Mustang Sally.

#2842239 - 03/16/17 12:48 PM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: lerber3]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: lerber3

And take it someplace its never been taken before....

#2842264 - 03/16/17 02:22 PM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: area51recording]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: area51recording
Originally Posted By: lerber3
And take it someplace its never been taken before....

LOL.

"How about Mustang Sally - but... over a kind of dub/hop/trip/prog-steady groove, with a sort of psychotronica/metal-bop attitude."

Cheers, Mike.

#2842266 - 03/16/17 02:35 PM Re: Red Flags--What Are Yours? [Re: Stokely]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Stokely
My favorite overall red flag is something I call the "Angry Craigslist Band ad".

Thankfully I'm not looking these days, but there was a time...

first sign of this is a giant long bunch of text. Ok, let's read it.
These ads start off nice, and might even get you interested based on the type of music etc.

Then the anger starts to build as the ad writer starts in on the things they *don't* want.
"Please don't think about joining this band if you can't show up on time."

The longer the ad goes, the angrier it gets, and more details start creeping in:
"If you have a crazy girlfriend who is going to yell at the band because she doesn't see you enough, you're not man enough to be in this band."

I know what causes this, because I've been on the other side: endless auditions causing the band to never leave the ground. But ad dude: keep it short, keep it positive, and don't scare away people!
Yeah, this is the logical next step of red flags after what I was getting at. Yeesh.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner