Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2841272 - 03/13/17 01:26 AM Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions?
FunkKeyStuff Offline
Platinum Member

I'm not happy with my current Clav sounds, and am curious about what's out there in plug-in land. I was hoping the one in Neo-Soul Keys would work for me, but it's not cutting it; the tuning issues alone make it unusable for me. So, any opinions on the current crop of dedicated Clav libraries – Scarbee, Acousticsamples, SonicCouture, or others? I'm especially interested in something that captures good staccato pops and snaps.

KC Island
#2841273 - 03/13/17 02:09 AM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
midinut Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: North Carolina
I like the Scarbee myself, but I think one of the better ones is Guido's (GSI) ZD6 or Die Funky Maschine. If you're on a Mac you'll need a 32-bit wrapper like 32-Lives. I would think Keyscape nails it too. The demos sounded good.

#2841304 - 03/13/17 07:01 AM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Keyscape maybe overkill if you're looking for just clav, but midinut is right that Keyscape's clav samples are fantastic.

Originally Posted By: FunkKeyStuff
I'm especially interested in something that captures good staccato pops and snaps.

I was just recently lamenting that I couldn't get the Superstition style pops and snaps out of any clav sound I had - software or hardware, at least not to my satisfaction. And after experimenting, I think the key to getting this is to compress the snot out out of it. I'd be curious to how other people acheive this as well, but once I applied tons of compression, I was suddenly getting much more of the staccato pops and snaps. Does anyone else have tips on achieving this?

#2841309 - 03/13/17 07:14 AM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Mighty Ferguson]
Markay Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
I use the Pianoteq 5 Clav.

I have others but in a cover band situation the responsiveness of a modelled VI is of more value to me than the any small difference in sonic accuracy when compared to a sampled VI.

#2841334 - 03/13/17 08:41 AM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Mighty Ferguson]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Mighty Ferguson
I was just recently lamenting that I couldn't get the Superstition style pops and snaps out of any clav sound I had - software or hardware, at least not to my satisfaction. And after experimenting, I think the key to getting this is to compress the snot out out of it. I'd be curious to how other people acheive this as well, but once I applied tons of compression, I was suddenly getting much more of the staccato pops and snaps. Does anyone else have tips on achieving this?

As I happened to have mentioned elsewhere recently, to me, what makes the clav "snap" is a low release point. So if you're really into clav, you might want to look for a controller that has an action that sends "note off" pretty low in its travel. I first discovered this in a King Korg which has a low release point as an option, but while it helps get you that snap, it was not really usable for this purpose because its low release keyboard mode doesn't have velocity sending enabled, and while it may not be as important as with piano, you still really want some velocity expressivity in the clav as well. Then I discovered that the SV1 works very well. Some may not like playing clav with the weighted action, but it works fine for me. (The total travel is on the small side as well, which may help.) So you may want to experiment with triggering your clav sounds from various actions.

#2841348 - 03/13/17 09:07 AM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: AnotherScott]
RoadHousePiano Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
+1 on Pianoteq. I'm not a clav enthusiast but I think it's fantastic. I like it better than the clav in my Nord Stage. The other Fender sounds that you get with it, Pianet N and Pianet T are pretty cool too. Good effects, etc. I have Scarbee also...it might be fine but I've been using Pianoteq exclusively so I can't really comment on Scarbee.

#2841351 - 03/13/17 09:14 AM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: RoadHousePiano]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: RoadHousePiano
The other Fender sounds that you get with it, Pianet N and Pianet T are pretty cool too.

??? Hohner?

#2841355 - 03/13/17 09:32 AM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Wastrel]
RoadHousePiano Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Originally Posted By: Wastrel
Originally Posted By: RoadHousePiano
The other Fender sounds that you get with it, Pianet N and Pianet T are pretty cool too.

??? Hohner?
Yes, Hohner, sorry bout that.

#2841357 - 03/13/17 09:33 AM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
Steve Nathan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
I like the SonicCouture the best. like

www.stevenathanmusic.com

#2841372 - 03/13/17 10:25 AM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Steve Nathan]
davinwv Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Bridgeport, WV, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Steve Nathan

I agree with Steve, although I haven't A/B'ed the Soniccouture with Keyscape yet.

#2841397 - 03/13/17 12:01 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: davinwv]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Nothing comes close to Soniccouture's Clavinet. I had forgotten about it until this weekend when I did another shootout after the release of Neo-Soul keys Studio.

The Soniccouture library is the only one that makes me think I'm hearing the real thing. Pianoteq's is fun and can cut through in certain circumstances. It definitely has long-term potential.

I own quite a few, and the Soniccouture library is the only one that covers all of the possible settings and signal paths.

#2841424 - 03/13/17 01:42 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

I'm really enjoying the Keyscape Clavinets, but I haven't tried Soniccouture's. Does anyone here have both; and if so, how do they compare?

Q Up Arts (remember them?) California Keys has been generating some buzz as well. Here's the Clavinet from that collection:

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2841432 - 03/13/17 02:12 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Geoff Grace]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
Must try Soniccoutures, too many +'s on their 200A and D6.
I have several of everything.
I like PTeq Pro because I can mute the top and keep the low end opened up, which KC used 2 tracks to do in lots of his tunes, but he had a whammy too which also makes PTeq's extremely versatile.

Keyscape is pretty good, so is Neo Soul.

PTeq 200A is my fav because of the note editing and sound.
Pteq Rhodes sucks.
Keyscape Rhodes by far is my best and I started collecting them since Scarbee Gigasampler days.

But think its time to give Soniccouture a few nickels and dimes.
Too many cats that gig like it, in my book that's worth a try.

Anybody can make a sampled instrument sound good on a demo.

Thanks for the push Steve and Mark...

#2841483 - 03/13/17 06:20 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: FunkKeyStuff
I'm not happy with my current Clav sounds

Be happy then that you don't own an actual clavinet else you really wouldn't like your current clavinet sounds. I struggle with this. Like hardware and Markay I'm OK with Pianoteq's clav. I also am OK with Scarbee. I don't own SonicCouture but every time this subject comes up it seems to win, plus, were it me, I would trust Steve Nathan's ear. Also Mark Schmieder seems to have a pretty good handle on VST's and it's his pick.
'88 Kawai 52" Upright,'61 Hammond A100,'81 Rhodes 88 Mark II Stage,'71 Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet E7, Moog Voyager, Leslies 142/Studio 12, Yamaha CP70, DSI Prophet 08, Arp Solina, Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo

#2841502 - 03/13/17 07:53 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: davedoerfler]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
I run all fake synths and electro-mechanical stuff through the Space Heater Tubes and it really helps.
But Zebra2 HZ is my go to Wah-Wah D6.
It's a fat OBX Clav patch with super staccato, but the XMF and Diva Filters really get the Headhunters groove.
A slight amount of Oscillator sync gets added to the Filter Wah-Wah Expression Pedal and it's very powerful.

In Bidule I'll run Soniccoutere through Zebra2 HZ for Wah Wah and then dry to a mixer.
We'll see if it's fatter than KeyS, PTeq or Zebra2 HZ.

#2841505 - 03/13/17 08:11 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: hardware]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

At $99, Soniccouture's Clav seems like a no brainer—especially if you need a Clavinet and don't have a great one already.

As for me, I'm going to hold off because Keyscape is already pretty great; and at the moment, I don't need a better Clavinet than that. In fact, I'm not sure there is a better Clavinet than that. Nonetheless, I'll be interested in your comparisons, hardware.

Best,

Geoff

#2841506 - 03/13/17 08:17 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Geoff Grace]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Geoff, good to know about California Keys getting good press; I had written it off as likely being a re-release of some old mid-90's library, due to the vendor (I have some of their stuff because it fills a void, but much of it dates back to the days of sample-only libraries with no key switches or velocity cross-fades etc.).

#2841507 - 03/13/17 08:19 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Also, for additional context, I probably own more libraries than anyone on this forum, but the one that I don't own is Keyscape, so keep that in mind when reading my reviews of any keyboard-oriented library.

I simply couldn't justify the cost as I already have so many great libraries in each category, and as catch-alls rarely have as much detail as dedicated libraries. But I may be proven wrong with Keyscape. It's on my "long list".

#2841513 - 03/13/17 09:05 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

I think you'll find the Keyscape Creative library—which makes use of Omnisphere 2's features and Keyscape's samples—will make Keyscape less of a redundant purchase, Mark; but I completely understand why it's a hard-sell for someone who has as many libraries as you do.

I imagine you may be one of the few people here who has more libraries than I do, so I always pay extra attention when you chime in on a music software thread. (There are a few others here too—Steve, Busch, and hardware come to mind—who are really focused on virtual instruments. Sorry if I left anyone out.)

Best,

Geoff

#2841766 - 03/15/17 12:28 AM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Geoff Grace]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hmm, I do quite like how Omnisphere breathes new life into some of the older vocal libraries from Spectrasonics, so the Keyscape Creative Library might indeed be an enticement to add this purchase a bit down the road.

#2842550 - 03/17/17 09:42 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Geoff Grace]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Geoff Grace
At $99, Soniccouture's Clav seems like a no brainer—especially if you need a Clavinet and don't have a great one already.

I wish there were a demo version of this. Was just playing around with the clav's in Pianoteq, Scarbee, and ZD6 Die Funky Maschine. Can't say I was happy with any of them. I did rediscover the old, long discontinued, Native Instruments Elektrik Piano Clavinet. This sampled clavinet won tonight's shoot out. Bought it in October 2008. You just never know sometimes.
'88 Kawai 52" Upright,'61 Hammond A100,'81 Rhodes 88 Mark II Stage,'71 Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet E7, Moog Voyager, Leslies 142/Studio 12, Yamaha CP70, DSI Prophet 08, Arp Solina, Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo

#2842674 - 03/18/17 02:44 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: davedoerfler]
keyman27 Offline

Loc: United States
With Pianoteq's clav, you get the Pianet N as well. I really like the N, so that would be a good consolation prize even if you end up not using the clav.

#2842675 - 03/18/17 02:51 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: keyman27]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

so because you like something it's good for everyone else.

#2843217 - 03/20/17 05:04 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: davedoerfler]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Originally Posted By: Geoff Grace

I wish there were a demo version of this.

Got to demo this today at brother Markyboards amazing studio. It is head and shoulders above anything I currently own. Bigger, thicker, then I heard a preset through the built in Moog filter and I was sold. It's om my short list. cool

#2843243 - 03/20/17 07:08 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
Steve Nathan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Quote:
It is head and shoulders above anything I currently own.

Your Honor, The defense rests laugh

www.stevenathanmusic.com

#2876912 - 09/03/17 07:03 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Steve Nathan]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

so I finally purchased this after 6 months. I went to the website looking to audition the Canterbury Suitcase Rhodes (with no intention of buying it, I damn sure don't need another Rhodes VST regardless of how good it is) and saw the Clavinet was on sale for US $59.00. I am able to get that amount through the purchasing department. smile
This is my last VST... grin

#2876939 - 09/03/17 09:53 PM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: davedoerfler]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hope you enjoy it Dave. That's a good price. I was using it again yesterday on a song I woke up with, and it really made a big difference in making a VERY rough initial cut (with only three or four parts at first) sound convincing as a "live" performance to those I sent it to.

#2876970 - 09/04/17 05:25 AM Re: Current state of Clav VSTs – opinions? [Re: Steve Nathan]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Steve Nathan

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner