Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dexibell Combo J7

Teaser for the Combo J7 - not much to go on yet.

[video:youtube]

Classico L3 - portable classical digital organ

Anyone know who their US distributor is, or is going to be? And dealers pick them up yet?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how they have implemented the automated drawbars/faders? I'm going to assume that when you call up a preset or user patch, the drawbars will jump into position for the patch.

Can we also take a guess that the organs will be sample based? Dexibell's claim to fame is the DSP running at 24 bit linear, 48 Khz (Internal processing and DSP at 32 bit floating). 320 Oscillators. Also curious to see how good their effects might be.

• 2 months later...

It sounds like they've done a lot of work on the organ (model, samples?) and fx. Or licensed them, who knows... the Leslie simulation sounds pretty well for a YouTube video demo. The look (particularly the end caps) is unique. And the automated faders jumping to position from preset recall is very cool as we all know from having to clear position by crossing current state on typical digital organs.

Now, if only this single manual also included synth and orchestral timbres and could split/layer. Maybe even some EPs and an AP for use in a pinch. Can't price it without all that at more than an XK-1C or 3c. Or this vaporware VOX that Korg hints at.

Now, if only this single manual also included synth and orchestral timbres and could split/layer. Maybe even some EPs and an AP for use in a pinch. Can't price it without all that at more than an XK-1C or 3c.

It looks like it will be priced at about double the XK1C (at least in Europe... since it's manufactured there, the price differential may end up being more here). It has at least the advantages of motorized drawbars, 73 keys, and a bunch of additional non-organ sounds.

I don't know specifically what the other sounds are or what its split/layer capabilities are, but I suspect they will be along the lines of what is in the P7/S7, as the specs have many similarities apart from the organ-specific stuff of the J7, the MIDI controller stuff of the S7, the built in speakers of the P7. For example, "up to 15 seconds on lower piano notes" and 320-note polyphony. Actually the J7 says 96 sounds, vs. 79 in the others. They all support additional downloadable sounds. (Obviously, the J7 uses a different action.)

A video on their facebook page demonstrates a split of a string pad on bottom and a sax sound on top.

More info here...

http://www.dexibell.com/catalog/view/theme/fancy/image/DATASHEET%20COMBOJ7.pdf

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Good news, feature wise and competitive pricing wise. We'll have to see how good their MIDI implementation is. But the hardware is most likely based on what's running their pianos which likely means the kicked up a notch sample and/or bit rate will be on this instrument as well. Intrigued to say the least.

• 1 month later...

They are very busy on this Combo J7, guys... I am dying to see one in the US. http://www.hayabusa.org/images/smilies/fire.gif

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHR82zR82n0

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIBy9Yxy8tE

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avbooz6z6Gg

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0mBXQ25dvY

Not to derail this thead, but this is the Dexibell that caught my attention;

Not to derail, but me also, but that was the other thread. Something is definitely going on with this company.

Here for the gear.

Re: the Vivo - their hardware is based on a quad-core processor with the audio engine running at 24bit/48k. With sampled instruments like the piano they say the engine has 320 oscillators and suggest limitless polyphony and that the low notes begin with 15 second samples. I would imagine they are using the same platform for the Combo J7.

Other than the fact they'll be using the same Fatar actions as most everyone else, my interest is highly tweaked.

What you describe is for the (stage-) pianos.

I doubt they use samples for the organ, but can be for the classical organ.

My experience is, organ models don´t need insanely DSP power, see what GSi gets out of a single DSP in the MOJO61.

So, I think the organ is modelled and uses the DSP cycles it really needs.

Less (powerful) DSP chips reduce production costs, that´s what they do too I think.

A.C.

edit:

I just see they use sampling and modelling in the combo J7, so yes, it can be they use the same "engine" than the VIVOs.

I don't know how much they'll share innards wise as a release approaches. But my suspicion is that they'll run the organ model and fx at 24bit/48k since this is what differentiates them. In the case of the JC, the automated faders are a standout as well.

Just looking at the pdf info for the Combo J7 and the lowest E and F# notes appear broken??

http://www.dexibell.com/catalog/view/theme/fancy/image/DATASHEET%20COMBOJ7.pdf

Strange to include this in your official pdf unless they are some type of preset key like in a Hammond? You can see them depressed again on page 2. Weird.

Dockeys

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

24bit/48k since this is what differentiates them. In the case of the JC, the automated faders are a standout as well.

I love the automated drawbar idea. I'm not yet convinced about the organ sound, though there's always the magic of the Vent. I also wonder whether the drawbars could send and respond to MIDI CC in such a way that a Gemini Desktop could be used as the organ engine in conjunction with the motorization.

As for the 24bit/48k thing, I don't care about that. It's arguable whether you can generally hear that benefit on a high-end audio system, I can't imagine you'll ever notice the difference when playing live through a PA or whatever.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Right, obviously more valuable in recording situations than live band situation. Although it is likely nice solo with good amplification as well.

I don't know what price point they'd hit with this. Ya, of course if the Leslie isn't doing it for you you could Vent as with even cheapie others like the VR-09. However I don't know if I'd spend what they're are likely asking for this if I didn't like the organ engine - I mean I'd immediately pass on it. The desktop Gemini isn't cheap at $1149. Maybe your suggesting the value might be in the automated faders being able to send CC.

Liking it son far, looking forward to hear more. Especially the pianos, clavs and the user interface (is it user friendly like the nords, with effects on hand?). Meanwhile, some "other sounds" kinda stuff is being posted on their YT channel:

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Ooo, that's a great add. This thing must be arriving soon. They say, "DEXIBELL COMBO J7 the one and only organ with motorized Draw-Faders and over 100 top quality sounds including legendary Pianos from VIVO". That's funny - the VIVO pianos are "legendary"? :) Most have never seen or heard one in person yet.

But regardless, thanks for keeping an eye out:

A lot of these demos seem to be showing three layers. A lead instrument, a chordal instrument and a monophonic bass patch (I am guessing that's how the player is chording but getting the single note bass sample attack with the left hand? How is the firmware discerning lowest pitch is the bass note that should sound? Or is his pinky playing beneath the split point?)

A lot of these demos seem to be showing three layers. A lead instrument, a chordal instrument and a monophonic bass patch (I am guessing that's how the player is chording but getting the single note bass sample attack with the left hand? How is the firmware discerning lowest pitch is the bass note that should sound? Or is his pinky playing beneath the split point?)

I can't hear the low bass on my computer speakers, but I noticed something similar on the EP/harmonica layer, where the harmonica only plays one note. I assume he was layering a monophonic harmonica sound with the EP sound, and had it sent for top-note priority.

Still no J7 EP/Clav videos... But apparently they have a new adition to the Vivo Line, with 68 keys, (looking like weighted) aluminum chassis and 8,5kg, the S1:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCYJht7WsAIq0ww.jpg

Wondering how it compares with the others.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

• 1 month later...