Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Viscount Legend Live demo

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good old school sounds.

Viscount has provided me with great gear under the Oberheim name like their Hammond Clone and an MC3000.

More recently the outstanding Physis K4.

Good to know their warranty guys are Stateside too.

Free shipping and service on products under warranty too.

Really like this company. 21 years a happy camper....

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I think they are Fatar TP8O, but I understand it there is no modifications. I think that is the same as the original Crumar Mojo and the GSI DMC-122 controller, if that is the case.

Also, it has a self contained power supply, so no wall wart, either on the Legend.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Great sound, perfect user interface.

Can anybody comment on the action?

Perhaps Marco (KRK) can tell? He made the earlier five clips with Alberto Marsico playing the Legend, Marco might have put his hands on it?

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

Hey Delaware Dave....

Is the C/V on the Voce V5 plus really this good? Cause if it is, I need one today!

Good sounds all around from the new Key B. The player is a bit happy on the expression pedal but other than that I am hearing no evil. Could be a winner with proper marketing.

The V5+ improved the C/V over the V5. It's not quite this good but I like it better than the Hammond XK3/3c, XK1. I sold my XM2 module (XK1 in a rack) because of the washy C/V which I couldn't take anymore. The V5+'s C/V is not too bad but to the discerning ear still needs improvement. The C/V on the Voce however is not spittable by upper/lower manual. Sorry for taking us off topic.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Still trying to make up my mind between a Viscount Legend Live, Crumar Mojo or a DMC-122 with the Gemini module add on....

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I like the wood on the Viscount more than the Mojo but I like the look of the Mojo better overall. I wish the dual manual Mojo had the flat top like the 61. And I wish the Mojo had a cute set of legs, like a Wurly, or a matching wooden base. I always liked the Korg clones and still think about getting a BX3. They looked so classy and the controls were all in the right places. I don't know if the sound would hold up though, what do you think?
1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

Still trying to make up my mind between a Viscount Legend Live, Crumar Mojo or a DMC-122 with the Gemini module add on....
+1

With sound engines this similar, it's a hard call.

Form factor: advantage Legend.

Versatility: advantage DMC-122/Gemini.

But, is it really possible to go wrong with any of those rigs?

Dennis

I think the Legend Live is a really attractive organ. I find myself staring at pictures of it several times a day. This is an ominous sign.

The ergos are perfect for me. 4 drawbar sets, fitted into a 5 instead of 6 octave cabinet, perc and cv controls correctly placed, under 40 lb, flat top, slightly deeper so a narrow slab piano could rest on top, built in half moon...

Mojo is my favorite to date soundwise, but it's not perfect. I have always thought the KeyB sounded great on videos and have wanted to try the sound engine myself. I've owned just about everything else, so what the hey. <-- (rationalization)

http://www.viscountinstruments.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/1200x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/d/s/dsc_0788.jpg

Take off the transpose button and it would be perfect! ;)

Moe

---

I think the Legend Live is a really attractive organ. I find myself staring at pictures of it several times a day. This is an ominous sign.

The ergos are perfect for me. 4 drawbar sets, fitted into a 5 instead of 6 octave cabinet, perc and cv controls correctly placed, under 40 lb, flat top, slightly deeper so a narrow slab piano could rest on top, built in half moon...

Mojo is my favorite to date soundwise, but it's not perfect. I have always thought the KeyB sounded great on videos and have wanted to try the sound engine myself. I've owned just about everything else, so what the hey. <-- (rationalization)

http://www.viscountinstruments.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/1200x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/d/s/dsc_0788.jpg

Take off the transpose button and it would be perfect! ;)

Damn it ! Your not making this easy are you...BTW, I asked and found out the distance between the rear and where the drawbars start, - it is approx. 20cm ( 8" ) . I was hoping I could fit a Clav up there but it is too short. I'm thinking the SV-1 would fit ok. I cant wait till this gets on our shores.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

mate_stubb, do you know if the Legend Live has preset buttons? I haven't been able to digure that out from the spec pdf or the pictures.....

i'm very interested in the Legend Live as it's closest to the true ergonomics besides the MAG custom organs, and I'm looking at solutions with and without preset keys....preset keys are preferable ergonomically but the extra 10 lbs plus the longer dimensions are not.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

mate_stubb, do you know if the Legend Live has preset buttons? I haven't been able to digure that out from the spec pdf or the pictures.....

2 presets for each manual as well as the 2 sets of drawbars. This was initially a factor for me, however, when I play, I'm mostly using the drawbars live, I rarely use presets , If your looking for more presets, you would need the Legend full size.

I was also thinking about the fact neither of these boards have any king of deep editing available like a H/S or Mojo, which again initially was a no go for me. But when I really think about it, if the sound is "there" , you really don't need all the deep menu edits. Once I set up what I have and have a sound I'm happy with, I don't go back and change anything. so that factor is not a problem for me as long as the sound is good....

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

2 presets per manual + 2 drawbar sets means you can have 4 registrations per manual waiting.

No deep editing, but there are 3 organ models available (30s, 50s, 70s) and dedicated knobs for crosstalk and click.

The only negative I have heard said about the KeyB engine was that some feel it doesn't cut in the top octave. I won't know how I feel about that until I try it. Careful pairing of organ to amplification may help that.

Moe

---

Would anybody here buy a Viscount Legend as a pre-order before the first shipments come in to the US? I had a great price to be the first one on the block and pre pay, but that seemed a little risky to just go on a couple of inconclusive youtube videos.

I do think this is looking to be a better Hammond clone than the Crumar Mojo in form and function, and I don't think this is a Windows PC architecture inside, like the Mojo, either.

That being said, I also keep coming back to the DMC-122/Gemini module combo as the alternative next purchase, even though it looks kind of ugly but has all of that versatility as an all in one.

Would anybody here buy a Viscount Legend as a pre-order before the first shipments come in to the US? I had a great price to be the first one on the block and pre pay, but that seemed a little risky to just go on a couple of inconclusive youtube videos.

Hey Jeff, get it, hate it then sell it to me for 1/2 price... ;)

How great of a price? I might bite.

Moe

---

How great of a price? I might bite.

Hey, I was first !.... ;) Yeah, I'm wondering which retailer, and if they have a return policy.

"I find myself staring at pictures of it several times a day."

You are done for. :)

"4 drawbar sets, fitted into a 5 instead of 6 octave cabinet"

Precisely. The Live to play out. The B3 stays (or I'm my case the XK-5) stays home.

Even the older version of the Live sounds great:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq551Q5ilDo&ab_channel=b3jazzman

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdaOnNgDQEg&ab_channel=b3jazzman

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvHg_4cFePc&ab_channel=b3jazzman

The new version has the same sound engine as the new Legend:

https://www.facebook.com/patbianchijazz/videos/10211797499718186/

(looks like this video has been taken down - expect a new one on the viscount site soon http://www.viscountinstruments.us/vintage.html )

Some of these Youtube clips do sound good, don't they. I am starting to see a lot of used Mojo dual manuals on the market.

Not that there is anything I don't like about the Mojo. I have always been a Key B fan since the minute I heard one. They just seemed to be so much on the right track sound wise. The distribution has been a mess, which is why I have a had a Numa for the past 6 years.

The distribution has been a mess, which is why I have a had a Numa for the past 6 years.

...and this is the reason I didn't want to be the first person on The Keyboard Corner in the US to own one. Exactly.

By the way... I just went back and listened to the Youtube clip of Joey D. playing the original Key B with David Sanborn in Europe in 2010.

The organ sounds great and not unlike what I am hearing on these recent clips.

I also listened to a recent ( Summer 2010 ) clip of Joey playing a Hammond at Dizzy's in New York. The lower manual comping is very distorted. There is nothing of this sort coming from the Key B recording.

I have always known from doing tons of rentals that unwanted distortion can be a major issue. I would often recommend using two short cabinet leslie 145's, and a lot of people took me up on it- if the stage manager would allow it. It was more for the player than for the audience .

It makes sense to me to use clones to get a clean sound if that is what you are going for. Most of the jazz guys prefer that.

I still have the JoeyD Numa as well, in a room far away from the XK-5. I have not compared them side by side yet. Not sure about what I'm going to find in terms of the Leslie SIM in a side by side comparison; the Numa seems more "chorusy" on chorus but the XK-5 sounds closer to a real Leslie IMHO. Plus it has lots of tweak-ability so you can change the rotor spins it to suit the Leslie sound you are accustomed to. I prefer the keyboard feel on the XK-5. I was Ok with the Numa keybed, but playing on the XK-5 has spoiled me.