Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2839779 - 03/05/17 08:51 AM Viscount Legend Live demo
JohnDoe Offline

Loc: Sweden
New demo of the Legend Live, with Alberto Marsico:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCgSsbfTC3s

Edited by JohnDoe (03/05/17 09:01 AM)

KC Island
#2839784 - 03/05/17 09:17 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnDoe]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Mojo killer?

#2839792 - 03/05/17 10:06 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jeffinpghpa]
hardware Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
Very good old school sounds.
Viscount has provided me with great gear under the Oberheim name like their Hammond Clone and an MC3000.
More recently the outstanding Physis K4.
Good to know their warranty guys are Stateside too.
Free shipping and service on products under warranty too.
Really like this company. 21 years a happy camper....

#2839795 - 03/05/17 10:18 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: hardware]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Best leslie sim I've heard, better than the Vent. The Mojo still has the best C/V though. This C/V sounds like my Voce V5+.

#2839801 - 03/05/17 10:38 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: hardware]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Great sound, perfect user interface.

Can anybody comment on the action?

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2839804 - 03/05/17 10:48 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
jeffinpghpa Offline

I think they are Fatar TP8O, but I understand it there is no modifications. I think that is the same as the original Crumar Mojo and the GSI DMC-122 controller, if that is the case.

Also, it has a self contained power supply, so no wall wart, either on the Legend.

#2839805 - 03/05/17 11:00 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
JohnDoe Offline

Originally Posted By: mate stubb

Perhaps Marco (KRK) can tell? He made the earlier five clips with Alberto Marsico playing the Legend, Marco might have put his hands on it?

#2839874 - 03/05/17 05:54 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnDoe]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

Hey Delaware Dave....

Is the C/V on the Voce V5 plus really this good? Cause if it is, I need one today!

Good sounds all around from the new Key B. The player is a bit happy on the expression pedal but other than that I am hearing no evil. Could be a winner with proper marketing.

#2839945 - 03/06/17 06:10 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: LX88]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The V5+ improved the C/V over the V5. It's not quite this good but I like it better than the Hammond XK3/3c, XK1. I sold my XM2 module (XK1 in a rack) because of the washy C/V which I couldn't take anymore. The V5+'s C/V is not too bad but to the discerning ear still needs improvement. The C/V on the Voce however is not spittable by upper/lower manual. Sorry for taking us off topic.

#2840023 - 03/06/17 01:39 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: Delaware Dave]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Still trying to make up my mind between a Viscount Legend Live, Crumar Mojo or a DMC-122 with the Gemini module add on....

#2840032 - 03/06/17 02:12 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jeffinpghpa]
SteeVtheRipper Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I'd lose the DCM based on looks alone. I think it's so ugly.

#2840034 - 03/06/17 02:17 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: SteeVtheRipper]
SteeVtheRipper Offline

I like the wood on the Viscount more than the Mojo but I like the look of the Mojo better overall. I wish the dual manual Mojo had the flat top like the 61. And I wish the Mojo had a cute set of legs, like a Wurly, or a matching wooden base. I always liked the Korg clones and still think about getting a BX3. They looked so classy and the controls were all in the right places. I don't know if the sound would hold up though, what do you think?

#2840052 - 03/06/17 03:06 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jeffinpghpa]
Dnsmo Offline

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: jeffinpghpa
Still trying to make up my mind between a Viscount Legend Live, Crumar Mojo or a DMC-122 with the Gemini module add on....
+1

With sound engines this similar, it's a hard call.

Form factor: advantage Legend.
Versatility: advantage DMC-122/Gemini.

But, is it really possible to go wrong with any of those rigs?

#2841001 - 03/11/17 10:15 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: Dnsmo]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I think the Legend Live is a really attractive organ. I find myself staring at pictures of it several times a day. This is an ominous sign.

The ergos are perfect for me. 4 drawbar sets, fitted into a 5 instead of 6 octave cabinet, perc and cv controls correctly placed, under 40 lb, flat top, slightly deeper so a narrow slab piano could rest on top, built in half moon...

Mojo is my favorite to date soundwise, but it's not perfect. I have always thought the KeyB sounded great on videos and have wanted to try the sound engine myself. I've owned just about everything else, so what the hey. <-- (rationalization)

Take off the transpose button and it would be perfect! wink

#2841009 - 03/11/17 10:26 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
Aussie_Chicago Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
I think the Legend Live is a really attractive organ. I find myself staring at pictures of it several times a day. This is an ominous sign.

The ergos are perfect for me. 4 drawbar sets, fitted into a 5 instead of 6 octave cabinet, perc and cv controls correctly placed, under 40 lb, flat top, slightly deeper so a narrow slab piano could rest on top, built in half moon...

Mojo is my favorite to date soundwise, but it's not perfect. I have always thought the KeyB sounded great on videos and have wanted to try the sound engine myself. I've owned just about everything else, so what the hey. <-- (rationalization)

Take off the transpose button and it would be perfect! wink

Damn it ! Your not making this easy are you...BTW, I asked and found out the distance between the rear and where the drawbars start, - it is approx. 20cm ( 8" ) . I was hoping I could fit a Clav up there but it is too short. I'm thinking the SV-1 would fit ok. I cant wait till this gets on our shores.

#2841011 - 03/11/17 10:31 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: Aussie_Chicago]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
mate_stubb, do you know if the Legend Live has preset buttons? I haven't been able to digure that out from the spec pdf or the pictures.....

i'm very interested in the Legend Live as it's closest to the true ergonomics besides the MAG custom organs, and I'm looking at solutions with and without preset keys....preset keys are preferable ergonomically but the extra 10 lbs plus the longer dimensions are not.

Edited by jimkost2002 (03/11/17 10:35 AM)

#2841015 - 03/11/17 10:37 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jimkost2002]
Aussie_Chicago Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: jimkost2002
mate_stubb, do you know if the Legend Live has preset buttons? I haven't been able to digure that out from the spec pdf or the pictures.....

2 presets for each manual as well as the 2 sets of drawbars. This was initially a factor for me, however, when I play, I'm mostly using the drawbars live, I rarely use presets , If your looking for more presets, you would need the Legend full size.
I was also thinking about the fact neither of these boards have any king of deep editing available like a H/S or Mojo, which again initially was a no go for me. But when I really think about it, if the sound is "there" , you really don't need all the deep menu edits. Once I set up what I have and have a sound I'm happy with, I don't go back and change anything. so that factor is not a problem for me as long as the sound is good....

#2841023 - 03/11/17 10:55 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: Aussie_Chicago]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

2 presets per manual + 2 drawbar sets means you can have 4 registrations per manual waiting.

No deep editing, but there are 3 organ models available (30s, 50s, 70s) and dedicated knobs for crosstalk and click.

The only negative I have heard said about the KeyB engine was that some feel it doesn't cut in the top octave. I won't know how I feel about that until I try it. Careful pairing of organ to amplification may help that.

#2841030 - 03/11/17 11:35 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

thanks, mate and Aussie!

#2841037 - 03/11/17 12:26 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jimkost2002]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Would anybody here buy a Viscount Legend as a pre-order before the first shipments come in to the US? I had a great price to be the first one on the block and pre pay, but that seemed a little risky to just go on a couple of inconclusive youtube videos.

I do think this is looking to be a better Hammond clone than the Crumar Mojo in form and function, and I don't think this is a Windows PC architecture inside, like the Mojo, either.

That being said, I also keep coming back to the DMC-122/Gemini module combo as the alternative next purchase, even though it looks kind of ugly but has all of that versatility as an all in one.

#2841046 - 03/11/17 01:30 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jeffinpghpa]
Aussie_Chicago Offline
Gold Member

Would anybody here buy a Viscount Legend as a pre-order before the first shipments come in to the US? I had a great price to be the first one on the block and pre pay, but that seemed a little risky to just go on a couple of inconclusive youtube videos.

Hey Jeff, get it, hate it then sell it to me for 1/2 price... wink

#2841048 - 03/11/17 01:49 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jeffinpghpa]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

How great of a price? I might bite.

#2841056 - 03/11/17 02:06 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
Aussie_Chicago Offline
Gold Member

How great of a price? I might bite.

Hey, I was first !.... wink Yeah, I'm wondering which retailer, and if they have a return policy.

#2841068 - 03/11/17 03:07 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: Aussie_Chicago]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

#2841112 - 03/11/17 08:41 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
JohnnyB3 Offline

Loc: New York City
"I find myself staring at pictures of it several times a day."
You are done for. smile

"4 drawbar sets, fitted into a 5 instead of 6 octave cabinet"
Precisely. The Live to play out. The B3 stays (or I'm my case the XK-5) stays home.

Even the older version of the Live sounds great:

The new version has the same sound engine as the new Legend:

https://www.facebook.com/patbianchijazz/videos/10211797499718186/
(looks like this video has been taken down - expect a new one on the viscount site soon http://www.viscountinstruments.us/vintage.html )

Edited by JohnnyB3 (03/12/17 04:55 PM)
Edit Reason: update link info

#2841417 - 03/13/17 01:24 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnnyB3]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

Some of these Youtube clips do sound good, don't they. I am starting to see a lot of used Mojo dual manuals on the market.

Not that there is anything I don't like about the Mojo. I have always been a Key B fan since the minute I heard one. They just seemed to be so much on the right track sound wise. The distribution has been a mess, which is why I have a had a Numa for the past 6 years.

#2841422 - 03/13/17 01:40 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: LX88]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Originally Posted By: LX88
The distribution has been a mess, which is why I have a had a Numa for the past 6 years.

...and this is the reason I didn't want to be the first person on The Keyboard Corner in the US to own one. Exactly.

#2841431 - 03/13/17 02:10 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jeffinpghpa]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

By the way... I just went back and listened to the Youtube clip of Joey D. playing the original Key B with David Sanborn in Europe in 2010.

The organ sounds great and not unlike what I am hearing on these recent clips.

I also listened to a recent ( Summer 2010 ) clip of Joey playing a Hammond at Dizzy's in New York. The lower manual comping is very distorted. There is nothing of this sort coming from the Key B recording.

I have always known from doing tons of rentals that unwanted distortion can be a major issue. I would often recommend using two short cabinet leslie 145's, and a lot of people took me up on it- if the stage manager would allow it. It was more for the player than for the audience .

It makes sense to me to use clones to get a clean sound if that is what you are going for. Most of the jazz guys prefer that.

#2841520 - 03/13/17 11:13 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: LX88]
JohnnyB3 Offline

I still have the JoeyD Numa as well, in a room far away from the XK-5. I have not compared them side by side yet. Not sure about what I'm going to find in terms of the Leslie SIM in a side by side comparison; the Numa seems more "chorusy" on chorus but the XK-5 sounds closer to a real Leslie IMHO. Plus it has lots of tweak-ability so you can change the rotor spins it to suit the Leslie sound you are accustomed to. I prefer the keyboard feel on the XK-5. I was Ok with the Numa keybed, but playing on the XK-5 has spoiled me.

#2841556 - 03/14/17 06:03 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnnyB3]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Seriously, is there any clone that Joey D does NOT endorse?

Love him, but....

#endorsementwhore

#2841572 - 03/14/17 08:01 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jeffinpghpa]
wd8dky Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicagoland

Love him, but....

#endorsementwhore

Weight Watchers.

#2841576 - 03/14/17 08:14 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jeffinpghpa]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I would hope that for the money the new Hammond stuff would be equal to the original Numa.

As far as Joey D. endorsements I have no horse in that race. I only know that the Numa was out slightly before the Mojo, so I went in that direction. I still haven't spent a lot of time with a Mojo.

Anyway... the original Key B stuff still sounds good, so I am looking forward to hearing what they have come up with. I know Elvio wanted to improve the faST percussion.I was OK with slow on the Numa though.

#2841577 - 03/14/17 08:18 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: wd8dky]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: wd8dky

Love him, but....

#endorsementwhore

Weight Watchers.

uncalled for. rolleyes
'88 Kawai 52" Upright,'61 Hammond A100,'81 Rhodes 88 Mark II Stage,'71 Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet E7, Moog Voyager, Leslies 142/Studio 12, Yamaha CP70, DSI Prophet 08, Arp Solina, Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo

#2841921 - 03/15/17 11:28 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: davedoerfler]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Kraft Music has the Viscount Legend products and accesories available for preorder on their website now. They are saying 3 week lead time for them to get them in, plus free shipping.

http://www.kraftmusic.com/sitesearch/?q=viscount

They look great and value.... I'm just not going to be the first one on this forum to pull the trigger. I'm not sure what their return policy is for a boutique instrument like this.

#2841922 - 03/15/17 11:32 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: davedoerfler]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Had a nice talk with Wayne at B3 Guys in Nashville. The instant he gets his Legends in, I'm going on a road trip to check them out.

He is still being told end of April for delivery, but we all know how schedules are. Will report back after I get hands on. Starting to feel like I'm going to be the guinea pig on this one.

#2842037 - 03/15/17 05:55 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jeffinpghpa]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

What is the main difference between the two KeyB/ Viscount new models?

I have never been much of a preset player, so on the lower priced Viscount I am not seeing preset keys.

One feature I would love to see is percussion volume. I have been howling about this for years, but it is such a factor when trying to adjust to a variety of different speaker systems.

The prices look good, and I am presuming the lower priced one is at a lighter weight. BTW... a benefit of the Mojo is that it is really at a light weight for a dual manual.

#2842042 - 03/15/17 06:12 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: LX88]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

What is the main difference between the two KeyB/ Viscount new models?

I have never been much of a preset player, so on the lower priced Viscount I am not seeing preset keys.

12 reverse color preset keys per manual on the Legend, 2 push button presets per manual on Legend Live.

One feature I would love to see is percussion volume. I have been howling about this for years, but it is such a factor when trying to adjust to a variety of different speaker systems.

Percussion volume and decay knobs are on both organs.

The only other difference feature wise is that the Legend has a pre/post reverb switch that the Live does not. And the 3 buttons for choosing organ model on the Legend are collapsed down to a single button on Live.

#2842054 - 03/15/17 07:15 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jeffinpghpa]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

Just listened to the Pat Bianchi clips. Man.... the bass sounds outrageous!

The CV sounds outrageous too. This is the best CV I have heard on a recording from a clone.

I knew it. I heard Elvio's offerings at NAMM many years ago and I KNEW he was on the right track. I talked to him many times about his frustrations regarding getting distribution.

But... the man did not give up.

There have been some other recent clone offerings that just did not deliver the goods.I had a module recently that I wanted to throw at the wall and couldn't believe others were claiming it was even adequate.

The Bianchi clips sound warm and real. It's a real achievement that any clone can sound that good on what is probably direct line into a video camera.

And that is the older version of the Key B Live.

Wow.

#2842076 - 03/15/17 09:33 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: wd8dky]
Mitch Towne Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: wd8dky

Love him, but....

#endorsementwhore

Weight Watchers.

Oh, so fresh. You must be proud of yourself.

#2842090 - 03/15/17 11:29 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: LX88]
JohnnyB3 Offline

Here's another clip of the 'ol Live (you can see the pedals too):

With Out A Song w Dan Wilson Carmen Intorre
https://www.facebook.com/patbianchijazz/videos/10209261053828624/

#2842103 - 03/16/17 02:06 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnDoe]
KRK Offline

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: JohnDoe

Perhaps Marco (KRK) can tell? He made the earlier five clips with Alberto Marsico playing the Legend, Marco might have put his hands on it?

ciao!

yes, I tested two different prototypes (in 2015 and 2016).
they both had the FATAR keys with a very light/fast action (the right one).

don't know about custom adjustments to the original FATAR keybed (if any), but the feel is really good like

#2842331 - 03/16/17 08:39 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: KRK]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
This was my favorite clone at NAMM. I'll be waiting for the single manual version, which Elvio said would be forthcoming. thu

#2842352 - 03/16/17 11:47 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: LX88]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Anybody know if Pat is using the separate pedals output on his organ to run a separate bass amp?

#2842496 - 03/17/17 01:26 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

Hey Moonglow

You heard the Key B at NAMM and said it was your favorite.

Just curious. What else did you hear there?

Oh and BTW.... A single manual would be very cool. I hope it happens at a price competitive with Crumar.

#2842536 - 03/17/17 05:29 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: LX88]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey Moonglow

You heard the Key B at NAMM and said it was your favorite.

Just curious. What else did you hear there?

Oh and BTW.... A single manual would be very cool. I hope it happens at a price competitive with Crumar.

Hey LX,

I really need to start with a disclaimer that although I briefly gigged with a Hammond/Leslie back in the day, I am not an organ aficionado. That is, I've never been able to fully appreciate some of the differences in Hammond attributes I read about here (e.g., C/V), you guys amaze me! So my preference for the Legend was based on less sophisticated analysis.

Basically, I liked the way it screamed (e.g., in the mid-upper registers). It just seemed to have more "attitude." And the built-in Leslie sim actually made me believe that I could leave my Vent at home. My direct comparison at NAMM was the XK-5, which I also liked, but I just seemed to connect more with the Legend, on a visceral level. I really liked Elvio too, which strengthened the appeal of this product.

#2842563 - 03/18/17 03:50 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
JohnnyB3 Offline

Anybody know if Pat is using the separate pedals output on his organ to run a separate bass amp?

Not in the smaller NYC clubs. He just used a small stationary amp the last time I saw him at Bar Felice - in fact he was sitting on it using it as a bench! - not sure the make or model. Come to think of it, I think he was only playing LH bass that time, no pedals. I wonder if pedal to LH also comes out the separate pedals output. He's playing again at Bar Felice (83rd and 1st Ave) next Wed Mar 22 at 8PM. If I can make it there I'll find out.

Edited by JohnnyB3 (03/18/17 03:54 AM)
Edit Reason: add details

#2842565 - 03/18/17 04:29 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnnyB3]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

Thanks, Johnny B3, for the heads up, I'm there!

#2842582 - 03/18/17 06:50 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: LX88]
motomike1961 Offline

Loc: Port Chatlotte, Florida
Where did you find Pat's clips? Please advise. Mike

#2842591 - 03/18/17 08:18 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnnyB3]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: JohnnyB3
He just used a small stationary amp the last time I saw him at Bar Felice

I saw him using a Motion Sound KP-500SN.
'88 Kawai 52" Upright,'61 Hammond A100,'81 Rhodes 88 Mark II Stage,'71 Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet E7, Moog Voyager, Leslies 142/Studio 12, Yamaha CP70, DSI Prophet 08, Arp Solina, Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo

#2842733 - 03/18/17 07:18 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: davedoerfler]
JohnnyB3 Offline

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
He just used a small stationary amp the last time I saw him at Bar Felice

I saw him using a Motion Sound KP-500SN.

I saw him using a Motion Sound too - at the Wes Montgomery Guitar Competition. But I'm not sure which one it is - it looks like a Pro-145, but there are no knobs on the front. I kind of like it - it seems even smaller than the 145. You can see it at the beginning of this clip:

#2842783 - 03/18/17 10:47 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnnyB3]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I'm sure most of us interested in devouring all the Legend clips have seen this, but for those of you who haven't -

Cory.

#2842784 - 03/18/17 11:13 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
JohnnyB3 Offline

He seems to really enjoy playing it. And Elvio's expression - he's digging it!
Do you know the name of that tune?

#2842785 - 03/18/17 11:34 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnnyB3]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Tell Me Something Good. Written by Stevie Wonder and was a big 70's hit for Rufus with Chaka Khan.

#2842823 - 03/19/17 07:49 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnnyB3]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Looks like an XK5 Killer to me.

#2842956 - 03/19/17 11:40 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: HammondDave]
JohnnyB3 Offline

Originally Posted By: HammondDave
Looks like an XK5 Killer to me.

It will cut into XK-5 sales due to the lower price if it sounds and feels right without significant glitches. Some people have reported technical problems with the build or strange cipher notes coming out of the XK-5, although I have been lucky - the wood is completely matched and no weird extraneous noises. It both sounds and feels like a vintage A/B/C - as close as I can get to it since I just can't put a 400lb vintage model in my home. (But it is a retirement dream when I move out of the city someday.)

#2842958 - 03/19/17 11:48 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
JohnnyB3 Offline

Tell Me Something Good. Written by Stevie Wonder and was a big 70's hit for Rufus with Chaka Khan.

Thanks! The band, the clavinet, the groove, the analog 70s before the digital 80s. Chaka Khan - fantastic singer!

#2843150 - 03/20/17 02:35 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnDoe]
JohnDoe Offline

New clip from YT, with Pat Bianchi, Alberto Marsico and Sanah Kadoura:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMb7P1KSgTg

Both Legend and Live are to be shown in Stockholm 4/2/17!

#2843234 - 03/20/17 06:36 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnDoe]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

There's something unnatural looking about carrying a full sized console under your arm.

#2843298 - 03/20/17 10:19 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnDoe]
JohnnyB3 Offline

Pedalboard 18 is under the Legend. The pedalboard can get power from the console. Not sure if the Live can power pedalboard 25 without an adapter.
Looks like both organs are going through Viscount speakers.
The Leslie half-moon switch looks like a half-jupiter switch!
The Leslie sim sounds really good.
The drummer has superb timing and fresh ideas.

#2843299 - 03/20/17 10:23 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
JohnnyB3 Offline

Not sure he got too far - that ending scene sure faded out quick!

#2843305 - 03/20/17 10:32 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnnyB3]
jeffnkrn Offline

Something about girl drummers that keep the pocket so tight that I do enjoy! Wonderful nuanced playing.
Hee hee! Oops, getting off topic though.
I have the original Numa organ which I do like. I'm using a Kurzweil SP76 for lower board. It works. But I am longing for more drawbars and the improvements these Viscount organs bring in one unit.
Can't wait to try one out in the states. Any places or anyone in the Northeast Tristate getting one? Don't know if you can actually get your hands on it to try out before purchasing easily.

Edited by jeffnkrn (03/20/17 10:33 PM)

#2843316 - 03/20/17 11:41 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jeffnkrn]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Pat Bianchi is a bad mofo. I really enjoyed his funky left hand work.

#2843433 - 03/21/17 10:31 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
Mitch Towne Offline
Gold Member

Kraft Music is offering an online bundle for a pretty nice price. Most importantly, they have a 30 day return policy.

#2843872 - 03/23/17 02:54 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: Mitch Towne]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

Gig and gear report:
Pat Bianchi Trio at Felice 83
1593 1st Ave, NY, NY

Pat Bianchi- Key B Legend Organ, Bass Pedals, (2) Sonovox Amplifiers
Scott Kreitzer-Tenor
Jonathon Peretz-Canopus Drums, Cymbals

Pat Bianchi is the real, monstrous, righteous deal.
His left hand is an absolutely, completely seperate entity from his Right hand and feet. A living, breathing, swinging bass player lives there.
His linear playing and rhythmic sense is on another level of any "Jazz" Organist currently active and yes, that includes Joey D. (But excludes Dr. Lonnie, who is a law unto himself.)
His comping is breathing and swinging, like Freddie Green or Wes.
His timbral sensitivity is outstanding and his use of the swell pedal makes it truly deserving of its "expression" moniker.

His bandmates were excellent and they play together like a real, working band.

Gear:
He used the older Key-B Duo and it sounded AWESOME thru the two little Sonovox amps. Bass for days and I did NOT miss a Leslie, that's how good the rotary sim is, and he says the new one has been improved.

(I am seriously going to have to consider the Legend as well as the MAG/Diversi)

He was super cool and generous with his time and I'm going to email him in a couple of weeks (after he has recieved delivery of his Legend.

Thanks, Pat.

Edited by jimkost2002 (03/23/17 04:12 AM)

#2843887 - 03/23/17 04:48 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jimkost2002]
JohnnyB3 Offline

Agree!
More info about the amps:
The amps were Duo Vox. I believe they were made by Bell Duovox, an accordion manufacturer, in New Jersey during the 70's. Not sure the exact model but they looked like Super Tini-Titans: https://reverb.com/item/34799-duovox-super-tini-titan-85-ti-g-amplifier-1970-s-price-drop

There were two of them, stacked on top of each other and located right behind him.
They were connected to the KeyB Live in stereo, via the left and right outputs, no subwoofer.

I agree with you: amazing LH and pedal bass! It sounded like there was a Leslie in the room. I'm leaning towards getting a pair of speakers equivalent to those Duo Voxes. I think are about 85watts and weigh only about 23 lbs each. Pat said he got them for about 140 dollars each!

Do you recall any of the tunes they played? I remember hearing:

Nica's Dream
That's All
Without A Song

and I think:
Ceora
A Foggy Day (In London Town)
and maybe:
Always
St. Thomas

#2843931 - 03/23/17 07:02 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: JohnnyB3]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

Yes, JohnnyB3, those are correct, and they also did "All of You"!
and thanks for the amp info

Edited by jimkost2002 (03/23/17 10:55 AM)

#2845381 - 03/28/17 10:59 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jimkost2002]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Here's a Facebook clip I ran across tonight - a coupla NAMM guys I don't recognize having large fun and leaving no note unplayed.

The organ sounds real midrangey in this clip.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.haugen.31/videos/1259946550708853/

#2845532 - 03/29/17 11:34 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

And here comes the single manual.

#2845566 - 03/29/17 01:56 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
jeffinpghpa Offline

They have delayed this (again) - now from April to May... just another month (again).

#2845598 - 03/29/17 05:07 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: mate stubb]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And here comes the single manual.

now things are getting interesting...

#2845628 - 03/29/17 08:40 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: Delaware Dave]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

Is there any info on this single manual Key B besides just the photo?

I do like the the fact that all adjustment knobs are on top, not on the side.

That was one of the plus factors on the Numa 1... the bass knob was on the right side. What that did was act sort of like a set of drawbars on the lower manual setting. All I do on a console is adjust the first and third DB for the lower manual anyway.... but it was nice to have bass adjustment and still play bass with the left hand.

This thing looks tempting. I woulld love to have single/ dual manual options. So this might be the ticket.

#2854361 - 05/09/17 03:55 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: LX88]
elseif Offline

Kraft Music reports Viscount has confirmed that their warranty is 2 years parts, but labor is not covered.

There are a few authorized service centers in the US.

#2854391 - 05/09/17 07:58 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: LX88]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Is there any info on this single manual Key B besides just the photo?

I do like the the fact that all adjustment knobs are on top, not on the side.

That was one of the plus factors on the Numa 1... the bass knob was on the right side. What that did was act sort of like a set of drawbars on the lower manual setting. All I do on a console is adjust the first and third DB for the lower manual anyway.... but it was nice to have bass adjustment and still play bass with the left hand.

This thing looks tempting. I woulld love to have single/ dual manual options. So this might be the ticket.

Nothing here:
http://www.viscountinstruments.com/vintage.html
What's the source of the photo? Fan art? Photoshop alteration?

#2854405 - 05/09/17 09:34 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2854704 - 05/11/17 03:48 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: Moonglow]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

I heard Pat Bianchi with the new Legend Live last night at Felice 83 with Scott Kreitzer on Tenor and Jonathon Peretz ob Drums.

3 words:

Get
this
Organ!!!!

Pat used the Duovox amps in stereo and the Bass was INSANE! No shrill top octave, Beautiful, rich and full through the complete range. I picked up the side of the organ and its as light as the X3-2!!!! Leslie sim and C/V are spot on! Percussion has that ping!
There's a new king of the hill in the Clone Wars!
Needless to say, Pat, Scott and Jonathon KILLED IT!!!!

Edited by jimkost2002 (05/11/17 03:49 AM)

#2855363 - 05/15/17 10:29 AM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jimkost2002]
bill bosco Online   content

just got word the legends have arrived at viscount in new york

#2864687 - 07/05/17 06:04 PM Re: Viscount Legend Live demo [Re: jeffinpghpa]
Scottzo Offline

For what it's worth, I just switched from the Crumar Mojo to the Legend Live, and I am VERY happy I did. The Mojo had a lot of bugs and quirks, almost like it was a firmware always in beta. The Legend has been rock solid, AND it sounds better. In fact, I can't imagine an organ clone ever topping it - it's 100% there IMHO. And it has the full console layout, too - 4 sets of drawbars instead of 2. For me, that makes a HUGE difference in how I play it and the range of sonic choices at my disposal. Replacing that second drawbar set with fixed presets just isn't the same as having 2 live, dynamic drawbar sets to work with. So I would cast my vote 100% for the Legend Live is organ is your top priority. It functions well enough as a MIDI controller that you should be able to work with it (and the velocity sensitivity when controlling Rhodes or piano patches is better on the Legend than it was on the Mojo, too).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner