Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2839671 - 03/04/17 03:35 PM Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening?
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Maine
I have a Les Paul Standard and when I touch the screws on the rear access plates with my hands or torso. I hear a sharp popping sound from the amp. It get the same sound when I first touch any string but does not continues so long as I keep in touch with the strings. I suspect I have a grounding problem somewhere but I am not an expert when it comes to guitar electronics. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on? Thanks in advanced!

GP Island
#2839700 - 03/04/17 05:56 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: bbqbob]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
It is very likely a grounding issue; by prcess of elimination with only a cable between your guitar and amp, make sure that it isn't your cable or amp, and try another guitar, too, if you can. Then if it's none of those, open up the control-cavity cover and look for loose or broken wires and connections, and the wiring to the output-jack.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2839707 - 03/04/17 06:31 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
It is very likely a grounding issue; by prcess of elimination with only a cable between your guitar and amp, make sure that it isn't your cable or amp, and try another guitar, too, if you can. Then if it's none of those, open up the control-cavity cover and look for loose or broken wires and connections, and the wiring to the output-jack.

Yeah, I already tried it with different cables and amps. I also used the same amps and cables with my Stratocaster with no issues. I get the feeling it's not the output jack because I tried wiggling and turning the cable and experienced no problems. It's very obvious when my body or hands run up against the screws on the back of the cavity covers. I touch other metal screws on the front of the guitar with no pops. I just experience it with them and the strings. The problem might be just inside one of the cavities hopefully. Thanks for the input!

#2839716 - 03/04/17 07:53 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: bbqbob]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I'm still going to suspect that output jack area...I would open it up and have a look-see for a wire crossed, loose jack, or a ground problem. Check the pots and switches for a loose wire or connection problem too. Good luck with it and don't hesitate to have a tech look at it... cool

#2839728 - 03/04/17 09:32 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
I'm still going to suspect that output jack area...I would open it up and have a look-see for a wire crossed, loose jack, or a ground problem. Check the pots and switches for a loose wire or connection problem too. Good luck with it and don't hesitate to have a tech look at it... cool

Thanks! I think this might be a job for a tech with good bench skills. Even if I find the problem myself, I probably should not be soldering anything. I just don't do enough to be confident I wouldn't make a mess of it. It's still under warranty and Gibson should have to pony up for this.

#2839733 - 03/04/17 09:43 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: bbqbob]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

It is odd that touching the screws for the cavity cover plate gives you that result- being as they are usually, as far as I know, threaded directly into the wood, through holes in the plastic cover, and usually not connected to any wiring or electronic components. Is there metal foil lining the cavity and its cover? confused

#2839736 - 03/04/17 10:03 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

It is odd that touching the screws for the cavity cover plate gives you that result- being as they are usually, as far as I know, threaded directly into the wood, through holes in the plastic cover, and usually not connected to any wiring or electronic components. Is there metal foil lining the cavity and its cover? confused

That is exactly what I thought when I encountered the problem. It would seem that the screws should be isolated from the electronics. If I run my finger from one screw to the other the plastic cover it will pop, pop, pop, pop as I touch each one. It's even more odd to me that it does it on BOTH of the covers on the back of the LP. After I do this and then reach around and touch a string, I get another loud pop as I touch the string. If I continue to play I don't hear the noise from the strings but as I move the back of the LP around on my torso, I hear a crackling sound. I probably will take a look see to tomorrow.
Like I said, this is a new LP and still under warranty. Pretty damn frustrating considering this is a Les Paul Standard I have lusted after for a long time and cost me a pretty penny!

#2839748 - 03/05/17 04:17 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: bbqbob]
Jr. Deluxe Offline
Has been warned....
Platinum Member

Loc: On top of the world ma, I fina...
Its likely RF. Your body is absorbing the stray radio frequencies when you touch the metal parts. That is fairly normal but in your case it sounds like an extreme example. It could also be static electricity. Is the guitar new? Or new pickguard? You said it is a gibson. I remember people complaining about static popping when they ran their hand down les paul necks around the late 90s. I used to get it with new strat pickguards. I lived in an area with high amounts of radio interferance with radio coming through my amps. Get a 5 dollar outlet ground checker. If your house wiring is a hot neutral reverse you could get a serious shock playing your guitar and touching some other appliance. If you touched metal on your guitar and the noise DIDNT go away your guitar has a ground problem. Your control cavity might be shielded with metal tape which is also touching the screws . Sorry. These thought are out of sequence but pertinent.

#2839768 - 03/05/17 07:48 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Jr. Deluxe]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Since it's under warranty, your local GC will look at it and repair it for free! You might want to take your guitar and amp to a friends house to see if you can duplicate the problem at a different location before taking it in. I have a feeling it's in the guitar and not the house as your other guitar(s) do not have the same problem and work fine. I have seen cavities sprayed with lead paint for grounding and maybe some of that grounding paint (if sprayed) is touching the plate cover screws? Anyway, GC techs can find the problem and it won't cost you anything. The worst case scenario is you get a new guitar replacement! Good luck! cool

ps. if you try and do the repair, you might void the warranty if it's not a simple fix...

Edited by Larryz (03/05/17 07:51 AM)

#2839769 - 03/05/17 07:51 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Jr. Deluxe]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
For the strings, I would suspect the ground wire which connects the bridge to ground is disconnected. I don't know how it's done on a Les Paul, but on an archtop it's a tiny bare wire run out of the body underneath the tailpiece anchor plate. Occasionally it gets pushed inside the body when removing/replacing the tailpiece. As to why your control cover screws are popping, that's a big mystery to me.

#2839772 - 03/05/17 08:06 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Scott Fraser]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

I will pick up a ground checker so I can eliminate my outlets as a potential problem. I have done additional research and is seems like this more of a common problem than I first thought.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37089

#2839783 - 03/05/17 09:07 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Jr. Deluxe]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

First and foremost- since this guitar is still under warranty, DO NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY, and LET THE DEALER SORT IT OUGHT AND MAKE IT RIGHT.

Originally Posted By: Baldwin Funster
It could also be static electricity. Is the guitar new? Or new pickguard? You said it is a gibson. I remember people complaining about static popping when they ran their hand down les paul necks around the late 90s.

Yeah; a couple of Les Pauls of mine used to do that, making a sort of low-volume'zipping', static-y sound come through as I moved my hand up and down the back of the neck, etc. It seems to have faded away over time; I don't thing it does that anymore.

Get a 5 dollar outlet ground checker. If your house wiring is a hot neutral reverse you could get a serious shock playing your guitar and touching some other appliance.

YES.

If you touched metal on your guitar and the noise DIDNT go away your guitar has a ground problem.

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
For the strings, I would suspect the ground wire which connects the bridge to ground is disconnected.

Mhmn~Hmn; I'm with you guys...

I don't know how it's done on a Les Paul, but on an archtop it's a tiny bare wire run out of the body underneath the tailpiece anchor plate. Occasionally it gets pushed inside the body when removing/replacing the tailpiece.

It's similarly done on a Les Paul; IIRC, a small hole is drilled from the cavity of the bridge-pickup to the hole for the pressed-in tailpiece bushing, where a ground-wire makes contact with the bushing. If it is broken or loose, the stings will not be grounded.

Now, what you described in your initial post makes me think that this guitar's tailpiece/string-ground is in place, and that the problem lies elsewhere in the wiring.

As to why your control cover screws are popping, that's a big mystery to me.

Your control cavity might be shielded with metal tape which is also touching the screws.

My thoughts exactly. IF there is some kind of shielding that contacts those screws.

#2839798 - 03/05/17 10:26 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YZdUGWszKU <---here's some info on spray and tape shielding that I was talking about which may be informative. I have seen the paint method done on Strats but do not know if the concept is used on LP's. But taking it in and having it looked at under the warranty is still my best suggestion as it may just be a loose ground wire... cool

Ps. so after watching the YT vid, I can see that copper tape works better than conductive paint (which is applied with a brush in the video with no chance of overspray probably sprayed at the factories). However at 13:10 you will see that the tape is over the cover plate screw holes and contact is therefor made with the screws and they are not just screws going into wood. I believe that the main thing with both methods would be to create a shield and these methods are not always used on most guitars. The ground wiring is probably the culprit, but it would be nice to know what the OP sees under those cover plates? Was there paint or copper tape used? If so, it would account for the popping on the cover plate screws. If not, I think it's back to a ground...just my guess. cool

Edited by Larryz (03/05/17 10:55 AM)
Edit Reason: ps.

#2839848 - 03/05/17 02:47 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

You folks are great and always have been a big help ever since I have been a member here. Thanks to all of you.
First of all I have no intention of touching ANTHIING on my new Les Paul. I don't even want to take out a screwdriver and see what's inside, I considered it but do not want to open that can of worms insofar as the warranty goes. I did go buy an outlet tester($6.99)and ran around my house and everything is in order when it comes to my house wiring. I will wait until I get in contact with the retailer to see what I should do. My fingers are crossed because I really like this guitar!
It does seem like this static electricity thing happens with Les Pauls, especially when new. I even read somewhere else that nitrocellulose finish could contribute to this problem. I guess Gibson uses an electric charge when they coat apply the finish. The effect goes away over time and playing the guitar, as Caev mentioned.

#2839902 - 03/05/17 08:07 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
Have personal experience with this. Popping and snapping pain in the ass, almost sold the guitar, drove me nuts. It was static rather than grounding. Bought an Alpine White (real finish) Les Paul Studio in 2012 with coil-splitting and hot pickups...same problem for about 2 years then it went away. Didn't matter if I was touching the strings or not - happened anyways.

My personal opinion is that it's something to do with the glossy finish holding a static charge, sounds ridiculous of course. I actually waxed it with auto polish, lined the back panel-cover with lead lined material from film photography (for the hell of it), tried rubbing it down with a clothes dryer anti-static sheet which partially worked for a while, stuck a dryer sheet into the control cavity, sometimes better, sometimes not. Was worse in some rehearsal studios, worse when standing on a rug, sometimes better when I was wearing rubber shoes/Reebok or whatever and sometimes it happened regardless on cement floors. Did rehearsals with my shirt off at times just in case it was the material. Opened it up a few times, verified solder joints, wiring etc, waste of time - no insult intended to other posters here.

This is all over uTube with a bunch of fixes that do nothing. Also that plush-lined Gibson hard case stupid as this may sound IMO contributed to the problem. I left the guitar in my cold basement (cement floor) on a stand for a few months, kept it out of the case and the problem seemed to go away. Defies logic - was definitely not a grounding problem. I think it was a buildup of static electricity mainly from the case plush lining transferring to the body paint or maybe just the glossy finish as posted above.

Be patient and you will be rewarded...betcha you are keeping it in a plush-lined case...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2839924 - 03/06/17 03:34 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Bartholomew]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Update: Over the weekend I have played the Les Paul and the electrical pops and crackles happen up and down the neck when I run my hand up and down it. I also get it when I rub the back and sides of the body also. Now I think the pops I got from the screws was static electricity I had built up inside me from playing the guitar. Yes Bartholomew, I am keeping it in the case!

#2839931 - 03/06/17 04:42 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: bbqbob]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: bbqbob
Update: Over the weekend I have played the Les Paul and the electrical pops and crackles happen up and down the neck when I run my hand up and down it. I also get it when I rub the back and sides of the body also. Now I think the pops I got from the screws was static electricity I had built up inside me from playing the guitar. Yes Bartholomew, I am keeping it in the case!

Hmmn; maybe you've just got an extreme case of conditions for static build-up there... ? I wonder if an ESD ("Electro Static Discharge") wrist-band or ankle strap, etc. might help? Search up ESD wrist band...

#2839934 - 03/06/17 05:11 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Hmmn; maybe you've just got an extreme case of conditions for static build-up there... ? I wonder if an ESD ("Electro Static Discharge") wrist-band or ankle strap, etc. might help? Search up ESD wrist band...

Hmmn, I might just try that with an ESD device to see if that would be a temporary fix. I'm still waiting to talk to the people I bought it from before I do too much. Meanwhile I play on and hopefully I can get a fix.

#2839949 - 03/06/17 06:27 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: bbqbob]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I used to get this same noise from a MIJ Strat; if I rubbed my fingers across the front of the pickguard, I'd hear hissing and crackling. Never quite figured it out . . .

One common method of discharging static electricity is to touch something metal; it's often recommended in instructions for changing chips & IC's in gear, that you first touch something metal, to discharge static electricity before you touch and mount the IC. Good luck with this . . .

http://www.novparolo.com

#2839963 - 03/06/17 07:38 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Poor Bartholomew has the guitar from hell that only Aliens from Mars can fix! Hope he doesn't have to sand that finish off! If you have to play with no shirt on and wear rubber flip flops you can always throw on some beads and play in a reggae or surf band bbQbob LOL! Just kidding! He did pull her apart and check grounds and connections which is a good place to start IMHO. My ES 175 has a problem with the jack coming loose after weeks or months of playing. I know as soon as the jack comes loose as I hear the buzz start coming through the amp. I bought a special tool and wah-lah, I can fix the noise in about 1 minute. Next time it comes loose I'm going to locktite that sucker! The input jack is a great place to start looking. Another place is the grounding on the volume pot(s). A bad solder joint at those locations can be the culprit. A broken or unsoldered ground wire can be a simple fix too...

It may be that Bart is on target and the problem with the guitar has no grounding or problems that can be corrected by shielding (although you can hear the shielding work in the video I posted above). Before taking it to the tech, try your guitar at a different location. If they can't duplicate the problem at the shop they can't cover the fix under warranty. Also, the amp and guitar combo can be the cause. Your Strat didn't have a problem with the same set up. So try your LP in a different amp (and location) and see if it is still has the problem. Radio frequency noise invasion is the reason for shielding. Cheap guitar chords with uncovered pickups hooked to a tube amp in the winter time can cause radio wave interference (I prefer Beldon cables in my CB days as they have great shielding and protect from static electricity, grounding and radio frequency, skip atmosphere condition, etc., interference). I have had this problem come up on a stage one night when the local radio station started coming in on my Fender Twin while we were taking a break. I forgot to put my amp on standby. We all got a kick out of listening to Wolfman Jack!

+1 on Caevan's wrist band suggestion and Winston's suggestion on touching metal to discharge static electricity. It's a good idea to touch the gas pump with your key before pumping gas at the station after sliding out of your car seat. And, never get back in your car to get out of the rain and get back out to put the pump away...static electricity has caused major fires at gas stations.

One good think BBQ, you have a lifetime warranty as long as you own your new baby so you'll have plenty of time to find the culprit! If you do play in a surf band, use the Strat! You just can't get that surf sound with an LP LOL! again, just kidding. Good luck with it! cool

Edited by Larryz (03/06/17 07:49 AM)
Edit Reason: sp.

#2839967 - 03/06/17 07:50 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Poor Bartholomew has the guitar from hell that only Aliens from Mars can fix! Hope he doesn't have to sand that finish off! If you have to play with no shirt on and wear rubber flip flops you can always throw on some beads and play in a reggae or surf band bbQbob LOL! Just kidding! He did pull her apart and check grounds and connections which is a good place to start IMHO. My ES 175 has a problem with the jack coming loose after weeks or months of playing. I know as soon as the jack comes loose as I hear the buzz start coming through the amp. I bought a special tool and wah-lah, I can fix the noise in about 1 minute. Next time it comes loose I'm going to locktite that sucker! The output jack is a great place to start looking. Another place is the grounding on the volume pot(s). A bad solder joint at those locations can be the culprit. A broken or unsoldered ground wire can be a simple fix too...

It may be that Bart is on target and the problem with the guitar has no grounding or problems that can be corrected by shielding (although you can hear the shielding work in the video I posted above). Before taking it to the tech, try your guitar at a different location. If they can't duplicate the problem at the shop they can't cover the fix under warranty. Also, the amp and guitar combo can be the cause. Your Strat didn't have a problem with the same set up. So try your LP in a different amp (and location) and see if it is still has the problem. Radio frequency noise invasion is the reason for shielding. Cheap guitar chords with uncovered pickups hooked to a tube amp in the winter time can cause radio wave interference (I prefer Beldon cables in my CB days as they have great shielding and protect from static electricity, grounding and radio frequency, skip atmosphere conditions, etc., interference). I have had this problem come up on a stage one night when a radio station started coming in on my Fender Twin hooked to my LP while we were taking a break. I forgot to put my amp on standby. We all got a kick out of listening to Wolfman Jack!

+1 on Caevan's wrist band suggestion and Winston's suggestion on touching metal to discharge static electricity. It's a good idea to touch the gas pump with your key before pumping gas at the station after sliding out of your car seat. And, never get back in your car to get out of the rain and get back out to put the pump handle away...static electricity has caused major fires at gas stations. Touching a key to the pump away from the nozzle will prevent a spark from flying.

One good think BBQ, you have a lifetime warranty as long as you own your new baby so you'll have plenty of time to find the culprit! If you do play in a surf band, use the Strat! You just can't get that surf sound with an LP LOL! again, just kidding. Good luck with it! cool

Edited by Larryz (03/06/17 07:58 AM)

#2840365 - 03/08/17 07:10 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

A tech guy where I bought the guitar told me that he is almost 100% sure that it is static electricity because of the nitro finish and dry environment. He told me that a wipe down with a dryer sheet would most likely fix it. He said he had an SG that had the same problem and that was the solution. He also said that the problem would most likely go away in a few months when the humidity rises.

#2840371 - 03/08/17 07:33 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: bbqbob]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

There is a lot of static electricity in the air during the winter months. Let us know if the dryer sheets help? cool

#2840384 - 03/08/17 08:55 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
The dryer sheets are a temporary fix and work sometimes.

Mine is OK now - took approx 2 years.

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2840428 - 03/08/17 01:15 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Bartholomew]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Wow 2 years! Now that's what I call patience! I wonder if you guys up north have more problems with the finish and humidity? How about some real fine steel wool buffing up the glossy finish just a little bit...or would that screw up the looks of the finish? cool

Edited by Larryz (03/08/17 01:16 PM)

#2840491 - 03/08/17 07:07 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Wow 2 years! Now that's what I call patience! I wonder if you guys up north have more problems with the finish and humidity? How about some real fine steel wool buffing up the glossy finish just a little bit...or would that screw up the looks of the finish? cool

I sure hope not!

#2840534 - 03/09/17 06:03 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: bbqbob]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

I sure hope not!

I don't think Maine would be noticeably worse for this than Up-State New York.

The steel-wool roughing 'n' scuffing has been done on the back of the neck on Les Pauls and other glossy-finished axes by players who don't care for the sometimes 'sticky', 'traction' like feel of some guitar-necks. That might not be a bad thing, but I don't know if it would reduce or eliminate this 'static electricity' issue, either.

I myself have strongly considered removing the finish on the back of my Les Paul's neck, after playing an old '60s or '70s Custom that belonged to one gentleman that I met one night when both of our bands played a benefit-gig. The finish had been worn entirely off of the back of the neck by years of playing- and it felt marvelous!

#2840542 - 03/09/17 07:10 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCmd2IUfus <---found this on YouTube...the text at the end talks about Gibson's answer to the problem which contains much of the same stuff we have been talking about. Looks like this problem has been around for a long time. I bought a Deluxe LP back in the early 70's and never experienced this problem. It was a tobacco sunburst with mini humbuckers. I wonder if Gibson changed the finishes over time? One of the other guys put wet rags in plastic sandwich bags in his case and said it reduced the noise after a week or two. This guy seems to think the polish worked (maybe worth a try). Taking off the finish is pretty drastic but it may be the only solution. I would try the polish and the humidifier in the case 1st. cool

#2840545 - 03/09/17 07:14 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

I was talking to a guitar playing friend last night. He owns a gibson ES-330 with the nitro finish and he said he had the same problem. He used the dryer sheets and they helped but every once in awhile the problem rears its ugly head.

#2840580 - 03/09/17 10:06 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCmd2IUfus <---found this on YouTube...the text at the end talks about Gibson's answer to the problem which contains much of the same stuff we have been talking about. Looks like this problem has been around for a long time. . . . One of the other guys put wet rags in plastic sandwich bags in his case and said it reduced the noise after a week or two.

Wet rags in plastic bags are just a cheap way to humidify the Guitar & case, which might reduce the static charge build-up in the plush lining?

Reaching a bit, I can see where the water evaporating in the case might leave a minute mineral/chemical residue, over time, but can't see that it would change the chemical composition of the finish within just a couple of weeks?

#2840602 - 03/09/17 11:33 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

You're probably right Winston, It's probably just a homemade humidifier concept. Planet Waves and others make commercial humidity pack and sponge wetter's to go in guitar cases. Humidity does seem to play a role, so it's worth a try...I think the polish might be worth a try as well. Can't hurt to try some quickie ideas for little or no cost. I'm sure there is a ton of ideas like these on YouTube. It may depend on where you live and the time of year as to whether or not they at least seem to help. cool

ps. I wonder why Gibson would spray their guitars with a finish that results in so many complaints? and, if other companies have these same problems. I haven't heard any such complaints on Fender guitars yet... cool

Edited by Larryz (03/09/17 11:41 AM)

#2840747 - 03/10/17 07:50 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

ps. I wonder why Gibson would spray their guitars with a finish that results in so many complaints? and, if other companies have these same problems. I haven't heard any such complaints on Fender guitars yet... cool

I definitely ran into this, or something like it, with one MIJ Strat that I had. Running my fingers across the pickguard, I heard a weird 'fizzy' crackling sound. It didn't rise to the level of popping, but it was noticeable when I was playing solo; even weirder running through effects. The Guitar was already a few years old when I got it, and had shielding inside the pickguard, so IDK what the issue was? No grounding problems, never got a shock plugging in, and never figured out what the cause was. It wasn't a function of the finish, because it only happened when I touched the pickguard.

#2840752 - 03/10/17 08:14 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Winston, My buddy bought a new cheaper Squire Strat I think it was MIK. Great little guitar for the price but when he had me try it I found a short in the 5way that would not be found unless you wiggled it a certain way. He took it to the tech we both use and he swapped out the switch and now it works great. When I bought my Taylor T3b the 3way would short intermittently. My Taylor tech could not duplicate the problem at the shop, so he couldn't change the switch under warranty. I told him to change it and charge me as I know it's bad. I contacted Taylor and they covered the cost of the switch and I just paid the labor of $20bucks. Sometimes even the techs can not solve or find the problem or duplicate the problem on command. The T3B works just fine now with the new switch. So, long story short [pun intended] if you have a switch problem you may not find a loose ground and when you touch the pickguard on a Fender 5way, it could be the switch making it buzz...or a pot cold solder joint or a loose jack or a...? LOL! The Gibson finish is a new one on me though... cool

Edited by Larryz (03/10/17 08:16 AM)

#2841019 - 03/11/17 10:40 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

You're probably right Winston, It's probably just a homemade humidifier concept. Planet Waves and others make commercial humidity pack and sponge wetter's to go in guitar cases. Humidity does seem to play a role, so it's worth a try...I think the polish might be worth a try as well. Can't hurt to try some quickie ideas for little or no cost. I'm sure there is a ton of ideas like these on YouTube. It may depend on where you live and the time of year as to whether or not they at least seem to help. cool

Larry, I have also gone the humidifying route and have place a moist sponge in the case with the Les Paul. I'll see if that makes any difference in a few days or so. I did get some unscented dryer sheets and gently rubbed down the surface of the guitar. It seemed to help but did not get rid of it entirely.
Here is the response from the guitar tech:
This is Adam and I'm writing about your inquiry on the Les Paul nitro static.
This is absolutely what's going on! I've found the best way is to wipe down the entirety of the guitar with a fresh dryer sheet. That typically helps kill it pretty quickly. I've also found that taking an additional fresh dryer sheet and inserting it into the control cavity helps prevent that for a longer period of time. Doing both usually keeps this at bay for about 30 days, then you'll want to re-apply.
Fortunately you'll really only have to worry about this for a few months until the weather gets a bit more humid; and that thwarts static's ability to travel so easily. I had an SG that did the same thing a few years back (that year we had the really bad winter '14 I believe). I had to re-apply every three weeks or so, but it calmed down around mid-april.
Please let me know if you have any questions for me, Robert!
Adam

Edited by bbqbob (03/11/17 10:41 AM)

#2841035 - 03/11/17 12:09 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: bbqbob]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Thanks for the update BBQBob...keep us posted as this is interesting stuff! thu

#2842938 - 03/19/17 08:22 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

OK, here is an update:
As mentioned in my last post I have tried the humidifying solution. I placed 2 slightly damp sponges in the case, one up near the headstock in a soap dish and wrapped in a soft cloth. The other smaller sponge was place near the body in a small plastic case and wrapped in a soft cloth. I didn't see any change after a few days but I didn't have a chance to play my LP for the past 4 days and tonight I took it out and played it. The good news is the static popping is almost gone. I couldn't get it to happen at all when I ran my hands across the back of the neck or over the plate cover screws on the back of the body. I did get just a little as I first ran my hand up the front of the neck. I am cautiously optimistic that the humidifying seems to help but I am still experimenting.
I am cautious because I did rub it down with dryer sheets several days ago and don't know if there's a chance part of it is leftover residual effect from that. I also wasn't able to play it real loud either so that will be the next test.

#2842942 - 03/19/17 08:45 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: bbqbob]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

OK, here is an update:
As mentioned in my last post I have tried the humidifying solution. I placed 2 slightly damp sponges in the case, one up near the headstock in a soap dish and wrapped in a soft cloth. The other smaller sponge was place near the body in a small plastic case and wrapped in a soft cloth. I didn't see any change after a few days but I didn't have a chance to play my LP for the past 4 days and tonight I took it out and played it. The good news is the static popping is almost gone. I couldn't get it to happen at all when I ran my hands across the back of the neck or over the plate cover screws on the back of the body. I did get just a little as I first ran my hand up the front of the neck. I am cautiously optimistic that the humidifying seems to help but I am still experimenting.
I am cautious because I did rub it down with dryer sheets several days ago and don't know if there's a chance part of it is leftover residual effect from that. I also wasn't able to play it real loud either so that will be the next test.

Glad to hear it. cool

#2842949 - 03/19/17 10:28 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

That's great news BBQ! If the dryer sheets and the inside the case sponges work in combo, that's still a good thing! thu

#2870939 - 08/04/17 03:15 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Another update. It is the middle of summer up here with much higher humidity (currently in the mid 60s) than when I bought the Les Paul. The static pops are just about non existent. Without the use of dryer sheets or humidifiers, I get absolutely nothing when I run my hands up and down the neck, strings and other parts of the body surface. I sometimes hear faint pops (but not every time I play it) when I touch the screws on the rear access plates.
Life is good!

#2871063 - 08/05/17 07:57 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Hey, I bought my LP Classic last month and guess what? It had an output jack problem making a little noise and the cord just fell out of the jack on it's own when I plugged it in LOL! I pulled the jack out and bent the plate so that the end tip would clear the plate correctly and stay plugged in. No more popping noises and the guitar works very well and is quiet now. I'm lucky, as I don't need the problems with the finish making noise! I'm glad you got her working and it's probably just a humidity issue. Thanks for the update! thu

#2921352 - 04/13/18 11:03 PM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Another update (and probably last) on the static electricity problem...It has been a year since my purchase and this winter the problem seems to have totally gone away! I guess the fresh nitrocellulose finish just had to age properly. Another argument in favor of vintage guitars I guess.

#2921409 - 04/14/18 08:58 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: bbqbob]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Thanks for the update! I detected a little static on my LP when rubbing my hand up and down the neck and thought of your Post BBQ! It's hard to believe it was a year ago already! The static was very slight but seems to have disappeared too! thu

#2921422 - 04/14/18 10:53 AM Re: Les Paul electrical popping sound. What's happening? [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Thanks for the update! I detected a little static on my LP when rubbing my hand up and down the neck and thought of your Post BBQ! It's hard to believe it was a year ago already! The static was very slight but seems to have disappeared too! thu

That's great Larry! Things do work out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose