Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland VR09 sounds not in Integra, in DS? i.e. BluesHarp

The VR-09 has a really nice sounding patch "BluesHarp" - a harmonica reminiscent of songs like "Isn't She Lovely", "That's Why They Call It The Blues", "And When I Die"... Is this patch anywhere other than the VR-09? Is it in the DS? I couldn't find it in the Integra7. You can hear it at

It also has a cool behavior thing where you can strike hard and it will slide up to the note. Nice for that extra expressivity when you can't spare another hand.

The VR-09 also has a harpsichord sound I like, HarpsiDouble, which likewise I was surprised to not-find on the Integra7.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Fantom X has a similar velocity setting on one of its Harmonicas, but the stock amp sim is not as convincing as the VR09, IMHO. I'm sure one could probably do some effects editing in the Fantom to get it very close. I am also surprised that this is not found in the Integra7.

I'm terrible at clav and harpsichord, so haven't paid much attention to those.

These are stock harmonica sounds in the FA series:

247 Harmonica Harmonica

248 Harmo Blues Harmonica

249 BluesHarp Harmonica

250 Hillbillys Harmonica

I've never used any of them so I can't attest to their quality.

My S70XS had one that bent up with velocity.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

These are stock harmonica sounds in the FA series:

247 Harmonica Harmonica

248 Harmo Blues Harmonica

249 BluesHarp Harmonica

250 Hillbillys Harmonica

I've never used any of them so I can't attest to their quality.

Thanks. But all the FA sounds are in the Integra, and I just double-checked those sounds in the Integra in case I'd missed it, and nope, none of them have quite the same timbre as the one in the VR, and none have the velocity bend. Surprising, not just that I can't find these things in the Integra, but that the VR patch sounds better than anything in the Integra!

I did find a different but similarly good harmonica sound in the Kronos, though. Haven't a clue how to program a velocity bend into it, but I'm sure it must be able to do it. Maybe time to learn.

Interesting. The S70XS has (IIRC) the same sound set as the Motif XS (plus additional piano); the MOXF has the same sounds as the Motif XS (plus many more)... and I just checked my MOXF and could not find a harmonica with a velocity bend. Hmm!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

and I thought something (else) was wrong with me. I had VR-09 for a few months before swapping it out for an FA-06. I absolutely loved the harmonica sound on the VR-09. It absolutely nailed the harmonica solo in Long Train Runnin. Band mates always complimented me on it. Until the FA came along and no matter what harmonica sound I use it sounds like crap. I've tried screwing around with PCM parameters but can't get anywhere close to the harmonica on the VR-09.

Would pay good money to replicate on the FA-06. Wondering if the VR harmonica was a supernatural patch not included in the FA?

On the Integra-7

SN-A PRST 0163 Harmonica

SN-A PRST 0164 Southern

SN-A PRST 0165 Blues Reed

PCMS PRST 0247 Harmonica

PCMS PRST 0248 Harmo Blues

PCMS PRST 0249 BluesHarp

PCMS PRST 0250 Hillbillys

PCMS PRST 0829 Harmonica XV

On the Kronos, go to OSC ==> OSC1 Pitch ==> Pitch (AMS: Velocity; Intensity )

Busch.

Interesting. The S70XS has (IIRC) the same sound set as the Motif XS (plus additional piano); the MOXF has the same sounds as the Motif XS (plus many more)... and I just checked my MOXF and could not find a harmonica with a velocity bend. Hmm!

I think on S90XS it's called "Campfire" or something. It has aftertouch bend programmed, not velocity. That's why you couldn't find it in MOXF.

On the Integra-7

SN-A PRST 0163 Harmonica

SN-A PRST 0164 Southern

SN-A PRST 0165 Blues Reed

PCMS PRST 0247 Harmonica

PCMS PRST 0248 Harmo Blues

PCMS PRST 0249 BluesHarp

PCMS PRST 0250 Hillbillys

PCMS PRST 0829 Harmonica XV

Yup, I tried all those, none of them are as the same as (or IMO as good as) the harmonica in the VR-09.

On the Kronos, go to OSC ==> OSC1 Pitch ==> Pitch (AMS: Velocity; Intensity )

Thanks, but I tried it and it is not what I'm looking for. What that does is, if you hit a key hard, it plays a different pitch (determined by the Intensity). What the VR-09 harmonica does is, if you hit a key hard, say a D, you'll still get the D you aimed for, except instead of playing it straight, it will do a little glide up to the D. I can pretty much duplicate the effect on the Kronos if, before striking the key, I bring the joystick to the left, then strike the key and release the joystick. Maybe that helps describe what I'm trying to get it to do. It feels more natural to me doing it with velocity than the stick, but also, it doesn't take another hand!

BTW, the Kronos harmonica sound I'm using is PRG I-D 817 Harmonica Dyna-Wah. I don't like it as much as the Roland sound overall, but the wah is a nice touch.

I think on S90XS it's called "Campfire" or something. It has aftertouch bend programmed, not velocity. That's why you couldn't find it in MOXF.

Ah, that explains it! Thanks!

and I thought something (else) was wrong with me. I had VR-09 for a few months before swapping it out for an FA-06. I absolutely loved the harmonica sound on the VR-09.

Would pay good money to replicate on the FA-06. Wondering if the VR harmonica was a supernatural patch not included in the FA?

At least based on Roland's info, the VR-09 has no SN tech except for the organ. And the sound appears to not be in the Integra either, which not only has the largest set of SN sounds, but also has the XV-5080 sounds, all the SRX sounds, and another extensive set of updated PCM sounds. I thought I had the entire set of Roland rompler sounds from the last 20 years or so in the Integra, but apparently not! I'm thinking I might try to sample it into my Kronos.

Interesting feature with the velocity sensitivity. Can't you toggle portamento with velocity on the Kronos to get this?

I don't think so, because the bend is always from nearby (within a whole step), whereas with portamento, you could be bending from a point much further away, depending on the last note you played.

Interesting feature with the velocity sensitivity. Can't you toggle portamento with velocity on the Kronos to get this?

I don't think so, because the bend is always from nearby (within a whole step), whereas with portamento, you could be bending from a point much further away, depending on the last note you played.

ah ok. maybe there are two sample layers. One with the bend and one without...? Otherwise I also do not know how to get this.

Rudy

ah ok. maybe there are two sample layers. One with the bend and one without...? Otherwise I also do not know how to get this.

Yeah, that might be the easiest way for me to get the effect... sample the VR09 into the Kronos, where its highest velocity layer is, well, the patch struck with high velocity (which will trigger the bend sound). I assume the VR itself is creating the effect on the fly "synthetically" rather than using a separate sample, and there may well be a way to duplicate that effect on the Kronos, but this should work, and it would probably take me less time to sample the VR than to figure out how to do it on the Korg. ;-)

• 2 years later...

Answering the question I posed in the OP... YES, this sound is in the Juno DS.

I think it is a Fantom-derived sound, which is an improved soundset compared to the XV-5080 soundset which is the basis of the non-Supernatural acoustic instrument sounds of the Integra and FA. (The Integra also has an extra set of "HQ PCM" sounds you can load, I don't know where those are derived from, but the Fantom sounds I was looking for weren't there either.)

and I thought something (else) was wrong with me. I had VR-09 for a few months before swapping it out for an FA-06. I absolutely loved the harmonica sound on the VR-09. It absolutely nailed the harmonica solo in Long Train Runnin. Band mates always complimented me on it. Until the FA came along and no matter what harmonica sound I use it sounds like crap. I've tried screwing around with PCM parameters but can't get anywhere close to the harmonica on the VR-09.

Yes I also use it on that tune. Really convincing blues harp and fun to play.