Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feedback appreciation

I love guitar feedback, whether controlled or not. I've spent years developing my ability to "play" it, and I love hearing it on record. Of course, it goes without saying that I was a big Type O Negative fan (their guitar player's guitar always screamed before he started playing his part). I will post some Type O later, but I'll start the topic off with this:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nFaF-WGqlU

ff to the 1:20 mark. That brief feedback squall foreshadows the asskicking about to come.

Being an old Hendrix fan I love tastefully done feedback. The fun part is trying to keep it under control before it becomes a chaotic wall of noise! Other great feedback players- Jeff Beck, Ted Nugent, David Gilmour, Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Healey, Alex Lifeson, Frank Marino and Robin Trower.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Of course DELTA, you can't have ANY discussion about guitar feedback without mentioning Jimi. But he went beyond that.

Those little "sea gull" sounds he put on some tunes was done by pushing the earpiece of his headphones up against the studio mic.

That "Seattle Sage" was one clever boy! ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I love guitar feedback, whether controlled or not. I've spent years developing my ability to "play" it, and I love hearing it on record. Of course, it goes without saying that I was a big Type O Negative fan (their guitar player's guitar always screamed before he started playing his part). I will post some Type O later, but I'll start the topic off with this:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nFaF-WGqlU

ff to the 1:20 mark. That brief feedback squall foreshadows the asskicking about to come.

I :love:LOVE :love: FEEDBACK... !!

I love the harmonic-overtones and animation that it can provide.

I love my Sustainiac Model C harmonic-feedback generator; I love how it vibrates the guitar in my hands and adds so much controllable nuance and bombast alike.

It helps- regardless of the source of generating said harmonic/acoustic feedback-

to have good muting and damping chops with both hands. Playing without a pick further facilitates that.

I think that I would- WILL- really like this new DigiTech FreqOut pedal that's coming out (thanks, Baldwin Funster!)...

________ [video:youtube]

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I am a big fan of feedback, undertones, and overtones. I can get that stuff out of my amps at relatively low volume with my tube distortion pedals, and from my now gone Pod XT which gave wonderful feedbacks etc. even at whisper volumes.

However I remember the days I had my hundred watt Marshall Plexi. I got the most amazing feedback, undertones, and overtones from that thing when turned way up. I had marks on the floor that I could get certain tones from the direction I was standing, and if I moved from that spot it turned into something else as interesting. But the sound was Earth shattering. I am amazed I can still hear well. I do have a slight tinnitus ringing in my ears but over time I got used to it....

Here's a familiar & early use of feedback that hit the pop charts.

BTW & FWIW, this isn't the take of the tune ya may've heard...chk the depth of Lennon's vox w/ out the harmonies.

Also, that's JL playing the riff etc, before Harrison added his part.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbM-jWRpwms

Here's another fave.

The gtr solo starts abt 1:00 in & the magic note happens abt 1:35~1:40.

Here's an excerpt from a live version of Machine Gun (not the classic Fillmore version) that gives us a good view of what JH was actually doing while he made his magick.

The only thing missing is what he was doing w/ the pickup switches at 1:30 when all that fluttery, stuttery stuff breaks out.

[video:youtube]

Here's a sample from a lesser known central Ga, USA, player, Glenn Phillips c. 1970 (he's still active).

Of course (?) this isn't just the territory of rockers.

Here's jazzbo Sonny Sharrock doing his thing...most of it's simply high volume + effects but he ends with some real feedback.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMjwLUcYzy4

Here's an interesting clip.

It's lacking the authentic audio but whoever can ID the part of Monterey Pop this starts with will lead us to another great example of Hendrix.

d=halfnote

omg

Yeah... That's pretty awesome all-around.

Is Fripp using an E-Bow there (like I believe he did on the original), or a Fernandes Sustainer pickup? (EDIT: I see now that he was in fact using the Fernandes Sustainer pickup, and not an E-Bow)

Whichever, my Sustainiac Model C (not a pickup/magnetic-driver, a vibrating transducer on the headstock) allows me to do the same. I love that thing!

To reiterate, whoever can ID the part of Monterey Pop this starts with will lead us to another great example of Hendrix.

Somebody gotta know this.

Eghrr... ! You've got me scratchin' my head, d, I know I should know and I can't think of it to save my life! :crazy:

I used to have that album! On vinyl! It was one of a few that I and buddy took to music class in 8th grade! :D Some of the others were Cheap Trick and AC/DC!

Yeah, Caev, I've seen that film many times in the past but can't think what song that shows.

Clearly, though, by the vid he's showing some non-typical playing techniques.

So far I haven't tracked it down on YT...& with recent scouring by his estate it may've been eliminated, although many Monterey clips are still there.

:idk

On the subject of Teddy, that Nugent boy, this track, notwithstanding...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCR3GSXGFc4

[note the pre-solo squall at 1:42 & how he both finger-syncs adjusting vol knob AND hints at flamenco tech to match the drum part at end of solo :laugh: ]

...TN was never a real fave of mine.

I must admit, though, that I learned one of my fave recording trix from him.

To expeditiously achieve feedback effects in studio, decide what pitches y'wanna hear &, on a 2nd track, record them as harmonics to be faded in as desired.

Some will no doubt call that "fake" but it saves time & gets to the point.

d=halfnote

omg

Yeah... That's pretty awesome all-around.

Is Fripp using an E-Bow there (like I believe he did on the original), or a Fernandes Sustainer pickup? (EDIT: I see now that he was in fact using the Fernandes Sustainer pickup, and not an E-Bow)

Whichever, my Sustainiac Model C (not a pickup/magnetic-driver, a vibrating transducer on the headstock) allows me to do the same. I love that thing!

Fripp's studio performance of "Heroes" predates the invention of the E-bow by 3 or 4 years, I think. Indeed, I've read that the inventor of the E-bow set out to build it in order to make it easier to reproduce what Fripp did without it.

Fripp's studio performance of "Heroes" predates the invention of the E-bow by 3 or 4 years, I think. Indeed, I've read that the inventor of the E-bow set out to build it in order to make it easier to reproduce what Fripp did without it.

THANK YOU for that clarification!! :cool::2thu:

I'd seen other guitarists live on-stage with Bowie playing that part with an E-Bow, so I assumed that that was the way it was originally done. Funny thing is, I'd also just figured that I didn't need an E-Bow to do much the same, myself! :laugh:

:rawk:

E-Bow ..... pffft!

Vibrators baby.

video quality is bad.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY2GoAN-z1s

Thanks for both of those, CEB! :cool:

THANK YOU for that clarification!! :cool::2thu:

I'd seen other guitarists live on-stage with Bowie playing that part with an E-Bow, so I assumed that that was the way it was originally done. Funny thing is, I'd also just figured that I didn't need an E-Bow to do much the same, myself! :laugh:

:rawk:

Fripp originally did it with amp feedback and his Frippertronics rig (2 reel to reel tape decks set up to be a loop).

I've had to play "Heroes" and used an Ebow + Deluxe Memory Man or Deluxe Memory Boy.

For those who haven't seen it... TV was so much cooler when I was a kid.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2wGj73hjTc

I remember that waaay back when! :laugh: Gad, I'm old. :crazy::D That was back when dinosaurs had propellers and airplanes ruled the earth... ;)

Not to drift too far afield but TV's even cooler now (chk the sheer abundance of what we're finding here).

It's just way more splintered.

d=halfnote

Not to drift too far afield but TV's even cooler now (chk the sheer abundance of what we're finding here).

It's just way more splintered.

Yeah... but as a pre-teen with only 12 channels of cable (4 local broadcast channels in my room, where I usually turned my small Sony set back on after my parents were asleep) I constantly found interesting stuff readily available. I remember this episode of the Midnight Special with Rick James hosting... I saw Public Image, LTD. on Tomorrow with Tom Snyder AND American Bandstand (!) around the same time... SNL had so many mind-expanding musical guests: DEVO, Talking Heads, B-52's, Elvis Costello, FEAR... I always loved talk shows back then because people talked, had actual conversations, instead of the planned and canned little stories someone writes for them to deliver, now... Frank Zappa and Jimmy "JJ" Walker and Kenny Rogers on the same Mike Douglass show... or Sherman "George Jefferson" Hemsley doing an interpretive dance to song by prog band Gong on Mike Douglass... while overall things were much "squarer," freaky things got through. Now, things might be hipper, but nothing out of place or unexpected ever seems to happen.

I've shared this opinion with guys I play with in their 20s, and they've searched out the clips of that era, and they say "you're right... things are pretty lame now compared to that!"

I think what yer pointing out, p90jr, is that in The Olden Times there was perforce a greater mix of genres, not just on TV but radio.

1964: not uncommon to hear the Beatles followed by Roger Miller followed by Sinatra---if not immediately then on consecutive programs.

These daze, w/ the incredible number of options, audiences are self-segregated.....which is one reason society overall is more fragmented...

NOT ENOUGH FEEDBACK !

d=halfnote

I think what yer pointing out, p90jr, is that in The Olden Times there was perforce a greater mix of genres, not just on TV but radio.

1964: not uncommon to hear the Beatles followed by Roger Miller followed by Sinatra---if not immediately then on consecutive programs.

These daze, w/ the incredible number of options, audiences are self-segregated.....which is one reason society overall is more fragmented...

NOT ENOUGH FEEDBACK !

+1000

____

____ Li'l Brother Midnight

NOT ENOUGH FEEDBACK !

+1000

+2000 :wave: