Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2837951 - 02/24/17 04:30 AM SUN TV
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I'd have bumped the older "Sun records" thread, but that has so many derailments in it that someone might have just thought I added some more of MY BS and ignore it. wink

But last night's premier of the TV show SUN RECORDS seemed to start out OK, and added more people at once than I thought it would have. And added some stuff about each person not covered in any previous bios.

Like after Elvis died, there was a plethora of TV movies made about his life. But none of them ever had a part which showed Elvis sneaking out of church to go sit in the back of the "colored" church to just sit and dig the music( me and some friends did that a few times back in the '60's, but not because we ever thought Elvis did it.). It didn't seem unlikely, so it was OK.

The movie "Walk The Line" never had a scene in which young Johnny Cash confronted his dad where some black people were moving into a nearby farmhouse. That movie also didn't hint that Cash's mom also played guitar. But maybe it's true and they left it out for some reason.

I also never heard of that "Bebop Boy" Phillips found in some bar on Beale Street and brought into his studio. Anyone know anything about HIM?

I also wasn't aware of Col. Parker once representing EDDY ARNOLD. OR the Colonel's carny history.

All in all pretty well done. Good looking and well plotted production and I'm sure not to miss any following episodes.
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (02/24/17 04:31 AM)

GP Island
#2838091 - 02/25/17 04:38 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Does this mean ALL of you missed it?
Whitefang

#2838102 - 02/25/17 06:51 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
I did not see it... cool

#2838111 - 02/25/17 08:25 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I do not have cable or satellite. I refuse to pay a single penny for TV. I have an antenna someone gave me and I get about 20 channels. I keep the TV turned off most of the time except when my wife is at home. And thankfully she watches netflix on her i-pad with headphones, so I don't have to endure her taste in TV either.

However I would have watched that Sun Records thing if I was aware it was on.

#2838139 - 02/25/17 10:55 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, it WAS brought up in some length in the "Sun Records" thread( that seems to have vanished) so.....

It shouldn't be hard to find on any outlet that has an InDemand service to it, and for the "tech-addicted" I'm sure you might be able to locate in on YouTube stuck in the middle of all that other artistic fare like grumpy cats and mannequin challenges wink
Whitefang

#2838225 - 02/26/17 04:14 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It also seem(from what they showed so far and in the "sneak peek" of the next episode) that they're forwarding the idea that Elvis and Dad VERNON had a strained relationship. The other bios I've seen about Elvis gave the impression that the two were congenial in a "Ward & Wally" kind of way. So I'm wondering what's the real story there.
Whitefang

#2838229 - 02/26/17 04:28 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I was aware of Tom Parker's carny history from an article about in in Rolling Stone back in the mid 70's. Apparently, he was a somewhat unsavory character, at least some of the time.

#2838254 - 02/26/17 09:41 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: whitefang
Well, it WAS brought up in some length in the "Sun Records" thread( that seems to have vanished))
Whitefang

Not vanished. If you do a quick search, it comes up right away. (In case you wanted to reference it.)
My Pics

#2838273 - 02/26/17 11:29 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: A String]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks A String. But no matter now.

There was a lot of discussion in there about the origins of rock'n'roll, and in that spirit, I'd like to make a late shout out to FATS DOMINO, often not mentioned in discussins of rock pioneers, who turns 89 today. Detroiter MITCH RYDER is 72 today as well.

But happy birthday Fats. Still finding your thrill, eh?

Now, back to the topic at hand
Whitefang

#2838274 - 02/26/17 11:32 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FATS! You're one of my all-time favorites! and Happy Birthday to Mitch Ryder! twothumbs

#2838384 - 02/27/17 04:31 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I never knew that about Mitch, but remember reading somewhere(back when he was relevant) that he claimed to be a big Fats Domino fan growing up.

It must have been a trip for him if he knew then they shared the same birthdate. Just as it would be for you Larry, to learn either Elvis or Scotty has the same birthdate as you. Or Bob Dylan or Chuck Berry with me. wink
Whitefang

#2838431 - 02/27/17 08:05 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Elvis was close on January 8th. Mine is 5 days later on the 13th... cool

Edited by Larryz (02/27/17 08:06 AM)

#2838672 - 02/28/17 04:22 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm in July. There ARE a few celebrities I share a birthdate with, but no well known musicians or any that I'm a fan of. frown
Whitefang

#2839286 - 03/03/17 04:11 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Last night was the second installment of this TV show.

So far, the only flaw(for me) in it is that they seem to be trying to cover too many people and get in too much info as quickly as possible. Last night's episode started off with a young Jerry Lee and cuz Falwell getting chased out of a "colored" juke joint. Then the Colonel hawking Eddy Arnold's record, to Sam Phillips sneaking in his house in the early morning after banging Marian the night before in the studio.

Then Johnny Cash leaving home for the Air Force followed by Elvis bugging some girl in the high school gym, and B.B. King in the Sun studio and back and forth with all the others. And covering quickly the money problems Sam was having.

I think it might be better if they followed the story of Sun chronologically with the various artists coming in and out as they showe up at the door. It looks as if they're trying to squeeze in too many biographies at the same time, and nobody gets the attention they deserve, least of all Sam.
Whitefang

#2842369 - 03/17/17 03:50 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Now they're REALLY scrambling stuff up.

Looks like Sam's gonna go for electric shock therapy, and it showed where Cash got into fistfight in East Germany,and got "treated" by his friends in a German brothel, and Jerry Lee Lewis is competing with cousin Jimmy for the heart of some girl and the Colonel is trying to dodge a loan shark.

This show needs to get back to more concentrating on the MUSIC.
Whitefang

#2842438 - 03/17/17 09:36 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A buddy of mine watches the show and really likes it...Glad you are keeping us updated as to what's going on Fang. I think Netflix will have it on DVD rentals in the future and I'll watch the whole series later on. +1 I would be more interested in the music, musicians and history of the studio (along with the tie to Chess Records) than in the soap opera... cool

#2842570 - 03/18/17 04:57 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Netflix will probably have it withOUT all those commercials, so you're wise to wait. smile
Whitefang

#2842605 - 03/18/17 09:42 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 Fang, I like waiting until the TV series comes out on DVD and getting it from Netflix sans commercials. I can watch 5 episodes in one evening and send the DVD back the next day... cool

#2843058 - 03/20/17 09:26 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: Larryz]
3dog Offline

There was a show I watched on PBS called "Good Rockin' Tonight - The Legacy of Sun Records" @ 2001. I ordered and have the VHS. There was also DVD of some of the songs but not all of the ones on the VHS. The shows told a story of Sun Records and had other Musicians doing their version of some Sun Records tunes. For example they had Matchbox Twenty (Rob Thomas) doing Lonley Weekend. I love his cover of that tune. YouTube link but this is not the video in the show but it is the arrangement: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H_XEaubusaA

I caught the 1st show of Sun and enjoyed. I don't think it is going to focus on the music but is focusing on the roots. I think it is Fake News and I am sure they will take liberties with the facts. I don't have a problem with that unless a US president does it, I am just saying.

YouTube link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=moiRZBVv7Hs

Check out My Bucket Got a Whole In It - Robert Plant version @ 8 mins in : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CgYtnxPu2u8

Edited by 3dog (03/20/17 09:56 AM)

#2843177 - 03/20/17 03:15 PM Re: SUN TV [Re: 3dog]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"Fake News"?

MAN, but am I TIRED of that misused and overused phrase.

But I know what you mean, and there's a similar opinion in another forum I'm in about FEUD which is about the rumored rocky rlationship between Joan Crawford and Bette Davis.
Whitefang

#2844179 - 03/24/17 05:03 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
I'm in July. There ARE a few celebrities I share a birthdate with, but no well known musicians or any that I'm a fan of. frown
Whitefang

However, when researching this sort of thing for another forum, I found out MIKE BLOOMFIELD and I have the same birthdate.

Now, back to the show......

DJ Dewy Phillips(no relation I think) gets beat up when some good ol' boys discover he's not only white, but playing that "jungle music" and getting "our womenfolk" all worked up over it.

Sam gets released from the mental hospital after promising his wife to give up all this record company nonsense and taking a job doing "drive time" radio in Nashville. He renigs on that, instead going to a local prison to hear a vocal group of black convicts sing and Marion arranges to have them brought to Sun and get recorded. a record, "Just Walkin' In The Rain" was released and they were called "The Prisonaires". For the hell of it, I looked it up and that song it seemed, sold 50,000 copies.

Elvis finally comes in to record a song for his Mother. Shows him at first singing "That's Amore" and finally settling, on Sam's suggestion, records "My Happiness". It's played for Gladys at a backyard barbeque for hier birthday, and Vernon calls it "a waste of good money".

Somewhere in there it's shown that Johnny Cash sings a marriage proposal over the phone long distance to his girl, and Jerry Lee Lewis and cousin Jimmy get into a fight at a church picnic when Jerry Lee teases his "cuz" about being a loser with girls.

And the Colonel is still cheating Hank Snow and loses the money he told Hank was going to be a business investment in a crap game and is still trying to dodge a loan shark.

And Sam's wife announces the expecting of their second child.
Whitefang cry

#2846441 - 04/02/17 10:21 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK....

Elvis meets Scotty and Bill at Sun when Sam calls him to sing on some song he thought was great. It didn't work out too well, and while Scoty and Bill were griping about wasting time working with the "nice kid", Sam overhears Elvis passing the time in the studio singing "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" to himself, likes the treatment Elvis gave it, records it and takes Elvis, Marion and copies of the acetate on the road.

Not much happening with the stories of Cash and Jerry Lee, and The Colonel is still trying to scam money and gets beaten up while in the tub by a couple of the loan shark's thugs, over a land deal.

So far, outside of SOME of the music, the best thing about this show is the '50's era Buick Eight Sam drives.

The DEWEY PHILLIPS character is annoying however.
Whitefang

#2846456 - 04/02/17 11:52 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The SUN TV story is a little bit off IMHO. The song Elvis was fooling around with was That's Alright by Arthur Crudup. It was the 1st song that was recorded by Elvis and played on the radio. Scotty and Bill loved the tune but thought they would get run out of town when it hit the airways. Blue Moon of Kentucky is on side B and was the 2nd song Elvis recorded the next evening. Which was the song the country boys didn't care for at the Grand Old Opry... cool

"Presley's recording[edit]
During an uneventful recording session at Sun Studios on the evening of July 5, 1954, Presley, Scotty Moore (guitar) and Bill Black (string bass) were taking a break between recordings when Presley started fooling around with an up-tempo version of Arthur Crudup's song "That's All Right, Mama".[6] Black began joining in on his upright bass, and soon they were joined by Moore on guitar.[6] Producer Sam Phillips, taken aback by this sudden upbeat atmosphere, asked the three of them to start again so he could record it.[6]
Black's bass and guitars from Presley and Moore provided the instrumentation. The recording contains no drums or additional instruments. The song was produced in the style of a "live" recording (all parts performed at once and recorded on a single track).[14] The following evening the trio recorded "Blue Moon of Kentucky" in a similar style, and it was selected as the B-side to "That's All Right".[6]
The recording session was Presley's fifth visit to the Sun Studio.[15] His first two visits, the summer of 1953 and January 1954, had been private recordings, followed by two more visits in the summer of 1954.[15]
Upon finishing the recording session, according to Scotty Moore, Bill Black remarked, "Damn. Get that on the radio and they'll run us out of town." Wiki" cool

Edited by Larryz (04/02/17 12:50 PM)

#2846539 - 04/02/17 08:56 PM Re: SUN TV [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Heh. Yeah, was thinking that while watching. The only mention of "That's Alright" was a scene in which Sam is getting frustrated at the slow going on moving the record by saying in frustration, "I should have made "That's Alright" the "A" side!" grin They didn't even show a SECOND of Elvis doing that one! crazy
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (04/02/17 08:57 PM)

#2847540 - 04/07/17 04:18 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'll try my best to remember it all....

Elvis is performing at a music show in which the headliner is SLIM WHITMAN. Elvis is listed on the poster as "ELLIS Presley".

He does "Good Rockin' Tonight" to the delight of the girlies, but to the disgust of the older people in the crowd, who leave.

He later is "warm up" for Hank Snow at THE LOUISIANA HAYRIDE which the girls in the crowd also go nuts for, but to Hank's dismay, start leaving when HE starts crooning. The Colonel hears him there, and manages to get Vernon and Gladys' phone number and invites himself over to talk with them. But first tells Elvis how much he likes him, advising him to get a better wardrobe and hints that "The LABEL'S supposed to buy it FOR you."

Jerry Lee get's kicked out of his church, but manages to talk his way back in, but gets caught by his wife diddling another girl in the church coatroom and stomps off demanding a divorce.

Cash comes back from the Air Force and marries Vivian. She later announces she's pregnant to Johnny's delight, but is seen later having no luck selling vacuum cleaners dor-to-door.

Jerry Lee too, is seen getting VERY lucky with a bored housewife when he's selling Fuller Brushes door-to-door! wink

In one segment, Elvis is seen trying to put "Good Rockin' " on tape when Sam stops him and tries to get him to put more into it, and calls for a break. Sam's wife shows up and when they all go back into the studio, her water breaks and they all rush off to the hospital. Marion is upset to see Sam cuddle up with his wife and new son. Later, Sam catches Marion and the radio station manager she's been dating getting it on in the studio one night, and HE gets upset.

Elvis, played by an actor who DOESN'T seem to have his naturally red hair, is seen dyeing it black, which upsets Vernon, and the two argue and Elvis stomps off.

No sight of Carl Perkins yet.
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (04/07/17 04:20 AM)

#2849327 - 04/14/17 03:48 AM Re: SUN TV [Re: whitefang]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Last night it started off with two guys pulling up to Jerry Lee's house and dragging him out claiming their sister was pregnant and saying HE was the daddy. Shotgun wedding!

Elvis does some kind of outdoor show wiith a bunch of girlies screaming while he does his "pelvis" thing and his girlfriend is upset. Sam is having money troubles, but still claims Elvis will pull him out of it. And keeps calling Elvis "Elvi"(rhymes with pie). Colonel Parker talks with Elvis and his folks and offers them some kind of contract. They're sitting in the lobby of the Peabody Hotel and when the Presleys go off to watch the ducks, Parker puts THAT contract in his coat pocket and pulls out a different one.

CARL PERKINS and his brothers finally show up at Sun. They set up quickly and start playing "Blue Suede Shoes", but Sam walks out in the middle to go confront the Colonel. The Col. offers to take over Elvis' management, and Sam tells him to piss off.

Johnny Cash is looking for a band. He comes across a bunch of guys who claim they don't NEED a singer.

Elvis shows up at a drive-in with his car radio blasting Wynonie Harris's "Bloodshot Eyes" , and his girlfriend breaks up with him thinking his fame means more to him than she does.

Carl Perkins is seen in a bar singing "Blue Suede Shoes" while playing a Les Paul. Sam and Marion are on the outs, and the episode ends with Sam "selling" Elvis to the Colonel and RCA for $40,000.
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose